Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Organic/Chemical-free Cosmetics?

I'm trying to get recommendations on some organic cosmetics - foundations, powders, cleansers, lotions, etc... I'm on a perpetual quest to reduce our chemical exposure, so I started with cleaning products and we're in good shape there, but I think our next switch will be in cosmetics and beauty products.

I've done a little researching, but I'd like to hear if anyone has any personal recommendations or not.

Thanks!!
Old 04-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I got suckered into one of those kiosks in the mall, and bought a whole whack of their stuff (I don't even WEAR makeup, rofl...I really must have SUCKER written on my forehead). It's by Micabella and it's pretty nice stuff. I love that you can use the colors for so many things!
Old 04-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I know LUSH has all natural products..a bit $$$ but I LOVE them!!

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 04-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use Bare Minerals. I use it because it is the ONLY make-up that doesn't cause an allergic reaction for me. I've been wearing it daily for the past 1.5 years. I really love it!
Old 04-20-2008, 10:53 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

there are sooo many different products out there. Are you talking about make up or general skin care/hair care etc products? We use avalon organics for cleansers etc.. I tried lush-- I liked their bath products, but the facial stuff I got did not agree with my skin at all. I've never had a problem with the avalon stuff though-- It's really trial and error though. You have to find what works for you- and I've gone through a ton of different things. IF I don't BUY stuff (which I prefer not to :hehe: ) my mother makes kiddo & I soaps and what not.

As far as MAKEUP I use everyday minerals.. cheaper than other brands, and I really like the products. I've been using them for a long time now with no problems.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamaraGugler View Post
I use Bare Minerals. I use it because it is the ONLY make-up that doesn't cause an allergic reaction for me. I've been wearing it daily for the past 1.5 years. I really love it!
I started off at their site too because I've heard so many good things about it. I see the word "natural" a lot, but no mention of whether their products are truly organic. Do you know?
Old 04-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren grier View Post
Are you talking about make up or general skin care/hair care etc products?
All of the above! I'm checking out the links you provided. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2008, 11:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My niece works as a stylist at an Aveda salon and she got me into their products. Not cheap but, I must admit, they are amazing. When money is tight, I only use the haircare stuff (it lasts for ages) but whenever we can afford it I try to buy their skin care as well. Love love LOVE the hand lotion! I'm out right now and my hands are missing it bigtime.

http://www.aveda.com/index.tmpl?ngextredir=1
Old 04-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochelle789 View Post
I started off at their site too because I've heard so many good things about it. I see the word "natural" a lot, but no mention of whether their products are truly organic. Do you know?
I don't see anything that says organic either...just a lot of 100% minerals. very interesting...
Old 04-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamaraGugler View Post
I don't see anything that says organic either...just a lot of 100% minerals. very interesting...
I know with food there's a difference between natural and organic, but I'm not sure if that applied to cosmetics or not, especially the mineral ones. Can you have organic minerals? I don't think so. LOL! Organic or not, at least Bare Minerals doesn't have all of the chemicals like the drugstore brands do. That's what I'm mainly trying to get away from. I guess the organic part isn't as important as the chemical-free part of it.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:36 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

yeh.. with makeup I just look for 1) cruelty free and 2) talc, sulfate & chemical free (kid is allergic to sulfates.. so why would I put it on my face ) I know there ARE truly organic makeups out there but I haven't really looked deeply enough. Every day minerals says "organic" on the site.. like once but I think it's like bare minerals and just "natural" There's an ingredient list on the site that you can compare to the bare minerals to see which one you prefer.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I just look for 1) cruelty free and 2) talc, sulfate & chemical free
Same here! One of the first things I look for in the ingredient list are any parabens (unfortunately, SO many products have them). SUKI'S NATURALS has GREAT products! I also buy AVALON ORGANICS products.

ETA: I've been on the hunt for any local stores that sell organic Pajamas and/or kids clothes that don't have the "flame resistant" chemicals in them.

Last edited by meganmecrazy; 04-21-2008 at 05:44 AM.