Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 10-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb
Default Baby Stuff Help Please!

So, I REALLY need to get started on our registry soon. I know I need to research stuff, but I'm kind of lost on where to start. Strollers and carseats seem to be a total mental block for me right now. What do I need, what don't I need, what's the best way to go about it since we plan on having more kids. I'm not planning on registering for toys or clothes at all, because I know people will give us that kind of stuff regardless. I know Libby has the other necessity thread that I'm gonna check out, but I wanted to ask again anyway, lol.

HELP!!

Any advise? Infant travel system vs other? Infant carseat and an infant-toddler carseat?
What about cribs? Do we go with just a basic crib, or is the convertible a worthy investment (that's the way I was leaning)? If we get a long dresser/changing table, do we really need another dresser? WHY is the furniture so dang expensive!? LOL!

Last edited by ColleenSwerb; 10-17-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I personally liked the infant -toddler carseat much better than the travel system...simply because I didn't want to have to buy another carseat once mine grew out of the baby part...kwim.....but if you are planning on more kids then you would probably end up having to buy another carseat anyway{so getting the travel system could be saved for the next baby} unless you plan on having more than 8 years between them!!! {the law in WA is they have to be in a car seat/booster until they are 8!!!}

I highly reocmmend a pack and play with a bassinet in it...serves 2 purposes, a bassinet to sleep in in your room until they are a little older and like their crib and a pack and play for when you need to put them down and go do something without them getting into anything ...and these fold up and travel really well....

I bought Abby the convertible crib and it was worth it through the toddle stage, but we are still using the matching dresser almost 6 years later....it also converts to a headboard/footbaord for a double bed but we don't have a mattress for that so it will be awhile bfore that happens...so I say they are worht it, jut put all the extra pieces safely aside

Last edited by nun69; 10-17-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

hehe I feel your pain, girl. And let me just say... even though I've done this before, EVERYTHING has changed in the 14 years since Kendra was a baby. I feel like a first time mom all over again.

As far as dresser/changing table goes, I'll say that I never ever ever used my changing table with Kendra. I always thought I would, but it soon became a hassle. I always ended up just using a receiving blanket or changing pad on the floor. Cause let's face it... we didn't spend a lot of time in the nursery, and I wasn't going to carry her through the house to get back to her bedroom just to change her diaper.

So, we're skipping the changing table altogether and just using a dresser that we already have.

If you don't already have one though, I highly recommend a glider rocker. I've still got mine from Kendra, and I used that thing a TON.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Honestly, you need a whole lot less than you think. Babies don't need all that much, really. Some clothes, diapers, milk, maybe a bouncy seat, a place to sleep. I will recommend a sling of some kind - I've had several with my three kids and they're a lifesaver!
Old 10-17-2011, 11:48 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

here is a book that I found REALLY helpful when I was shopping for baby stuff. Great reviews on items so you buy something that is practical, quality, and will last! They come out with one every year, so be sure to get this edition, it's the newest one.
http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Bargains-...dp_ob_title_bk
Old 10-17-2011, 11:51 AM

profile gallery send pm

We're getting a family heirloom type bassinet for our bedroom. I'm kind of excited about it. My FIL and his sister used it, and then Jordan and his brother/sisters and all their cousins, and now the grandbabies are all using it. We just haven't figured out how it's getting up here from TN, lol.

There's really only 1 level to our house that baby would be on (the downstairs is the guest bedroom and laundry room and garage), so while we won't use the PNP in the house, we're going to register for one for when we travel to either or our parents houses. So that's on the list. I'm not sure how much traveling we'll do in the beginning to need the bassinet function or not though, KWIM?

And then I'm gonna register for a glider, but I'm not sure if my mom is gonna give me the rocker my Dad gave her right before I was born. So that's a wait and see kinda thing I guess.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

we got the travel system... we ended up bringing the stroller to a consignment shop after one use... I hated how bulky and heavy that thing was!!! I ended up getting a wrap and a really nice umbrella stroller instead. That was the beginning of my love of babywearing... tho, I use a stroller a lot... I have a double jogging stroller which you can get an attachement for the baby car seat if you want... and still have the umbrella stroller which the back comes down so you can have a baby in there instead of waiting until he's older and can support himself... ok that got totally rambly lol

so what I'm saying is I hate the travel system and much prefer getting the car seat and smaller stroller.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

We had a travel system and Abby outweighed the thing pretty fast so I did not buy one for JJ. I used the convertible car seat for both kids as well as the convertible crib for both.

Def no on the changing table.

As far as the bouncy seat and swing... babies are so different. Both of mine hated the swing and loved the bouncy seat. I would try to borrow both to see which the baby likes before you go drop a bunch of money on one.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We skipped the travel system, too. We did get the infant seat though, just because I liked to be able to leave him in it in the winter and just buy a fuzzy cover for it so he could stay warm. I cannot say enough good things about the Chicco Keyfit 30 if you decide to go with an infant seat. The base is SOOOOO easy to install and getting the baby snug & secure in the seat is a breeze, too! Granted, I have no experience with other seats, but I have absolutely NO complaints about it. They are spendy, but we bought ours without the travel system & got one of the snap & go strollers, or I put him in my carrier (I have a Beco which is nice!).

And actually, I will say, having a team green baby is kind of nice because there isn't a HUGE amount of neutral clothing out there, so you will probably actually get TONS of useful things instead of buckets of clothing (and everyone loves to buy 0-3 month stuff which they outgrow SO fast).

Really, what you love is so different based on the baby - my first son I used the changing table a TON, and really haven't used it much at all with Matthew. Both my boys love the swing but we used it a lot more with Ben, they both love the bouncy seat.

It's definitely overwhelming, the world of baby stuff!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 10-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I found the whole travel system too heavy for me, personally and too difficult to get in and out of the car. I got one of those lightweight car seat stroller thingys(like this onehttp://www.amazon.com/Maclaren-Trave...868969&sr=1-15. The infant seat clipped into it. I did get a normal stroller(and jogging stroller too) when he was bigger - after about 6-8 months.

Do babies run large or small in your family? Think about that when buying your car seat. My niece is petite and could be in her infant seat for a long time. My DS was long and heavy and growing out of his car seat at 6 months. So think about that when making your decision too.

Cribs - for you guys, just starting out on this parenthood ride, you should invest in something that will last awhile. Your little one might be in the crib when #2 comes along, so converting to a bed may not be necessary until AFTER your babies are all out of the crib stage.

So excited for you!!
Old 10-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

Personally I love our travel system. I got it on sale at Target. It's a graco. (I believe). I like not having to take her out of the carrier and just attaching her to the stroller as needed. Plus I like our stroller. It's not that bulky and really easy to open and close.

I vetoed the changing table, I knew I'd never use it. So it was pointless. If you really wanted to use a changing table you could always get a short dresser and putting a changing table mat on it. That's what a friend of mine did.

As for crib, we got a convertible one. Again I believe graco. I liked the idea of not having to buy a toddler bed and then just buying a mattress for a regular bed. Ours was actually kinda cheap, I think we got it off target's website and on sale too.

Now we are in the market for an umbrella stroller and a convertible/toddler car seat. She's going to be out growing the carrier soon.

As for swings/bouncy seat, Kennedy LOVED the bouncy seat. And we had a small travel swing from my SIL and she loved that too. But it varies for babies.

Last edited by hollyxann; 10-17-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The things we couldn't live without...

Miracle Blanket - at least 2 in case of leaking diapers
Bouncy Seat - you will use this A LOT for the first few months...both of mine napped in theirs often too as newborns
Bassinet for our room
lots and lots of burp cloths- Idk why but I used these like crazy

I'm trying to remember but the only thing I really used a ton once they got older (5-10 mos) was their exersaucer...they are great to entertain them and once they're mobile to contain them when you need a minute lol.

Neither of my babies like slings or wraps..I tried but it just wasn't happening.

We did have a travel system but it wasn't something I think I had to have. Mine stayed in infant seats in the car til about 10 mos and then were rear-facing in convertible seats. The infant seat is convenient to move them to and from places when their tiny.

Neither of mine likes swings...in fact they would scream bloody murder in a swing lol.

My mom gave me a glider rocker when DS was born and I still love having it. You will want something to rock with when he/she is a newborn..I spent lots of sleepless nights holding and rocking my babies in that glider

Old 10-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

That's what I forgot.

Kennedy loves the sling. We made mine. We had a bassinet in our room, and she slept in that til she was like 4 months old.
Now she loves the exersaucer. It's great to keep her contained.
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I keep forgetting to mention this in the baby buying stuff but I used one with both lily and lucas.. it was given to me as a baby gift and really did help!

Its the conair sound therapy machine.. Just for white noise or they have like heartbeat sounds too.. at the same time I think they have apps and such now with white noise that you can get with your phone (I think my sister told me that?) but anyways just a thought

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitinmn View Post
We skipped the travel system, too. We did get the infant seat though, just because I liked to be able to leave him in it in the winter and just buy a fuzzy cover for it so he could stay warm. I cannot say enough good things about the Chicco Keyfit 30 if you decide to go with an infant seat. The base is SOOOOO easy to install and getting the baby snug & secure in the seat is a breeze, too! Granted, I have no experience with other seats, but I have absolutely NO complaints about it. They are spendy, but we bought ours without the travel system & got one of the snap & go strollers, or I put him in my carrier (I have a Beco which is nice!).

And actually, I will say, having a team green baby is kind of nice because there isn't a HUGE amount of neutral clothing out there, so you will probably actually get TONS of useful things instead of buckets of clothing (and everyone loves to buy 0-3 month stuff which they outgrow SO fast).

Really, what you love is so different based on the baby - my first son I used the changing table a TON, and really haven't used it much at all with Matthew. Both my boys love the swing but we used it a lot more with Ben, they both love the bouncy seat.

It's definitely overwhelming, the world of baby stuff!
Yea, I'm hoping that being team green will help us get the stuff we'll actually NEED and USE, instead of 89034843920 size 0-3 months pink/blue onesies, lol. As a friend I ALWAYS buy 6-9mo sizes, just because no one else seems too, lol.

The thought of registering for something baby might hate (like a swing, or a bouncer) drives me a little insane, lol.

Thanks for the input though ladies! I know I want a jogger for when Swerbaby gets big enough, so I can get back into shape, lol. I liked the idea of the travel system so I wouldn't have to disturb a sleeping baby to get them out of the car in the cold weather, but with a spring-ish baby, that shouldn't really be a huuuuge concern I guess. Good food for thought.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Hey Col, I'm sure you'll get tons of advice from the awesome ladies here, but I was just going to say, Young House Love had quite a few babyelated posts on their blog sharing what gear worked for them and such. So if you're looking for some frugal/DIY ideas (especially for furniture, etc) you might check it out (since I think you said you were a fan of their blog).
Old 10-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh and a pack and play if you plan on traveling with the baby. I used mine with DS a LOT b/c when he was a baby I traveled a lot between my mom's and my own house since DH was deployed.

As for crib we did get a convertible with Ella but right now she's still using it as a crib. We have a crib tent (LOVE LOVE) that fits over her crib so even though she's going on 3 I can still put her in her crib and don't have to worry about her climbing out and falling etc. (DS climbed out of his at 18 mos and broke his elbow so ever since then we use a crib tent). She's never known any different so I'm keeping her in there as long as I can lol. But I do think I will like that it converts to a full size bed. It also converts to a toddler bed but I think we'll skip that step and just convert to full sized once I'm ready to transition her to a big girl bed.

Skip the changing table..total waste of money and space.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

I know alot of people who don't use the convertible crib, but we did/do. L.J. is 6 and we have the headboard set up on his full size bed and we use his changing table as a dresser. We bought the wardrobe too and it's still in his room, but it's more for storage...not clothes.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

you can get a snap n go... much less bulky or heavy... and many of the nicer end smaller strollers have attachments you can get so you can use the baby car seat. I do think I recall tho that you and your husband are pretty tall... you might find that your baby will grow out of the car seat pretty quickly... just something to think about... Asher isn't really tall but he grew out of it height wise by 6 months.

and babies are resilient, they go back to sleep pretty quickly when you take them out of the car seat.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:23 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
Hey Col, I'm sure you'll get tons of advice from the awesome ladies here, but I was just going to say, Young House Love had quite a few babyelated posts on their blog sharing what gear worked for them and such. So if you're looking for some frugal/DIY ideas (especially for furniture, etc) you might check it out (since I think you said you were a fan of their blog).
Yes, I love them My only worry is that I want the room to be DONE when baby comes, and I'm already pretty much out of time as far as refinishing/refurbishing furniture goes. I love what they did with the craigslist dresser for her changing table, I just don't think I can do it myself. I AM trolling craigslist though on the off chance I find something relatively easy to redo.

I do want to baby wear, so I'm gonna get some kind of sling. I just hope Swerbaby likes it, lol.
I DEF want a noise machine to help with sleeping.
I'll add an exersaucer to my list, I hadn't really thought of one of those.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:26 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergw View Post
you can get a snap n go... much less bulky or heavy... and many of the nicer end smaller strollers have attachments you can get so you can use the baby car seat. I do think I recall tho that you and your husband are pretty tall... you might find that your baby will grow out of the car seat pretty quickly... just something to think about... Asher isn't really tall but he grew out of it height wise by 6 months.

and babies are resilient, they go back to sleep pretty quickly when you take them out of the car seat.
Sorry, that made me giggle. I'm a midget (5'-4" if I'm lucky). Jordan's a bit taller at around 6'-0". I was the biggest of my mom's babies, and I think Jordan was in the middle of his mom's 4. I'm not sure WHAT to expect as far as baby size goes, and how fast Swerbaby will grow. I never even thought of taking that into account.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We had a travel system and used it with all three kids, it was one of our most used items and we actually still have the stroller (the infant seat expired about the time Kyle outgrew it so it was perfect timing). Our youngest is 4 so we don't really use it much anymore, but I have tons of nieces and nephews so it's handy to have whenever I have one of the little ones! I babysit my 3mo old nephew and my BIL & SIL have the Chicco Keyfit Travel System (from Target I think) and it is SO nice, they have two bases and leave one with me everyday and it is so easy to buckle into our van. Actually much easier than the base we had with ours!

I would also recommend a pack-n-play, again it's one of the few baby items we held onto when we got rid of all our baby stuff after Kyle. Ours came with the bassinet and changing pad attachments which made it pretty expensive back then, but I think those are pretty standard now. It's super handy for the grandparents houses or traveling, but we kept ours setup in our living room since that is where we spent most of our time. And then I didn't have to always take the baby into the nursery for changes and stuff.

Also my kids all loved the bouncy seat and swing, there were times when the swing was the only place mine would nap so it was a lifesaver for us! In fact my nephew uses our swing now, and it's the only place he sleeps at my house during the day too!

We had a matching crib, changing table and dresser that we also used with all our kids. We chose white since we knew all our babies would be using it. We also didn't bother getting a convertible one for that same reason, it worked out that about the time the oldest was ready for a toddler bed the second baby came along and needed the crib! And then by the time the third came along the older two were sharing a room with bunkbeds!
Old 10-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

things i loved and hated. my two cents.
we have a convertible crib. went from a crib, toddler bed and then a full size. best option imho. granted, we got a hand me down toddler bed, but j has this beautiful bed now - full size. wonderful option.

diaper champ. no special bags. note - no need to buy separate bags for diapers. love. kept smell down. http://www.target.com/p/Baby-Trend-D...e/-/A-11389426

wrap, sling or what have you. wore the babies everywhere. e more so than j.

no special changing table. we got a pad from babys r us and used that on the dresser. or used the floor. or the ottoman.

do NOT register for wash cloths. people will buy you PLENTY. do no register for these little tiny things.

a baby bath tub. used twice. total waste of space imho. hated it. we showered with the girls or put them in the big tub, a bit of water and that was it. unless in 7 years there is a brand new easy to use tub - use the sink.

baby blankets - get a lot. we now use them for the dog. they were puked on and pooped on a lot. i also washed our stuff with the girls clothes only using dye free detergent and then double rinsed. now - if it was poopy clothes, i rinsed a lot and then washed with our own stuff. but my girls had no allergies to anything like that and the double rinsing helped.

stock up on diapers, wipes. ask for bowls, spoons and sippy cups for when the babe is older - we still use the little bowls.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:47 PM

profile gallery send pm

We are planning on cloth diapering too, so that's a whole other research/thread topic, LOL!

I love seeing the differences in what people love, and what people don't use. Very interesting for sure.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

OK... I'm 5'3" and Mark is 6'2"... Moriah grew out of the baby car seat at 10 months, Isaac at 8 months and Asher at 6 months... most people have to buy the rear facing convertible car seat... especially now that the AAP recommends 2 years minimum rear facing... so for me the baby car seat is an extra expense that isn't needed.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

We didn't go with the travel system, although if I had to do it all over again, I probably would. It would be great if you could try out some units in your vehicle before buying...maybe a consignment shop would let you do that??? Not sure.
We bought the Evenflo Triumph, which at the time was the top safety rated seat...which is why we bought it. However, in my Corolla, it sat funny and nearly filled the backseat. Also, since I was dropping her off at the sitters and DH was picking her up, we had to either have 2 seats or leave the carseat on a daily basis. We wound up with 2 seats, when we could have just had one seat with 2 bases.

And the changing table...we used ours all the time. It was given to us, so I'm not sure if I would have spent money on one.

Other things that I LOVED...the swing (and Jumperoo when she was older). Crib tent to keep cats out of her bed. Pack-n-play for trips to Grandma's and overnights at hotels. And oddly enough, her mobile...Rachel would lay there and watch it and just giggle...her first laughs came from that thing
Old 10-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

the thing I liked about my pack and play was I could set it up in the living room {with the bassinet in it} and when Peyton was asleep I could just lay him in that and do what I needed around the living room/kitchen and be on the computer....plus for me, we didn't really have room in our bedroom for a bassinet or the pack and play so we co slept
Old 10-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

The Peg Perago stroller had a strap to connect any infant seat to it. I had one and LOVED it. We used it until he was 4 and it still worked great. Albee Baby.com has great deals on strollers, carseats, etc. I would buy seperates, that way you can get the best infant seat, not just whatever comes with the stroller. Go to a store that has them on display and hold them. Find one you can carry easily and comfortably because you will carry it a lot. And you can find ones that get the best car reviews.

I bought a convertable crib and did use it for the toddler bed. It was nice to have, but toddler beds can be pretty cheap and our Craigslist often has them on it.

I bought a dresser with a changing table on top, but made sure to find one that wouldn't look weird later to use after he was done with diapers. He's still using it.

We actually got his furniture at K-Mart. Its good stuff and cost way less money. Like I said, still using the dresser and the crib held up great, even sold it (before the big recall) for close to what I paid for it.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Can I be the oddball and say I *love* my travel system? Zach tends to fall asleep every time he gets in the car, and it's nice to be able to just take out the whole car seat and snap it onto the stroller and let him snooze through the store. Once I tried to take him out of his car seat to go into the store, and I'll never. do. that. again. It was terrible... letting him snooze through all or part of it is SO helpful for getting through it.

I bought the convertible crib, but can't really give an opinion since Zach is still in his bassinet.

My mom used to have an in-home daycare and gave me her old changing table (I painted it bright orange to match the nursery) and it has worked really well- it only has one drawer (and some lower shelves). The lower shelves house spare blankets, toys that are the right age level/size for him now (in a basket), towels, washcloths, bath stuff. The drawer holds some diapers and a new package of wipes in case the ones sitting on the table run out (since I keep the large boxes and everything in the top of the closet). I also keep his little baggie of personal care items in the drawer (toothbrushes for different age/teeth stages, nail trimmers, nail files, hairbrush, comb, etc). At night, after bath times, we go through the whole process of brushing gums and hair, and about twice a week we trim the nails and toenails, so it's nice to have that all RIGHT there for post-bath... that's why I like having a changing table separate from my dresser. I keep the dresser inside the closet- we only have an upper railing, then dead space, and since little bitty clothes don't hang down too far, it's not a problem to hang important things (special outfits, heavy coats, etc) on the top railing and keep everything else in the dresser underneath (onesies, etc).

I also couldn't live without baskets and bins for organizing his room-- I keep socks in a basket on the dresser, I keep toys in bins and baskets by age level/skill level so we can just pull out a basket when he needs a few new toys to keep his interest.

As for a Pack N Play, I have one, haven't used it yet. Zach's only 3 months old, so who knows if I'll use it when he's more mobile, but I prefer exersaucers for that sort of thing (play here while I go wash dishes quickly), because they tend to stay entertained longer, and an exersaucer is a little harder to escape from... but, the downside of an exersaucer is, you can't keep them in that as long as a pack n play (in terms of age/size). Also, when he is sleeping, right now he's small enough to snooze in his bouncy chair, so a lot of times if I need to leave the room, I strap him into that... When he gets older, that may change.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 10-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have time to read all the replies right now, but safety experts recommend an infant-only carseat rather than a convertible for infants. My favorite infant car seats are the larger sized Graco ones that are good until about 12 months. The smaller ones they grow out of around 5-6 months, but at that age they're still falling asleep in the car and it's nice to still be able to transfer them in the seat. I hated the travel system. I was much happier using a lighter weight stroller (Mine is a Combi) or stroller base (I had the Graco one) that could hold the infant seat.

As far as cribs, it depends on how many you plan to have. We bought 1 set of nursery furniture (non-convertible crib, dresser with changing table pad on top, and rocker) that we passed from 1 child to another. We bought each of them their permanent furniture when they were about 2 and ready to move to a big bed. For 3 or more kids that's great, but if we were only having 2 convertible cribs might have made more sense.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The problem is that there's just way too much choice! I spent about 6 months panicking about what stroller I should buy. I kid you not. I compared, read reviews, read opinions of other moms in forums, asked family and friends,... In the end I decided on a Bugaboo. I'm still VERY happy with it. Being a European I'm not sure if this helps, if you even have that brand in the States!
I do have to add it also depends on where you live. That stroller was really awesome in the city, but now that we live in the country it sometimes is a bit of a pain to ride on sandy roads.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

no kids for me. but...

when my niece was born, they did the convertible crib thing. she's now nine, and is in the full-size bed that it turned into. i think it's a great investment. my aunt and uncle who have 3 year old twins, they didn't get two brand new cribs because they couldn't afford it. but my aunt wishes she had, just to be able to have the convertible option. since they had to buy two new toddler beds. and will have to buy beds again once the twins grow out of them.

a pack and play is a great investment, since it doubles as a bed if you're going away. i think my aunt brought one everywhere when the twins were newborns. they HATED their carseats to sleep in. same with a bouncy seat. allie (twin a) LOVED hers. she slept in hers a lot, due to acid reflux issues (poor thing has digestive problems, and couldn't sleep laying down for the first year).

and, a silly little thing that my mom ALWAYS buys for new moms is a dishwasher basket. keeps all the nipples/tops to bottles in one place. it goes right on the top rack of the dishwasher. (:

Old 10-17-2011, 05:58 PM

profile gallery send pm

I have a girlfriend whose FAVORITE shower gift is the dishwasher basket, lol. Every single person she's given it to has thanked her profusely afterwards.

I'm wandering around the websites now looking at the stroller options. I know that I need to really narrow things down before I take DH over there, or his head will explode, lol.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

LOOOVED the Pack n Play

it's also great for naps when the baby is little so you don't have to take him/her to the bedroom every time the baby falls asleep. Also as a crafter you can set it up in your craft room with some toys as he/she gets a tad older and let the baby play in a secure spot without little hands wandering and getting into everything... (this post woulda been tons easier if you knew what gender you were having )

Somebody should throw you just a gift card shower So you can buy the more $$$ gifts that YOU want (carseats, furniture, etc) since chances are nobody is going to splurge on those items unless they go in together. You'll have a better chance of getting enough $$ in GC's to buy what you really desire

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 10-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My girls are now 9 and 12 so take my advice with that in mind. I used the travel system with both my kids and it was a life saver. I loved being able to just lift the seat and click it into the stroller and go. Plus my girls both liked sitting in the car seat in the house, especially at first. We got a second base that we kept in DH's car so it was easy to click and go no matter which one of us had the baby.

When they got to 1 we went with the larger car seat that coverts eventually to the booster without the 5 point harness. Getting one that has a tricky locking system is a must otherwise 3 yo's can get themselves out when you don't want them too. We ended up buying 2 seats, one for each car so when we had two in the 5 point harness we just moved the extra one into my car.

I got a girly diaper bag that I used, but more often than not we used a non descript diaper bag that DH was okay with carrying. For my first the swing was an essential. DH couldn't watch her without putting her in the swing. LOL! With my second we had a bouncy seat that vibrated that was a life saver. You probably don't need both and used is totally okay for these kinds of things because the time you need it is short.

I used a boppy to nurse and then the girls used them when they would lay on the couch or floor as they got older.

For a changing table I used a long dresser that we got used. The drawers were awesome for holding their clothes and the diaper stuff and it was all within arms reach. It's something that can grow up with them and doesn't look like baby furniture. My SIL got a long dresser from IKEA to use and it's worked great for her so far too! I had one of those molded changing pads and I kept the felt covered pee pads on it over the changing pad covers (pillow cases work really well too in a pinch) for accidents (much easier to clean). I did the same in the crib so if we had a leaky diaper I could life out the pee pad and not have to change the sheets.

I used lots and lots of the receiving blankets (like 3-4 a day). WE also had the pack and play bassinett which is awesome to put by your bed vs. co-sleeping. And it's great to take with you places as you have everything you need with the new ones.

I know it's a lot of equipment. I wish I would have bought more of mine used, but we had generous friends and family so we were pretty lucky.

I'm sure you'll work out your own system for things and really it's almost better to get the basics and then ask for money to get the other stuff so you can try things out before you get a lot of them.

Don't forget to invest in good nursing bras (if you plan to nurse) and nursing pads. Plus a cover if you think you'll be shy in public (I used receiving blankets).

good luck Col! Having a baby is such an adventure. You really don't realize until they are older how fast the baby stage goes by. So even though during it you are pulling your hair out try to stop and remember that it's only a few years and then you never wil have to go through this again with this child (well until they are a teenager, but that's a whole nother thread!).
Old 10-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

With my son we had a convertable crib. He was in the 'crib' for about 2 1/2 years. Then the 'toddler bed part' for another 6 months. I used a changing table as the dresser for all that time.

Then, after that I bought him big kid furniture that he'll have until he moves out of the house. A big sturdy wooden dresser and a wooden bed. The bed can have toddler rails on it (which he still uses), but the height can be adjusted as he grows (we can even by a piece that makes it to a captains bed when the time comes). It also seems as if it's a longish twin too. This is the company I used for the big kid furniture (not sure if you could get this overseas) http://www.youngamerica.com/

Travel system: I used an infant car seat, then bought a bigger seat at about age 7 months. He grew out of that at about age 4, so now I have a seat that takes a lap belt/shoulder belt with a back. When he is tall enough the back can come off and he'll just be in a booster.

When he was an infant I used a 'snap-n-go' fold up frame that the infant car seat clipped onto. Then I had a peg-perego stroller that was fine, but didn't work too well in my exercise classes, so after a year or so of that, I bought a nice jogging stroller with a swivel wheel. That was wonderful! Now we could run/walk/exercise together. It's bulky, but a joy to push!
Old 10-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
We are planning on cloth diapering too, so that's a whole other research/thread topic, LOL!

I love seeing the differences in what people love, and what people don't use. Very interesting for sure.
I think there are some cloth diaper gals here on this board that should be able to give you some info!
Old 10-17-2011, 06:53 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
LOOOVED the Pack n Play

it's also great for naps when the baby is little so you don't have to take him/her to the bedroom every time the baby falls asleep. Also as a crafter you can set it up in your craft room with some toys as he/she gets a tad older and let the baby play in a secure spot without little hands wandering and getting into everything... (this post woulda been tons easier if you knew what gender you were having )

Somebody should throw you just a gift card shower So you can buy the more $$$ gifts that YOU want (carseats, furniture, etc) since chances are nobody is going to splurge on those items unless they go in together. You'll have a better chance of getting enough $$ in GC's to buy what you really desire
I know, I know. I'm ruining so many lives by not finding out the gender!!
Luckily, I have 2 groups of girlfriends who might go in on stuff together. My parents are going to buy the crib, and I'm pretty sure my in-laws plan on buying one of the other big ticket items too (my MIL tried to buy us a crib and I had to tell her my mom beat her to it, LOL!). MIL is thinking of the stroller or carseat or travel system, or whatever. So that's going to be SUPER helpful. As long as we get the crib, a carseat, and a stroller, I'll be content. The nursery is small and so is our house, so I'm not REALLY looking forward to all the crap that comes with baby, lol!
Old 10-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I can't believe you didn't use your changing table guys! I still use Landen's everyday and he is 7! Not to change him but it has the baskets for his socks and underwear in it and I keep his shoes in it...
Old 10-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's so crazy the things people say you'll use and say you won't! There is SUCH a variation from parent to parent. For example, Juli used a lot of receiving blankets... I did for about the first week and a half, and then Zach was done with that. He has two thin blankets and two thick ones that are a little larger that he keeps with him during the day, and we just tuck him REALLY well at night or put him in pants to sleep in with no blanket... but he hates being swaddled or wrapped anymore.

I personally use both the swing and the bouncy chair a LOT. But Zach loves both. Some babies hate swings, some hate bouncers, some hate BOTH. It's so tricky to decide! I bought a swing that converts into a high chair and infant/toddler chairs, too, so I wouldn't have been upset if he weren't a swing boy, and the bouncy chair was from when mom did daycare, so I also wouldn't have been upset if he didn't use that. I guess I got lucky.

A lot of it is hard because every baby is different. I was lucky to have my baby right after garage sale season, so not only did I get a ton of stuff cheap from garage sales, but a few ladies I'm friends with gave me anything that didn't sell. It wasn't as upsetting as if I had spent a lot of money on things that he didn't use.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 10-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I know, I know. I'm ruining so many lives by not finding out the gender!!
haha!! I got SOOOO many comments when I was pregnant with my first about how "difficult" I was to shop for because we didn't find out what we were having. Towards the end I was getting REALLY sick and crabby of people harassing me about it, as if my choice should have been based on what would make THEIR lives easier. Now I can laugh about it but when I was pregnant and hormonal, it made me so grrr! It's SUCH a fun surprise though!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 10-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaCola3 View Post
I can't believe you didn't use your changing table guys! I still use Landen's everyday and he is 7! Not to change him but it has the baskets for his socks and underwear in it and I keep his shoes in it...
Thank you for saying "not to change him" because I was really like LOL
Old 10-17-2011, 11:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have the travel system and really liked it. Now that they're recommending they stay backwards-facing for another year, make sure it can carry that much weight, but I think 18-24 months of daily use makes the price worth it. We still use the big stroller now when we go to places like the zoo, etc. where I want her contained so that I can get her from place to place without dawdling and can throw my bag underneath and my drink in the holder. We also have an umbrella stroller which they can't use until they're older, but is what I use when we're going someplace, but not spending all day there and it'll be crowded i.e. the farmers' market on Saturday mornings.

We have a convertible crib which we haven't converted yet, so I can't advise you there. I think that Monkey will like that it still looks/feels like her bed when the time comes, kwim? We also had a small floor swing that she slept in A LOT the first three months of her life.

We don't have a playpen, but my parents and ILs do which we use when she sleeps over there. When she was little, I would either sling her or she would sleep in her crib or swing, and I didn't see a need for one when she was older and became mobile. We also did not buy a full-fledged highchair, either, but a booster seat with tray that sits on top of a dining room chair. Not only was this MUCH cheaper, but we loved that it was portable so we could take it with us to my parents' or his parents' houses. Now she's old enough to scootch up to the table with no tray and eat like a big gurl at mealtime. Her crib was the only special furniture we bought for her, so her 'changing table' is just a bureau with a changing pad on the top and the rocking chair in her room is a hand me down from Jeff's grandfather.

Since you plan on having more children, I would suggest that anything that costs over $40 you buy in a neutral pattern that would work for both genders unless you won't mind having to correct everyone who encounters you carrying your little boy around in a bright pink flowered carseat.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I have a girlfriend whose FAVORITE shower gift is the dishwasher basket, lol. Every single person she's given it to has thanked her profusely afterwards.
it's one of the things that people don't think of. mom's always like, "they didn't have them when i had ashley. and then i got one when i had geoff. and it was the greatest thing ever." when she gives them. that, and bottle brushes. she's weird..

i also agree with leeandra about the neutral colors on stuff that will be used over and over with other kids (if you plan on having more). there's nothing like a bright pink carseat when you have a baby boy... my cousin had that issue.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We still use that dishwasher basket...it's perfect for putting lids and little things inside.

The other great gifts (although they were minor) were Boudreaux's Butt Paste and GAS DROPS (don't know how many bottles we went through!)
Old 10-18-2011, 08:17 AM

profile gallery send pm

Everything will be as neutral as possible since we're not finding out the sex. That way it'll all be use-able no matter what sex baby 1/2/3 are.

EX: Friends of ours are due in December and also not finding out. They had their shower recently and got this PNP, which I rather like the colors of. Neutral enough for my tastes, but not all brown or black.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...llingItem=true

Last edited by ColleenSwerb; 10-18-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:18 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Col, for starting this thread and for the ladies who're being so helpful! I'll keep an eye on this so that I know what I need to get when the time comes...
Old 10-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The best gift I got during my shower was a gift that had gas drops in it. I had never thought to purchase them, but that first night Zach had serious tummy troubles, it was a life saver. It was about 2am, all the stores were closed, he threw up, and was fussy and kept pulling his legs in like his tummy hurt. One dose of those and within 5 minutes, he was snoozing fine. I'm not sure how we would have made it through the night without the gas drops!

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 10-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We love our Baby Trends jogger stroller + the Safety 1st car seat that clips into it! The jogger is sooo much easier to push around than an umbrella stroller, but it does take up much more space. You can also switch it from a jogger (where the front wheel doesn't turn) to a walker where it turns on a dime, making it perfect for crowded places too. I love our infant seat's adjustable sun shade. It's only attached to the base where it swivels, so you can move it wherever it needs to be for the sun or even to keep your baby asleep by removing stimulation. I like the infant carrier, even though it doesn't even last our babies a whole year, because I feel like carrying it inside from the car keeps the baby's temperature from making drastic changes of hot and cold. Our babies have been very temperature sensitive, so being able to carry the car seat inside makes a huge difference. I hate carrying it around though, so I ditch it as soon as possible. Then we switched to a convertible car seat to extend the time rear-facing. I love our combination even more the 2nd time around! My 2-year old loves to stand on the end of the stroller, so it acts like a double when he feels like it. The wheels are manly enough that they can take any terrain, and we even stroll it up and down stairs holding the front wheel up.

If you aren't planning on co-sleeping, I highly recommend the book The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems. For moms like me who just can't stand to let a baby cry it out, but can't sleep a wink if holding a baby, it's perfect. It helps you teach your baby to fall asleep on their own, but with you their guiding them the whole time. We didn't start it with DS until he was 9 months old, and life was HARD. DD we started right away, and my MIL helped me work on getting her feeds stretched out to 3 hours during that first month, and I never realized that life with a newborn could actually be easy and fairly wellested. DH and I call it the engineer's guide to babies, because no baby is the same, but she teaches you how to learn your specific baby and from using other examples you are able to find what will work for your baby. It's seriously amazing!

And Jenni, I can't believe you don't live with a receiving blanket on your shoulder! We use them for everything BUT receiving (our muslin wraps are for that). They make the best rags for spit up. My baby is 4.5 months and still spits up sooo much. Between that and the drool she soaked a bib in 2 hours this morning. Those small receiving blankets are amazing for spit rags and to lay the baby's head on so you aren't constantly changing sheets (or even lay their bums on them for when they get all of the baby blow-outs that are just inevitable the first few months). I thought we received WAY too many for DS, but it turned out that they were what limited our laundry, and I knew it was time to do laundry when I was almost out of receiving blankets.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I rarely used the receiving blankets either...thankfully I didn't get many of them.
We used them to swaddle Rachel for a few weeks...we were blessed that she slept peacefully in her crib from the day we brought her home, and was sleeping through the night within two weeks.