Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2014, 03:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Project Life App

I hope this is ok to talk about here. If not, someone let me know and we can delete this thread.

So...has anyone used the new Project Life App? More info here.

Will there be a way to use SSD products with the app? From what I have read so far it seems like we might be able to upload let's say for example, a 3x4 card from SSD as a photo into the app?

Thoughts?
Old 09-18-2014, 05:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I am enjoying playing around with the app. I have been testing my products to see how I can use them in the app too.

Right now I have been saving things like papers and cards to my photos and then pulling them in there. I also use Dropbox and it is allowing me to pull stuff from there too.

This is a quick something I did testing it out with a peek at a new kit coming this week from me and Ru!

I haven't been able to test actually printing it yet. So I am not sure how good it looks doing it like that print wise at the moment.

I am excited about the possibilities though.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Bonneville View Post
I am enjoying playing around with the app. I have been testing my products to see how I can use them in the app too.

Right now I have been saving things like papers and cards to my photos and then pulling them in there. I also use Dropbox and it is allowing me to pull stuff from there too.

This is a quick something I did testing it out with a peek at a new kit coming this week from me and Ru!

I haven't been able to test actually printing it yet. So I am not sure how good it looks doing it like that print wise at the moment.

I am excited about the possibilities though.
Wow. What you've done sure looks good. Thanks for sharing. I'm excited too!
Old 09-18-2014, 06:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

aww thanks! I am happy to share! Have fun with the app!
Old 09-18-2014, 08:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It looks pretty neat! I created a photostream in iCloud for some of my digi cards and the app lets me select those cards to add as a photo. I see you can also use Dropbox to do the same thing.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It looks neat but I didn't buy it yet! Waiting for feedback!!
Old 09-18-2014, 09:50 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

The prob with the app is it exports at 230 dpi
Old 09-18-2014, 10:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci Reed View Post
Thank you for this info before I spend hours creating pages I can't really print.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I was curious how it printed. I seen Persnickety share two layouts created in the app and printed on Facebook.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:01 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

Tiffany Tillman printed a 12 x12 at home and said they weren't crisp and that's why she went back and checked the resolution
Old 09-18-2014, 11:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Tiffany Tillman printed a 12 x12 at home and said they weren't crisp and that's why she went back and checked the resolution
Good to know!
Old 09-19-2014, 12:48 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I can see how this would be really awesome for non-scrapbookers, but I don't see why someone who uses PS or another photo editing program already would want to trade her computer screen for a tiny iphone screen, or even an iPad screen, for that matter.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:45 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
I can see how this would be really awesome for non-scrapbookers, but I don't see why someone who uses PS or another photo editing program already would want to trade her computer screen for a tiny iphone screen, or even an iPad screen, for that matter.
What you said exactly, Kellie! I have been contemplating a lot about trying it!
Old 09-19-2014, 06:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
I'm thinking about using it for a photo book of my kids' artwork -- so that I can snap a picture, throw it on a template and then toss the artwork. (I'm INUNDATED with art during the school year.) That's something that I want pretty simple, without any embellishments anyway so the app would work for that.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:06 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
I'm thinking about using it for a photo book of my kids' artwork -- so that I can snap a picture, throw it on a template and then toss the artwork. (I'm INUNDATED with art during the school year.) That's something that I want pretty simple, without any embellishments anyway so the app would work for that.
I think that's an awesome idea! I agree overall it wouldn't replace digi scrapping but I can see it being helpful for other uses possibly.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
Fabulous idea!

I cannot imagine giving up the control I have in photoshop to an app... I mean, I have a world of fonts and shadows and all my pretty cards on my computer.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i don't see it affecting the "hard core" scrappers but i think it'll help everyone scrapbook. i have a friend who only uses her phone & has never grasped PS. this app will be perfect for her. where i can see me making up journal cards & then bringing them into PS...possibly. i just need to catch up my PL pages
Old 09-19-2014, 05:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have an Android, so I can't try it yet. I don't see it ever replacing PS for me, but it would be nice to be able to work on a page while I'm waiting at my kids' sports practices, in school pickup lines, etc. Maybe the resolution will be worked out in a future update.

As for shadows, in theory if you buy the identical BH template for PS you could use it as a mask to create layers and shadow after saving the app's page as a jpg. The question would be if they line up exactly after adjusting for resolution.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Persnickety wrote up a piece about the print quality and resolution on their blog...

http://blog.persnicketyprints.com/project-life-ios-app/
Old 09-19-2014, 06:44 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

Nope, not buying it.

"We know we've been telling you that your stuff has to be 300 dpi all these years, but it's ok! We promise these don't look bad"

800 px is a THIRTY PERCENT size difference. Meaning you're enlarging your 12x12 print 30%. Tell me there's no quality loss there.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Nope, not buying it.

"We know we've been telling you that your stuff has to be 300 dpi all these years, but it's ok! We promise these don't look bad"

800 px is a THIRTY PERCENT size difference. Meaning you're enlarging your 12x12 print 30%. Tell me there's no quality loss there.
It's definitely interesting how it's being said. You can't really tell the actual quality from their blog post either. It's not that up close and personal.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm so glad ya'll had this discussion.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:16 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I think we won't know until we print through PP. Printing at home is not exactly the same as printing through a photo lab. When I print my photo books through printers back home (who don't specifically cater to the scrapbooking group), they usually ask for my images to be only 200 dpi, though of course mine are always 300 dpi. Here's a little info I found online:

"A measurement of printer resolution that defines how many dots of ink are placed on the page when the image is printed. Today's photo-quality ink jet printers have dpi resolution in the thousands (1200 to 4800 dpi) and will give you acceptable quality photo prints of images with 140-200 ppi resolution, and high quality prints of images with 200-300 ppi resolution."

So it sounds like 230 dpi *might* be good enough to print. I don't know, and I don't have an iPhone to test it with. :P

Old 09-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I shrink everything down to 8x8 from 12x12 anyway so I imagine that will work out... won't know 'till I try though.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i read in a PL group that someone had gone into PP and looked at the quality. she said they were great. i still have yet to get it.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So you create a whole layout with the app? It's not just for printing your cards?
Old 09-19-2014, 07:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think this is a great discussion! Thanks for all the input. Definitely seems like something to test. Nice to hear someone seen the prints up close.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NellahBean View Post
So you create a whole layout with the app? It's not just for printing your cards?
Yep. You create a layout. I seen earlier Becky posted a video someone created showing the app so you can see how it looks, works etc.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:41 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

If you read the comments in the PP blog post, it's mentioned that the photos they used were taken with a DSLR instead of with the phone. That may make a difference as well.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think I'm going to try the app and get a page printed professionally and then decide how much I will use it. If the print doesn't look good to me then it won't really be worth it.

I think it will work for me because I've always been a "simple scrapper", so I don't think the limits will bother me too much but I can understand how some scrappers would rather just stick with all of the options of PS or PSE. I'm just hoping I can use SSD product.

I've also kind of lost my scrapping mojo the last two years so I'm hoping the convenience of having this app on my ipad might encourage me to get scrapping again. Having the app on my ipad will also allow me to scrap when I'm away from my computer. There are many times that I'm waiting or away from home when this might be nice to have this option.

This has really been a good discussion and I appreciate everyone's input.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:16 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Nope, not buying it.

I don't know what percentage it works out to being but I scrap 8x8 and have printed layouts occasionally as 12x12 through PP and you can't tell a difference in the quality at all. So I can see how with the app they might print fine since an 8x8 is 2400x2400 pixels and the app resolution is higher than that.

Last edited by Nettio; 09-20-2014 at 01:18 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:38 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert

I have been waiting for it and am really excited to finally have it. For the past few years, I have been such a terrible scrapper, maybe doing 5-10 pages a year . And I take so many pictures on my iPhone, that get thrown into a file with more pictures than I will ever get a chance to go through. So I am happy to be able to quickly scrap them on my phone when I have dead time to play. Rather than being on Facebook or playing games, I will definitely use phone time to scrap. And the fact that I have been able to use Sweet Shoppe products on pages through dropbox, makes it even better. I will probably have a few pages printed in 12x12 before I make a full book to see the quality. If it's not perfect or good enough, I'll just print in 8x8 books. I am just so thrilled to have something that I will actually do and finish to get in books for my family.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
I don't know what percentage it works out to being but I scrap 8x8 and have printed layouts occasionally as 12x12 through PP and you can't tell a difference in the quality at all. So I can see how with the app they might print fine since an 8x8 is 2400x2400 pixels and the app resolution is higher than that.
I've occasionally enlarged pictures that worked out to 200 ppi or just a little higher. If the photo was crisp to begin with it looked fine. I wonder if photos that were a little blurry or less crisp to begin with still look good or if that imperfection is emphasized when you print at lower resolution.

Even with 300 ppi images, I notice a huge difference between photo printers. I recently had a few 8x10's printed at Shutterfly, and I was disappointed in one of them. I sent the same file to Persnickety and the print was so much clearer. (Probably should get the others redone, too.) So maybe PP does a good enough job with the 230 ppi files that they still look good. Don't think I'd do it for my best photos or pages I spent a long time on, but maybe it would be good enough for getting some everyday photos scrapped quickly.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I bought it but I haven't even downloaded it yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk