Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Let's Talk Wedding Gifts...

Seems I'm in a conversational mood today. LOL!

OK, so my brother is getting married on March 14, we just found out yesterday for sure (they came up with this on Sunday). Anyway, in the rush of figuring everything out (I need a dress, and I have to get DH a shirt and tie, and one for Mason as well...thank goodness they both have black suits) I realized I have to get a gift for them. Ahhhh...

I don't know ANYTHING about my soon-to-be SIL, she's really really shy and both times I've met her, I've only said about 5 words to her. My brother is off-the-wall a bit, they're both young (she's 19, he's 23), so I want to get them something fun, but something they'll use (they need everything, since they've both lived at home until now).

What is something that you didn't receive that you really wish you did? What did you get WAY too many of? They won't be getting a lot of gifts, as they're only inviting about 30 people, so whatever we give them will be appreciated, I'm sure...but this is my little brother (who we NEVER thought would find a girlfriend, let alone get married, lol), so I want it to be awesome.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Bar ware

ETA:I'm useless, but that's what I would want from a big sister, lol
Old 03-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

Not sure what your thinking money wise. My fav gifts were a pots and pans set and a gas grill. We used the heck out of both of those when we were first married. And then of course CA$H!!!!

Don't get them photo frames...do you know how many I sold at a garage sale that I never even used? LOL

Old 03-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, let's say $50-$75 ish. My parents bought them a full set of pots & pans (tradition, lol...each of us got that from them).
Old 03-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

since they are young and have lived at home..hmm are they registered anywhere? They may just enjoy the $$$ or like Tracy said pots, pans, anything that's almost everyday appliance wear. A Forman grill, toaster, micro, etc..maybe a few matching appliances lol

I stink at this too! haha Gift cards work great too

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 03-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I did a great sheet set for my brother & SIL. I got high thread count ... we all know how much those newlyweds are in bed LOL. I also gave her those bed/lap trays at her bridal shower ... you could make a whole "breakfast in bed" theme LOL
Old 03-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I got lots of cash at my wedding, we lived together, so we didn't really need anything, so the opposite problem.

If they aren't registered anywhere, perhaps a gift card to a nice store for them to buy some nice dishes or something? Or the cash could work too. Maybe after the wedding you could do a cute project or something for them, as well.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So presumably they've figured out where they'll be living after the wedding? How much space do they need to furnish? Do they have anything aside from the pots and pans your parents are giving them?

Agreed about photo frames. In theory they seem like such a great gift, because everyone is going to have pictures they'll want to put up, right? But frames are pretty personal and I think most people like to pick their own. I kept my wedding gift frame around out of guilt for a few years. And by "around" I mean in a box tucked away well out of sight. I thought maybe I'd do some sort of altered art thing to it some day and then somehow feel less guilty about hating it, but it was so far from anything remotely resembling my taste. It went in one of the charity pick-ups eventually.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would say a GC for a place that you know they would shop at. Another idea is a big gift basket with half of it for your brother and the other half for your SIL. Bath/Spa products are always good for the girlie side and maybe some barware for your brother....Just a thought!!!!!

Proudly creating for:
LCC by Amy Stoffel, Cori Gammon, DIGI SCRAP ADDICTS Site CT,
Faith True, Geek Chic Scraps, Jac Bernardo, Laura Banasiak, Litabells Designs, Kelley Mickus, Micheline Martin Designs, Nikki Epperson,
Penny Springmann, SCRAP ORCHARD Site CT, THE DAILY SCRAPPER Site CT
Old 03-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think all they have is a bed (they're either taking her "full" bed from her room, or his "double" bed from my parents) and pots & pans. They found an apartment yesterday. LOL! I heard that a friend made them a quilt, but don't know when they'll get it because they didn't invite her to the wedding (it's immediate family only). That's ALL I know, lol.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzyscrap View Post
I think all they have is a bed (they're either taking her "full" bed from her room, or his "double" bed from my parents) and pots & pans. They found an apartment yesterday. LOL! I heard that a friend made them a quilt, but don't know when they'll get it because they didn't invite her to the wedding (it's immediate family only). That's ALL I know, lol.
Then I vote for a Gift Card to like Bed, Bath & Beyond or Linens & Things...someplace like that!!!

Proudly creating for:
LCC by Amy Stoffel, Cori Gammon, DIGI SCRAP ADDICTS Site CT,
Faith True, Geek Chic Scraps, Jac Bernardo, Laura Banasiak, Litabells Designs, Kelley Mickus, Micheline Martin Designs, Nikki Epperson,
Penny Springmann, SCRAP ORCHARD Site CT, THE DAILY SCRAPPER Site CT
Old 03-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to uptowngirl Send a message via Yahoo to uptowngirl

Of course everyone loves some cash or gift cards!! It is not the most personal gift but something you know they will need/use. My fave gift was our waffle iron... which ironically enough was not something we registered for and when we got it I was like when are we ever going to use this? We wound up using it all the time and have had some very yummy breakfasts! I like the theme idea... i.e., waffle iron, batter mixes, aprons, dish towels, cookbook, etc...

i create for
Old 03-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I would say bar ware, or assorted kitchen stuff, you could do a basket full of that stuff. We got like 5 blenders. I agree w/ the picture frame.. we got married 8 years ago and I still have frames in boxes. LOL
Old 03-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to iJenny

My favorite wedding gift was my own electric drill. Seriously. But I'm kinda weird like that. I think the bed sheet idea is neat, but not really something they'll *NEED* since its a bed they already have sheets for.
You could go crazy and just fill a gift bag with kitchen necesseties like wooden spoons, measuring cups, serving spoons, a cookie sheet, hot pads, cutting board, etc. Thats all stuff that they'll need pretty much right away.
Or you could get them a decent knife set. I got mine from Target seven years ago and while its not the NICEST set, it works great for what we need.
Good luck finding something.
________
Novana Residence Condominium

Last edited by iJenny; 09-08-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilcameronsmommy View Post
You could go crazy and just fill a gift bag with kitchen necesseties like wooden spoons, measuring cups, serving spoons, a cookie sheet, hot pads, cutting board, etc. Thats all stuff that they'll need pretty much right away.
Given the fact they are literally just starting out, I think an idea like this would be great. More personal than a gift card and, let's face it, you'll probably spend the money more wisely than they would themselves. Not to say they wouldn't get themselves something worthwhile with a gift card, but you would fill the basket with all sorts of little things they'd probably never think to buy themselves.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilcameronsmommy View Post
My favorite wedding gift was my own electric drill. Seriously. But I'm kinda weird like that.
Dude, I would kill for people to have given us power tools for our wedding! But, then, I'm kinda weird like that too.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:51 PM

profile gallery send pm

Jordan got power tools for Christmas. I MIGHT let him register at Home Depot for the wedding. Depends on if he behaves himself
Old 03-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Here are top 3 wedding gifts we received.

1. A framed photo mosaic - from afar it looked like just a regular engagement picture of us. If you look closer they were made of tiny pictures of us when we were kids, my dog, my family, his family etc. People are still amazed with it. Along with that is a crochet table runner. I havent used it yet but knowing it was handmade for us, mades it even more special.

2. Kitchen stuff - we got a Cuisinart Contact Panini Grill. It's great for making sandwiches, burgers, chicken, steaks and the best is it opens up flat and you can take the grill plates out then its an instant pancake, bacon and egg griddle. I use it all the time.

3. Cofee Maker - we received an espresso machine with brewing capability, and making espresso, and foam. If you know me and my husband you'll know were coffee addicts.

Ok I said 3 but there are 2 more.
4. We also got a winterscape trip to Niagara Falls. No one goes there during the winter but we got the best services and there were no lines since were the only people there. The falls were not completely frozen and the view was breathtaking. So a mini trip like this that they can take at a later time is great too.

5. Being entertainers ourselves, we always have people over. Crate and Barrell has a wonderful fondue pot and cookbook, that's fun. Our grill gets good milleage in the summer too. Our flatware and steware gets a lot of usage too.

Check the housewares at Overstock.com. Their beddings are great as well.

Our most treasured family heirlooms are our sweet family memories.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I hated the photo frames and vases.. we got HEAPS of vases!! LOL Steer clear of those!!

My fave gifts were pretty much all kitchen stuff... A set of kitchen knives, A Foreman grill, Electric frypan, food processor etc.. but thats because I just LOVE to cook!! Our popcorn machine and coffee machine are just about worn out from all the uses! hahaha

Maybe you could get a fun and funky dinner set or table setting or something? How about a fun quilt cover set? Some funky cushions for their lounge?

Goodluck!!

Also creating layouts for Pickleberry Pop
Old 03-06-2008, 05:07 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

hmmm, normally I like to go with something different yet useful like an ice cream maker, bread keeper, sandwich/panini grill or a roasting pan. But you're talking about a brand new couple starting with nada so I'd say stick to the basic necessities like blankets, sheet sets, towels, kitchen utensils and bake ware. Pots and pans are good but they'll need a good baking dish, some mixing bowls, knives, misc utensils not to mention larger items like a crock pot, blender, toaster, mixer.

personally, I never hang or display photos, I don't know why. I hated all those froofy frames I got for my wedding and ended up giving them all away. If you're gonna give her a frame, be sure it has a cute (possibly scrapped) wedding photo
Old 03-06-2008, 05:10 PM

profile gallery send pm

Oooooh a crock pot! I love mine! And I just got a panini grill from crate and barrel and it's one of my favorite things!

I agree with the kitchen necessities gift basket idea. You'll have a better idea of stuff you use all the time, and can get for them.

And I do love the idea of barware. I know I want a fun set of barware once we get a nice place to keep it.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

OK, IKEA, here I come. Their kitchen stuff is cheap and useful...plus sometimes funky and they don't have an IKEA near them. Wheee...now to convince DH to take me there...
Old 03-06-2008, 05:13 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzyscrap View Post
OK, IKEA, here I come. Their kitchen stuff is cheap and useful...plus sometimes funky and they don't have an IKEA near them. Wheee...now to convince DH to take me there...
I Ikea!!

I'm hoping to get Jordan to take me there this saturday to buy a new desk and maybe some dining room chairs
Old 03-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hooray for living 5 minutes from a ginormous IKEA! Hubby loves it because he never has to go there again, unless he's waiting in the loading zone to help me pick up some large item I've bought.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Sweet Shoppe Founder

profile gallery send pm

VACCUUM CLEANER! We bought our own, and I would just perish without one...sooo, yeah. Although, a GC would work too!

My siggy needs a re-vamp!

Old 03-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What about one of the most basic gifts - plates and silverware! They should get a basic set for now (like Crate and Barrell or IKEA have). Later on, they can figure out a fancier set and get those for anniversary/Christmas gifts from family.
One of the gifts that I use(d) the most (but mind you I was pretty established with a place when I got married) is a Foreman-style grill. It will be handy even if they have a small kitchen (unless all they eat is pasta, lol).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Fan of ALL the designers at:
Old 03-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

These are all awesome suggestions ladies!! Bree and I have been on the phone, and I've called our other sister, and we've pretty much decided on stuff...

I'm doing the kitchen... getting the essentials (utensils, bakeware, measuring cups/spoons, tea towels, hot pads, dish soap, scrubbies, salt & pepper shakers, cheese grater, can opener, etc).

Bree is doing the laundry room --> Laundry basket(s), detergent, Bounce sheets, maybe an iron & ironing board (?), hangers, etc.

Our other sister is hitting the bathroom --> Shower curtain & hooks, towels, wash cloths, hand towels, soap dispenser (and soap, lol), other accesories too.

I figure if each of us tackles a room, it saves them having to go buy all the basics... that was what killed my DH and I when we got married. We got cool things, but we had to spend ALL our wedding $$ on stupid basics, and couldn't buy some neat splurge things that we had wanted (like an espresso maker!). I just hope that they appreciate the stuff, seeing that they are kindof naive to that sort of thing, seeing that they've never really lived on their own, kwim?

Huge fan of:

Old 03-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjade View Post
These are all awesome suggestions ladies!! Bree and I have been on the phone, and I've called our other sister, and we've pretty much decided on stuff...

I'm doing the kitchen... getting the essentials (utensils, bakeware, measuring cups/spoons, tea towels, hot pads, dish soap, scrubbies, salt & pepper shakers, cheese grater, can opener, etc).

Bree is doing the laundry room --> Laundry basket(s), detergent, Bounce sheets, maybe an iron & ironing board (?), hangers, etc.

Our other sister is hitting the bathroom --> Shower curtain & hooks, towels, wash cloths, hand towels, soap dispenser (and soap, lol), other accesories too.

I figure if each of us tackles a room, it saves them having to go buy all the basics... that was what killed my DH and I when we got married. We got cool things, but we had to spend ALL our wedding $$ on stupid basics, and couldn't buy some neat splurge things that we had wanted (like an espresso maker!). I just hope that they appreciate the stuff, seeing that they are kindof naive to that sort of thing, seeing that they've never really lived on their own, kwim?
I was going to suggest a laundry basket with towels, laundry soap, stain remover, and all that other stuff you've got listed there Depending on the laundry setup in their apartment - a roll of quarters might come in handy too.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

The roll of quarter touch is just plain cute!

and handy. LOL!

Our most treasured family heirlooms are our sweet family memories.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I figure if each of us tackles a room, it saves them having to go buy all the basics.
Brilliant idea, Bree and Jaedyn! I'm sure you're going to find all sorts of great stuff for them
Old 03-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

This is perfect! And I'm sure they'll appreciate it within a day or two of being on their own!
Old 03-07-2008, 04:14 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

great idea Jae!
Old 03-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Oh I am sure they will appreciate that!! Esp. when they don't have to run to Walmart like 20 times the first week they are home. LOL