Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2012, 12:41 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default see... it does matter...

Hahaha... I know my family apprieciates the scrapbooks that I make, but sometimes it's pretty cool to see how your art impacts others. For example, I did a layout about my donating my hair to locks of love... well, I made a mistake and printed out two copies. My mom took the copy, just to show her hairdresser that had cut my hair the photos in the layout (since I don't print out just prints anymore)... well, Amy (hairdresser) was so touched that there was a layout made on it that she asked for the copy... she even framed it and uses it when she goes around talking about hair. So many people have commented on it and asked if she got that directly from Locks of Love...

Today it happened again... my cousin and her daughter just got their black belts in karate last night. When my 2nd cousin first started out in karate - I think it has to be 3 years now, maybe 4... my aunt wanted to learn how to scrapbook. She came up one weekend (she lives about 3 hours away) and I showed her how to use PSE by creating a layout on the first time my 2nd cousin did karate... and this is what my aunt wrote to my mom today...

"Oh, Becky had an involvement in this too yesterday I hope you tell her which so surprised someone and I can't tell you how many times I was thanked. After the belt presentations, there is kind of a reception. Family and friends come around and congratulate, look at the belt, instructors come around thing like that. So, I had this idea on Friday about printing off the photos of how this all began at Vilas Park. I knew for sure Mr. Wyeth would be there because of his wife and even still he never misses a tournament. So I printed off the Vilas Park scrapbook Page Becky had done. I walked up to Mr Wyeth and introduced myself to him and told him that from that lesson at Vilas Park, today she is a blackbelt. He just kind of looked at me until I showed him what I had for him. He was amazed. He said that in all of the years he has been teaching NO ONE had ever done that for him. I told him that it was because of Sunny Day that she really got her start; but her first lessons were actually from him. Even after everything was said and done, he came back and thanked me again."

aww... that is the power of scrapbooking, isn't it?

Do you have stories like this too?
Old 10-28-2012, 12:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Aw Rebecca, that is so cool. I don't have any neat stories like that, but I make baby's first year albums for all my siblings kids, and I know they love and appreciate them.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Awesome!
Old 10-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

that is awesome...and even though I don't have stories like that, all of my best friends have a framed 12x12 or two in their home or office from when we all went to Vegas and they get compliments all the time I am working on making them each an album of all the times we have spent together!
Old 10-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That's very cool and rewarding!

I have a little different kind of story that's a little farfetched about how a layout led to something kind of cool.

My FIL was a WWII war hero and Colonel in the Air Force. I have done layouts about him (first I did them in paper and then in digi). Years ago when I first started a blog, I put a slide show of layouts on slide.com. A few years ago, my FIL's ex-wife's (whom he was married to during WWII, but not my husband's mother) great niece found one of the layouts on slide.com and she just happened to have a copy of the same photo. I don't even know how she found that.

Anyway, she contacted me through email and we sent photos back and forth. My husband had never even seen pics of his dad's ex-wife. It turns out her father was named after my FIL and he didn't know it. So, that had gotten me interested in finding info on him on the internet. I did some searches and found an e-book being written by one of his fellow prisoners of war and my FIL was mentioned. I commented on the e-book blog to let them know what had happened to him (he had passed away) and we corresponded a bit.

I must have put that I wanted email notification of any other comments on that blog because a couple of years later I got notice that a documentary was being made from that e-book (which had actually become a real book and was published). I found the FB page for the movie and commented that my FIL was one of the 168 airmen who had been held illegally at Buchenwald. The producer saw my comment and asked me to email him. He wanted pics of my FIL for the movie. My FIL was the US commanding officer during that time at Buchenwald and so we were very happy to have him represented. And then, the producer let the surviving airmen (only 8 out of that 168) who were in the film know that my FIL had been "found", and one of them wanted to contact me just to touch base and trade stories.

And all that just from a layout I posted on a now-defunct website.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

Thats a very cool story!
Old 10-28-2012, 07:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinaz View Post
That's very cool and rewarding!

I have a little different kind of story that's a little farfetched about how a layout led to something kind of cool.

My FIL was a WWII war hero and Colonel in the Air Force. I have done layouts about him (first I did them in paper and then in digi). Years ago when I first started a blog, I put a slide show of layouts on slide.com. A few years ago, my FIL's ex-wife's (whom he was married to during WWII, but not my husband's mother) great niece found one of the layouts on slide.com and she just happened to have a copy of the same photo. I don't even know how she found that.

Anyway, she contacted me through email and we sent photos back and forth. My husband had never even seen pics of his dad's ex-wife. It turns out her father was named after my FIL and he didn't know it. So, that had gotten me interested in finding info on him on the internet. I did some searches and found an e-book being written by one of his fellow prisoners of war and my FIL was mentioned. I commented on the e-book blog to let them know what had happened to him (he had passed away) and we corresponded a bit.

I must have put that I wanted email notification of any other comments on that blog because a couple of years later I got notice that a documentary was being made from that e-book (which had actually become a real book and was published). I found the FB page for the movie and commented that my FIL was one of the 168 airmen who had been held illegally at Buchenwald. The producer saw my comment and asked me to email him. He wanted pics of my FIL for the movie. My FIL was the US commanding officer during that time at Buchenwald and so we were very happy to have him represented. And then, the producer let the surviving airmen (only 8 out of that 168) who were in the film know that my FIL had been "found", and one of them wanted to contact me just to touch base and trade stories.

And all that just from a layout I posted on a now-defunct website.
wow - that is cool!