Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 10-13-2015, 12:35 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Let's talk vitamins!

Do you take vitamins and if so what do you take? Do your kids? Do you notice any differences when you take them vs when you don't?
Old 10-13-2015, 12:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I take these vitamins. I definitely notice a difference if I forget to take them. I feel sluggish but when I take these regularly I feel normal. Not exactly energetic but just like I'm better able to get through the day.

http://www.amazon.com/Source-Natural...e+multivitamin

My kids take a children's gummy vitamin. They understand it's not candy but they still cheer when it's vitamin time! Lol.. It's hard to tell with them whether or not they actually do anything for them but I figure it can't hurt! They do seem to get sick a little less frequently than their classmates though. They drink a lot of water and I use essential oils when I feel something coming on.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am a skeptic... there are so many variables in play when it comes to taking them properly that I feel I can't risk making "expensive pee" as they call it online and waste the money on it. On the up side this has made me put more research into food itself... just exactly how much you need of what to get the vits you need (I'm talking waaaaay beyond food guide research), so I make smoothies each day (it's the only way to get myself or my kids to eat any veggies), so I know we are getting what we need in the most natural way possible. My kids used to take vitamins every day, I never really noticed any changes in them BUT on the odd day that they would forget to take it, OR if we ran out a day or two before we were able to go to the store to restock they would get SUPER sick! This was another reason I decided to put more time and effort into using food rather than supplements.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:44 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I take a standard multivitamin (One A Day for Women) as well as a biotin supplement. I've had a horrible time recently with hair loss & nails breaking, so I'm hoping the biotin will help with that. My sister takes it, and she's the one who encouraged me to try it.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:30 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I don't take any vitamins lately, aside from taking Emergen-C packets when I think I'm getting sick. I've made an effort to drink smoothies and I eat power foods daily like eggs, berries, kale, spinach, avocado, chia seeds, etc. I drink a huge glass of lemon water (with a whole lemon) every day. That has been such a huge improvement for my energy, strangely. Our family eats a good variety of fruits and veggies in all colors of the rainbow. I know we should probably take a supplement just to fill in the blanks, but as it is we are in good health so I don't feel like I need to spend the extra money.

I do plan to make a batch of Elderberry syrup for the whole family to take daily this fall/winter. I've heard such good things about it. I found a recipe online that has rose hips, raw honey, cinnamon and cloves in it. I've also heard of people taking a TSP of blackstrap molasses daily because it is so rich in vitamins and minerals. I'd rather take natural supplements & whole foods than a tablet vitamin.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've never been able to get into a regular vitamin routine, though I've tried many times. I really need to at least supplement vitamin D though. I think I even have them at home. Maybe I need to try again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 10-13-2015, 04:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've started on some vitamins that are supposedly going to make my skin better. Less acne, less wrinkles, more glow and so on. I'm giving it a try to see if it works. They contain c-vitamine, a-vitamine and collagen plus some other bits. AS of now those are the only ones I take, but I should start taking my omega-3 capsules again as winter is coming (haha see what I did there) and I need the extra d-vitamine.

My kids take d-vitamin drops in their smoothie or yoghurt since that's recommended due to our crappy weather. When they get older they will be taking the same omega-3 capsules I take and the same vitamin-c "drink" I did as a child.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

ooohhh... one thing I've learned is never talk about religion, politics and vitamin usage...

So, to keep my out of trouble - I'm just going to say, yes, I take vitamins - I do not trust our food supply to have all the nutrients we are suppose to get - even when it's "fresh," - I take a liquid multi-vitamin, a ton of vit D (especially in the winter)... the "triple" tickle when we are getting sick... probiotics, and resveratrol, daily.

My son takes mutli-vit gummy (liquid has apples and he is allergic) and probiotics.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:35 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I take the star wars multi vitamins that I get the kids. When I was pregnant my pre natal vitamins made me so sick that my doctor had me switch to Flintstones and I just kind of stuck with taking kids chewy vitamins.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do a vitamin D spray 9 months out of the year since our winters suck and we have so little sunlight (and I refuse to spend enough time in the freezing cold with enough skin exposed to get vitamin naturally in the winter ) I also do a vitamin B12 spray a few times a week and that's it. I eat a whole foods, plant based diet so I get tons of vitamins and minerals through my food. I hardly ever get sick (maybe 1 head cold a year), I have plenty of energy, my hair/nails are strong and thick, and all my levels are fine on labs so I'm good with not taking anything else

Cheyanne (15) takes the same as I do - she eats the same way I do also.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:38 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I started taking B12 a couple of years ago and found it really helped with evening out mood swings.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:25 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

B12 is something I JUST purchased to start taking.. which is actually why I started the thread in the first place. I know I should be taking Vitamin D as well.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I take Vitamin D at night with my other daily meds. I notice if I skip them multiple days in a row that I start feeling really down. So I can see them as a must have. Not sure why I stopped taking my B-12, but I need to pick that back up again as it helps my moods as well. I take them at night so they don't make me feel nauseous.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I take chewy vitamins for women, a vitamin D/calcium combo and biotin. I know I'm not always getting enough vitamins from food and calcium seems like a good plan at my age. I was having problems with a few peeling nails and I think the biotin has been a good thing.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:35 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I take calcium & fish oil tablets every night, sometimes, some high dose of vitamin C when I feel my body is exhausted.
My son takes fish oil and vitamin c. It helps his appetite and dry skin.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:47 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't take any vitamins or supplements at all. I do drink green smoothie every morning and cook from scratch everyday. All of my blood work has come out normal and hardly ever get sick. So, I'm guessing I'm on the right track. Same with my kids. They took vitamins when they were young, but it's been a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2015, 03:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I take a multi-vitamin targeted for women (of the gummy variety ... because, why not, lol) I also take B12 and magnesium (my doctor told me it helps prevent migraines). I don't really notice a difference per se, but I also don't notice any thing bad, so I guess it can't hurt!
Old 10-14-2015, 04:28 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I never have, but I am starting to think now that I am getting older, I should. I bought a multi vitamin and some fish oil. I was just thinking I should look for something to help my hair, too, I don't want to lose it.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I only take vitamins (Women's Complete) in the winter. I do the same with my six year old. My youngest is almost two so I haven't started him yet.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:01 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

DD takes some kids' gummy vitamin at night. DS is too little to take them yet.

I need to take them because my diet sucks right now. Tell me what to take, and I will go get some!
Old 10-15-2015, 01:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I take a mix of vitamins because of my vegan/vegetarian lifestyle. Vitamin D only during the cold months.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I take a chewy multivitamin and depending on iron levels I take a iron tablet too - do not want a repeat of 5 years ago

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020X using Tapatalk

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 10-16-2015, 02:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My daughter is taking Scott's chewable and usana fish oil while I'm taking a mixed usana vitamins. I can see a good result for both of us, we have more energy the whole day unlike when we aren't taking vitamins I make sure that my daughter take one of each daily. But as for me, I usually forget to take them and just remember to when I feel very tired, it's my reminder, lol. My husband used to take a multivitamins (not usana) but he stopped since he has no problem sleeping.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:02 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I take milk chocalate chewable calcium, vitamin D (as encouraged by my DR), and a multivitamin only 2 days a week. I read a report about how taking to many multi-vitamins increase the chance of heart disease, here is one article. That said, there are so many confusing studies done about what is healthy and what is not (and it often changes when a new study is done.)
Old 10-19-2015, 12:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am also a skeptic, especially with some studies now showing that many vitamins may do more harm than good. That said, studies do seem to support Vitamin D as useful for men and women, and B for women. I take D and occasionally B, and also occasionally biotin.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:54 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

I have to take vitamin b shots because I'm chronically deficient you can tell if I've missed a week or so of my dosage, I get pretty foggy and tired. Otherwise I don't take any other vitamins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk