Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Advice on owie please...........

Okay, so about 3 days ago, Ashley had a really bad fall at the park and and hit her head. We had to call an ambulance and she was taken to the hospital...had to get a bunch of stitches and is pretty bruised up. To make matters worse my husband is in Germany on business (has been gone a week) and won't be back until next Wednesday, so I was on my own and it's been a STRESSFUL week to say the least. I think it was one of the worst days of my life
Anyways, everything seems to be healing up okay so far but I am little concerned about her eye. I hope it doesn't bother anyone that I post this picture but I need to show what I am talking about. You see the corner in the white of her eye, where it is all red? Is that something I should be concerned about? I know it is from being banged, but it's not improving, I was hoping it would be better today but it may be a LITTLE bit bigger, almost up to her iris.

She's not complaining that her eye hurts.....mostly just complaining that things itch from healing.
Do you think I should take her to the dr and get it checked? I really don't want to take her in if it is just normal for a injury like this, but I don't want to ignore it if something could be wrong....and of course I will have to go to a walk in clinic and wait god knows how long until we can be seen (no one to look after Curtis either).
What would you do?

Oh and if you could spare some positive thoughts on the healing process, it would be so appreciated. She's already scared about everyone seeing her on the first day of school

Last edited by cindys732003; 09-04-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

OMGosh that poor baby!!!!!!!!!!! I have no advice, Cindy, I'm sorry. I think it's normal, but I would say if it gets bigger, to have her seen. Poor thing!! Poor mama too!!! Hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Awww, poor sweetie. She got real banged up. I've had the blood in the eye thing before and it took a long time for it to disappear - it was from one of two eye surgeries I had when I was a child. I think the doc told me that your body reabsorbs it or something, so it takes a while. If you notice it continuing to get bigger tomorrow, it might be worth a check.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh my!! I'll definitely say some prayers for quick healing. The poor dear!

As for the blood on the eye--it is actually normal for eye trauma. My cousin was hit by a car many years ago. A rock flew up and hit his eye and the entire 'white' of the eye was red like that for months. It was a bit freaky to look at, but the doctors assured my aunt that it was normal and would go away. It did. The only lasting effect of the rock hitting his eye is that it paralyzed the pupil. His right pupil is always wide open, the other works normally.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh Cindy...poor baby!! I want to hug both of you, how scary. I'm glad she's healing up. I'd think it just may be early for the eye but I'd watch it closely, maybe take pictures so you can really see if it's changing or not. If you don't see any improvement in another day or two I'd have it checked out.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Awwww, poor little girl! No big advice Cindy, but I'll definitely keep you all in my thoughts and prayers... hope it continues to heal quickly!
Old 09-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Oh man Cindy, your poor dd! That must've been SO scary! No advise just lots of hugs and positive thoughts!
Old 09-04-2009, 11:35 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

poor lil girl :[ I'm glad she's healing up.. that looks so painful :[

I googled and what I found said (the piccie looked like her eye):

Quote:
A subconjunctival hemorrhage is blood from a burst blood vessel over the surface of the eyeball. Not inside the eyeball itself -- between the tough white globe and the soft clear membrane that covers the globe. It has a frightening appearance, but isn't serious. It takes a couple of weeks to go away.
Quote:
See the doctor immediately if:
- there's deep pain
- there's any decrease in the sharpness of your vision
- there's double vision
- there's bleeding from the eye
- you see any change in the appearance of the colored part of the eye:
change in shape of pupil
different size pupil compared to other eye
pink color in the fluid
a dark object floating in the front of the eye
Quote:
Ongoing care:
Expect the patch of blood to spread out over the next two days. It may cover a large part of the eyeball. The blood will slowly be absorbed by your body. Expect about two weeks. Avoid any activity that will irritate or bump your eye.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh cindy. poor baby. i did not imagine it this bad my dear. Keep documenting it. I have no clue as to how long it will last, but if it keeps getting bigger, I'd go in.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Poor thing! How scary for all of you. I am glad she seems to be on the mend. Does your Dr. have a question/nurse line you can call about her eye before you take her in? Both my Dr. and Insurance company have one that we are free to call with questions.

Kristy
Old 09-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh goodness!!! big hugs to you both!

and just wanted to say ditto on what everyone else said... just keep an eye on it!

oxoxox

(aka L. Reid)

Old 09-04-2009, 12:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

bless her heart.

I don't have any advice, but sending lots quick healing vibes.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

aww, poor baby! that's one of my fears; the kids falling at the park. they are like monkeys and have no fear. i hope it gets better soon. as for the red in the eye it's probably normal but if it gets worse i would take her in.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ouch! poor thing!

The blood in the eyes happens all the time when babies birth because of the trauma of passing through the birth canal (I'm a doula). It is just a tiny blood vessel that bursts, but it takes a couple of weeks to go away. It should be the same way with any other trauma, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

Sending good vibes!
Old 09-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I haven't read ev1's replies but it looks like a busted blood vessel to me..I get them all the time. They heal on their own they are just annoying (sometimes can see streaks across the eye, etc)

I say as long as her wound is healing that she'll be fine and you are safe to wait until her follow up (next week?)

((Hugs))

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 09-04-2009, 01:09 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

oh Cindy When you told us about it I just hadn't pictured how bad it was. Your poor sweetie (hugs) When does school start? I'll be hoping the bruising goes away fast for her!
Old 09-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to juliemarie

How scary!! poor girl, I hope she heals quickly. If it were me, I'd call our Dr's office and ask, they are usually pretty good answering questions on the phone.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh no! I feel so bad for the both of you! Poor little girl!!! I hope she feels better asap!

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 09-04-2009, 02:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh Cindy! So sorry again! Lots of hugs and thoughts for you and your sweetie. Sorry you have had to do this on your own. That is probably one of the worst parts! I hope healing is quick and all goes well. ♥♥♥
Old 09-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh wow, honestly I was so relieved it wasn't her eye - the wound is very.close to it! Ditto what Meghan said, it's a busted blood vessel and it heals on its own. Hugs to your pretty girl CIndy!
Old 09-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh Cindy, I'm so sorry she's going through this! Poor little thing! No advice, just lots of hugs for her!
Old 09-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I think its normal (of course not a doctor or nurse) but my reasoning for this is when you get a bruise (which is basically just bleeding under the skin right??) it will sometimes grow and the edges seep out a little? I would think this is kinda like a bruise in theory and the blood would look different if it was under normal skin. I of course could be completely wrong but that is what I would think. I do remember when my husband had an accident at work and got hit by a bumper he was pulling off (bolt snapped it was under so much pressure and my husband was leaning over in front of the bumper when it happened and it hit him right in the eye) well his whole eye area turned black overnight and he had redness in his eye just like that. Took a long time to go away

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 09-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh my gosh, poor little kid!
What a strange feeling: I always see your beautiful child on your pages, Cindy, and now this pic. It made my heart twitch in pain. Hope she gets well soon!
Many years ago, when my sister was a child, she had a injury just like that in a traffic accident. The white of her eyes turned ALL red.
In fact the "red" took all the white of her eyes before healing - more and more 'dark' as time went by... Doc prescribed an eye drops for her.
I think this is just part of healing thing.

xoxo
Old 09-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh my goodness - you're poor little sweetheart!! What a trooper she is - that must hurt! No advice, just big hugs for you both!

Huge fan of:

Old 09-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for all the advice and positive thoughts girls...I feel a little more at ease now.....La, thanks for googling....I suppose I could have tried that too, but honestly I hate looking up anything medical on the internet, I end up getting more freaked out with what I find.
I'm just hoping that things heal up well, and I know it could have been so much worse if she had got a concussion or if it had been closer to her eye, so all in all I think we were fairly lucky.......
Old 09-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Ouch! SO sorry you've had to deal with that all by yourself!
Old 09-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My goodness, that poor thing! And to have it right before school starts. She must be so nervous. Hugs to you both!
Old 09-05-2009, 12:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to tracey

Aww hugs to you and her Cindy!! I hope she heals quick!!
Old 09-05-2009, 01:00 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Awww Cindy, hugs to you both. The poor thing!
Old 09-05-2009, 02:01 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Poor baby! I just wanted to add my reassurance that it will most likely heal on its own. When I gave birth to my older daughter, I had a couple of small blood vessels in my eyes pop. It took two weeks for the smaller one to go away and about six weeks for the larger one. But I am a slow healer! My husband got food poisoning last year and burst a couple of blood vessels in and around his eyes. They were fine within a week. I hope she heals quickly and I would definitely just pay attention to her vision and balance. Balance because if there is something wrong with her vision, it could cause her depth perception to be off a bit.