Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 11-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb
Default I. Love. CS5.

So really, I don't use CS5 to it's full extent. I'm FULLY aware of this. But as I was editing this photo it occurred to me that structure on the left hand side was really pretty distracting, and adding nothing to the image. The following 2 shots have the EXACT same settings. The only difference is that I used the gloriousness of content-aware fill to remove that annoying ticket-type structure on the left side. Color me happy.

Original

Fixed

And for those that are curious, I did my basic edits in LR2 and then used TRA's Oh Snap!, Big Blue, and Green with Envy actions.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:52 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

That change does add a lot to the photo. Good job!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

wowza!

Old 11-21-2011, 11:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I really need to just put my big girl panties on and jump into CS5. It is loaded. Laura W has even walked me through it a couple of times. I am just stuck in my comfort zone of PSE9. I may need some therapy. LOL
Old 11-21-2011, 11:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

With a living room commonly filled with random toys...content-aware fill has become a very good friend. Great photo and editing!
Old 11-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracotta7 View Post
I really need to just put my big girl panties on and jump into CS5. It is loaded. Laura W has even walked me through it a couple of times. I am just stuck in my comfort zone of PSE9. I may need some therapy. LOL
Yes you do
Old 11-21-2011, 11:36 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I've heard that there are some pretty amazing things coming from Adobe for future releases of Photoshop - like stuff to fix blurry images. Wouldn't that be amazing! I'm still on CS3, and I'll probably wait for the next version before I upgrade again, but I seem to have a talent for upgrading right before a new version comes out. But, I'm definitely drooling over CS5. Definitely.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The only reason I switched to CS5!! Without content aware I'd still be editing pictures from last year!!
Old 11-22-2011, 12:01 AM

profile gallery send pm

Lydia, I think I read on Scott Kelby's blog there are going to be issues with upgrading from older versions once CS6 comes out (supposedly next year). You might want to look into that!

Tara, are you for reals? Why on earth would you spend that kinda money and then not use it?? There are plenty of us around to help you help if need help with something. Get those big girl panties on and DO IT ALREADY!
Old 11-22-2011, 12:16 AM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
Lydia, I think I read on Scott Kelby's blog there are going to be issues with upgrading from older versions once CS6 comes out (supposedly next year). You might want to look into that!
I've never actually done that upgrade thing. I always end up skipping a few versions, so I can't really do the upgrades. AND, when I went to CS3, it was a prize that hubby won at a work raffle. You can't beat FREE! The next time I buy, I want the whole Suite, so I won't just be upgrading - just buying the whole thing. Luckily, DH works for the University here, so I can get Academic pricing.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:30 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

yep Col, ever since I saw one of the first images you posted using this tool I was hooked! I don't use it alot, but I LOVE it when I need it!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
So I hadn't heard about this but since I have CS3, I went and checked it out and now I'm annoyed. Way to screw everyone over Adobe. Guess that explains the 30% coupon I got in my email yesterday but now I'll pretty much have to upgrade twice - once to 5.5 and once to 6 to stay current. Would have been nice if they'd announced it when 5 came out so we all had some warning.

Although I suppose getting access to content aware fill and the puppet tool would be nice, haha.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
So I hadn't heard about this but since I have CS3, I went and checked it out and now I'm annoyed. Way to screw everyone over Adobe. Guess that explains the 30% coupon I got in my email yesterday but now I'll pretty much have to upgrade twice - once to 5.5 and once to 6 to stay current. Would have been nice if they'd announced it when 5 came out so we all had some warning.

Although I suppose getting access to content aware fill and the puppet tool would be nice, haha.
That's very, very unfair to all users who have genuinely bought the product. I have CS4 and even though my income is very nice, I didn't see the reason to upgrade to the next version (200 EUR for an upgrade is outrageous IMHO), I wanted to wait until CS6 at least to make it seem reasonable in my eyes. What a policy. Photoshop is a great product, but Adobe... is not that great as a company.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:38 AM

profile gallery send pm

I only saw what Kelby wrote in his letter to Adobe. I have 5, but I don't know f I'm eligible to upgrade either? Lol! Either way, it's total crap and really Puts a lot of people in a bad position. I think most will just make do instead of upgrading twice like that. I know I would. They absolutely should have made decision at the beginning with 5, or do it now starting with 6 when it comes out, like Kelby said. To just throw this on people now, especially in this economy, just isn't a smart business decision in my eyes. ::shrugs::
Old 11-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i have it i just need to install it. maybe over the weekend.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianka View Post
That's very, very unfair to all users who have genuinely bought the product. I have CS4 and even though my income is very nice, I didn't see the reason to upgrade to the next version (200 EUR for an upgrade is outrageous IMHO), I wanted to wait until CS6 at least to make it seem reasonable in my eyes. What a policy. Photoshop is a great product, but Adobe... is not that great as a company.
This was me too. I had thought about upgrading to CS5 and never got around to it so I figured I'd wait for CS6 since it should be coming next year. But now I guess I don't have that option? Even more annoying is I have the full Creative Suite so it's like $500 for me to upgrade right now even with the 30% discount.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I only saw what Kelby wrote in his letter to Adobe. I have 5, but I don't know f I'm eligible to upgrade either? Lol! Either way, it's total crap and really Puts a lot of people in a bad position. I think most will just make do instead of upgrading twice like that. I know I would. They absolutely should have made decision at the beginning with 5, or do it now starting with 6 when it comes out, like Kelby said. To just throw this on people now, especially in this economy, just isn't a smart business decision in my eyes. ::shrugs::
From what I've read at other sources, you are eligible if you have 5. You are not if you have 4 or under. The in-betweens (like 5.5) seem not to count.

What this means for me is to wait until version 7 or 8 and buy the whole thing again (the full version = approximately the price of 3 or 4 upgrades). How uncool. I was really looking forward to 6, it was going to be my reward for patiently waiting and skipping 5.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
This was me too. I had thought about upgrading to CS5 and never got around to it so I figured I'd wait for CS6 since it should be coming next year. But now I guess I don't have that option? Even more annoying is I have the full Creative Suite so it's like $500 for me to upgrade right now even with the 30% discount.
Me exactly, minus the Creative Suite. :-)

Totally customer-unfriendly, especially for personal-use people. I'm not a teacher, I'm not a student, I don't have children who study or family members who teach (and honestly, buying licences on your 5-year-olds kind of stretches it in my view), I can't write the cost off tax, so thank you, Adobe.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
This is from Adobe:
Quote:
“For customers who prefer to remain on the current licensing model, we will continue to offer our individual point products and Adobe Creative Suite editions as perpetual licenses. With regards to upgrades, we are changing our policy for perpetual license customers. In order to qualify for upgrade pricing when CS6 releases, customers will need to be on the latest version of our software (either CS5 or CS5.5 editions). If our customers are not yet on those versions, we’re offering a 20% discount through December 31, 2011 which will qualify them for upgrade pricing when we release CS6.”
So basically, if you have CS5 or 5.5 you'll be able to upgrade for a discount but if you don't upgrade to CS6, you'll have to pay full price for CS7 or later. Which I know most people here have access to student pricing so they probably don't care, haha, but I don't, so paying full price for me sucks.

And I agree with a lot of people making do with what they've got, which if you've got CS5, would totally work. The issue for me is CS3 is old and I suspect Mac OS Lion will be the last version that will support it, so eventually I'll have no choice but to upgrade. Really it might not matter for me since I knew upgrading from CS3 to CS6 would be expensive anyway, it's just forcing the issue sooner than I had planned.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Me exactly, minus the Creative Suite. :-)

Totally customer-unfriendly, especially for personal-use people. I'm not a teacher, I'm not a student, I don't have children who study or family members who teach (and honestly, buying licences on your 5-year-olds kind of stretches it in my view), I can't write the cost off tax, so thank you, Adobe.
Haha yeah, I've always been amazed Adobe allowed school-age children to count.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Haha yeah, I've always been amazed Adobe allowed school-age children to count.
Glad I'm not the only one. :-) It would make so much more sense to sell a commercial and personal use version instead of the teacher/student stuff. *shrugs*

Old 11-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I bought CS4 two weeks before they announced CS5... I know, I should have done a little research. But I totally planned on skipping it and upgrading when CS6 came around. Now, I may just stick with CS4 for a few more years.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Isn't it fun how this policy will make people buy less? That's what I call a success. :-)

Old 11-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Glad I'm not the only one. :-) It would make so much more sense to sell a commercial and personal use version instead of the teacher/student stuff. *shrugs*
I totally agree but I think the problem is there'd no way to police it but it's easy to check for a student ID.

Quote:
Isn't it fun how this policy will make people buy less? That's what I call a success. :-)
Pretty sure that's their goal though. They don't want you to buy the full version and use it for years, they want you to sign up for their new cloud-based monthly-fee subscription service instead. That's when they announced the upgrade policy changes.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I totally agree but I think the problem is there'd no way to police it but it's easy to check for a student ID.
True. However, I'd say there's no need to police anything. It's selfegulatory. You either are the type who buys software or you aren't. If you are the type, most probably you won't lie about the use. Well, maybe you will, but I tend to think it works as described. :-)

Adobe doesn't live from personal-use clients, which is probably why they are so heavily ignored.

Quote:
Pretty sure that's their goal though. They don't want you to buy the full version and use it for years, they want you to sign up for their new cloud-based monthly-fee subscription service instead. That's when they announced the upgrade changes.
I think you're right. The "use and throw away" mindset that is so obvious these days. There I'm going philosophical. :-)

Old 11-22-2011, 01:27 PM

profile gallery send pm

Now that I'm using it for business, Jordan's already mentioned I shouldn't be using the student version and should re-buy/upgrade. So all of this may be moot for me anyway, since I'd need to buy the regular version anyway instead of upgrading from student to commercial. Or at least I assume that's what I'd need to do. Which means I'll def need to save up.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Now that I'm using it for business, Jordan's already mentioned I shouldn't be using the student version and should re-buy/upgrade. So all of this may be moot for me anyway, since I'd need to buy the regular version anyway instead of upgrading from student to commercial. Or at least I assume that's what I'd need to do. Which means I'll def need to save up.
See? It's selfegulatory. It works without Adobe playing the police. Once you use PS for business, you buy the commercial one. I think the majority of legal PS users are like this.... and that's why I think a personal-use version would be so great (for me, that is). :-)

Old 11-22-2011, 02:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Col, Adobe doesn't have any restrictions for commercial use on the student version. This is from the Adobe FAQ:

Quote:
Can I use my Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software for commercial use?
Yes. You may purchase a Student and Teacher Edition for personal as well as commercial use.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
See? It's selfegulatory. It works without Adobe playing the police. Once you use PS for business, you buy the commercial one. I think the majority of legal PS users are like this.... and that's why I think a personal-use version would be so great (for me, that is). :-)
Except that Adobe doesn't limit commercial use on the student version. If they thought they could make more money that way, I suspect they would but I don't think they want the hassle of it. That's just my opinion though.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Except that Adobe doesn't limit commercial use on the student version. If they thought they could make more money that way, I suspect they would but I don't think they want the hassle of it. That's just my opinion though.
I didn't know that! Now it's even more hilarious that people can buy it on their kids and then use it commercially. LOL.

I still think they wouldn't lose anything, since they live off companies, not individuals, but what I think doesn't matter much, since I have no say in it all. :-)

Old 11-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Col, Adobe doesn't have any restrictions for commercial use on the student version. This is from the Adobe FAQ:
You've just saved Col a lot of money. :-)

Old 11-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I didn't know that! Now it's even more hilarious that people can buy it on their kids and then use it commercially. LOL.

I still think they wouldn't lose anything, since they live off companies, not individuals, but what I think doesn't matter much, since I have no say in it all. :-)
Haha, agreed.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well I have no guilt in buying the student/teacher version... Even if I wasn't a homeschooler because I'm still a teacher to my child and I use it for teaching tools and to make school projects for the kids... Plus I let Moriah scrap too... I learned so much on PSE that I got frustrated with it's limitations... I was literally counting down the days I could finally buy it... Which would have never happened as a SAHM who pinches pennies so I can stay home with my kids and homeschool them.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:20 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
You've just saved Col a lot of money. :-)
Jordan will be VERY PLEASED! Lol!! Thanks Lynnette!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergw View Post
Well I have no guilt in buying the student/teacher version... Even if I wasn't a homeschooler because I'm still a teacher to my child and I use it for teaching tools and to make school projects for the kids... Plus I let Moriah scrap too... I learned so much on PSE that I got frustrated with it's limitations... I was literally counting down the days I could finally buy it... Which would have never happened as a SAHM who pinches pennies so I can stay home with my kids and homeschool them.
You have absolutely no reason to feel guilt. Adobe allows for it, you would be foolish not to makes use of it, what with the price we're talking about. :-)

Old 11-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

ummm. freaking brilliant!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, because of Colleen, I googled how to used this tool and HOLY COW! I have this adorable picture kids but it had a clorox wipes container in the background that was bugging me....voila, IT'S GONE!
Old 11-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm honestly really pissed about this. I'd planned on asking for the upgrade to CS6 as a birthday gift next year, since I got CS4 only a few weeks after it came out. we don't have the budget to get an upgrade to 5 right now, and we sure won't be able to afford buying the full version next year since we don't have anyone in school to get the student version. I guess I'm stuck on CS4 now.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think the whole thing is stupid! Grrrr Adobe. I have CS3 and I try to stretch out the upgrades. I guess I'll be looking at a student version of CS5 soon. I wish I didn't love the software so much.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think I've come to a decision. I'll buy the CS5 upgrade because I like the content-aware thingy and the puppet warp, and I skip CS6.