Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default NOOOOOOO - ACDSee Related

Aaaaaaaaaaaargghhhhhhh!!!

I am so sad/upset right now!!! Whenever I buy template packs, or download freebies, I keep the TIFF's, and delete the PSD's because the files are smaller. I tag them in ACDSee, as I do everything.

Imagine my shock and horror to find that EVERY TIFF FILE I OWN is now a flattened layer. All of Cindy's. All of Janets. All of Lynettes. All the Cookies I've collected. Any from the designers blogs. HUNDREDS.

I just discovered the culprit. Embedding the files after tagging in ACDSee. Doing that action will flatten TIFF files.

There goes a couple hundred dollars in files. And now I have virtually no templates, which I depend on to scrap. I could just burst into tears.

Huge fan of:

Old 04-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh No!!! I would cry as well!! I can't believe it overwrote the original files! :-(

Old 04-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I would be in tears too!!! I tag in ACDSee too.. what do you mean about embedding the fileS? I better watch out on that.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's something you have to choose to do. It will embed tag information into the file itself, so if something happens to your version of ACDSee, you won't lose your tagging system. I've started doing it because my DH always forgets to back up my files when he fiddles with the computer. I've had to re-tag everything multiple times. Finally, we discovered embedding, and I've been happily doing it for about a year. Now to find that it's ruined half my stuff. NOT IMPRESSED.

Huge fan of:

Old 04-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

And it just gets worse. Any build-your-own anything (alphas, word art, clipping masks) - all gone. Ahhhhhhh!!!!!

Huge fan of:

Old 04-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

What?! That's insane! I save my layered photos as TIF files - it should NOT be flattening any of those files without at least warning you that would happen before it does it. Unfortunately I did a quick search and it appears you're not the first person or even the first digi scrapper to run into that. That's ridiculous. I'd be sending a less than nice note of to their customer service people, that's for sure.

How long ago did you start embedding the tagging? Do you have backups of those files anywhere?

You also might want to contact Robin - I think she'll reset links up to 90 days old. And if you purchased anything through my personal store, let me know and I can help you out with those.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Lynette - I do believe I will be writing a strongly worded letter to the nice people at ACDSee. There was NO warning, nothing.

Some might even remember me posting a few months ago that all my Cindy files were flat, and nobody could figure out why. I had Robin reset them all (after I found everything in my orders - UGH), and re-downloaded everything of hers that I could. Most have been retired because it's been so long since I scrapped. Everything I re-downloaded is wrecked AGAIN. And a lot of them were freebies that were free for limited times (like the Birthday gifts), so I don't even have reciepts for them to get them back.

Huge fan of:

Old 04-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh no!!!! I just recently discovered this feature in ACDSee. I have done it once succesfully (although in the end it said it didn't work for a lot of files) and the two next times the program froze in the midst of embedding, so it didn't go through. I just checked a couple of my templates, but they're still layered. I hope there aren't any flattened ones! I'm going to check some more tonight!

I would be devastated as well. This is just insane that it does that!!
Old 04-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh no!!! I can't even begin to imagine what you are feeling right now!!

I gave up on ACDSee when I kept getting multiple/triple previews of everything and couldn't figure out why.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Oh, that's just terrible!!!

I would be in tears. I use ACDSEE, but haven't tagged templates or embedded, but I wouldn't have known not to. I'm so sorry!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

What version are you using Jae!?!?! I just switched from 10 to 14 (because of a Windows up grade) and I embedded all my scrapbooking files to switch them over and none of my TIFF files got ruined. I did it this route (in case I did it different):

Tool ---> Embed ACDSee Metadata ----> In All Files

Edited to add that I embedded them in 10 to move to 14.

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Last edited by mummytothree; 04-10-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm using ACDSee 12 right now. I did the same steps as you. Maybe they have it fixed for the new versions?

Huge fan of:

Old 04-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjade View Post
I'm using ACDSee 12 right now. I did the same steps as you. Maybe they have it fixed for the new versions?
Hmm...I don't know since I did it in 10 but I'd be heart broken if this happened so I'm just not gonna do it in 14!!! Ack...I'm so sorry this happened to you Jae!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh no, that's terrible! The program should have given you a warning or saved it as a copy, or something. I remember you posting about your Cindy files. If you still have your emails with download links, it's worth trying some of them. I realized I was missing the alpha download for a kit months after I bought it, and I was able to redownload it through the email link without getting anything reset.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ack. that is awful. i stopped using acdsee i just couldn't keep up.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I checked about 50% of my templates and they're all still layered... I wonder what we did different? I'm using 12 as well. Maybe my templates were the failed ones when I ran it... I'm glad I decided to just stick with lots of backupping but man, I feel so sorry for you!! I hope you can recover some of your sets!
Old 04-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckles View Post
I checked about 50% of my templates and they're all still layered... I wonder what we did different? I'm using 12 as well. Maybe my templates were the failed ones when I ran it... I'm glad I decided to just stick with lots of backupping but man, I feel so sorry for you!! I hope you can recover some of your sets!
What steps do you take exactly? I go to Tools --> Embed Database Information --> In All Files. I get a pop-up asking if I want to embed information, but nowhere on it does it say it will flatten any layered files.

PSD's never flatten, just my TIFF files.

Huge fan of:

Old 04-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think I did it like that as well. Or maybe I selected just my scrapbook folder, not sure anymore... But my templates are also tiffs and they are in my scrapbook folder, so either way, it didn't flatten them.
Is there a way I can see if my templates have the ACDSee info embedded? Then I could check if it worked, because like I said, in the end I got the message that a couple of 100 files failed. (don't know why!)
Old 04-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

If you have any of mine, just PM the ones and I'll get you the download files if I still have them.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would cry my eyes out like a baby for a very long time! I'm so sorry this happened to you. Love all the designers willing to help you! This place rocks!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
If you have any of mine, just PM the ones and I'll get you the download files if I still have them.
Thank you Darcy! I will PM you right away. I think only 1 file was wrecked out of everything I have from your store.

ETA: Nevermind... I don't have any layered files from you - just alphas & lots of fonts, lol!! The files I had were just some freebies, so no worries!

Huge fan of:

Old 04-11-2012, 03:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckles View Post
I think I did it like that as well. Or maybe I selected just my scrapbook folder, not sure anymore... But my templates are also tiffs and they are in my scrapbook folder, so either way, it didn't flatten them.
Is there a way I can see if my templates have the ACDSee info embedded? Then I could check if it worked, because like I said, in the end I got the message that a couple of 100 files failed. (don't know why!)
Ever since I did the embedding there are some additional files in each folder. I think that's it. I don't have the laptop on at the moment, so I can't check it right now. Will do so later.

That's pretty devastating about the flattening TIFF files! I can't see a reason why embedding should do that - ACDSee totally deserve a letter on this, it's unfair to the user not to be informed what a function will do! I love the programme, but it sure can be weird from time to time.