Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scrappinsweetie
Default eye surgery

well, after waiting over 15 years I am finally having asa surgery on friday. I am scared but excited. has anyone else had this done? any advice or wanna tell me what to expect?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

if this is the laser surgery no advice, but I had PRK{where they use a knife instead of a laser...yes OUCH...but I was all numb so didn't feel it} done in 1995 and would do it again in a heartbeat My only advice is have more than 1 pair of sunglasses handy! I had major light sensiitivety {duh} and had to have sunglasses on at the slightest hint of light and the sun. Another thing, I had to get up in the mornings and turn the bathroom light on and let my eyes adjust before I could go in there.... I still have some starburst effect at night, but I don't really even notice it anymore....

Last edited by nun69; 06-07-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I'm not sure what kind of surgery it is, but I'll keep you in my thoughts!
Old 06-07-2011, 12:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My hubby had it done over 10 years ago... as did his brother and dad... and they all said they would do it again in a heart beat. I remember dh saying that don't be freaked out if your eye sight seems worse the day after... I, on the other hand, had eye surgeries as a child to tighten muscles - no one is touching these eyes... I'm also one of those crazy people who like wearing glasses.

Good luck!!
Old 06-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

PRK is the old name for the ASA surgery with some updates to it from what i understand. do your eyes burn and hurt really bad afterwards? i have 2 boxes of artificial tears in the fridge now. they told me to put them in there for the cold refreshing relief.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

mine only hurt becuase they gave me a streoid {drops} to put in them after the surgery, which I don't think they do anymore....they told me it was to keep my eyes from healing too fast and I had to do it for about 5 days in each eye...and back then, I had 1 eye done and then a week later had to go back and have the other eye done...that REALLY SUCKED considering how bad my vision was in 1 eye...but I don't remember them burning, but I remember that they hurt a little but not too bad....the hardest thing for me was I had it done in CA in April and the sun really really got to me for a good 4-5 months...and I beleive even today my eyes a re a little mroe sensitive to the sun than normal....but I would do it again in a heartbeat
Old 06-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

i have prednisone drops to put in so they do still do the steriod drops. i hope it doesn't hurt for long. how long did it take before you could see?
Old 06-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I could see alomst instantly...it was pretty amazing....but the steroid drops did hurt and I am not sure if it was just me or not, but that was the worst part! it felt like putting iodine on an open wound but since I knew what to expect after the 1st time I did it, I just kinda prepared myself everytime I had to do it after that
Old 06-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

ugh ok. not looking forward to the drops but thank you for being honest about it I can't wait until it is over !
Old 06-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

you might react differntly, it just seemed to really hurt me....but you will be so glad in the long run and it will be totally worth it
Old 06-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

i can't wait. i can't even imagine what it is going to be like. i have been wearing glasses since 4th grade but i coudn't see very good for 2 years before that. i can't even see the alarm clock without my glasses on. i started wearing contacts in 6th grade. holy cow that was a long time ago!!!