Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2018, 06:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Laptop or Computer

Do you scrap on a laptop or a computer? Is it a preference, space? Why do you scrap on that item?

Goodness, in today's day and age, I should probably include tablet/phone, right?
Old 03-27-2018, 06:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I scrap on a computer. For me its a preference. I like my monitors (their brightness, etc). I like that ALL of my stuff is in one location instead of on many harddrives. I like that I have a designated space.

However on the flip side, I spend SO much time a week at doctor appointments, I'd like a laptop, but can't commit to actually buying one. I've been looking for the past two years but haven't found one that fits my needs or wants, enough for me to jump and actually buying it.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:14 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My "office" is a corner in my living room and I scrap (ok.. i like never scrap anymore but i do design lol) on a desktop I have never really cared for laptops and I use two monitors (trying to convince myself i really don't need a 3rd haha)
Old 03-27-2018, 06:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Laptop. I want to be able to take it out of the house, especially when we go on vacation or when I have the rare opportunity to get out of the house by myself to scrap at Starbucks. I use a tablet a little, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2018, 06:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I used to do it on my desktop with two monitors. And I love that setting. One monitor with the open folder of the kit I use and one monitor with Photoshop. So much easier to see everything at once.
But I recently got a laptop and I love the comfort of my couch. But getting used to a single screen is hard! I do have a docking station for the laptop and I could use the dual monitors but I need a chair that's as comfortable as my couch now. haha
Old 03-27-2018, 06:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I’ve scrapped on a laptop for years. It’s the only way I can do it. I have to use a mouse though. The touchpad and I aren’t friends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2018, 09:10 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I only use my desktop. I'm sure I'd make use of a laptop if I had one.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have a laptop, but use an external monitor, keyboard and mouse when it suits me. I love the mobility of a laptop so that I can spend time with my family, travel with it, etc ... and not be tethered to a desktop, but still have the features of a desktop when I want them.

Last edited by SeattleSheri; 03-27-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Desktop computer with 2 widescreen monitors. I tried scrapping on my laptop last year, but just couldn't get used to the tiny screen and also found it too slow as I don't think my laptop had enough memory to work smoothly.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Laptop for me! We got rid of our office a few years ago (desk, office chairs, fililng cabinets...all of it), and with that, we got rid of our desktop and moved everything to a laptop! Now I scrap at the dining room table, can watch TV, listen to music, and be involved 100% in what the family is doing too! It's so much better than being stuck in the basement seperated from the family!
Old 03-27-2018, 11:03 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

So, forgive the crappy picture, my phone is about to die, but I am strictly a computer scrapper.

I absolutely love having three monitors to scrap - one for all my kits and stuff - one for Photoshop and the other one will be SSD or whatever site I am scrapping for, or social media like Facebook.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well I am meant to have a laptop but the screen got smashed so I've connected a monitor for now so it's kinda like a computer lol. I was going to fix the screen but I'm holding out to get a complete brand new laptop in a few months time.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:45 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use a gaming laptop. My husband just got me a double wide monitor for Valentine's day so I can scrap and surf or watch videos at the same time. It's heaven! Plus I can always take my laptop with me to do my scrapping at friends or at Starbucks (when I'm waiting for my daughter while she's at Bible Study) or when we are on vacation. It just works for me.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Desktop for me. A laptop would be nice, though.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:02 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Desktop! I do have a MacBook Pro too but I don't use it unless we are PCSing and our internet isn't hooked up yet. It's a small one and I can't get used to that after my 27inch iMac.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:11 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We have moved a LOT in the last 10 years and never had a dedicated office space or any kind of table aside from a dining room table so a laptop it is for me.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:50 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Like Kristen, I hardly ever scrap any more, but I design on my desktop. I purchased a gaming laptop so that I could be more flexible and design anywhere in the house, but barely ever used it. I recently gave it to my niece to use after her laptop died. I love using the desktop, but now I want a second monitor for it. LOL

Last edited by LJSDesigns; 04-03-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've got me a big old 27 inch i-mac screen! It's my favorite and I can't deal with small anymore. lol.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use a laptop and multiple hard drives. I’ve lost pics from a computer crashing before so I have copies of everything backed up on multiple hard drives and also through a company who stores it somewhere else.

I’ve always had a laptop since getting one for school ten years ago, so now it’s just preference I guess. I have a wireless mouse hat I use because a mouse is easier to scrap with!

Old 03-28-2018, 01:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm surprised at how many people don't elect to have laptops with external monitors! The best of both worlds IMO!
Old 03-28-2018, 05:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Only on the desktop. I use to scrap on my laptop some when on vacation and such but never really liked it much. I got a new hard drive on my laptop and lost my CS5. Even though I still have the serial number I can't get CS5 reloaded onto the laptop. And Adobe won't give me any customer service because CS5 is old. I still feel angry about this if you can't tell. So desktop it is I guess.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I use a computer since I'm just at home. I ike it because of the screen. When I'm out and I really need to scrap then I bring my laptop with me.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I scrap at a computer with 2 monitors. I was using a laptop with an extra monitor, but it wasn't powerful enough and it drove me nuts being so slow! I still use it when we travel.
We've set up our dining room so that my boys have their desks/computers in there with mine, so we're together when we're on the computer.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:37 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I work from home (web designer) and I have a great set-up for that (a shiny new iMac Pro and an external 27" Apple display so sitting at my desk even longer to scrapbook stinks. I do it on my iPad Pro now with Affinity and LOVE IT! I still do some things on my desktop but I try and do as much as I can scrapbook wise on my iPad.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Laptop girl... haven't used a desktop to scrap since 2009. I'm constantly moving around the house... sofa in the living room, chair in the bedroom... kitchen table for school, school room for school stuff... take it to the Y while I wait for J to finish lessons.

I need to look into a gaming laptop, but I'm also a mac girl - I have the most powerful mac laptop and I can bring it to her knees.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I'm surprised at how many people don't elect to have laptops with external monitors! The best of both worlds IMO!
I'm just shocked at how many people actually use desktops still!! My father was telling me that desktops are dinosaurs and no use uses them with the modern conveniences of laptops. I'm glad to see so many of us using desktops!
Old 03-28-2018, 07:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I'm just shocked at how many people actually use desktops still!! My father was telling me that desktops are dinosaurs and no use uses them with the modern conveniences of laptops. I'm glad to see so many of us using desktops!
My son built my desktop and to get the same computing power in a laptop would have been at least 3x what he spent. I don't mind not being mobile. I get even more distracted than usual if I'm trying to scrap while watching TV!
Old 03-29-2018, 05:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by britaneejean View Post
I’ve scrapped on a laptop for years. It’s the only way I can do it. I have to use a mouse though. The touchpad and I aren’t friends

This is me too....I’ve had a laptop now for a good 10-12 years I’d say if not more.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 04-02-2018, 01:00 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I feel more productive with a desktop, probably because it is in a set space. I have a laptop now, and I find that I have been having a hard time scrapping. I think I need to just put my laptop in a set location and try to scrap from there.

41. Seattle
Old 04-02-2018, 02:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I started out on a computer, but I prefer to scrap on my laptop while watching Netflix series with my husband. Multitasking if you please Also, it’s easier to bring a laptop along on long vacations if I need to scrap, either for fun or a CT.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I've heard the same thing, but I suspect the gaming and graphic design crowds might be the exception because we need more powerful computers. Personally I'm a laptop scrapper and am willing to give up some computing power for the mobility of a laptop, but I can see where it's a harder choice for us than for a typical user.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:36 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

I scrap on my iPad, using affinity. I’m finding my feet with it stil, but I love it.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:41 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I scrap from my android. I'm very limited and looking at iPad so I can use affinity. Its what got me into digi scrapping but I want to expand on skills now that I've started to get a grasp on it