Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-01-2015, 01:08 AM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm
Default Challenge Bingo FAQ!

We think this year's challenges are simple and straightforward, but if you have questions, ask them here!

I'll try to update this post with questions and answers as they come in so we have a quick reference spot with all of the info you need on this year's newest challenge format!

Happy Scrapping!

Robin
Old 01-01-2015, 01:13 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The new challenge system is amazing! What a great overhaul and way to accommodate different preferences. I can't wait to get started on January. Thanks for all the hard work that went into it!
Old 01-01-2015, 04:05 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Sounds fun! Couple of questions:

Will there be a gallery just for the challenge LOs?

Do we post the bingo card in the monthly thread only by the end of the month once we've completed the challenges that we want to do, or do we post it as we go and add to it as we complete each challenge?
Old 01-01-2015, 08:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I clicked on the link to download the bingo card but all I get is a jpeg of it and no download... am I missing a link somewhere? I'm running on very little sleep this morning! LOL
Old 01-01-2015, 11:54 AM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewilcox View Post
I clicked on the link to download the bingo card but all I get is a jpeg of it and no download... am I missing a link somewhere? I'm running on very little sleep this morning! LOL
You can Right click > Save As to save the bingo card to your computer.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hahaha - Duh! I told you I was running on very little sleep!
Old 01-01-2015, 12:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
Sounds fun! Couple of questions:

Will there be a gallery just for the challenge LOs?

Do we post the bingo card in the monthly thread only by the end of the month once we've completed the challenges that we want to do, or do we post it as we go and add to it as we complete each challenge?
I'm wondering what we put in the gallery? The same size as before? And then the Bingo card won't have links in it? Right?
Old 01-01-2015, 12:49 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

That's right, Kristi. You still load your regular 700x700 in the gallery. The bingo card won't be linked. You'll just saved a flattened JPG of your card and post that in the monthly thread.

I'd say it's up to you whether you want to update a post with progress throughout the month or just wait until your card is complete. As long as your finished card (for whatever discount you're working toward) is posted by midnight on Feb 1, that's all we're looking for. If it were me, I'd probably post my card when I was finished completely just so that I'm not having to save it and update it several times throughout the month.

Good idea on the challenge gallery. I bet Robin can set that up for us.

Last edited by Libby Pritchett; 01-01-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Libby!!
Old 01-01-2015, 04:05 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Just added a challenge bingo gallery for you girls to share your layouts in!! So excited!

Libby is totally right, you're welcome to post your bingo cards as you make progress or you can hold off and post them by midnight on February 1st! Whatever is easiest for you!

So excited for our first Bingo with the Babes thread to roll out on Monday too - I cant wait for you to see their inspiration and share some of your own too!
Old 01-01-2015, 05:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I LOVE this idea! I think it's going to be a great motivator to anyone who participates.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:08 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quick question - For the "A is for..." square, does it have to be A or is can it be whatever letter we want?
Old 01-02-2015, 02:17 AM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriJ View Post
Quick question - For the "A is for..." square, does it have to be A or is can it be whatever letter we want?
Any letter you want is just fine. That definitely falls into the "as long as you scrap in the spirit of the challenge, you'll be fine" area! Have fun with these and get creative <3
Old 01-02-2015, 11:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Another Question:

"Zero Embellishments" - does that could paint & doodles? Or are embellishments chunky things like flowers, buttons, etc..
Old 01-02-2015, 11:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've just scrapped a page meant to be for the 'this year I'm going to' prompt but I made a mistake so mine says 'this year I will' instead, will that count or should I go back and change it?
Old 01-02-2015, 11:21 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I'm shopping around for a simple digi-scrapping project to help me jump back into it. I used to scrap pages every week, but in the last couple of years I've focused on my photography and only scrapped a few pages each year! I really like this challenge format with all the prompts presented upfront and the flexibility of interpreting them our own ways.

The thing that keeps giving me pause when considering joining challenges, however, is that I don't think I have enough current product for any single digi-scrap store (because of my two year hiatus from scrapping) to make all my layouts using mostly appropriate products. I do have A LOT of kits though -- I started digi-scrapping in 2004 -- and not much in my budget for buying new stuff, so I'd like to use what I have.

I just searched my files for the designers' names listed in the store and do find I have several of them in my stash -- though mostly old and/or freebies.

To fulfill the "must use Sweet Shoppe products for the bulk" do the items have to be currently in the store or would it be okay to use items I have from current designers, even though it probably came from their previous stores or were freebies from months ago?

Would it be frowned upon if I start out participating with anything I currently have in my stash, knowing I don't qualify for the rewards, just to try this out and see if this is the project for me? Then in February I could start building a specifically Sweet Shoppe stash.

On another note, I understand all the prompts on the bingo card, except maybe one: spin-a-lift. Does that mean to scraplift a page of Alyson's, changing it to make it our own (putting our own spin on it)?

Finally, will the prompts change every month and repeats be moved around the bingo board?

Thank you!

p.s. By way of quick introduction, since I see I have never posted here before today, I don't remember what originally brought me here when I registered in June 2013 but today I came after reading Traci Reed's latest newsletter.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:55 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

This is probably a stupid question but how do I find Alyson Hall's pages to lift?
Old 01-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Great question Erica! You can go to our staff page and click on the little camera icon to view her gallery!
Old 01-02-2015, 12:59 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Robin, loving this challenge. I'm already thinking and scribbling ideas rather and eating my tea - oops!
Old 01-02-2015, 01:01 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
Another Question:

"Zero Embellishments" - does that could paint & doodles? Or are embellishments chunky things like flowers, buttons, etc..
We actually think paint and doodles are embellishments. I'd say photo, text, papers would be fair game but otherwise, it's an embellishment.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
I've just scrapped a page meant to be for the 'this year I'm going to' prompt but I made a mistake so mine says 'this year I will' instead, will that count or should I go back and change it?
Definitely in the spirit of the challenge. You'll be fine!
Old 01-02-2015, 01:17 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelepixels View Post
I'm shopping around for a simple digi-scrapping project to help me jump back into it. I used to scrap pages every week, but in the last couple of years I've focused on my photography and only scrapped a few pages each year! I really like this challenge format with all the prompts presented upfront and the flexibility of interpreting them our own ways.

The thing that keeps giving me pause when considering joining challenges, however, is that I don't think I have enough current product for any single digi-scrap store (because of my two year hiatus from scrapping) to make all my layouts using mostly appropriate products. I do have A LOT of kits though -- I started digi-scrapping in 2004 -- and not much in my budget for buying new stuff, so I'd like to use what I have.

I just searched my files for the designers' names listed in the store and do find I have several of them in my stash -- though mostly old and/or freebies.

To fulfill the "must use Sweet Shoppe products for the bulk" do the items have to be currently in the store or would it be okay to use items I have from current designers, even though it probably came from their previous stores or were freebies from months ago?

Would it be frowned upon if I start out participating with anything I currently have in my stash, knowing I don't qualify for the rewards, just to try this out and see if this is the project for me? Then in February I could start building a specifically Sweet Shoppe stash.

On another note, I understand all the prompts on the bingo card, except maybe one: spin-a-lift. Does that mean to scraplift a page of Alyson's, changing it to make it our own (putting our own spin on it)?

Finally, will the prompts change every month and repeats be moved around the bingo board?

Thank you!

p.s. By way of quick introduction, since I see I have never posted here before today, I don't remember what originally brought me here when I registered in June 2013 but today I came after reading Traci Reed's latest newsletter.
Hi MIchele! Welcome to SSD! So glad you're getting back to digi!

To answer some of your questions...

Spin-a-lift is an old SSD challenge that we've done over the years. Basically, you choose a layout and then flip or rotate it and lift it from there!

Any products from current SSD designers is fine... including freebies, items you've picked up from their personal store, and retired items. As long as it's by a current designer, you're good!

You're also welcome to check out our free sample section and use those things on your layouts. We just put 24 new free items up yesterday, so there are lots of fresh things there to play with, too!

And yes, we'll be putting up a new board each month!

Finally, I'd say that if you wanted to just try the challenges on your own using outside-of-SSD product (just to try out the system and knowing that it wouldn't count for rewards), you're welcome to do that. However, we do not have an "open" gallery, so that means, you have to use some SSD product on your page for it to be posted here.

I hope this info helps a little. If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Old 01-02-2015, 04:19 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Pritchett View Post
. . .

I hope this info helps a little. If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask!
That helped a lot! Thanks for the quick reply. I found the freebies.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Question...

If I do a CT layout for a challenge will that count, or are there no CT layouts allowed?
Old 01-02-2015, 09:37 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

CT layouts have always been fine for challenges We love seeing our creative team members participate in our community projects!
Old 01-02-2015, 09:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

thanks, Robin
Old 01-02-2015, 10:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

If a particular challenge can be done in 1 or 2 pockets of a Project Life layout, is that enough? For example, things like scrapping a top 10 list or scrapping something trivial about yourself could easily be worked into a weekly or monthly layout. Obviously others might not be conducive to just a pocket; using an icy color scheme or no embellishments probably needs to apply to an entire page whether pocket or traditional.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:11 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwany1999 View Post
for the no elements - if you clip a pocket card to a photo does that count as an element?
When we discussed this challenge behind the scenes, the general consensus was that the layouts should avoid anything that could be found in the elements folder in a kit. Since many kits contain pocket cards in the elements folder, I'd skip it just to be on the safe side.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:28 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to JMC1988

What about a paper that has paint splatters already on it? Would this be considered embellishments?

Old 01-04-2015, 01:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i know that the challenges are open to interpretation but I am drawing a blank on "a broken crayon still colors' can you give me ideas of what that might mean?
Old 01-04-2015, 02:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyiadeskins View Post
i know that the challenges are open to interpretation but I am drawing a blank on "a broken crayon still colors' can you give me ideas of what that might mean?
To me it means that things don't have to be perfect to have worth or that you can look for the good in a less-than-ideal situation. I wonder if that fits with the "official" explanation.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

thanks Rachel, that makes sense
Old 01-04-2015, 02:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
To me it means that things don't have to be perfect to have worth or that you can look for the good in a less-than-ideal situation. I wonder if that fits with the "official" explanation.
I was thinking this too. But I think you could also interpret it in a 'fix-it-up' type of way. Like a broken car window that you put duct tape on to get it to the car shop. Or a half dented old farm car that still gets you around. I can think of lots of "I fixed it!" jobs by my kid or DH . Or even an injury like a broken wrist and you still manage to cook dinner! LOL!
Old 01-04-2015, 07:45 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I am already really missing seeing the inspiration for each challenge separately. Would it be possible for each challenge on the bingo card to have a thread for general sharing? For instance, if I wanted to see how people were doing the 'no embellishments' challenge I could just click on that thread for inspiration.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:12 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Need some clarification on the square labeled spin-a-lift? What does this mean?
Old 01-04-2015, 10:39 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Spin-a-lift is an older SSD challenge. What that means is that you choose a layout from Aly's gallery, and then you flip it or rotate it to a different direction before you scraplift it.

Does that make sense?
Old 01-05-2015, 01:00 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitysuet View Post
I am already really missing seeing the inspiration for each challenge separately. Would it be possible for each challenge on the bingo card to have a thread for general sharing? For instance, if I wanted to see how people were doing the 'no embellishments' challenge I could just click on that thread for inspiration.
Be sure to check out our weekly Bingo with the Babes thread to see lots of inspiration!
Old 01-05-2015, 12:13 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Spin-a-lift is an older SSD challenge. What that means is that you choose a layout from Aly's gallery, and then you flip it or rotate it to a different direction before you scraplift it.

Does that make sense?
Thanks it makes sense!
Old 01-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

so sorry... one more question

"use at least 4 3x4 pocket cards on a layout"

does that include ones you journal on, and is it ok if it's in a PL layout?
Old 01-05-2015, 09:15 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyiadeskins View Post
so sorry... one more question

"use at least 4 3x4 pocket cards on a layout"

does that include ones you journal on, and is it ok if it's in a PL layout?
You bet! A pocket page would totally satisfy this challenge and if you arent a pocket scrapper, the challenge is in using at least 4 of them on a layout. Blanks that you journal on would certainly count!
Old 01-05-2015, 09:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

thanks, Robin!
Old 01-05-2015, 10:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
If a particular challenge can be done in 1 or 2 pockets of a Project Life layout, is that enough? For example, things like scrapping a top 10 list or scrapping something trivial about yourself could easily be worked into a weekly or monthly layout. Obviously others might not be conducive to just a pocket; using an icy color scheme or no embellishments probably needs to apply to an entire page whether pocket or traditional.
Bumping this because it hasn't been answered yet. I've posted a couple of challenge pages like this, so I just want to clarify if they meet the challenge while there's still plenty of time to redo them if necessary. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2015, 10:28 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

To answer some of your questions...

Spin-a-lift is an old SSD challenge that we've done over the years. Basically, you choose a layout and then flip or rotate it and lift it from there!

Any products from current SSD designers is fine... including freebies, items you've picked up from their personal store, and retired items. As long as it's by a current designer, you're good!

You're also welcome to check out our free sample section and use those things on your layouts. We just put 24 new free items up yesterday, so there are lots of fresh things there to play with, too!

And yes, we'll be putting up a new board each month!

Finally, I'd say that if you wanted to just try the challenges on your own using outside-of-SSD product (just to try out the system and knowing that it wouldn't count for rewards), you're welcome to do that. However, we do not have an "open" gallery, so that means, you have to use some SSD product on your page for it to be posted here.

Guess what! I just scrolled through my stash to see if I could find Sweet Shoppe kits I already have. I change my folder icons to kit previews so I can easily see what I have, and the Sweet Shoppe packaging is very easy to pick out from my stash too. I found I have several kits from the past few years from designers who are still here! I have last year's birthday collar too!

I also found I have two kits from Kristin Cronin-Barrow and Zoe Pearn that were monthly Premiere kits at DigitalScrapper. Would those count because the designers are here, or no because these two kits were sold elsewhere?

I'm going to get started on the Bingo challenge soon!
Old 01-06-2015, 06:15 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Bumping this because it hasn't been answered yet. I've posted a couple of challenge pages like this, so I just want to clarify if they meet the challenge while there's still plenty of time to redo them if necessary. Thanks!
Hey Rachel,

If you're a pocket scrapper, you are welcome to scrap the challenge pocket style!

Thanks for asking!

R
Old 01-06-2015, 06:16 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelepixels View Post
I also found I have two kits from Kristin Cronin-Barrow and Zoe Pearn that were monthly Premiere kits at DigitalScrapper. Would those count because the designers are here, or no because these two kits were sold elsewhere?
As long as the designers are still here at SSd, using products they created no matter for special features they've done around town is just fine

R
Old 01-08-2015, 05:52 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwany1999 View Post
Script and Sans Serrif fonts...I can't find them in Photopshop. Are they under that name?
You can use any script font you like. Script fonts are anything swooshy and scripty...

Serif and San Serif are accents or the lack of those accents on fonts as seen below...

For this challenge, we want you to combine script with San Serif on your layout like seen below...

The fonts you choose are up to you!
Old 01-09-2015, 05:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

if whe complete a pattern how long do whe have to make use of our coupon i always get paid on the 8th so i hope it is aveilebe untill then lol
Old 01-09-2015, 05:14 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Sweet Rewards coupons are good the second full M-F of each month, so in February, that'll be the 9th - 13th.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

thanx you
Old 01-12-2015, 02:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Question: To earn the 30% discount do we need to specifically make the patterns in the thread or can we make another 9 squares pattern (like a T for example)