Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2012, 08:07 AM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd
Default Peeps who use Aperture (This means you, Lynnette :D)

So I finally purchased and installed Aperture last month. It took me a few days to get everything imported, get my folders organized (eh, still have some work to do there), get my keywords all set, and learn how to get around. I have to say that I am loving it! I enjoy editing my photos in Aperture so much more than PS! I do pull them in to PS for additional edits sometimes, but mostly I'm loving what I get straight from Aperture.

So, my question is . . . has anyone found a great place to get presets? Or do you have any links to awesome tips/tricks for Aperture? I want to make sure I'm using all the awesomeness that's available to me. What I really wish I had is presets that mirror some of my M4H actions. That would make my life complete. Just might have to see if I can create my own. That would be a lot of work, though. Hmm.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm going to be watching this thread. I'm on the fence between Aperture and LR (which I currently am using). I really don't care for iPhoto and haven't figured out how to move all my photos over to something else.

On my PC, I just used a folder system. But on a Mac, it's a whole new ballgame and I want to come up with the most effective, organized system. lol (hehe snicker, snicker - laughing at myself).
Old 05-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

You rang?

Actually, I wish I had a better answer for you because I don't actually use presets in Aperture - didn't use them in Lightroom either. I always do my basic editing in Aperture and then use RadLab in Photoshop for any special editing which is probably not the fastest method but I love my Totally Rad actions too much to give them up. I do know if you google for Aperture presets there are ones that come up - whether they're good or not, I don't know.

As far as tips, these are two Aperture blogs I've looked at and it looks like they both sell presets too:

http://www.apertureexpert.com/
http://theapertureblog.com/

Lynda.com also has an Aperture 3 class if you want something more in-depth with video: http://www.lynda.com/Aperture-3-tuto...g/59221-2.html

Hope that helps and if you guys have other questions, let me know.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:58 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

So do you do some edits in Aperture then send them to Photoshop so that the edits you do there show up on a new version of the photo in Aperture? And, do you always create a new version of a photo before you start editing or do you just lay your initial edits right on top of the master image?

Thanks for those blog links. I know I still have a lot to learn.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

See I never used LR for editing either. I do all my editing in ACR and with my PS actions (TRA included!!).

But I'm looking for a nicer way to import from my camera/phone, rather than using iPhoto.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltarbox View Post
So do you do some edits in Aperture then send them to Photoshop so that the edits you do there show up on a new version of the photo in Aperture? And, do you always create a new version of a photo before you start editing or do you just lay your initial edits right on top of the master image?

Thanks for those blog links. I know I still have a lot to learn.
I do the majority of my editing in Aperture because it's faster. So most of the photos for my blog or like the majority of photos for my WITL album last year were all edited with only Aperture. I only send photos to Photoshop if I'm using that photo for a layout or want to run it through Rad Lab. Then I'll right-click on the image and click the Edit in Photoshop link so it opens a new copy in Photoshop. Once I'm done editing, I'll save it as a layered TIFF file which gets added back into Aperture automatically. So it does mean I end up with doubles of all those photos - the original RAW file that includes Aperture adjustments and the TIFF file that includes the Aperture adjustments with the Photoshop adjustment layers but I like it because I do often go back to those layered TIFF files and change up the Rad Lab settings if I want to use the photo for another purpose. Probably not the most space saving method but I only do it for the best of the bunch photos as I need them.