Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Mac Virgin Needs Info!

My PC is on its last leg and I'm sick and tired of dealing with PC operating system issues, Microsoft, viruses, and all that crap. So, I'm getting a Mac! I know almost nothing about them, other than the fact that the $2500 17" Macbook Pro is very pretty.

So, Mac people, what do I need to know? What do you recommend? I'd prefer a laptop, but I'm open to a desktop also.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hmm, well, I have an iBook and an iMac right now. I loove the convenience of a laptop and the Macbook Pro is calling my name. BUT, I have to say, the 27" iMac is soooo nice. I am using my brothers 21" right now and that is sweet but was drooling over the new 27" at the store. I guess it depends on how portable you need to be.

I found the switch to Macs super easy. Some people have a harder time adjusting though. For me it was easy and I have no complaints about making the switch. There are great forums out there to help and I think Apple has a section on their site to help those switching over from PC's.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I *just* got the 27" iMac... and oh my word, it is GORGEOUS!!! I found that I really didn't need a laptop anymore and I wanted the stability of a desktop computer.

I've had this Mac for a few days and I think the switch has been super easy! I've been able to google a few things real quick (like how to take a screenshot) and found the answers to my questions easily. I was expecting a much harder transition, but it's been great! And this thing is screamin' fast!!!

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 02-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I will definitely check out Apple's section for PC users. So far I've only been looking at the store (so much eye candy in there!!).

So, another question, and pardon my ignorance...were your EHDs compatible with your Mac? Was it easy to get all of your files transferred from your PC to your Mac?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have a Macbook Pro and I love it. But, I also have the 24" iMac and I equally love it! =)

I had no problems getting either of my EHDs to work with my Mac. I didn't have to worry about transferring my files from PC to Mac because I had them all on my EHD. But, my DH used the firewire to transfer some of his files onto his iMac (we both have one) and he had no problems.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I have the 27" iMac, and I am completely in love with it. The monitor is GORGEOUS - and scrapping on it is so much fun!

I really miss my laptop though, so I'm eyeing a MacBook Pro. However, money would have to start falling from the sky to have that happen, so I'm sure it's just a dream right now.

I thought the transition from PC to Mac would be much more difficult, but it was super easy.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Just got my 27" iMac about a month ago and good heavens i'm in love! the transition really hasn't been too rough. however, i am now super frustrated with my work PC. LOL why can't it have the magic mouse too?

Sign up for the One to One. Great workshops and personalized appts to help you learn your new Mac.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:28 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

we have a macbook pro, powerbook g4, and a imac. We use the imac for photos, (over 7000 in there now), videos, editing programs, and basically anything "big" we want to do.

We also have appletv, 2 iphones, and an apple router. Can you tell we're hooked?

www.apple.com has great tutorials/videos to help you with the basics. (although w/ a mac you'll learn so quickly on your own). Very user friendly!

We will never go back to having a PC. EVER!

Let me know if you have questions!

Old 02-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

we have an older imac and two new macbook pros ... two iphones, appletv and time capsule .... looooove mac! LOL! some people do have frustrations switching over ... for me it wasn't a problem b/c i was sooooo excited now i hate using PCs

i would LOVE a new 27 inch imac ... drool!!

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 02-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

I love my MacBook but I am out of space on it!
Old 02-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

even though i don't need a new laptop (knock on wood) when the time comes i think i'm going to switch...we were in the apple store a few weeks ago and i was drooling...i had to pry my son away from the store
Old 02-25-2010, 05:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm another Mac lover and would definitely recommend them... Everything is just so much EASIER on a Mac, plus they are just nice to look at - LOL! Even my hubby, who is computer-o-phobic could get on the Mac and do things he never would have had the confidence to on my old PC. Much more user friendly!

The only things I found took getting used to were some of the controls (but you can change the functions of all your keys to be what they used to be on your PC if that makes sense, like CTRL, ALT, etc), and the fact that all the close button doodads are on the left of the screens instead of the right. Everything else was a breeze to get used to.

Good luck with it! You'll be a convert as soon as you bring it home!

ETA: Oh yeah, my EHD's work fine on mine too. If you get a blank EHD, or one with enough space to cover the memory your Mac has, you can use the inbuilt Time Machine program and it automatically backs EVERYTHING up for you in the background - you don't have to do anything But I wouldn't rely on that alone - I have that & EHD's running on mine. HTH!

Last edited by Zoe Pearn; 02-25-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:34 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I have a 15" MacBook Pro and I LOVE IT!!!! I have a Lacie EHD that I use for backup through Time Machine. Time Machine is awesome!!!!

You will love your Mac - for sure!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is all great info! Thanks so much! As soon as my tax refund arrives, I'm buying one for sure!