Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Reassure me: c-sections

I'd love to hear some positive stories about c-sections!

My other three kids were born with no complications whatsoever -- they were uncomplicated deliveries and I didn't have time for epidurals or pain medicine. In this case, we're now looking at a planned induction at 37 weeks or before because of an umbilical blood flow issue, and a c-section is a very real possibility if the induction doesn't go well, or if the blood flow issue worsens significantly in the next couple of weeks.

I'm honestly freaked out about a c-section. I've done some reading on the recovery process and it scares me. I have three young kids at home, so I can't imagine having the luxury of 6-8 weeks just to recover without lifting anything heavier than the baby. Not to mention the fact that this baby will have some special needs -- I'm overwhelmed just thinking about it.

So -- tell me your positive c-section stories!

Kara
Old 04-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I did not find the recovery to be nearly as awful as expected. Both of my boys were born via c-section - one emergency & one planned. Honestly, my advice to you if you DO have one is to get moving as soon as you can afterward. Once you start feeling the epidural/spinal wearing off, ask to stand up. Then just take it slowly, but add a little bit - maybe a short walk to the bathroom, etc. It's uncomfortable to be sure, but I found after a few days (and alternating tylenol/ibuprofin every 4 hours worked for me, so I didn't need stronger meds) I was feeling almost back to myself & actually had to remind myself to not do too much.

I know it might not be a TYPICAL recovery, but that was my experience. I'll be praying for you - that you can delivery naturally AND if you do end up with a c-section, for a speedy recovery!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 04-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Kara, I LOVED my C-sections. I had great recoveries with both of them; like I was up carrying my babies around in the hospital room the next day. I didn't have any issues at all, and the only pain I had was from having that darn epidural stuck in my back.

The first 24 hours are a little uncomfortable, since I had a catheter and once it came out, getting to the bathroom took a little while, but overall, it was really a good experience for me.
I cried when the dr. mentioned that possibility the first time, and then after I had one and was pregnant again, I cried when she said she wanted me to try to deliver naturally the second time, lol.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I had an elective c-section for my 2nd baby, after a horrible natural delivery with my first. I recovered 10 times faster from the c-section than I did with the natural birth, and would do it again if we ever had another child. I stayed in hospital for 5 days (voluntarily) after the c-section to make sure I could breastfeed properly, I was rested, and my healing was progressing as it should. By the time I came home I was all ready to get back into my life again. Hubby helped out where he could (housework etc), and everything was fine. I just took it easy and did what I could.

I had a 1000% better experience with C-sections than natural birth.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

OH! And I totally wanted to add that it was AMAZING (seriously, unreal) the difference between my unplanned & planned sections!! With my first, I was astounded at my recovery - and that was after 17 hours of hard labor! With my second (the planned one), I was well rested and the recovery was even BETTER.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had an emergency c-section with my first daughter and recovered just fine. I had an elective c-section with my second daughter and it was fine too! I didn't use any pain killers at all because they made me sick at the time and they had me up and walking within 15 hours I think. I stayed in 3 days for both and for my second one had the staples out before I left!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I totally agree with Sara about the difference between the planned and unplanned C-section. During the unplanned C-section, the doctors and nurses were moving so quickly, that I think it heightened my alarm - but my son's heart rate was dropping, so they were doing what was necessary. Just wanted to throw that out there too - so if everyone starts moving quickly to do a C-section, try to stay as calm as you can and remember that they are used to this and know what they are doing.

Also, one thing that I think you will probably find different if you have to have a C-section is your milk supply. With both of my boys, my milk did not come in until about day 4 or 5. So just keep that in mind. The actual recovery from the C-sections was not bad. Like others have said, try to get moving as soon as they will let you. Moving around is what helps you build your strength again.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

With my planned c-section (10 days before normal due date) my milk came in the next day, so I was lucky. I had prayed a lot, to have the ability to breastfeed, and I was thankful to have that prayer answered.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Both times for me my milk came in the day I left the hospital (which was 3 days...I think for both it was 3 days). Of course, I have no frame of reference for when the milk USUALLY comes in if you have a natural delivery since I've never had one!

Old 04-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitinmn View Post
OH! And I totally wanted to add that it was AMAZING (seriously, unreal) the difference between my unplanned & planned sections!! With my first, I was astounded at my recovery - and that was after 17 hours of hard labor! With my second (the planned one), I was well rested and the recovery was even BETTER.
this was me as well.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitinmn View Post
Both times for me my milk came in the day I left the hospital (which was 3 days...I think for both it was 3 days). Of course, I have no frame of reference for when the milk USUALLY comes in if you have a natural delivery since I've never had one!
I don't have a natural delivery to compare it to either. lol. So maybe I'm just weird when it came to nursing... Hopefully if you do have to have a c-section, your experience with nursing will be much closer to one of these gals!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I just had an unplanned c-section with my first. I was TERRIFIED because I never really prepared myself for the possibility, but it went GREAT. I stayed in the hospital for 4 nights, because I could. I was up and moving around the room by the next day, once they took out the catheter. I seemed to heal really well/quickly, as all the nurses kept commenting that I was doing so awesome being up, or that my incision looked amazing, etc. I really babied myself regarding the incision, because it made me really uncomfortable to think about it, but honestly it wasn't that big a deal.
Take it easy as much as you can when you get home. Yes, you have 2 other little ones to care for, but you have to take care of yourself first or you're no good to anyone. Remind yourself to take it easy. It's REALLY easy to overdo it and end up in pain.

ETA: I had Callen on saturday afternoon and my milk came in on Monday.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've had 3 c-sections, so I don't really know the difference from a natural birth. But the scheduled one was MUCH better than the 2 emergency ones I had.

I had a 6 year old, a 3 year old, and newborn twins, and recovered from a c-section just fine. I only had help for 2 weeks, and then I was all on my own.

You can do it Kara!

ETA: For my scheduled one I even had makeup on! LOL Not really intentionally, but I went straight to the hospital from the doctor's office, so I had put it on for that.

Last edited by maryinaz; 04-16-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via ICQ to Lukasmummy Send a message via MSN to Lukasmummy Send a message via Yahoo to Lukasmummy

I had super fast premature deliveries with all of the boys, so because of that they wanted me to have a c-section with Leia because of her not growing, having premature rupture of membranes and multiple infection markers. She was born at weighing 3lb 10.5oz at 33 weeks on 13th October, which was a Thursday I had a spinal and she was delivered at 1:05pm, had the epidural stuff out a couple of hours after because I wasn't using it. I was up and walking around a few hours afterwards, had the catheter and venflon out a couple of hours after that and I went home on the Sunday. The biggest problem I had was pain in my shoulder apparently I had air trapped in it, they offered me lots of different painkillers though it kind of amazed me how many different painkillers the doctors had written up "just in case". Leia spent nearly 3 weeks in Special Care there was nothing wrong with her she just needed her feeds built up and a little sodium. Hope that helps a little, good luck hope everything goes smoothly for you and your recovery is easy and as pain free as possible. Hugs Crystal xx
Old 04-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I had a vaginal delivery with my older daughter and just had a c-section in february with chloe. I was absolutely terrified of the c-section going in - both the procedure itself and the recovery, but I was worried for nothing!

The surgery was a breeze, and the recovery was SO much easier than I had expected. In fact, the entire thing was about 1000% better than with my older daughter's vaginal delivery.

I only stayed in the hospital 2 days (my choice), and I was up moving around within 24 hrs after birth. I was uncomfortable for a few days, but the pain was VERY manageable. In fact, even though they offered me stronger pain meds, I stuck with ibuprofen for the most part. I would say within a week, I was up moving around as normal, and like others have said, I had to remind myself to take it easy.

I know they say allow 6 weeks to recover, but I didn't have that luxury either. And honestly, I was just fine. By my 6 week check, it was almost as if I hadn't even had surgery.

Aside from this belly that I can't seem to lose, I feel just as good as I did before I got pregnant (Chloe is almost 9 weeks old now)

Oh, and I had Chloe on Wednesday afternoon, and my milk came in on Saturday.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had an emergency c-section with my first at 31 weeks (I had pre-eclampsia and his heartrate started to drop so they had him delivered. He only weighed 1 pound 15 oz!!!) It was pretty painful for the first night, but I really think it was the hospital (I was in NY and they're very different from my home-state of Vermont). They didn't let me have any pain meds until I was pretty much crying, asking. Not trying to freak you out, sorry. I had a much better experience with my 2nd. It was a normal pregnancy but I had her by c-section, since I had to have one with my first... The hospital kept right on top of my pain and came in every few hours to ask me my level, it never went over a 1 because they were great at managing the pain for me. I literally got up and started walking about 4 hours after my c-section. I even walked down the hall to get my own ice water from the kitchen. I felt so great, the nurses had to remind me to take it easy because I just had surgery, lol. I would just recommend asking them about how they handle the pain management beforehand, because it made such a difference! Had I delivered my first in my hometown hospital, it would have been pain free as well, but since I was in a city (the capital of NY) they were so much more busy and took soooo long to respond to calls when I needed meds as well... GOOD LUCK it's really not that bad!

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Last edited by rachaelsscraps; 04-16-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I had my youngest son and had two little ones (they were 5 &3). He was born premature (but did not have alot of complications some premies do.) The day I left the hospital I went grocery shopping. I was there for 3-4 days only because I had high blood pressure still and they wanted to get it controlled first. I did not have a ton of pain at all and did not even get the prescription for pain medication filled. I was breast feeding so I did not want to have to worry about that going to the baby.

With my second c-section I went home and had to go shopping as well. My husband had cleaned and washed the dishes and everything the night before I was released but I did not have much pain afterwards with him either.

Is there anyone who could come help you if you do get overwhelmed?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Just wanted to add with my first two they removed the staples before I left the hospital which was a little painful (on a scale of 1-10 maybe a 4 or 5 but they had issues removing them). With my last they left them in for a week I think and I went to my doctor's office to have them taken out and it was soooo much better. Like no discomfort or pain at all. So my suggestion is to ask if the incision is still tender to see if you can have them removed at the doctors and give it a few more days to heal.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I was like you-- I had three previous vaginal births that were uncomplicated and then my fourth I had to have a C-section. I had marginal placenta previa so they were talking about the possibility of a C-section, but we didn't know for sure until about a week before he was born. I was glad to have time to research and process the thought of having a c-section. I was terrified (I cried through the whole thing, from the time they started the IV until it was over), but honestly the recovery wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. I had set up a housecleaner to come two times after the surgery so I wouldn't feel overwhelmed with the house cleaning. I had my MIL here for 9 days to help with my other kids also (they were 5, 7, and 9). I had set up meals with friends who had offered and cooked some freezer meals in advance. I set up and organized as many things as I could before hand, so all I had to do after was the bare minimum. The pain wasn't that bad, but I stayed on top of my pain pills. You just have to remember you had major surgery and you have a newborn to take care of, so don't overdo it. My baby was born on a Thursday, we left on a Sunday, and then we came back to the hospital on Tuesday for Bili lights. My milk came in on Sunday or Monday, I can't remember.

One other thing-- I called the hospital and talked to the L&D nurse about C-sections at my hospital, as far as policies with cameras, visitors, etc. I wanted to know if my hubby could be with the baby the whole time, and if they were going to give me a tummy wrap thing for recovery, among other things. She was really helpful and answered a lot of my questions so I felt more prepared mentally going into it.

Good luck-- in a lot of ways it's easier or better than a vaginal, so try to focus on the good things (I didn't bleed for as long or as much as when I had my other babies vaginally, so that was nice!)

Last edited by AllieP; 04-16-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ooh, all of this talk of staples reminded me that I had nothing to be removed but steri-strips. They did some kind of voodoo magic stitches that know when to dissolve, apparently.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Like most of the stories I read here so far (just skimmed), my c-section recovery was a BREEZE. I was up and out of bed walking to the bathroom within just a few hours after surgery. My first was easiest on me only because I had horrible gas pains with my second. Still though, once I was able to have a bowel movement I felt awesome. Gas pain isn't uncommon but it isn't extremely common either. If you feel any gas pain talk to the nurses. I took Gas-X and finally used a suppository before getting relief. Walking helps and that is one reason they suggest walking a lot.

My aunt told me to remember that during surgery you WILL feel some tugging and some pressure. It shouldn't be painful (let your anesthesiologist know right away if you feel any pain) but it will feel strange. I kept that in mind my first time around and it helped, especially when the doctor had to practically get on my chest to get my girl out.

Use a pillow as support against your abdomen while you are trying to get out of bed. It helps a lot. You aren't going to split open, but it might feel that way without something to hold you in place. A good wrap for your abdomen for afterwards helps a lot too.

My milk came in within 2 days with both babies, both babies were c-section though the second I did actually go in to labor. I had no problems nursing babies. My daughter was more difficult only because she wouldn't stay awake. My son was so hungry at birth that the nurse brought him to me before my 'recovery' hour was up and had me nurse him.

All in all, I feel like a c-section is the way to go to be honest. No tearing. No sitz baths. Very little bleeding. No bladder issues after. Quick recovery. No pushing. No labor (they stopped my labor with Declan so they could do the c-section). I would have had the epidural either way so that was nothing different. The only pain medication I needed was ibuprofen.

The ONLY drawback, as far as I was concerned, was that I couldn't hold baby right away. Some hospitals let you but ours makes you wait an hour before handing baby over. I did get to see baby and all that before daddy and baby took off to the nursery.

My section had a vertical incision. It goes from just below my belly button all the way down to the top of my pubic hair line. That is the skin incision anyway. The internal incision was a typical 'bikini' incision. My daughter was frank breach and stuck in my ribs in such a manner that the doctor said he would have to slice me hip to hip to make room to get her out. Going vertical was the best option. Because the internal incision was horizontal, I could have gone VBAC if I wanted (I had no desire to even attempt it). After my daughter, I did have a pretty wide scar. It wasn't pretty. It didn't bother me because I don't wear teensy bikinis or anything. Only DH saw it. When I went in to deliver my son the OB asked who did my first section. I told him he did. He shook his head and apologized to me. He said I should not have had a scar that big. That c-section was along the same scar line and now I have a thin little line instead of the thick gash I had the first time.

Oh, and I had stitches, not staples. They were removed about a week postpartum and it was all easy.

When DD was 2 days old I was walking around the mall. I was in the hospital longer with DS, not because I needed to be but because of hospital policy. I got around it the first time because the hospital was packed and they needed my bed. LOL
Old 04-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had dissolvable staples my second time around and let me tell you -- those were the best ever! Just like Sara said, only steri strips to be removed! That was my one complaint after my first one that the staples hurt coming out -- nothing unmanageable, but still a little painful.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Just wanted to add one more thing. I went through almost a whole day of labor before the dr decided he wanted to do a c-section because he felt my son was to big (he turned out to be 11 pounds 24 inches).

I would do a c-section over the contractions I experienced any day of the week!! I do not even want to think about the stories I have heard about tearing and what not with a vaginal birth.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I had our daughter at week 32 via an emergency c-section. She was our first born, and I was scared to death when they said "we are going in to the operating room and delivering this baby NOW"... c-section was something I definantly didn't want but in order for her to have a chance at life, we didn't have a choice (her heart had completely stopped... it had been a terrible pregnancy from day one full of complications). However, while I did have some recovery complications (nothing too tragic ... Im still here! :-) .. ) I had decided after having our second child via 100% natural birth that I would never in my life do natural birth again... ahahahah! I always said that if I were to have another baby (I'm not.. I'm done!) that I would opt for a c-section in a heartbeat! My recovery from the natural birth was a bazillion times worse than my recovery from the c-section.

Several of my friends feel the same way and in fact, several of them were up and walking around within a couple hours after their c-section delivery!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think everyone has given you great advice.

Both my c-sections were AWESOME!!! You will wish you would have done it with the others! I was up and walking a couple of hours later. Make sure you stay up on your paid medication...don't miss a dose. Keep us posted - I think about you often.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I had an emergency c-section with our son and was so terrified that things would be horrible...they were great! I was up the evening of his birth and after staying in the hospital the mandatory 4 days went home and was out and about the same day. I was moving slowly but I felt good with just some tylenol. My milk came in on day 2 so breastfeeding went smoothly for me. I was so thankful after hearing the stories my friends were telling me about their recovery period.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:30 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

I've had two c-sections, one emergency and one elective. With my firstborn I was labour, fully dilated, had had an epidural but this weakened and slowed the contractions down, and in the end they had to put me under to get the baby out as they needed it to happen really fast. I didn't get to be there and that, was the hardest part for me to recover from.
On the physical side, I was up and about, walking around within a few hours (my son was born at four in the morning and I was walking around by lunchtime), and I didn't need the painkillers for more than a few days. In fact, I think I only needed them while I was in the hospital.
We had to stay in the hospital for three nights, DS1 was born on the Tuesday and we got to go home on the Friday, but that was mostly because they wanted to keep an eye on him due to heightened bilirubin-values, but also because he didn't want to take the breast and the nurses desperately wanted me to breastfeed.

They say afterwards that one of the reasons I had a hard time pushing him out was his size (his weight was 4225 g / 9lb 3oz and I'm only 156 cm / 5'11'' and somehow the height of the mother and the weight of the baby are related according to the doctors I've spoken to), so when I was pregnant with my second child I really wanted to "be there" for the birth, and the only way they could guarantee that, was to give me an elective c-section, however they wanted me to try a natural birth if the baby wasn't too big.
After a scan in my 32nd week they estimated that, he would be at almost 10 lbs if I carried him to my due date (yeah I give birth to some big babies), so the c-section was scheduled at 38+0 weeks (he came out weighing 4275 g / 9lb 4oz so it was totally the right thing to do).

This was so different. Everything was done in a calm way, I had a meeting with the anaesthesiologist the day before and he explained exactly what was going to happen and when.
In the OR everybody (and there are quite a number of people involved in actually) introduced themselves to me, and nothing was done over my head (and if they needed to do something over my head the explained in advance why they did what they did) and I felt so looked after all the time.
When the surgeon was cutting and tugging, the anaesthesiologist cracked jokes and the general spirit was high the entire time.

After the baby was out I got to hold him on my chest for a few minutes before he was wheeled off with dh to the labour-ward and after I was stitched up I was in post-op for an hour or so for the spinal to wear off, before I was returned to maternity-ward and reunited with my son. DS2 was born at 11.33 on the Wednesday and I was up and walking again that evening, after having the catheter removed. On the Friday morning I was examined by a doctor who then said OK to me going home.

I have been fully mobile again within a week after both my c-sections, taking walks (slower than normal though) and moving about, albeit not carrying anything heavier than the baby.

This was all done in Sweden though, so I don't know how much of this relates to you, but I hope I've helped, if only a tiny bit.

Last edited by sjdahlblom; 04-17-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:56 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

I actually wanted a c-section and then because he was breech I ended up having to have one. I was up walking laps around the maternity ward the next day and didn't even take any of the pain meds (other than ibuprofen) once I got home after two days in the hospital. I had a great nurse who got me up and moving and I really think that was the key to a quicker recovery.

I was sore for about a week where the incision was, but other than that I didn't think it was that bad.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I had a planned cs for my fist because he was breech. I was terrified to the spinal block & having hysterics before it, but it turns out that is just how I behave before surgeries & nothing to do with the cs specifically. It went well, I felt like I had done 100 sit ups while someone whacked me in the abs with a baseball bat for a day or so after they removed the morphine drip, really sore but not really in pain if you know what I mean. I had him on Monday & my milk came in Friday . Left the hospital on Thursday. I did have a reaction to the glue in the pressure bandage they used but other than that it went really well. I was up and doing things like usual, a bit more slowly perhaps, within days of leaving the hospital. I felt really good, almost normal apart from slight nagging soreness on my right side, within 9 days of the cs.

On the 11th day I collapsed in screaming pain & had to have an appendectomy. I left the hospital 12 hours after that & really within 24 hours I just felt kind of tired & worn out like any new mother.

I had my second by VBAC & that was in many ways a harder recovery, if nothing else because people hear you have a cs and say "Oh how can I help, you should lay down" but they hear you had a vaginal delivery and all they say is "Oh can I hold the baby". Plus it was so much easier for me to sit down & to go to the bathroom while recovering from a CS as opposed to a vaginal delivery.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My DS was overdue, so they set up an induction for me. After being induced all night and through the next day my water broke, my midwife checked me to see how dilated I was and my son sucked on her fingers!!! When she told me, I was watching Muppets in Space... and I was literally IN SPACE from the drugs and exhaustion. They called it a facial presentation... they had just about every nurse and a few OB's in the hospital feel his nose & mouth (in me!) before they rushed me to the OR for an emergency c-section.

I know you're probably like: "thanks for the story, Brook. But what's the point?"

Well, that first c-section was not fun. I can't lie. It was scary and I was so tired and drugged that I shook the entire time. I even felt like I had to hold myself in consciousness, so I wouldn't pass out. It was not easy. I think it's because it was not expected and because it was after a full day of labor! OH! But I am supposed to be sharing POSITIVE stories.

Ok, so I know you don't want to be freaked out, and you shouldn't. Everything you experience, they are ready for! I will say, know what you want in the case of a c/s. I knew I wanted to see him being born, so they lowered the curtain when it was time for them to pull him out. DH took pictures of the whole birth portion of the surgery. With my first c/s I had a rough recovery and didn't see DS for 5 hours after. With my second, planned c/s, I asked to see the baby as soon as I was wheeled into the recovery room. I got to hold her 1 hour after the surgery!

With my first they removed the staples right before I left the hospital and put steri-strips on. Well, I have sensitive skin and allergic to adhesive on band-aids and things like that after an extended time. The allergic reaction caused my scar to... (I will not go into details). So, the second c/s I opted to have my staples in until my first check-up with the OB. That was sooo much better! If you have any kind of irritation to adhesive, skip the steri-strips.

They had me on a morphine drip immediately after the surgery (it made me sooo itchy!) but after that, I kept up on my pain meds to manage the pain. They had me taking percocet and perscription strength ibuprofen. They were good about bringing the pills to me when I needed a dose. That helped! And like someone said, hold a pillow to your belly! It helps when you are sitting up.

The good thing about a c-section is the time you will spend, recovering, in the hospital is usually longer. Think of it as a vacation. You will be ready to go home when it's time. And, if you plan ahead with meals in your freezer or a grandma to be home with you for the first 2 weeks that will help even more.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks, everyone! I feel better hearing your stories. Hopefully, all will go well!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kara, I stumbled across this blog entry today and thought it might help you: http://www.theglamlifehousewife.com/...tion-tips.html
Old 04-17-2012, 12:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hope it goes smoothly for you!

Mine was pretty average. I have to say I was terrified of the pain before I went in there. I've never had stitches before, or even gotten a bad cut, so I'm a wussy when it comes to pain. I will say, it was pain like I've never felt before when I woke up, but it wasn't unbearable at all... I'd rather have a c-section than a toothache. I didn't take any pain meds when I went home because they knock me out and I was terrified I wouldn't be alert enough to wake to feed the girls on schedule. It was managable, but mostly just sore. It was hard to get up, so I slept in a recliner for the first week - although with twins, it might be different for me, becuause they had to eat every 4 hours, it took each about an hour to eat for each twin, and with changing time and getting them back to bed I was sleeping an hour at a time between feedings. The first week was a little bit of hell. I forget who suggested it, but the pillow to hold on your abdomen when you're getting up, or coughing, or laughing definitely helps!! I had one I kept in my chair at all times I've never done a vaginal birth, but this wussy would take a c-section over one any day!
Old 04-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My DD was breech, so I ended up having to have one. Since she's my only child, I have nothing to compare it to, but I'll echo what most of the others have said in that it wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. The one thing I'll add that I don't think has been mentioned is to try not to let your bladder get too full before you empty it. That hurt like heck! Was I the only one who had that experience??
Old 04-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallt View Post
My DD was breech, so I ended up having to have one. Since she's my only child, I have nothing to compare it to, but I'll echo what most of the others have said in that it wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. The one thing I'll add that I don't think has been mentioned is to try not to let your bladder get too full before you empty it. That hurt like heck! Was I the only one who had that experience??
You know, from what the nurses told me, your urethral tissues can get irritated from having the catheter up there. I did experience pain the first few times I peed and I agree, I think the full bladder made it hurt more. But it was such a pain to get to the bathroom since I needed help to walk over there, etc. So... yeah... try to visit the bathroom often!!!