Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Default What kind of software?

I got introduced to digital scrapbooking with CM's Storybook Creator 3.0. I know there are templates and files I can't use (easily) in SBC and that kinda bugs me. But it's also not been too difficult to learn. I'm wondering what others use, how hard was it to learn and what they love (or dislike) about it.

Annie
Old 09-27-2011, 08:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to use Photoshop Elements, and thats probably what I would recommend for you. It's fairly easy to learn, you can do almost everything with it, and its not very expensive(under 100). I currently use Photoshop CS4, and I love it. It's definitely more costly and harder to learn, but it's been great for me.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:14 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I second, Jen. There are many tutorials on the web for photoshop elements... even many of the designers here at SSD have tutorials on their own websites.

I also believe that you can download a 30 day trial to see if you like it.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I started with Photoshop Elements before my Aunt bought me CS4. I love them both! good luck
Old 09-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I am going to recommend the free elements trial download too! I found it pretty easy to use. I had to print out tutorials for a few things, but once I got down how to clip a paper and a template I was good to go. Try it for 30 days if you don't like it then free trial something else. Then watch for a good sale and pick up the one you end up liking the most.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

Another suggestion for Photoshop Elements, here. It's easy to learn (there's books and tutorials everywhere) and much less expensive than Photoshop CS. I've used it for years and am really happy with it. I'll upgrade to CS someday, but I'm good with Elements for now!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:23 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
There are many tutorials on the web for photoshop elements... even many of the designers here at SSD have tutorials on their own websites.
I use Photoshop Elements as well and this is so true - for any technique that you are interested in trying there is most likely a tutorial out there.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:29 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

you might want to wait on downloading the trial version of PSE... I believe there is a new version coming out this weekend.

ETA: nevermind... it looks like they have the new version up... but I will add that if you do like it, you might want to see if you can get it from Costco starting in October... because there are several free mini kits that are included in the bundle and some of them are from designers here at SSD. Check out this post from Julie.

Last edited by heathergw; 09-27-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I would recommend Photoshop Elements as well. It might be a little more difficult to learn at first but it'll give you the most room to grow in the long run.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Another Photoshop Elements user here I started using it years ago for things other than scrapbooking, so I just learned with that since it was what I had at the time. I love it and have no desire to switch to anything else.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I too use Photoshop elements and even teach classes in. I picked it because it is pretty powerful but still fairly intuitive for me. If you decide to go with PSE, send me a pm and I'll share my class info with you.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Since so much of the digiscrapping community uses PSE or PS, those are the programs you'll find the most help for (tutorials and the ability to ask questions in the forums). IMO, that makes them the easiest programs to learn to scrap with, and they can do pretty much everything you'd want the ability to do. I used to use a non-Photoshop program to scrap with, but even though it did everything PSE did and was less expensive I never recommended it to people because you had to figure everything out through trial and error.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:04 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for all of the input! I'm attempting to get the free trial to download but it's giving me fits. I'm hoping to figure it out during my lunch break at school so I can play when I get home. *sigh*
Old 09-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I'll be the odd (woman) out. I started digi scrapping just over a year ago, and never could get the hang of using Photoshop Elements. I have been using Memory Mixer 3 (which, IMO, is very user friendly) and recently switched to My Memories Suite because you can work on a two-page LO (pages side by side); I couldn't do that with Memory Mixer. I am very happy with the program. I am also a simple scrapper, so maybe this makes the difference (?)

SAHM to three girls (17,12,8) and two (very) spoiled mutts!

5 year breast cancer survivor

Words With Friends user ID: kpnv70

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/Scrapper007/
Old 09-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I've never used elements I started with PSP and then got CS4 but I recently downloaded the trail version of elements for my niece and I would highly reccomend it x
Old 10-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I wanted to say thanks to everyone who commented! I downloaded the trial version of Elements and was able to make my very first page last night, using a free template I got in an email. Getting started was the worst part, after that it started going much better. And I have to give a shout out to ChristyHC for her help! Now I have to figure out which program I would prefer. The fact that most scrapbookers use Photoshop has me leaning that way, and even more so when I realize how much of the content I use these days is non-CM.

Y'all rock! Thanks for the help!

Annie