Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2010, 07:59 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Default Smugmug Vs Flickr: Privacy setting

I know this is already been discussed, but I haven't found what I was really looking for, so maybe you ladies can help me..
I've been trying out Smugmug for a little, and kinda liked it, now my fre trial expired, and I'm wondering if I should get the paid basic account or get a pro account with Flickr (I already have a basic free with Flickr, and like that too..).
What I really need, is a place where I can store (as a 3rd backup) tons of pictures and show them to friends and family in a easy way. I know I can do this with both Smugmumg and Flickr, but what I'm really concerned is privacy.

Is it possibile with Smugmug to list a gallery as Unlisted and between those picture to list some private?? For ex: I have a gallery with my pictures from a trip in London, I want this unlisted, so I can show it just giving the url to my friends, but I don't want them to see some of those pictures (maybe too private, just for family). Is this possibile? or do i need to make 2 gallery (a private and an unlisted?). I know I can do this with flickr, just if you want a gallery to be private, your friends will need an yahoo account, which is not always possible.
Not sure if this makes sense... lol
so, any tips?! Thanks laides!

All About ME
Old 07-31-2010, 08:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I have smugmug as my main backup & it's my understanding that the gallery itself sets the privacy level, so I think you would have to have two galleries if you just want some of a gallery available. There is no setting I have found to set the privacy level of an individual photo. But it is easy to put a photo in multiple galleries so you can have a copy of it in each family & friends
Old 07-31-2010, 09:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbina View Post
I know this is already been discussed, but I haven't found what I was really looking for, so maybe you ladies can help me..
I've been trying out Smugmug for a little, and kinda liked it, now my fre trial expired, and I'm wondering if I should get the paid basic account or get a pro account with Flickr (I already have a basic free with Flickr, and like that too..).
What I really need, is a place where I can store (as a 3rd backup) tons of pictures and show them to friends and family in a easy way. I know I can do this with both Smugmumg and Flickr, but what I'm really concerned is privacy.

Is it possibile with Smugmug to list a gallery as Unlisted and between those picture to list some private?? For ex: I have a gallery with my pictures from a trip in London, I want this unlisted, so I can show it just giving the url to my friends, but I don't want them to see some of those pictures (maybe too private, just for family). Is this possibile? or do i need to make 2 gallery (a private and an unlisted?). I know I can do this with flickr, just if you want a gallery to be private, your friends will need an yahoo account, which is not always possible.
I have no real proof, but I think you can do that with Flickr, as you can do the setting for each picture separately. I've seen people's galleries where I see some pics, still some other in that same gallery can't be viewed unless I log in, so I gues it can be done.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:14 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I know it can be donne with flickr, but you need to have an yahoo id to' see them.. And noone of my friends or family have it..

All About ME
Old 07-31-2010, 12:19 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I use smugmug and prefer it over flickr. I like the privacy settings but I like even more the way to upload and display photos. Its just easier and nicer IMO.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:02 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbina View Post
I don't know about Smugmug, but you can do this with Flickr using a Guest Pass. For example, to do what you have listed here, you would upload all your London photos into a new set - say 'London Photos' and put the privacy level (i.e. visible to family, friends, or private) on each photo when you upload it or right after you upload it. Then when you view the 'London Photos' set, you have an option under 'share this' to grab the link to the set. Clicking on that shows you a link to the set, but if there are photos in the set that aren't visible to everyone, then it also gives you the option to add a Guest Pass. When generating a guest pass, you can select whether it should include the ability to see photos marked as family, friends, or private (or any combination of the three). The guest pass is just a URL that you can then share with anyone - they don't have to have a yahoo account to use it. Effectively, it's just a URL to only those photos that fit the privacy criteria, and anyone who has that URL can view those photos. You can create more than one guest pass (i.e. URL) for a set, so you could generate one guest pass that allows viewing photos visible to family and friends, and another that only allows viewing photos visible to friends. Here is a link to the Flickr FAQ page that has more info on sharing and guest passes.

I think you can only do a guest pass at the photo or set level, so if you have different sets you want to share, you'll have to generate a guest pass for each set. I don't know if this option is available with the free Flickr account (I use a pro account), but you'd probably need a pro account to make it work well since I don't think you can have more than a few sets with just the free account.

I hope that isn't more confusing than helpful. I upload all my photos as private and use the guest pass links all the time to share photos with family and it has worked really well.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Smugmug has a Hide Photo option.
http://www.smugmug.com/help/hide-photos
Old 08-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I didnt know about the flickr guest pass option... Seems interesting. And looking at the hide pict option with smugmug now.. That may just work like a charm, for my needs. Thanks for the help, ladies. I knew you would have had the answer!!

All About ME