Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2017, 03:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Speaking of backups

I have a mac and use time machine to do my backups in addition to my own copy + paste into several different HDs. But my husband is using a PC and has no clue how to or what to backup onto/with so I'm asking for your advice. If you use a PC and do backup, what program/service are you using? What does it cost and do they offer a time machine like option of storing your data on a EHD and not just online?

Thank you
Old 12-03-2017, 06:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've had issues in the past when I used one backup provider/software program for both online and local backups. If something went wrong with one (it stopped backing up unexpectedly without notifying me, an unusual character made a particular folder or file not back up, etc.), it went wrong with both and I was out of luck. So even though I could use Crashplan for both, I don't. I use Crashplan for online backup. (I recently switched to the Small Business plan--home users can use it, too. You might need to double check what I said about EHDs with them. The home version did both, but I didn't pay attention to whether the business version does.) My EHD is a Passport Drive from Western Digital, and I just use the backup software that it came with for local backups.

There is a built in backup with Windows, but I didn't like it when I tried it. I tried a few around the same time, so it's possible I'm mixing it up with another program, but I think the problem may have been that it was too simplified. I didn't have enough control over exactly what was and wasn't backed up, and I couldn't see how much was left to do while it was working.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have my computer run a backup every week on the actual computer. It saves to a specific location on my harddrive.

As far as backing up photos and what not? I have my photos saved on the original harddrive and then they are backed up to another harddrive. In the new year I am investing in a Western Digital My Cloud Personal Network . I will be able to access it anywhere I have wifi, which means when I'm sitting in the car at my daughter's 1-hour appointments, I'll be able to access it. I've been eyeing this for months, but told my husband in the new year, when I get my laptop, we will be getting this as well!
Old 12-04-2017, 10:10 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have a portable WD EHD and a WD My Cloud 2TB
Old 12-04-2017, 12:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I backup to my EHD and a secondary drive installed in my computer, and have it run to Crashplan constantly. I have my EHD backing up as well. I am paranoid. I admit it. It's worth my sanity ot have triple backups.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverendingJen View Post
I backup to my EHD and a secondary drive installed in my computer, and have it run to Crashplan constantly. I have my EHD backing up as well. I am paranoid. I admit it. It's worth my sanity ot have triple backups.
Jen, what are you planning to use now that Crashplan has stopped servicing consumer accounts? Did you switch over to a business account? I'm still trying to figure out what to do in this situation.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:12 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I used Backblaze online that backs up constantly. You can choose to restore using download or pay extra for hard drive. It works well - I've had two crashes since using it, and did the download option which takes a while but there's little I have that I don't mind waiting for - plus I believe you can pick and choose what to restore, so if you're wanting a particular folder, you can restore that on it's own (but don't hold me to that!) rather than waiting for it to appear randomly in the download queue.

It does take an absolute age to do the first back up (I think mine took several months the very first time, but that was when our internet was very very slow, we've upgraded since).

I have now also got a 1TB EHD that I back up to every month (or so).

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 12-05-2017, 05:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallt View Post
Jen, what are you planning to use now that Crashplan has stopped servicing consumer accounts? Did you switch over to a business account? I'm still trying to figure out what to do in this situation.
Yep, I'm switching to small business. It is worth it to not have to back up everything again...because if I had to switch, I'd have to allow at least 3 months overlap to ensure I wasn't without backup.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I use Carbonite. I used it with PC and now use it with my Mac. I can retrieve any files from anywhere to any computer.