Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 03:57 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via AIM to rocalisa Send a message via Yahoo to rocalisa
Default Follow up on my son

I posted a LO for the Truth Sugar Free challenge about having to check DS's oxygen uptake overnight to see just how bad his breathing is when he sleeps.

It was pretty stressful, as it kicked me back to watching him have apneas and bradycardias (can't remember how to spell that) when he was in the NICU.

I went to the doctor today for the results. It was bad. Not seriously, seriously bad, but still pretty bad. He needs to have his adenoids and tonsils out and it's going to happen in the next two to three weeks as the doctor doesn't want to wait any more. We can't have it done at the private hospital where the doctor works as he wants him in the main children's hospital since it has an ICU.

While it is unlikely, it is possible the change in pressure from breathing with the obstruction to breathing without it could lead to a fluid build up in his lungs, so they need to monitor him until he adjusts to the new breathing requirements. He'll have to stay in hospital at least overnight and possibly for two or three nights.

So it's not a desperate situation in any way, but it's more than just whipping out the tonsils is at its most simple.

I'm both calm because we now know what's going on and have a plan and freaked out because it's more serious than I expected - and I didn't want him to go to that hospital because we've stayed there before when he was sick and I don't like going back there if I can avoid it.

So there we go. Just need to tell people cause it's a big thing to me, even if not in the bigger scheme of things. It's awareness week for child cancer here in NZ this week, which does put things in a kind of perspective. But while I appreciate that he doesn't have something truly serious and awful like that, it's still a big thing becaue this is MY child, not someone else's.

I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. If my post seems curt or has poor spelling/punctuation, it means I'm very tired but still want to comment. I'm not being intentionally rude.

--
Auckland, New Zealand * PWC since 1990
blog * lj * flickr * dst * ssd
Old 03-23-2007, 08:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So sorry you're going through this, Kerry. No matter how "small" this surgery may seem in the "big" scheme of things, your thoughts and feelings are completely valid. I hope all goes very smoothly for you and your son and you have a healthy normal little one again very soon!

{{HUGS}},
T.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocalisa View Post
But while I appreciate that he doesn't have something truly serious and awful like that, it's still a big thing becaue this is MY child, not someone else's.
I hear you there! I really do! Thanks for the update and {hugs} to you.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:02 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Amy H

{hugs} Kerry! I know this must be scary for you, but at least the doctors have found a solution, and he will be better afterwards. I will keep you two in my thoughts!

Diaries of a Haute Mama
My Gallery
I'm all a-Twitter!
Old 03-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

((hugs)) i'm so sorry hun. i agree no matter how Big or small it is, when it comes to our own children it is huge. ((prayers)) i'll be praying that all stays well hun.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

{{HUGS}} Even though scary I hope this means things are going get better for him.

==> Click HERE if you dare <==
Old 03-23-2007, 03:56 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via AIM to rocalisa Send a message via Yahoo to rocalisa

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the support and understanding.

I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. If my post seems curt or has poor spelling/punctuation, it means I'm very tired but still want to comment. I'm not being intentionally rude.

--
Auckland, New Zealand * PWC since 1990
blog * lj * flickr * dst * ssd
Old 03-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I am so sorry you have to go through this. Good news... my good friend's just barely three-year-old son had this surgery last weekend, for the same reason. He was in the hospital for 2 nights just to keep an eye on him. He is already remarkably better! His mom said he has been sore, but that's it.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I hope that the small baby gets improved very soon, (hugs)

DST Gallery
Old 03-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

**hugs** I feel for you Kerry, I hope the procedure goes well, and that he has a full & quick recovery.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Glad they have managed to find a way around this problem, Kerry. My heart went out to you when I read your LO so I wanted to thank you for sharing the update with us here! Will be praying everything goes well with the operations and that he has a speedy and full recovery.

My Gallery
Old 03-25-2007, 04:40 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Oh Kerry, I'm sorry to hear... tell us when it is happening and we will think of your son, sending healthy vibes and prayers! {{{big HUGS}}} for you!

my blog