Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2015, 12:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Trying a new kind of scrapbooking

Have you ever switched your style of scrapping (not just design-wise) or watched it evolve over time? I've been scrapbooking for, gosh, 13 years or so? I've always done it as a way to document my kids growing up and my 'voice' of journaling has always reflected that. I find myself writing to them as adults (or to myself even should I become elderly and horribly forgetful, lol!)

But then I took about a year and a half break from scrapping. Life just got crazy and complicated and I dove into some other calming hobbies just to cope. I did Lynette's (Nettio) Holiday Faves class this Christmas just to give myself something new to do and it kinda jump started me again. But I don't feel like doing my same-old-same-old when it comes to scrapbooking. My boys are 16 and my dd is 12 and they just really don't appreciate me taking pics of everything they do anymore, and I've done SO MANY ALL ABOUT ME PAGES that I could wall paper my house. So I have this Snap 6x8 album and have started a really personal book that I don't even want anyone looking at. Some really, honest, brutal journaling about my crazy life. I decided about 3:00 this morning when I couldn't sleep AGAIN that I'd kinda like to keep it as a 'time capsule' of my life. Not the kind of scrapbook that you keep out on the coffeetable for people to look through, but the one you keep stashed away and later will pull out and think, "Ooo. Yeah. That was a really crappy month!" Maybe more like a personal journal but with photos and some creative expressions. Also doing a hybrid style, which I've never done, with my own handwriting and stuff. Simple stuff, but honest stuff. Not documenting my life for other people, but for myself.

Like this page where I captured some of my feelings about my dd's anxiety, which is full-blast on right now. Can't even get her out of the house and back to school. Definitely not a page I would put on Facebook, lol!

Has anyone else drastically changed their style anytime lately?
Old 01-09-2015, 02:50 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I actually really like the idea of a personal scrappy journal, I could use one of those sometimes on a really happy or really crappy day to look back on!

I'm usually a scrapper who likes to shove a lot of elements all over my page, lots of colours, patterns etc but I've been browsing Pinterest a lot lately (it's taken over my life basically lol!) and with me starting my first project life, I've decided to go with a really simple, lots of white space style and I think this will be quite a challenge for me design wise as it's so far from what I've been used to, but I think it will pretty much guarantee that I won't get too far behind and that's a deal breaker for me!
Old 01-09-2015, 03:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, might be fun for you to try that new, clean approach. You might even end up liking it better! I used to cram as much in as I could too, but then went simpler a couple years ago.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I always have a hard time breaking out of my usual style but I think that I could embrace an "art journal" kind of personal journal /diary (if I had the time. ) Perhaps thinking of it more as creating "art" and expressing myself, rather than putting it more in the box of scrapbooking/preserving memories, would make it easier to create something completely new and different.

I do some genealogy from time to time and the one thing that frustrates me is that even though you can find out dates, names, places, etc., it's really hard to know who your ancestors really ARE. What were they thinking and what did they struggle with? Were they happy being farmers or butchers or housewives? I think the kind of journal you are talking about as a "time capsule" would be amazing for you to have, but also as a kind of more historical record of YOU should you wish others to have access in the future. I know that I tend to gloss over unpleasant stuff when I scrapbook so such a record would help round out the story too.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
I do some genealogy from time to time and the one thing that frustrates me is that even though you can find out dates, names, places, etc., it's really hard to know who your ancestors really ARE. What were they thinking and what did they struggle with? Were they happy being farmers or butchers or housewives? I think the kind of journal you are talking about as a "time capsule" would be amazing for you to have, but also as a kind of more historical record of YOU should you wish others to have access in the future. I know that I tend to gloss over unpleasant stuff when I scrapbook so such a record would help round out the story too.
Interesting. I never thought about it that way. Very interesting!
Old 01-10-2015, 09:12 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

For my pregnancy I used a smash journal and loved it. I was brutally honest about all the things I struggled with. Not a journal in going to share with just anyone... But I thought it might be nice to have for my daughter (now 1.5 weeks old) to have when she wants to have a kiddo of her own. I know I had a ton of questions for my mom. I just journaled every week and smashed in things -like tags for my new bigger clothes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2015, 10:05 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I can tell my scrap style is changing. I'm obsessed with pocket scrapbooking and hybrid right now. I did a sn@p album for 2014 in a monthly project life style and loved it. I got some PL core kits and sheet protectors for Christmas and I'm getting ready to start baby albums for my kids. I still love digital, but there is something exciting holding product in your hands.

I was hoping for a Silhouette for Christmas, but I didn't get one. My hybrid is pretty much cards, and I just got a new printer so I hope that makes it easier to print and then use in albums. I feel like I'm in limbo with my scrapping right now.