Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
My word for 2011 is JOYFUL. I want to be content with the way that things are, and to feel like I am having fun again. When I was thinking about it, the opposite of joyful is melancholy. That really sealed it for me. I want to be less negative, and to focus on the positive. I have lots to be thankful for, and I want to focus on those blessings in my life. Instead of the things that I can't fix or change.
I so agree with this. I think my word is going to be "enjoy". I am at a point in my life where I have a successful career and a great family. I really need to stop obsessing about the small stuff, stop trying to control everything around me, stop trying to "fix" everything, and just ENJOY my life right now.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:08 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnidge View Post
Mine is thankful.

We've been having a very rough time financially in my family. It is so stressful and I'm constantly worried about making ends meet. I look at other friends my age and their husbands make a good living, they're buying houses & flat screen TVs & new trucks and SUVs. I battle with feelings of jealousy and wishing I was there worrying about what color to paint my house instead of worrying how I'm going to pay my bills and praying my car can last another year without needing any major repairs. I need to be more thankful for what I have and put a stop to the jealousy.
aw, I totally get that too. Just remember you aren't putting yourself in debt to live that life and you will be super thankful. LOL... at least that is what I try to tell myself! I almost picked thankful as my word too since I'm plain thankful that even though my husband lost his job this year (company went out of business) that he at least found a job to get us by. Now he needs to find a better job though.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
aw, I totally get that too. Just remember you aren't putting yourself in debt to live that life and you will be super thankful. LOL... at least that is what I try to tell myself! I almost picked thankful as my word too since I'm plain thankful that even though my husband lost his job this year (company went out of business) that he at least found a job to get us by. Now he needs to find a better job though.

Sorry your hubby lost his job... and I hope he finds something better soon! And yes, going into massive amounts of debt just to have those things I want would be terrible and would just add to my stress. lol

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have been thinking too... at first I thought my word for 2011 would be simplify, but now I really think it needs to be FOCUS. Then I want to choose specifics to focus on... family, home, self, relationships, others.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
Better!

2011 has to be better than 2010.
So true! Let's all hope for a year BETTER than 2010!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:38 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I love this idea. Mine is Prioritize because that's what everything seems to come down to for me, lack of prioritizing so I can make appropriate time for God, myself, family, etc....

Old 12-29-2010, 09:30 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My word is - Learn. I would like to learn some new recipes, photo techniques, scrapping techniques... I also want to take some fitness classes, and maybe some continuing education workshops too. This will be the year that I learn something new
Old 12-29-2010, 09:30 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

My word for 2011 is Do. I get down on myself a lot because of all the things I want to get done (cleaning, play, travel, study, sewing, scrapping...you get it) and this year I'm going to just do. Not put it off, not make up excuses. Something is always better than nothing.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So many great ideas... no clue what I'd pick! I like the idea of focus, thankful and change but a few others too... gotta think on this one awhile!

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dreamer View Post
So true! Let's all hope for a year BETTER than 2010!
I totally agree - I lost 6 months of this year with being sick

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 12-30-2010, 06:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

one of my words is Learn

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 12-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriesmom View Post
I'm not taking the class but I do have a word: Joy. Here is a page I did for it:

I love your page! I've never done a layout using my one word...need to do that. I've followed Ali a looong time. Have done the one word challenge a couple of years.
2010 was "unclutter". Unclutter my life, my home, my mind. It was helpful to have a focus and reminder! I was pretty successful but could continue it in 2011!

Still thinking about a few words for 2011. Have to let them simmer a few more days
Will choose from this list.....

Last edited by Randa; 12-30-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

So fun to read about everyone's word. Is anyone here planning on taking Ali's class at Big Picture?

My word for 2011 is adventure. Basically pushing past fear and uncertainty in order to embrace new experiences. More do-ing, less thinking and debating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkspots View Post
I hadn't heard of this before, but my word would have to be independence. DH is gong to be deploying this summer, for the first time in a LONG time, so I'm going to have to learn to be independent again before he leaves and be strong enough to handle everything once he leaves.
Big hugs!! My DH deployed June 2009-2010 so I've definitely been there. Just know that we're all here for you if you ever need anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
I've been thinking about my word for a few days now, and I haven't settled on one yet. I have a few things about myself I want to work on, so I'm trying to find a word that fits all of them.
Time - I need to prioritize my time better. Stop procrastinating. Be better at time management. Spend my time more wisely.
Focus - I need to learn to focus in my life. Too many things pulling me in too many directions means that nothing get the focus it deserves.
This is totally me too. My word for 2010 was change, largely because these were some of things I wanted to work on. I definitely feel like I made quite a bit of progress but it's still something I'll be working on in 2011. Definitely a work in progress.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Yea, trying to find a word to encompass everything is proving difficult. Change isn't striking a chord with me for some reason though.

LeeAndra suggested "zen" for my word. I'm thinking on it.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:43 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Lynette, I signed up for the class. I thought it'd be a good way to hold me accountable to my word - Prioritize - surely I can prioritize time to crank out one page/month?

Anyone else taking it?

Old 12-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Yea, trying to find a word to encompass everything is proving difficult. Change isn't striking a chord with me for some reason though.

LeeAndra suggested "zen" for my word. I'm thinking on it.
Yeah, I could see how that could be difficult. What about something like "refine" or maybe "growth"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkstew2 View Post
Lynnette, I signed up for the class. I thought it'd be a good way to hold me accountable to my word - Prioritize - surely I can prioritize time to crank out one page/month?

Anyone else taking it?
I just signed up. I'm excited.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
Big hugs!! My DH deployed June 2009-2010 so I've definitely been there. Just know that we're all here for you if you ever need anything.
Thank you so much. I've gotten over the initial shock and since there's nothing that we can do now, I've more or less put the thought away for the time being, although he's hoping for orders sooner than later so we can get squared away since our situation is so different. (and tell the family) But yeah, independence. It dawned on me that other day that I'm going to have to put gas in the car for the first time in years! Heck, I'm actually going to have to start driving again too-ight now, if I need to be somewhere and don't have a ride, I just take the train.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:35 PM

profile gallery send pm

I'm considering growth, def. I keep circling back to focus though too. I'm gonna sleep on it and see where I am at in the morning I think. I'm reluctant to use focus because I chose that a few years ago (although admittedly, I didn't even really use it past the first month or so, so choosing it again wouldn't be THAT big a deal).
Old 12-30-2010, 11:25 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I was just reading her blog the other day and have been thinking about this ever since and the word that kept coming back to me over and over is "no". I don't know how to say "no" to people - I want to please everyone - and what ends up happening is I get taken advantage of and walked all over. And it ends up trickling down and effecting my family and I can't let people do that to me anymore. I need to put myself and my family first and learn to say "no".

Old 12-30-2010, 11:50 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post

I just signed up. I'm excited.
I signed up too. The debate with myself is over.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been thinking about what my word should be a lot since this thread started. The word that keeps coming back to me is "focus". I like this word for 2011 on so many different levels. In an overall sense I need to focus on the things that are important - and let go of the things that aren't. I also need to have better focus on the thing I'm supposed to be accomplishing at the time and stop being distracted by other things (can you say social media?). So that's it. My word for 2011 is "focus."
Old 12-31-2010, 01:37 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

So after careful contemplation, my word for 2011 is Simplify.

1. Simplify and organize my house.
2. Simplify my eating and therefore lose weight.
3. Simplify the daily chores.
4. Simplify the finances and save money.
etc etc

Old 12-31-2010, 02:19 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I'm still thinking about mine, but for now I'm thinking that Peace would be a good one.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

I still can't decide! And clearly I'm running out of time....
Old 12-31-2010, 06:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesfl326 View Post
So after careful contemplation, my word for 2011 is Simplify.

1. Simplify and organize my house.
2. Simplify my eating and therefore lose weight.
3. Simplify the daily chores.
4. Simplify the finances and save money.
etc etc
I love this!
Old 01-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm so glad I read this thread! I've never chosen a word before, but you've all got me thinking. So, I've decided that my word is POSITIVE.

I need to have a more positive attitude, instead of focusing on all the clouds & blahs... I want to be constructive rather than skeptical, to encourage and be a better role model for my boy and be more supportive to my DH. To get up and actually do what I say I will/ want to do. To realise that the glass really, really is half full

BTW, when I started typing this relpy, I typed 'I think I will choose the word positive', but then I realised how totally NOT positive that sentence was & changed it, so I'm already going for it!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My 2010 word was peace, and I've seriously considered picking it again for 2011 because it was very calming just to have chosen that word already! After thinking about it, I've picked "perspective", because in order to be more peaceful, I need to keep things in perspective. One of my biggest obstacle to reaching the life I want is the little dramas I'm creating (or letting other people create), so this word will help me keep things where they should be. It's also a good word to help me have more peaceful relationships by changing my perspective, my point of view and trying to see things from the others' point of view. I'll try to scrap my word and keep the LO in sight all year long with visual reminders.

Signature created using "To The Moon And Back" by Amanda Yi & Meghan Mullens
Old 01-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

This has been a great thread to read and get to know everyone a little by your word choices and life circumstances that led to your choice.

I hope everyone will post their one word layouts here.

Here is mine:

Link to Layout
Old 01-01-2011, 07:44 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I've been thinking about my word for a few days now, and I haven't settled on one yet. I have a few things about myself I want to work on, so I'm trying to find a word that fits all of them.
Time - I need to prioritize my time better. Stop procrastinating. Be better at time management. Spend my time more wisely.
Focus - I need to learn to focus in my life. Too many things pulling me in too many directions means that nothing get the focus it deserves.
Patience - I need to learn to be patient. With myself. With others. With God.
Acceptance - I need to learn to accept the things I cannot change, change the things that I can, and know the difference between the two. I need to accept things, good or bad, as they come and grow from the experience that those things give me.

Lots of thinking going on over here.
After some reluctance, and a lot of thinking, I've decided to start 2011 by choosing the word Focus. I can apply it to many of the things I listed above, as well as some new things that have come up since I posted that. I found out that I failed my PE test for the second time and will need to take it again in April. So the most important focus for the first 4 months of 2011 will be on learning. Being forced to focus on the learning will also force me to focus on the rest of my life as my time will be limited (and thus I will have to prioritize, and stop procrastinating - which were my time related goals).

So, Focus it is.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My word for 2011 is going to be Balance.

I need to find a way to better balance the things I want to do and the things I need to do...plain and simple. Everyday there needs to be more of a balance in my life rather than everything going to the extremes.

I need to learn to take the time to do the things I really want to do and not let the things I think I "need" to do weigh me down.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm coming a bit late to the party, but I'm going to give this a try. I know what concepts I want my word to embody, but I'm still picking the word. I've considered relax and perspective, but right now I'm leaning toward CHOOSE.

I get frustrated with my kids and yell too easily. I get overwhelmed with the constant, conflicting demands, and I feel like I can't take time to play with them enough. I get to choose how I spend my time with them, whether I react with anger, and whether I focus on the good or the bad.

I need to lose weight. I tend to lose slowly and plateau badly (due to what I suspect are thyroid issues), and I need not to give up when that happens. I need to make a conscious choice to keep tracking (and therefore watching) what I eat even when I'm not seeing any progress. I have to make healthy choices even if circumstances make it hard.

I need to choose to put effort into what's important to me long term, not put it off with excuses about doing it when I have more time and energy. That applies to my relationship with DH, exercising, and so many other things. I let the wrong things go when life gets crowded, and I need to be more conscious about whether my actions reflect my priorities.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I already picked my word for 2011 and it will be... "Enjoy".
After some years of dreams, hard work, disappointment, fear, stress, cry, do-over... and some more - we finally made our dream come true in 2010. Now I guess it's time to sit on the porch of my new home, grab a cold drink and enjoy it.
Enjoy the little things in life because life isn't made (only) of BIG moments, but a bunch of small ones.
Enjoy the childhood of my DD b/c she's growing up way too fast!!!
Enjoy the AWESOME husband I have and sometimes (*ahem* sometimes, right. Whatevah...) I drive him CRAZY!!
Enjoy life...
Old 01-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
After some reluctance, and a lot of thinking, I've decided to start 2011 by choosing the word Focus. I can apply it to many of the things I listed above, as well as some new things that have come up since I posted that. I found out that I failed my PE test for the second time and will need to take it again in April. So the most important focus for the first 4 months of 2011 will be on learning. Being forced to focus on the learning will also force me to focus on the rest of my life as my time will be limited (and thus I will have to prioritize, and stop procrastinating - which were my time related goals).

So, Focus it is.
I choose focus too for much the same reasons - I can apply it to pretty much all of the things in my life I would like to do better.

What is PE?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinkies View Post
Looks like my word for the year is going to be "FINISH". So boring - but maybe if I work hard this year I can have a much cooler word next year .
Finish is a great word! I am notorious for starting new projects and never finishing them. Good luck!

Rachel and Giseli - love your words too!

When/if you do layouts with your word - post them here so we can see them.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm not taking the class, either . . . but I did choose a word for 2011 to address a huge need I have lately, and that is "FOCUS". Seems like I constantly have so much going on & have gotten so disorganized that I have difficulty focusing and following through. But as an inherently OCD person, that is soooooo frustrating to me, and I'm definitely going to work on it this year. Plus, I figure it might help improve the blurry photos I seem to be taking a lot of lately, too :-)
Old 01-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I ended up choosing RELAX as my word. I can apply it to at least 3 different things that I want to work on this year, so it seemed perfect.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have changed my word for 2011.

It is THRIVE.
-to flourish
-to prosper
-to progress or realize a goal--despite, or because of, circumstances.

I am hoping to cultivate a 'bloom where you are planted' type of energy.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My word is Confidence...

Old 01-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

We started this in our church a few years ago. . . and I look so forward to "getting" my new word each year.

This year my word is "FAITHFUL" and I see so many ways that I can apply it already!

More:
faithful as in more faith-filled
faithful in my responsibilities
faithful in my relationships
faithful in my prayer-life
faithful in my scrapping and documenting
Old 01-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

This is my first year choosing a word and it took me a while to come up with one that I thought would best fit. I decided on the word BREATHE. It might sound a little weird but basically I chose this word b/c I always get consumed with things I think I NEED to do and how I think they should be done when I need to learn how to just take a step back, take a breath and enjoy my life and family. So when I start to get wound up and stressed out in this way of thinking (which at the end usually involves things that aren't really important)I need to just remember to BREATHE.