Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Sometimes I wonder...

I was looking on my local Groupon today, and it's for a photo session. 2 hours on location for $50 or $89. They come with a few prints and a CD of all the UNEDITED prints along with 5 edited pics...

I looked at the girls website, and honestly, the photos are nothing better than what I can do, without a fancy camera. Actually, I could do better. Her edits all looked like Instagram (no offense Instagrammers, lol), and really harsh shadows. Really, I wouldn't pay for that, at all.

But the real thing I shook my head about was her collages. She has a whole section & was like "Check Out My Collages - get your favorite prints on a collage for a low price", so I looked. On one of her collage pages, EVERY picture was stretched or squished into the image spots! Not a single one was in proportion! I was like "WHAT??", when I saw them.

I don't know. I'm not going to say if she's good or not. But really, if you are calling yourself a professional photographer... learn some basics first! If I was a customer, I would be sadly disappointed!!

Huge fan of:

Old 05-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Um ya, good to know the basics before calling yourself a professional. That is just scary.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That's... odd. She should know her way around Photoshop a little better.

I have some good friends (current CT members and past CT members, now that I think about it) who've gone pro and I think they get a lot of undeserved criticism from the professional community (a/k/a elitist jerks) because of people like this. Hmpt.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Umm yeah, I helped a friend look for a wedding photographer a few years ago and I was seriously appalled by the quality of work of some of the so-called pros we found. I mean, a portrait photographer is one thing - at least if it doesn't work out, you can have someone else retake the photos. But this is for someone's wedding - I mean, come on! I know everyone has to start somewhere but there's no excuse for not at least knowing the basics before you charge someone for your work.

The craziest thing is the wedding photographer my friend eventually went with was some family friend who I swear must have just learned Photoshop and thought it was the best thing ever because they did some CRAZY edits. Including things like extracting the normal-sized Corona bottle out of the grooms hand and Photoshopping it back in HUGE. I felt so bad for her because while I have no desire to be a pro, I can guarantee I wouldn't have done anything like that.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh dear. I saw this email come through on my bb this morning and just deleted it, but I just went back and looked through. You're right. I wouldnt be paying for that either!