Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2012, 01:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Tell me about American Girl Dolls, why will

Keira love it?

Yes, I know Christmas is still a few months away, but Keira is trying to decide between either asking Santa for an ipod nano or an American Girl Doll. A couple years ago I got her one of the Our Generation Dolls from Target, she doesn't really play with it, but I realized the one I got wasn't poseable. I see lots of girls Keira's age with them all the time now.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My mom is a huge doll fan - so her love of dolls passed down to my sister and I. So when American Girls came out - she got us both one. I have Felicity and my sister has Molly. We played with them quite a bit - but we always played a lot with our dolls/barbies. I love dolls so much (and American Girls dolls a bunch) that a few years ago I bought myself Kirsten She's still in the box - hasn't been out but she's something special! Hopefully someday I'll have a little girl who I can give her to

So I guess if Keira is a big doll fan then I would go ahead and get her one. But if dolls don't interest her all that much - then another gift would probably be better

Old 07-25-2012, 01:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eranslow View Post
My mom is a huge doll fan - so her love of dolls passed down to my sister and I. So when American Girls came out - she got us both one. I have Felicity and my sister has Molly. We played with them quite a bit - but we always played a lot with our dolls/barbies. I love dolls so much (and American Girls dolls a bunch) that a few years ago I bought myself Kirsten She's still in the box - hasn't been out but she's something special! Hopefully someday I'll have a little girl who I can give her to

So I guess if Keira is a big doll fan then I would go ahead and get her one. But if dolls don't interest her all that much - then another gift would probably be better
Yes, she loves dolls. I think she likes dolls more than barbies.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My girls have several AG dolls that Santa has brought them over the last few years and they love them, they still play with them all the time and they have held up amazingly well for all the use they've had. I think we have two of the Just Like You dolls, Rebecca, Chrissa, a set of Bitty Twins and two Bitty Babies plus an assortment of outfits and accessories. The girls have already said they want Santa to bring them McKenna and another doll (can't remember which one though).
Old 07-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I usually buy the Doll of the Year every Christmas (well i have the last 5-6 years)

They also have the ones you can customize with your kiddo's features so that's always fun to have a dollar that resembles you

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 07-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I want an American Girl doll. They are so pretty!
Old 07-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My 10 year old likes them but only after reading the books. Before she got into the books she could not have cared any less about the dolls. Now she has one of the ones that look like her. She wants the MaKenna doll now. She didn't get her first one until her 9th birthday but she had no desire for one until then. She started going to an AG book club at the library and that is when she really got in to them. Without the books I doubt they would have ever been on her radar.

The AG dolls aren't really poseable, at least not IMO. The limbs don't bend or anything. You can pose them a little but not even as much as a Barbie. They are cute though and the quality is there.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think Keira has decided she wants one of the ones that you can make look similar to her.

She was having so much fun looking at the website, telling me all the clothes and stuff she wants! LOL! At this rate she might not get anything else for Christmas. LOL!
Old 07-25-2012, 06:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Well, we had to look again, and now she says she wants McKenna, the doll of the year.

Where do you girls get accessories and clothes? I know Target carries stuff that will fit them.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have girls...but my sister does! She has told me the BIGGEST thing about the American Girl dolls that make them a cut above the rest is the HAIR. You can actually style it, comb it, etc, and it doesn't get all yucky, sticky up, & frizzy. If Kiera would enjoy that part of dolls, you might go with a doll with longer hair. My neices also LOVE all the accessories that you do do with dolls. Different outfits, little wooden beds, horses to ride on. My sister usually buys the real American Girl dolls and a few of their special accessories. AND she has also purchased some off-brand clothes (less money but more like real life) for the dolls like pajamas, swim suits, sun dresses, jean outfits for 'school' etc..
Old 07-25-2012, 07:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
I don't have girls...but my sister does! She has told me the BIGGEST thing about the American Girl dolls that make them a cut above the rest is the HAIR. You can actually style it, comb it, etc, and it doesn't get all yucky, sticky up, & frizzy. If Kiera would enjoy that part of dolls, you might go with a doll with longer hair. My neices also LOVE all the accessories that you do do with dolls. Different outfits, little wooden beds, horses to ride on. My sister usually buys the real American Girl dolls and a few of their special accessories. AND she has also purchased some off-brand clothes (less money but more like real life) for the dolls like pajamas, swim suits, sun dresses, jean outfits for 'school' etc..
Thanks!
Old 07-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
Where do you girls get accessories and clothes? I know Target carries stuff that will fit them.
Lauren has a Bitty Twin, and we've caught a few good sales on the American Girl website for clothes. Just like real clothes, when they switch seasons you can get some cute outfits for about half price. I haven't tried any where else yet because she's content having just a few outfits for now.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Amazon has clothes and such to fit American Girl. Craft stores do too. We've gotten outfits at Michael's and Hobby Lobby. If you sew there are also great patterns to make your own clothes. We do a combination. Basically on holidays DD's doll gets a new outfit along with DD.

Oh... JCP has Dollie and Me brand clothing (Kohls too) that have matching outfits for girl and doll. My daughter has 3 sets of those. Two we found on clearance dirt cheap (like $6 for both DD and the doll outfits).

Walmart also carries some stuff but I haven't found the prices to be worth it for the quality. I did pick up a doll carrier and a high chair thing that connects to the table for $6 each at Walmart (on clearance) and those were worth the price.

Last edited by Sherri Tierney; 07-25-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We are on a kick right now of finding all sorts of miniature things to use with the AG dolls. We are going to start making our own food out of polymer clay and such. DD is pretty in to it so its a good hobby for us We find all sorts of miniatures that DD likes to use with her doll though, the party supply store has a bunch of cute things.

This little hat we got at the party store. I made the dress. We picked up the miniature flag at Walgreens and DD made the bracelet for her doll.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Let me message my sister and see if she can give me a link for the on-line site she's purchased things from. I'll be back....
Old 07-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If you have craft fairs in your area, you'll usually find at least a booth or two that makes clothing and accessories to fit the AG dolls. We have a local gal that does this and she always has cute stuff at reasonable prices. You can also find stuff on Etsy as well as patterns to make your own.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Here's some places my sister has ordered from:

http://www.dollcloset.com/ This site has a great article on the right side bar called "Should I buy an American Girl Doll". Had some great points and things to ask yourself about your kid.

http://www.mypinkplanet.com/

http://www.doll-clothes.com/

Hope you find some goodies!

Last edited by kristijoy; 07-25-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:53 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

my girls don't have an actual american girl doll, but they have bitty babies.
my MIL gets all their stuff from the american girl outlet in Oshkosh (WI).
emma's not a doll girl, and she still sleeps with her bitty baby at night.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:18 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for posting the links! My DD will be getting her first American Girl for her bday. She has the bitty baby and one of the twins.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My girls got their first AG dolls for Christmas this past year. I had Samantha when I was a girl, and then when I was older and got a job, I bought myself another one (one of the customizable ones). I loved them and still do. I'd buy them for myself now if it wasn't ridiculous to buy dolls for myself when I have 2 daughters!! Anyway, they are so nice, and my girls absolutely love them. I tried going with the Our Generation dolls the year before, but they were junk! I mean, they got played with, but they aren't as pretty, their hair is awful, and you can just tell they aren't as nicely made. I was willing to spend the price to get the nice ones. I do buy the clothes at Target though, and accessories. I bought my girls some of the books on amazon about making your own doll stuff, and they are an amazing thing to have with the dolls - it gives them all kinds of ideas on how to play with them and what to make. We have also made clay food. They are all just super fun!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelley View Post
My girls got their first AG dolls for Christmas this past year. I had Samantha when I was a girl, and then when I was older and got a job, I bought myself another one (one of the customizable ones). I loved them and still do. I'd buy them for myself now if it wasn't ridiculous to buy dolls for myself when I have 2 daughters!! Anyway, they are so nice, and my girls absolutely love them. I tried going with the Our Generation dolls the year before, but they were junk! I mean, they got played with, but they aren't as pretty, their hair is awful, and you can just tell they aren't as nicely made. I was willing to spend the price to get the nice ones. I do buy the clothes at Target though, and accessories. I bought my girls some of the books on amazon about making your own doll stuff, and they are an amazing thing to have with the dolls - it gives them all kinds of ideas on how to play with them and what to make. We have also made clay food. They are all just super fun!
I dont' think that's crazy at all! My sister bought herself a doll so she could play with her girls! She bought herself a build-a-bear too!
Old 07-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

American Girl just released (I think) a doll without hair for cancer. I think you have to special request them or something (sorry- no children so I'm not totally on the up and up). I saw something about it on Facebook. Thank goodness Keira is cancer free, but I figured you'd probably like to support a company like that.