Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Anyone had their tonsils out...

as an adult? I hear it's horrifying pain. I'm having mine removed next Thursday and I'm not looking forward to it at all. It's a 2-week recovery and the surgeon told me it's a piece of cake for kids, but it's a really painful and long recovery for adults. Pain doesn't bother me (I've had 2 c-sections with complications), but this is bothering me. Anyone have any experiences to relate, especially positive ones?
Old 07-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Oh, sorry, Rochelle.

My GP won't remove tonsils in adults unless it's hugely necessary. I went through a bout of having tonsilitis about every six weeks for a good long while and he said it just wasn't enough to do it. I've since not had anything (in a couple of years), but I've heard those stories, too.

I pray you fast recovery...and see if your GP will prescribe something called Magic Mouth Wash. It's something our DO just prescribed for DH with their sickness this weekend. It's like Chloroseptic on overdrive. It's a rinse that you gargle with that numbs your throat for pain..and it was fantastic. It numbed DH's whole mouth, but he said it relieved the pain much better than something like Chloroseptic was doing. See if you can get it to help with the after care.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh sweetie.....you'll get through it. I had mine out when I was 21. It was, um, difficult to say the least. I won't get into details, but know you *will* be fine, it just takes some time.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I had mine out at 20, and it was fine. I ate popsicles and soup for a few days, and then I was back to normal. I then again I also was up walking and bouncing my newborns in the hospital the day after they were born after both of my C sections, so I must have a decent pain tolerance.

The biggest pain, I would think, would be keeping the house running nicely from your bed. Good luck!
Old 07-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My husband had them taken out a couple years ago (at 29) and he was not a happy camper during recovery. His notes and advice: you will not get any sleep the first night (he felt like he was going to choke on his tongue whenever he felt like he was falling asleep), you will not be able to go back to work for at least a week, you will most likely not be able to eat solid food for 2 weeks, and get your prescriptions filled right after the appointment (you will need the pain liquid medicine). The positives - since he's had the surgery he no longer has tonsillitis, strep, or ear infections and has only had one sinus infection. He used to get each of those several times a year. Also, take advantage of being able to have melted milkshakes and any help around the housae.
He is not sorry he had the surgery one bit.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Fan of ALL the designers at:
Old 07-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

My DH had his removed about a year ago (at age 31) after having strep throat continuously for 8 months and it was definately not a pleasant experience, but it was well worth it in his opinion as he has not been sick since. He was content to take his pain meds and stay in a sleep induced state of unconsciousness. It was helpful for him that I stayed on top of his meds to make sure there was no lapse between doses.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
and see if your GP will prescribe something called Magic Mouth Wash. It's something our DO just prescribed for DH with their sickness this weekend. It's like Chloroseptic on overdrive. It's a rinse that you gargle with that numbs your throat for pain..and it was fantastic. It numbed DH's whole mouth, but he said it relieved the pain much better than something like Chloroseptic was doing. See if you can get it to help with the after care.
My son had that too when he has his tonsils out (he was 7). It has Lidocaine in it which numbs, I think his had benadryl, mylanta, and something else a steroid for swelling (decadron I think....)That was a wonder mixture I tell ya! Definitely ask for it.

Good luck!! Hope you get some good pain pills

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 07-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'm hoping I get that liquid stuff, since it sounds like a necessity. My surgeon (he's fantastic!) said they would make sure that they would give me as much as they could to make me comfortable, so we'll see.

Thanks for posting your hubby's experience, Leslie! I've dealt with nearly constant tonsil stones, strep, sinus infections and colds for the past couple of years, so it's nice to hear it really helped your husband. I'm hoping for the same experience!

I'm also breastfeeding right now, so I'm nervous about how long I'll have to take all these meds. I'm obviously going to have to bottle feed using the freezer stash during this time. What a pain.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

My husband did at 18 and he was in major pain. Just take some good pain medicine.

Happily Creating for: Penny Springmann, Fee Jardine, Rachel Young, Karah Fredricks and Kaye Winiecki

Old 07-08-2008, 11:55 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

oh oh oh (shuddering) painful investment - definitely think LT view like Leslie's (Hook'Em) DH! Really hope it works for you, too!

How old is your breastfeeder? If >2 months, you may be able to breastfeed after you go off the super strong stuff? You may get conflicting advice on when to resume -- encourage you to double check with a dr you trust who supports breastfeeding, and there is this site if you are brave and patient: LactMed