Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-09-2020, 05:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Question Photos on computer...HELP! out of storage!!

So my computer's hard drive is full. My portable hard drive is full. I keep deleting stuff, but my husband thinks I should just delete all or most of the photos since I also upload them all the Shutterfly. That just makes me nervous because most of these pictures I do not have printed anywhere and if I delete them from my computer, then they would also eventually all delete from Backblaze which I use for back up.

What should I do? I'm not really wanting to spend a lot of money to buy a new computer or hard drive at this time since my husband is still laid off thanks to all this Covid crap...., but I barely have enough room to download the kits I need for CT work.

Suggestions? Ideas?
Old 07-09-2020, 06:44 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Far be it from me to get in the middle of a spousal spat, but please don't delete your photos. BB will, as you said, also delete them, and then (as you know) that means you don't have a backup. You need a backup.

Do you have Amazon Prime? You have free .jpg storage using their Amazon Prime Photos, so you could at least get photos uploaded there. Having said that, what about emailing your FAVORITES to yourself, or uploading to Google Photos, if you have a google account (I think there's a 16MB limit on file size, but you can double-check all of that).

How many GB or TB of photos do you have? Is an inexpensive flash drive enough to at least tide you over until you can get another EHD? This pandemic has hit everyone in so many different ways, but it hurts my heart to think that someone may lose their photos--a way to remember their lives--so if you don't mind, I saw a Western Digital 2TB EHD for $60. Could that tide you over? Or do you have an iPad or old phone that you could transger them to? I'm grasping at straws, but it can be so difficult to have to choose what to delete.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have mine backed up on flash drives. Smaller storage sizes so that I have more of them in case one is bad then I don't lose everything. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2020, 09:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Watch dealnews.com or clarkdeals for drives. They post deals daily that you can you purchase sometimes for less than $100. I saw one a while back that was 2TB for $99. I would NOT delete photos ever. Shutterfly isn't a reliable source to keep photos.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:18 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree City View Post
Far be it from me to get in the middle of a spousal spat, but please don't delete your photos. BB will, as you said, also delete them, and then (as you know) that means you don't have a backup. You need a backup.

Do you have Amazon Prime? You have free .jpg storage using their Amazon Prime Photos, so you could at least get photos uploaded there. Having said that, what about emailing your FAVORITES to yourself, or uploading to Google Photos, if you have a google account (I think there's a 16MB limit on file size, but you can double-check all of that).

How many GB or TB of photos do you have? Is an inexpensive flash drive enough to at least tide you over until you can get another EHD? This pandemic has hit everyone in so many different ways, but it hurts my heart to think that someone may lose their photos--a way to remember their lives--so if you don't mind, I saw a Western Digital 2TB EHD for $60. Could that tide you over? Or do you have an iPad or old phone that you could transger them to? I'm grasping at straws, but it can be so difficult to have to choose what to delete.
Yes, this! Please DO NOT delete your photos and rely on Shutterfly. I use Amazon to store my photos and as Sara mentioned, there is free storage if you have Prime. You can always transfer them back from Amazon once you have space to do so. If you sort by file size, you can get some of the big ones first and free up some space without deleting everything on your HD. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2020, 10:55 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I sprang the $10 a month for 2TB worth of Google One, it's the premium version of One Drive. It is an automatic backup service but you can also upload directly to your storage, so it shouldn't delete things if you delete them off your computer to make some room. There's a 100GB option for $2 a month, you could get just as much as you need to clear off a little bit of space to download your CT kits until you can get a new computer or hard drive. Maybe that would work?
Old 07-10-2020, 09:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So my wonderful husband surprised me with a 4TB hard drive this morning. I think I'm going to move over some scrapbook kits that I don't use as much. I'm going to keep the photos on my computer. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!
Old 07-10-2020, 09:46 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Your husband must have read over your shoulder and now it's trying to redeem himself haha
so glad he did that! That was very thoughtful.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BluEyedBabi View Post
So my wonderful husband surprised me with a 4TB hard drive this morning. I think I'm going to move over some scrapbook kits that I don't use as much. I'm going to keep the photos on my computer. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!
He knows the way to a photographer and scrapbooker's heart! I'm glad you don't face the delete-or-not dilemma anymore.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:42 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Oh YAY! So glad you didn't have to delete photos!

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 07-11-2020, 09:22 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
YAY! Enjoy your new EHD. Ohhhh, and you can have BackBlaze back up your new EHD so your old kits will still be in the cloud.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:07 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I definitely agree with everyone - don't delete photos!! Even though you now have a shiny new EHD (yay for hubby!) I still highly recommend backing up your photos somewhere else as well. 2 backups are better than one. Heaven forbid something happen to one of the companys that are storing your backups. I remember seeing a news article about a server farm building going up in smoke in one of the big wildfires a few years back. Some of my grandfather's military records we will never have copies of because the storage facility where they were archived burned down.

I use Amazon. The free unlimited photo storage that comes with Prime is a life-saver for me. I also pay for some storage with Amazon Drive for my scrapbook and video files, as those file types are not supported with the free storage. I'm probably stuck forever with being a Prime member now because I have all of my digital photos from the last 18 years backed up there, as well as multiple EHDs from over the years.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:05 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Not the photos! Delete old kits you'll never use again
Old 07-12-2020, 02:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yay for a new EHD! I agree, deleting photos is a bad idea! Anything could happen. I would hate to lose my photos!

I would store the photos on the new EHD, along with maybe some of your favorite/most loved/most used kits. keep the computer storage for the newest kits. Once you have used them, move them to the EHD.

If you felt you needed to delete something, as hard as it is, kits are the first to go. Usually I start with freebies, then onto ones that I don't see myself using again anytime in the near future!
Old 07-12-2020, 02:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yay for a new EHD! I agree, deleting photos is a bad idea! Anything could happen. I would hate to lose my photos!

I would store the photos on the new EHD, along with maybe some of your favorite/most loved/most used kits. keep the computer storage for the newest kits. Once you have used them, move them to the EHD.

If you felt you needed to delete something, as hard as it is, kits are the first to go. Usually I start with freebies, then onto ones that I don't see myself using again anytime in the near future!
Old 07-14-2020, 06:16 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
That is so sweet of your husband. I guess he realized that deleting photos was just not an option (how could he even think that )
Old 07-14-2020, 10:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't know if this is allowed but here is a deal on a 6TB hard drive if anyone needs one... https://www.dealnews.com/products/We...ive/34037.html I am always on the lookout for deals on these....Deal is usually good for about 24 hours or so ...