Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-27-2014, 08:07 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd
Default Bye Bye Aperture

I just found out that Apple isn't going to be supporting or developing Aperture anymore. I am very very sad about this. I love Aperture and have a very good system for organizing and editing my photos in Aperture. Gah!! I LOVE my keywording system!

I guess the new Photos app that is coming in the fall is supposed to replace both iPhoto and Aperture, but I can't imagine that it's going to offer the professional editing tools that Aperture has.

We're looking in to getting me a standalone version of Lightroom to fill the gap, since we're not ready to move to an Adobe subscription. But, I am very very sad about this.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've never used Aperture, but I'm such a creature of habit, that I know if they changed what I've been using I'd be totally lost and confused and downright pissed. I'm sorry they're forcing you into change! that's never nice in my book!

Old 06-28-2014, 01:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyd View Post
I just found out that Apple isn't going to be supporting or developing Aperture anymore. I am very very sad about this. I love Aperture and have a very good system for organizing and editing my photos in Aperture. Gah!! I LOVE my keywording system!

I guess the new Photos app that is coming in the fall is supposed to replace both iPhoto and Aperture, but I can't imagine that it's going to offer the professional editing tools that Aperture has.

We're looking in to getting me a standalone version of Lightroom to fill the gap, since we're not ready to move to an Adobe subscription. But, I am very very sad about this.
What do you use to scrap? If you use PSE/PS then you can use ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) and Bridge/Organizer to do the organizing part. They can do 99% of what LR can do and if you already own them, then no money spent! If you have questions just ask.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprauncey1 View Post
What do you use to scrap? If you use PSE/PS then you can use ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) and Bridge/Organizer to do the organizing part. They can do 99% of what LR can do and if you already own them, then no money spent! If you have questions just ask.
What Kim said. Lightroom is based on Camera Raw and Bridge, albeit with a different logic and interface.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:24 AM

profile gallery send pm

Yeah. My problem with switching to anything else is my keywording system. I depend on it a lot, and I cannot stand the thought of having to start all over with it. What ever I use HAS to have to ability for me to carry my keywords over. That's why I went with Aperture in the first place. I had been using iPhoto before that, and Aperture was the option that allowed me to just move everything over without having to rekeyword my thousands and thousands of photos.

I'm just going to continue using Aperture and research other options until I find something that will really work for me.

To be honest, with Finder's new tagging system, it might be just as easy to go to a folder system within Finder. I just have to see if the keywords will be in the metadata or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 06-28-2014, 11:04 AM

profile gallery send pm

Yes - I grew to hate iPhoto.

For now, I'm going to focus on finishing the keywords on some big projects that I've had waiting in the wings and getting everything organized, so that when I decide it's time to make a change, everything will be ready.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:30 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Do you keyword only the previews? I only use LR so I am of no help here, but I think the metadata written in to .jpgs are there to stay, whereas if written into .pngs they're volatile and can disappear.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

iPhoto will be replaced too? That's too bad...I understand that they might want to start over from scratch, but for users...switching is always hard (at least for me)
Old 06-28-2014, 11:45 AM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanthia122 View Post
Do you keyword only the previews? I only use LR so I am of no help here, but I think the metadata written in to .jpgs are there to stay, whereas if written into .pngs they're volatile and can disappear.
Haha. I actually don't even know what that means. Aperture uses its own database. I just keyword my photos. Previews? What are those? Lol. I know I can export the database and keep my keywords. I'm just going to have to figure out the details of moving to a new system. And, whatever system I do use will need to support RAW . . . not sure if the new Apple Photos app is going to be able to do that.

I'm not freaking out yet. I'll wait to see what Photos is all about. It's just a pain to have to change, and I really liked Aperture. Ahh well.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm not familiar with Aperture. Is it not a standalone program like photoshop? Can you not just keep using it without updates?
Old 06-28-2014, 06:55 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyd View Post
Haha. I actually don't even know what that means. Aperture uses its own database. I just keyword my photos. Previews? What are those? Lol. I know I can export the database and keep my keywords. I'm just going to have to figure out the details of moving to a new system. And, whatever system I do use will need to support RAW . . . not sure if the new Apple Photos app is going to be able to do that.

I'm not freaking out yet. I'll wait to see what Photos is all about. It's just a pain to have to change, and I really liked Aperture. Ahh well.
Sorry, I thought you were talking about keywording scrapping supplies, so when I said preview I meant the previews of the kits. If you're tagging photos (in .jpg) they should have no problem transferring, I'd imagine. When I import my digital purchases to LR, sometimes the keywords the designers put there are carried over as well. Anyway, good luck! I'd hate to have to make the change too.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:24 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I'm not familiar with Aperture. Is it not a standalone program like photoshop? Can you not just keep using it without updates?
Yes - Aperture is a standalone product. And, I will keep using it for now. But, the fact that they aren't supporting/developing it anymore means that I'm going to have to change somewhere down the road, so I want to make sure that whatever I'm doing now will transfer to what I'm going to do in the future. I'm just a planner like that.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Do you have PS or PSE? Bridge comes with PS (not Elements though) and is great for tagging (stores it in the metadata).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2014, 01:58 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert

I am a Lightroom user, but am planning to switch to Mac before the end of July. The tech I spoke with at the Apple store convinced me that Aperture is great. He prefers it to Lightroom after using Lightroom for a few years. I was looking forward to the change, so that kind of bums me out. Has Apple announced what the new photo editing software will be like. Maybe it will be compatible to your tags and stuff for transferring over.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:56 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopert View Post
I am a Lightroom user, but am planning to switch to Mac before the end of July. The tech I spoke with at the Apple store convinced me that Aperture is great. He prefers it to Lightroom after using Lightroom for a few years. I was looking forward to the change, so that kind of bums me out. Has Apple announced what the new photo editing software will be like. Maybe it will be compatible to your tags and stuff for transferring over.
Yeah - that's what I'm hoping, but the rumors so far haven't been very promising. The new Photos app will come out in the fall with the new OS X Yosemite. They did a little demo of it at WWDC in June, but it wasn't a demo that gave a lot of information about how it would compare to Aperture. They didn't mention keywords at all as far as I can remember. So, I'll be watching closely to see how well it stacks up to Aperture when it's available in the Fall.