Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2014, 03:51 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default Pre-schools

At what age did your children start pre-school?

When Kendra was little (she's 16 now), I didn't have her start preschool til the semester before Kindergarten. So, she was almost 5 when she started the 3 day a week program. She did fine and was still right on target in Kindergarten.

I'm actually considering enrolling Chloe this fall though (she'll be 2 next week, and some of the local preschools will take them at 2 1/2 if they are potty-trained).

My main reason is that she's soaking up information like a sponge and LOVES to learn. She can count to almost 20 now (she leaves out a couple of the teen numbers once in a while), can name all her colors, and is starting to work on ABCs and the sounds letters make. I'm not pushing her at all... she's just picking up on stuff and gets so excited when she figures out new things.

Anyway, I'm wondering if 2 1/2 is too early. Do you think I should wait til the following school year when she'll be 3 1/2?

I'm honestly not sure that I can afford it anyway, so I might be better off financially waiting.

If I DO decide to wait, can you recommend games/sites/apps/activities that I could do with her at home to keep her excited about learning?
Old 02-05-2014, 03:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Personally, I'd look for a mom's day out, couple mornings a week thing so she can be around other kids, do a little learning and crafty stuff and then if you can start her in something more formal at 3.5. I do have a coworker who starts her kids at Jacob's Ladder when they turn 2.5 and she loves it there, if you're interested in exploring options.

I think you're looking to move back home, but if you're still in Wichita when she's 4... I'll give a big plug for Wichita School District's PreKindergarten. It's a very academic focused program and the curriculum moves right into the Kindergarten curriculum. (Totally not biased since my best coworker friends teach it, either...)
Old 02-05-2014, 04:07 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the info, Kim!

I didn't even THINK of a mother's day out program. Do you happen to know of any in Wichita?

Yeah, we're hoping to move back to Arkansas, but we still have 2 houses to sell first. LOL So, we could definitely still be here by the time she's 4! I'll keep that in mind though!

Thanks!!
Old 02-05-2014, 04:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Landon is starting preschool this fall - it's a 2-3's program that meets for 2.5 hrs twice a week. Blake did the program and absolutely loved it. All about structured play. Socializing. Etc. he's excited I'm excited! Lol

Old 02-05-2014, 04:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Libby, the Y has Mom's Day Out programs that start at 2 if your child is potty trained. I've had students who used Valley Center's Mom's Day Out programs but that's probably a little far from you.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:32 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert

My oldest started at 4 and only went for one year, but my second started at 2 1/2. He was a little apprehensive, but I think it was good for him.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

What do you hope she will gain from preschool? I think the answer to that will determine if preschool (and what kind is right for her).
Old 02-05-2014, 04:53 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Well, I'm definitely fond of the social skills aspect of preschool She's practically an only child (her 2 older siblings are teens who don't live here full-time). She does go to church for an hour a week, so she sees other children there. Mostly though, she's just home with mom all day, every day. I work a lot even while she's awake, so she entertains herself a lot (sigh. Mother of the year). She's in the same room with me, but I'm not always actively playing with her.

She is also going through some separation anxiety. She's fine after 5 min or so, but she screams her little head off when we leave her.

Beyond social skills, I'd like for her to just continue to love learning. Even if it's not all "ABCs and 123s," I think just doing crafts and activities with other children her age would be something she'd eat up.

I'm thinking maybe a Mother's Day Out thing might be the way to go for now, and I'll look for some ideas on things I could do at home with her to keep that excitement for learning there.

I'd love for her to be in an actual preschool, but I don't want to rush it and then end up regretting it.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Here in New Zealand we have several options for pre-school.

1. Daycare (from birth to school age. This is the most expensive option. Particularly for under 3s as there's not as much government funding)

2. Playcentre for 0 - 5 yrs. Very cheap at about $20 per term. You stay with your child the entire time, and watch/encourage/join in as they play with all the toys/paints/activities. I did this with my girls for several years and loved it.

3. Kindergarten. 3-5 years. Still pretty cheap, as the Government subsidises a significant amount (each child gets 20 hours free per week. Any extra hours are paid by the parent, which isn't much.) You leave the child with the teachers and pick them up at the end of the session.

Preschool is highly encouraged here. Kids learn through play and social interaction. I say if she's an active kids who likes learning, then definitely look for something that suits the her needs. My girls attended some form of preschool from birth really, though I stayed with them till they were 3.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Jake did a number of YMCA classes... just for the social interaction (only child, if you don't count the husband... haha)... They had one set that was from 11:30-1:15, which was awesome in that I could work out while he was in class. Our Y has so many options... one are just playtime, others are playtime and pool... then there are just art classes, those that are designed for helping them learn to read, etc. I think most of our classes where with parent until age 3, though...
Old 02-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

L.J. started at age 3 in a 1/2 day program 3 days a week just to get some separation from me in a social situation and structured learning. I think it was good for both of us. LOL!

Old 02-05-2014, 07:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest started at 3 and went to pre-school for 2 years before K. I had intended on doing that with the other boys, but it didn't work out like that. DS2 started a year late because I had just had twins and it was just too difficult. (There's a funny story about that as I did have him registered to go and decided the day he was to start to wait an entire year.) The twins started a little late because it was expensive x2. But then I also waited a year to send them to Kindergarten (b-day is 8/28) which is the BEST decision we ever made.

Sounds like mom's day out would be a good thing for both of you, where she just gets to play.

And stop beating yourself up about not entertaining her all the time! You know my feelings on that!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cheyanne started at a preschool when she was 2.5. Like Chloe she only had a much older sibling and was home with me all.the.time! I worked from home and she was just so busy and energetic, etc. She started with just 1 day a week for about 4 hours and then 2 days a week. When she turned 3 she went 3 days a week but full days and then by the time she was 4 she was there 5 days a week for full days. It was the best thing for her - she got to learn and be with kids her own age and allowed me to work while she was gone so I could just be mom when she was home.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:28 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Marie, that sounds like our EXACT situation. Chloe is SO much more curious and energetic than her older sister ever was. She is on the move CONSTANTLY. I don't think a day goes by that I don't comment on how "busy" she is. So, getting her out of the house a bit is probably my main goal; engaging her with activities that will help her learn is an added bonus.

And Mary, I DO know your feelings on that! LOL And I tend to agree with you. I just have a day every now and then where I feel guilty. I always snap out of it though.

Thanks so much everyone! As soon as I can get her potty-trained, we're going to try a MDO program!
Old 02-05-2014, 08:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My kids all started preschool at age 3 and loved it. I think it was usually 2 or 3 days a week for a few hours at a time. Kaylie & Kyle went to our Parents as Teachers preschool and Kelsie went to our parish preschool (with my niece that I babysat at the time otherwise she would have went to PAT too). Then at age 4 they all moved over to the ECC for pre-K at our elementary school. It was always nice having a few hours to myself while they were gone!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

where I live, they don't have preschool before kindergarten unless they're special needs or you pay for it. both my boys were in preschool at 4 when we lived in georgia but my 4 year old doesn't qualify for free preschool here in washington, despite having Asperger's, because he's "not severe enough". It's actually what pushed me to homeschool. I was teetering on the edge for quite some time and that's what pushed me over because I knew Jamesen would just be gutted if not allowed to go to school but Marcus was. it was the best decision i ever made! I have Gemma help with some things at home so I guess she's preschooled now

Last edited by adi&co.; 02-06-2014 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My kids all started at 2.5 for 2 mornings a week. (Two of them were fall birthdays, so they turned 3 within a few months of starting.) I don't think it's too young at all, as long as you like the program and the staff are warm and nurturing. With my younger 2 we did a Mom and Me program through the preschool the year before they went on their own, so they were already familiar with the school routine before they started.

As for Mom's Day Out vs preschool, I think it depends on part on Chloe's personality. For kids who separate easily, that 1 day a week program can be great. For kids who don't, once a week can be harder on them than a more frequent program because they're there too infrequently to really get comfortable and learn to enjoy school.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

Luke started preschool when he was two. That's when his daycare started doing academic stuff. He had been doing full time daycare since he was ten weeks old tho. So he was used to it.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

We preschooled at home.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:34 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert

I did a moms morning out every now and then with my oldest. That is a great option. Around here most Methodist churches offer them.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:54 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Aaron ~ was a daycare/preschool baby from 6 months on because I lived 6 hours from "home" while attending college

Jason ~ went to a preschool program at our local high school (child development class) at the ages 3.5 and 4.5 (only spring semesters, two days a week)

Seth ~ went to the preschool program at the high school at 3.5 and 4.5 (spring semester, two days a week) and then to a "regular" preschool at the age of 5 (3 days a week) b/c we decided to NOT send him to kindergarten (he was right on the cutoff day)

Derek ~ is 3 and will start the preschool program at the high school next week (spring semester, 2 days a week). We MIGHT send to a regular preschool in the fall two days a week (he will be 4 shortly after he starts). Otherwise he will do another year of the high school program next spring and since he misses the cutoff he will go to a regular preschool his 3rd year (3 days a week)
Old 02-06-2014, 11:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I sent my oldest to preschool at 3, 3 half days a week, mostly so I could get half a break, I still had his brother. The school then began a 2 year old program for 2 half days but I didn't send my youngest to it.

My youngest did preschool 5 half days a week, starting at 3.5 because he qualified for speech intervention (briefly, they stopped after 9 weeks which I disagreed with, but he kept his spot in the class).

Honestly, I don't think my oldest gained a thing from it from a learning standpoint. Sure he got to socialize a bit more but he did that anyway 4 days a week at the gym playcare. He was curious and very bright and could read on his own at 3 but he could more or less do that anyway. My oldest liked being in a classroom setting. He likes the structure of it. But as far as actually learning anything.... not so much.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had to work so our options were not many - we had to send girls to daycare and the preschool when they were young - Amy at 2 and Hayley sadly at 6 months. Both girls go to private schools and the nuns are very adamant that a child cannot go to kindergarten until they are 5 in July. Our state has other rules but they feel socially a child is not ready even if you argue that they know this or that and are ready to learn.

I think you should do what you feel is best for your child - in the end you will have a lot of "should I" questions as she grows up and you will find how very different they all are compared to what you went through with your oldest dd.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Both of my girls were three (Elyse had just turned 3).
Old 02-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our preschools don't start until age 3 at the private, church ran preschools or age 4 for the preschool ran by our school district.

Caitrin started at barely 3. She went 3 days a week for two years. Declan was 3 1/2 by the time he started (fall birthday) and he also went two years of 3 days a week.

My kids were (ARE) both sponges and I worked with them at home from the time they showed an interest. I still work with them at home on projects outside of school and they are 8 and 11. Preschool for us was mostly social and to get them used to the routines and expectations of school. They didn't need it for the academics and, honestly, they didn't get anything from preschool academically. I was their main teacher for all of that until they hit kindergarten.