Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2011, 06:08 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default Talk to me about Cricuts!!

Not the chirp, chirp kind, the cutting machines. LOL! I really, really want one, just not sure what to get and what the difference is. The expression is so expensive and in the Michael's ad I saw they have the personal cutter on sale for $59.99 (reg. $99.99). So what does the expression do that the personal cutter can't do? Which one should I invest in?
Old 09-29-2011, 06:43 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I wouldn't waste your money...I own one and so want to get rid of it and all the cartridges I have spent way too much money on! I really, really, want to get a Silhouette. The bummer thing about the Cricut is that you have to buy the cartridges for each different font/image and you can't buy just 1 image (i.e. you want to cut out an ice cream cone, you have to spend $50-$90 for a cartridge with that pic). With a Silhouette, you can buy different images online and separately so you don't spend a fortune in cartridges. Plus it will cut any true type font on you computer.
This being said, I haven't researched or looked into any updates Cricut has made. Maybe they have made some changes to be more like the Silhouette. So if I were you I'd check out and compare the 2 before deciding...
Old 09-29-2011, 06:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I would invest in a Silhouette also... the software you used to be able to get to cut out digital objects is no longer available for the Cricut... plus I've heard that it isn't as accurate in cutting anyways.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Even though I don't use mine... I would go the Silhouette route, too...
Old 09-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I went with the Silhouette too. It just seemed more appropriate for a digital gal like us! Oh maybe you could design some stuff for it too!! They've just released a new model, not sure what the diff is between that and what I got though. I bought mine because I had a large GC for the LSS and couldn't find anything else I wanted.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I thought about investing into a die-cut machine before, so I looked into that, but honestly, I would rather invest into a machine that actually is able to also cut your computer files (the digiscrap stuff you already have). There is one machine that does that, but I can't remember what it was called (I think it's a UK fabrication).

Just the other day, I checked into the machines they offer at 2Peas, and they have customer reviews for each machine that could be very helpful. I agree about the cricut and it being very expensive in maintaining it, and very limited in its use (I'd never invest into a Cricut, though I'm about to test one that my colleague has and never really uses). But a lot of people at 2 Peas complained about the complexity and customer service of the Silhouette, while others were quite satisfied with it. Just check out the die-cut machines at 2 Peas and you'll easily find the reviews.

Again, if I ever get a chance (being in China makes things a hundred times more difficult to get) I'd invest into a machine that would be able to cut my extensive digistash files. Why buy more cutting files online, when your computer is flowing over with goodies already?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:15 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I don't always use my Cricut but I do like it..I have a friend that has an Expression and then one that has the even newer version that is like a mini computer...but that being said, I have had mine for 5 years now and it still works and I only have the personal cutter one...luck for me, my girlfriend {the one with the newer expensive one} has probably 50 cartridges so if I want something I just borrow it form her!!!!! I don't know anythign about the Shiloutte so I can't comment. But I also very much a paper scrapper so my Cricut does get used!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm far from the expert... but I'm pretty sure you can convert your digi supplies to be cut on Silhouette... you trace the item in the software that comes with the machine... that is the only reason by I bought a Silhouette. LOL! Do I use it? No...
Old 09-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh didn't even think of the Silhouette. Glad I asked here. Well I will do some research on it and see if that is the route I should go. Thank so much ladies!!
Old 09-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Definitely look into the Silhouette. It can cut your digital files - it takes some tinkering, but it works once you figure out how to do it.

The banner on this card was cut using my Silhouette.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

You can do so much more with a silhouette, I have both and my cricut never gets touched since I got the silhouette, I put rhinestones on everything now
Old 09-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I have the expression from when I had my sb store. I like it and it does what I need however, I don't do alot with hybrid so not sure I would get it over the silohette now. At the time the expression was perfect for my store and needs..
Old 09-29-2011, 11:23 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Smile

I borrowed one of the big $300ish ones from my friend to do a bulletin board for Teacher Appreciation Week and it was awesome. BUT, since I'm a digi girl, I don't really have that much of a need to really justify buying one.

The one I used was really cool. My friend had bought some random, third party software that allows you to cut ANY font you want, so you don't have to buy the sets of fonts they sell for tons of money, it was all patched through from your computer, it was so cool!

I've heard the lower priced ones aren't worth investing in and that they break. Can't say I have actual experience with those, that's just the word I've heard.

Public Relations for www.digitalscrapper.com
(Photoshop & PSE digital scrapbook training)
Old 09-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm ashamed to say I have a Silhouette and really haven't used it at all! I know it does some really cool things... just haven't put the effort into figuring it out. As I was cutting some flowers I had printed the other day, I did wonder if the silhouette could do it for me. Now I know!
Old 09-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to yari

You want to invest in a Silhouette for sure. You can do soooo much with it.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I bought a Cricut and have literally used it twice. I bought the extra software (called Sure Cuts A Lot) so I could cut any font I want & individual files, without having to buy the cartridges. I wish now that I'd saved my money and waited to get the Silhouette. I can't get my Cricut to cut properly, no matter what setting I put it on. It won't cut all the way through my paper, even on simple shapes like squares, let alone intricate items. It just cuts part of it, then "scratches" the surface of the other half, so I end up cutting the 2nd half by hand!

Huge fan of: