Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69
Default Easter Baskets

so tell me what you put in your kids Easter Baskets I have kids that range from 19 to 4.5 so help me out....
Girl 19
Boy 11
Girl 6
Boy 4.5

plus I am also making DD's 19 y/o BF one too

ETA: I am not looking to spend a whole lot of money so if you have any creative ideas that would be great as well

Last edited by nun69; 04-04-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My son is a one and only child, so he's a bit spoiled. He's also 5. His will have the Skylanders game for our Xbox, 6 DVDs he's been wanting, 2 action figures (Hulk and Captain America), Cadbury Eggs, a white chocolate bunny and a new bike helmet.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I only have DH, he's getting water balloons, a squirt gun pack, a chocolate bunny, and a bunch of toehr little candy things
Old 04-04-2012, 07:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

hubby is getting peanut m&ms, flavored albums, beef jerky...

kiddo (5) is getting dinosaur train set and a baseball glove.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My girls are 6 and they're getting one of those little 'sad eyed' stuffed toys... I think they're TY? I don't know but they're bunnies with really huge eyes and they're cute as heck lol. I also got them new pretty pencils, a personal size notebook with a puppy on the cover, some crayola colored bubbles, and I know a few other little toys, but I can't remember them right now and I can't check because the girls aren't asleep yet I also got them a chocolate bunny, some egg shaped gum and a few other little candies.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

We only do candy LOL
Old 04-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My kids are a 17 year old boy and my girls are 16 and 12. Thank heavens for our big trip this summer. They are each getting a $50 gift card to Universal Studios Resort in Florida (they got tons of Disney for Christmas) and a small extra gift or two. That's all. I usually do elaborate baskets (the last few years the girls have gotten a purse as the "basket") but I have no desire this year and they finally all know the truth about the Easter Bunny. I'm so relieved.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Small toy, candy, one new DVD each and one new book each.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Brie where did you get the colored bubbles? I would love it if I can find them local ,but I bet I don't have time to order them online
Old 04-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My kids are each getting a new Bible Easter morning and then an Easter basket with candy in the afternoon.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I think this year I am going to put little beach buckets from the $1 store, of coarse, inside their baskets to take up some room! or I might just make their baskets THE Beach buskets adn fill them!!!
of coarse I need to fill up some plastic eggs to hide outside for them too!!!! I like putting quarters in them cause the kids love finding money

I also found this cute idea on pinterest

Last edited by nun69; 04-04-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
Oooh... so need to do this! I need to shop tomorrow and get it done before the kids get home from school as there is no school Friday. Love that!

I'm so behind this year. I usually do MUCH more but, yikes, its been crazy lately.

This year DD is getting some American Girl sorta stuff. She's getting an American Girl book called Curbing Clutter (which I hope helps her with her room!), a homemade AG doll outfit, and two accessories that came from Walmart but are designed for AG sized dolls, a carrier that holds two dolls (she has one but is getting another for her birthday) and a high chair thing that attaches to the table. I'll throw in some candy as well.

For the boy... legos! I have a treo brand set (I think its treo?) that is a transformer. I got it free with a coupon. Then there is another lego set that is a car track that I got on clearance for next to nothing (saved $11 on it!). He's getting a paper airplane book that one of the companies who pedal their wares at school had. I wasn't going to get it for him but the American Girl book for the girl was a last minute thing so I wanted to kind of keep things even. I was trying to entertain a little boy today at school after he finished his state assessment and waited for his class to finish up and I made paper airplanes with him. It was fun doing it with him, I figured I'd really love doing it with my son.

The bunny usually leaves a family basket in addition to personal baskets for the kids. This usually holds some big bags of candies and themed stuff like bunny shaped marshmallows or Easter pasta... a DVD, etc. Not sure at all what will be in that or if we'll even do that this year.

For inside eggs I have squinkies, little bottles of bubbles, erasers and little rings. I'll put in some candy and some coins (they love that) before we hide them.

Now and then the Easter Bunny will leave a basket for them to share. One year it was actually a gardening bucket (kind of like a wheel barrow only shaped differently) with all sorts of gardening tools for kids and outdoor stuff. Another year it was a big basket of board games. Those are the most fun for me.

I never spend much on these despite the fact that I kind of end up getting the kids a lot. I shop all year, use coupons, find sales, and get lots of stuff free (either through coupons or gift cards I get from swagbucks, superpoints, etc.)
Old 04-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbrie View Post
My girls are 6 and they're getting one of those little 'sad eyed' stuffed toys... I think they're TY? I don't know but they're bunnies with really huge eyes and they're cute as heck lol. I also got them new pretty pencils, a personal size notebook with a puppy on the cover, some crayola colored bubbles, and I know a few other little toys, but I can't remember them right now and I can't check because the girls aren't asleep yet I also got them a chocolate bunny, some egg shaped gum and a few other little candies.
Mine got colored bubbles last year and just beware that they are very messy and they even stained their clothes. It took a lot of soaking and scrubbing before I finally got the stain out and even then you could still see it a little. It was like blowing food coloring around lol

Old 04-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

my girls are 4 and 2 ... they will get a little bit of candy (I am thinking fruit snacks instead of the pure pure sugar things), some outside toys (rakes, pails, skipping rope). My 2 yr old I might buy her some big girl panties and some play necklaces. I can't remember what I have planned for my 4 yr old...I've got a list somewhere. We are going shopping tomorrow....not sure how that's going to work with having them along, but whatever...the Easter bunny isnt something we push around here. But we like to have fun with an egg hunt.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

how about some funky nail polish for the older girls?
Old 04-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I usually do a small toy (under $15), candy, a chocolate bunny, and a book. I think I'll add a jump rope for DS and some new panties for DD. In the past we've done new Bibles, a kite, bubbles, chalk, crayon sets, and card games.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My boys are 13 and 11 and I haven't done an Easter basket in 2 years, I think. They always get baskets in the mail from their grandparents, though, so they get plenty of candy and usually a book. I really like your idea, Misty; I may see if I can get them Bibles before Sunday. I'd like for them both to have age-approiate application Bibles.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

love the idea of new nail polish that will work for both of my girls...and it's funny cause I told my oldest that she was gonna miss Easter beacuse she will be on her way to the Carribean on a cruise and she told me "Um, then we have to do it before I leave" LOL!!!!! so I think I am going to make hers up and give it to her on Thurs night after my other kids go to bed
Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

and how fun is this idea!!!!! glow in the dark easter egg hunt!!!
http://lilluna.com/glow-in-the-dark-easter-eggs/
Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I shop the Target dollar spot a lot for basket fillers...usually lots of cute stuff in there and DD loves all the stationary type stuff they have there. Other than that she usually gets peeps, a chocolate bunny and some misc. small candy bits.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We bought the "The Rhyme Bible Storybook" (Zonderkidz) for DS a few years ago. Our kids love it (3 &5). Just a suggestion if anyone is thinking about gifting a Bible for Easter.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My son is 20 and he will get a small basket with some chocolate in it. It's more sentimental than any thing.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Angie, I got the colored bubbles at WalMart... They were $3 for a small bottle, but I figured they'll love them, and if they use them all up on one day, they'll have a blast and then they'll be done... Like Nikki said, I've heard they're horrible for staining EVERYthing! I figure I'll just be prepared to put them in old clothes and let them have at it til the bubbles are gone
Old 04-05-2012, 07:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ds
- Angry Bird "Blue" from Rio. He loves the movie & has been begging us for one for a while now. Santa was suppose to bring one for Christmas but they were sold out everywhere.
- 3 Hot Wheels "Easter Surprise" cars. Found them in the Hot Wheel asile for $1 each. Each bag contains one Easter themed Hot Wheel's car.
- Mickey Mouse bubbles
- Thomas the Train dvd
- 1 small/medium size chocolate bunny

DD3
- Angry Bird from Rio - Santa couldn't find one
- Disney Princess Doll
- Princess bubbles
- Brush/Comb set since she's been all about her hair lately
- 1 Easter dress

DD1
- Little People "Egg Mover" toy
- Little People people set that has Bat Man & Wonder Women
- Easter dress
- Hop DVD
- Bunny stuffed animal
- one small chocolate bunny

*DD3 can't have a chocolate bunny because of the milk in it. So we're still trying to figure out what she can have.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:31 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

FYI: Colored bubbles are of the devil.

Our easter baskets will have candy, a magazine/comic book and something else I"ll buy tomorrow,lol.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

There will be some candy in the boy's baskets, Tristan (7) and Julian (4). Some bubbles, bunny shaped glasses, little dinosaur sets, etc, basically some novelty items from the Easter isle LOL. I'm still stumped on a bigger item :/. Julian loves cars so probably something like that for him. Tristan wants Super Mario Galaxy 2 :/ I don't want to disappoint him but I really don't want to spend that much. I guess we'll see if my wallet or my mommy guilt wins that one LOL.

Gabriel has special needs so his basket will have treats he likes like pudding, yogurt and cotton candy. He'll get bubbles and ribbons and beads since he's very sensory seeking. No idea what big toy to put in his either :/.

Sophie will get some baby snacks, like puffs and yogurt melts and a few small baby toys. I don't think I'm going to put anything really big in hers. I've thought about doing a stuffed bunny or a baby doll though.

I'm running out of time quickly, I guess I need to get on the ball LOL!

::Tabatha::
proud mom to Gabriel {11}, Tristan {10} Julian {6}, Sophie {3}, Lucius {1} & Ezekiel {5.28.14}
Forever Missing Katriel Star (17 weeks) and Sebastian Judah (14 weeks)
Old 04-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Some things I forgot to add last night -
I also got them some glitter putty in an egg shaped container, some rabbit shaped water bottles, new chapstic, some pastel shaped drinking straws, and a bunny face mask. I love that my girls are still little and amazed by all the little trinkets that I can find at Walmart and Walgreens... They're so easy for stuff like this at this age!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cheyanne gets a movie every year and a book (Hop and Catching Fire this year). We are a candy-free house but she does get one Cadbury egg in her basket. Instead of candy she gets several of her favorite Luna and Odwalla bars (she eats one before every track practice )

I usually include a spring outfit because she's always outgrowing her clothes so this year I got her a new dress and a shirt from AP. She also needs a new sports bra and spandex running shorts and tops for track season so she's getting those. I love when a holiday comes at the same time as a sports season so I can buy things she actually needs and would have been buying anyway, but she thinks it's great that she got all the stuff!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My girls (ages 8 & 10) are both getting these necklaces I ordered on Etsy during a 50% off sale, they are personalized with their names and birthstones and they turned out really cute. I think they will both love them!

I haven't decided for sure what to get Kyle (almost 5) yet, he's said he wants the Imaginext Triceratop to go with all the other Imaginext dinosaurs he got for Christmas so I may get him that if I can find one.

I also plan on picking them up some small things for them from the Target Dollar Spot, they all like the little notebooks and pens and stickers and stuff like that. And they always get a couple pieces of candy or chocolate in their baskets too.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We used to do Easter HUGE when the boys were younger. Now I do a six-pack of their favorite soda, candy, and some money.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I found my list. For DD1 I want to get her some new markers and glue (this will make her over the moon happy LOL). And some stickers and lip gloss, and maybe some candy for her princess pez dispenser if I can find some. She also loves jellybeans - strange child, she wont touch chocolate. LOL We will also browse the dollarama for bubbles and notepads and things like that.

They are also getting a TRAMPOLINE from my parents. (can you say spoiled?) I cant wait though...they will LOOOOOVE it!! I am going to need an outdoor home office this summer. LOL

Old 04-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I went really cheap this year: jumprope, candy, little stuffed animal.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 04-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
Mine got colored bubbles last year and just beware that they are very messy and they even stained their clothes. It took a lot of soaking and scrubbing before I finally got the stain out and even then you could still see it a little. It was like blowing food coloring around lol
The same thing happened to us last year. My in-laws got them for the kids, and we had stained Easter clothes (not that they were super fancy clothes, but still, they were clothes)
Old 04-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We just mostly do candy in ours because I'm cheap, lol. I might get some cute pencils or something at the dollar store though. I try to make it fun without a lot of money. I do a big scavenger hunt to find the basket. They'll start in the house, and I give them the first clue, then they have to follow it to the next, etc. They'll go all through the yard and house collecting plastic eggs filled with candy/stickers/etc, and then finally they will find their big basket of candy.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love doing Easter baskets. I try to put in more "things" vs candy because I hate the sugar overload. (and candy isn't cheap either) This year both girls got their junk food, bunny ears and silly string. My oldest DD got nail polish, mascara, high heel inserts to keep your feet from slipping, razors and facial cleanser. Younger DD got sunglasses, a pack of fun socks and a cheap DS game. They sound kind of lame with all the practical stuff but I'm pretty sure they'll be thrilled.

They've got junk in eggs to hunt too, stickers, mini post its, magnets, clips, change, Redbox coupons....
Old 04-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I think this year I am going to put little beach buckets from the $1 store, of coarse, inside their baskets to take up some room! or I might just make their baskets THE Beach buskets adn fill them!!!
of coarse I need to fill up some plastic eggs to hide outside for them too!!!! I like putting quarters in them cause the kids love finding money

I also found this cute idea on pinterest
Thanks for posting this. I think I'll make those.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMelissa View Post
*DD3 can't have a chocolate bunny because of the milk in it. So we're still trying to figure out what she can have.
Not enough time to order online, but they do make dairy free chocolate bunnies, etc. Maybe call a local health food or specialty grocery store if you have one in the area?
Old 04-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So, I've read this whole thread and I need some more English/American explaining please. Easter in England means a chocolate Easter egg. You don't get presents like you are all talking about so I'm thinking it must be more of an American tradition. Do you not have chocolate easter eggs?
Old 04-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Gourley View Post
So, I've read this whole thread and I need some more English/American explaining please. Easter in England means a chocolate Easter egg. You don't get presents like you are all talking about so I'm thinking it must be more of an American tradition. Do you not have chocolate easter eggs?
Someone else can answer also but I think the bigger presents are a response to trying to get away from sweets. I think it is a newer phenomenon. At least it wasn't a regular practice in my family. Maybe we would get a tiny trinket, religious bookmark, etc. and sweets/food.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Gourley View Post
I think it's just evolved over the years... when I was little in the 70's early 80's we mostly got chocolate bunnies and candy..then you started seeing these prepackaged baskets in stores that were filled with small toys and candy and stuff..now stores really market to "basket stuffers" kind of like "stocking stuffers" at Christmas time.

I try to not overdo for Easter b/c in our home we really focus on the Resurrection and it being the main reason that we celebrate..our kids get their baskets on Saturday mornings instead of Sunday.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I tried to scale back this year -but the girls had other plans. They love hunting eggs, the harder to find the better.

I got them each a new noodle for the pool. A set of pump action water guns for the pool. Hannah (9) a new swim suit, Katie (13) a pair of work out capris. Then I got each their favorite candy Kit Kats and Reese's eggs and then some jelly beans. I'll hide a bunch of eggs filled with Skittles mini packs and money. They already have so much stuff and they don't need the candy - plus now that I'm working from home I don't have anyone to take the leftover candy too. Just me, here with candy....not good!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For DD1:
Webkinz stuffy (Dreamy Sheep)
book (Dr. Proctor's Fart Powder: Bubble in the Bathtub)
small container of sidewalk chalk
pair of sneakers
hula hoop
mini Lalaloopsy doll (Rosy Bumps 'n Bruises)

For DD2:
small stuffy (Pepper the Cat)
large container of sidewalk chalk
bath tints
pair of fashion sandals
water gun
mini Lalaloopsy doll (Suzette La Sweet)

I got them each a chocolate egg (mint Aero for DD1 & regular Aero for DD2) then foiled chocolate, pb & caramel eggs to hide and put in plastic eggs.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
and how fun is this idea!!!!! glow in the dark easter egg hunt!!!
http://lilluna.com/glow-in-the-dark-easter-eggs/
I am TOTALLY going to do this next year. Heck, I might even pull out the eggs and do this this summer (call it something other than an Easter egg hunt though) for some night time fun.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
There will be some candy in the boy's baskets, Tristan (7) and Julian (4). Some bubbles, bunny shaped glasses, little dinosaur sets, etc, basically some novelty items from the Easter isle LOL. I'm still stumped on a bigger item :/. Julian loves cars so probably something like that for him. Tristan wants Super Mario Galaxy 2 :/ I don't want to disappoint him but I really don't want to spend that much. I guess we'll see if my wallet or my mommy guilt wins that one LOL.

Gabriel has special needs so his basket will have treats he likes like pudding, yogurt and cotton candy. He'll get bubbles and ribbons and beads since he's very sensory seeking. No idea what big toy to put in his either :/.

Sophie will get some baby snacks, like puffs and yogurt melts and a few small baby toys. I don't think I'm going to put anything really big in hers. I've thought about doing a stuffed bunny or a baby doll though.

I'm running out of time quickly, I guess I need to get on the ball LOL!
You mentioning getting Sophie a stuffed bunny reminded me of how much I miss buying my kiddos stuffed bunnies for Easter. They haven't exactly outgrown them (even at 9 and 6) but we have so many from previous years that its pathetic. Those bunnies really do multiply
Old 04-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna View Post
My girls (ages 8 & 10) are both getting these necklaces I ordered on Etsy during a 50% off sale, they are personalized with their names and birthstones and they turned out really cute. I think they will both love them!

Love this! I've been thinking of getting one for myself with my kids' names on it but I'd also like one for DD with her name. I think it would be a good end of the year gift.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I think it's just evolved over the years... when I was little in the 70's early 80's we mostly got chocolate bunnies and candy..then you started seeing these prepackaged baskets in stores that were filled with small toys and candy and stuff..now stores really market to "basket stuffers" kind of like "stocking stuffers" at Christmas time.

I try to not overdo for Easter b/c in our home we really focus on the Resurrection and it being the main reason that we celebrate..our kids get their baskets on Saturday mornings instead of Sunday.
You know, I was born in the mid 70's and I remember see photos early on of my Easter baskets and they always had toys and other gifts. I don't know if my grandma was just ahead of the trend or what though. I remember Easter always being a gift giving holiday in my family. It was Christmas, Easter and birthdays. Other than that, we didn't get gifts. I'm a sucker and my kids get stuff for Mardi Gras, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, etc. If it can be considered, even remotely, a holiday, I celebrate it with them.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Now that I've responded to all the posts I wanted to directly respond to...

LOL

I finished my shopping today. I had to buy plastic eggs since we had thrown out all that was left from previous years (we ALWAYS save them but last year I got sick of stepping on them and threw them out because the kids refused to pick them up and I went on a rampage). I decided to go with a family basket like we've done in the past (in addition to their individual baskets). For the family basket I got a box of marigold seeds, 2 humming bird feeders, mix for the humming bird feeders, and 4 different bird feeders along with a bag of seed. I also got some cadbury eggs and 3 types of miniature candy bar (not from the Easter aisle). I could have gone crazy with Easter candy but decided to keep it to a minimum this year. They'll each get an egg and a small candy bar or two and that will be that. They have been begging me for bird feeders for a while now and when I saw some on sale today I figured it was a good time to get them.

Oh... daughter comes home from school today upset. They had a drawing for prizes (donated by various companies around town) for those kids who met standards or got a better score than they did last year on their standardized tests. She didn't get drawn (raffle style) and she was pretty hurt by it. I told her that not everyone can win every time and that she had gotten drawn for things in the past, it was someone else's turn this time. She started to cry and said "But Mom, I wanted a skateboard!" then she proceeded to ask me if the Easter Bunny might bring skateboards. LOL
Old 04-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I was born in '76 and we got things like skipping ropes, bubbles, chalk, hula hoops...stuff you could play with outside. And stuffed Easter animals. It IS more commercialized nowadays but the gift thing isn't new.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i'm struggling with what to get my son...so far i know he'll get a xbox game and one of the batman bad guys...he doesn't eat chocolate...so i may get him a gift card to DQ because he loves soft serve