Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2013, 12:14 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default question for those that use back blaze

Im thinking about signing up to use backblaze, but notice that it says that if you remove files from your computer, it also removes them from the online backup. I have too many photos to keep all of them on my computer, so want to move some to external harddrives. I noticed it says that your external harddrive needs to be attached at least once a month to keep the files backed up on backblaze. Mine is very rarely attached. But i still want all the photos on it backed up. Does anyone else have this problem? Do you just back up your external drives to other external drives? Hope this makes sense lol
Old 12-02-2013, 01:27 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I know I won't plug EHDs in often enough or leave them in long enough, so I dealt with it by being selective about what photos I kept on my main HD. My main computer HD is big enough now that I don't have to go through all this, but I used to back everything up on a DVD and EHD, then keep only the few best photos from each photo session/each month on my HD so they'd be backed up online. My feeling was that any photo I couldn't bear to lose had to be on the main HD, and if worse came to worse and I lost the ones on the DVD or EHD I wouldn't be devastated.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I make sure to have any EHD attached that I want backed up. Never had an issue. I also do a secondary backup on a large EHD here at home.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just set a reminder and make sure to plug in every few weeks. No big deal. I don't keep all my pics on my laptop so it's important for me to have my ehd backed up. I've never regretted my Backblaze payment.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Maybe CrashPlan is better for you. It doesn't care how long your external hard drive has been detached. When you attach it again, it will start where it left off.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorryfach View Post
Maybe CrashPlan is better for you. It doesn't care how long your external hard drive has been detached. When you attach it again, it will start where it left off.
I second crash plan, if that works for you... also we have a personal server over EHD... so that is also connect to crashplan to be updated, but not physically connected to the laptop. I can access it over wifi.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:40 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Im definitely liking the look of crash plan. Did it take a horribly long time to do the initial back up? I just read a review that said it took 6 months! We have a server too, but its ancient and slow and just painful. Dh made it from old computers he had lying around (computer geek) but it needs upgrading badly.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:08 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

It took me at least 4 months for my initial backup with backblaze. My upload speed isn't very fast though.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I switched from BackBlaze to CrashPlan a year ago because I liked that CP doesn't ever delete any of your files. Both of my initial backups took quite awhile, but I was backing up my internal HD as well as two EHD's with well over 1TB of data so I knew they would take awhile.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:58 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My initial backup with Backblaze took a month, and that was with me leaving it on overnight for the final week with backup speed set to "full throttle". I plug in my EHD overnight sometimes to make sure everything gets backed up, but I've been really happy with Backblaze. They are easy to work with and were really helpful when I was having some trouble getting my ancient EHD to connect.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:42 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

We originally had Carbonite, which I have absolutely nothing good to say about. It NEVER finished the initial backup. After more than a year, we just gave up. And it was only doing the internal drive, no EHDs! With CrashPlan it took maybe a month to do all three computers and two EHDs. Of course, it depends how big the drives are and how long they stay connected!
Old 12-03-2013, 10:32 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It took a bit with the initial upload... DH did speed up the upload overnights when no one was using the computers...