Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Couch to 5k anyone?

I've been threatening to start this for like 2 years now, I really need to get to it. The weather is perfect for outside running, so now is a good time.

Anyone wanna start with me? I'm thinking Monday (I have soccer tomorrow, so that'll be plenty of running for that day LOL).

I'm WAY the "couch" end. So don't feel like you have to be a runner to do this. I'm like 50lbs overweight and almost dead. :P

Here's a link in case you are wondering wth I'm talking about.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
Old 09-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I just started running again in June. I go everyday for a mile. I didn't read the link, but I love running so much again that I would love to help motivate.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

that's really cool! i may consider it! i really need to get off my bum!
Old 09-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

My youngest DD is turning one in a couple of weeks & I so want to lose the rest of the baby weight. I have this website bookmarked & have been running off & on for about 1 month. I am up to 3 miles. My problem is consistency. Last week I ran 5 days & this week I haven't ran at all. So I am in...I want to keep at it!
Old 09-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Thank you for posting this link.. I was really curious about this. My ds#2 turned a month old on Wednesday and I really want to get the rest of his pregnancy weight plus the weight I gained with ds#1 off for good. I'd be interested in doing this with you.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Woot! Yay! Ok so Monday morning I'll post again
Old 09-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That sounds good. I've been trying to get better about walking on the treadmill - right now I'm averaging 1-2 times per week for 30 minutes per time. Having a plan would be a step in the right direction for me.

But I have a really stupid question for treadmill people out there. In the plan it says jogging - how fast would a jog be on the treadmill? I walk comfortably at 3.0 and 3.5 is a fast walk for me. Any thoughts?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think it's more important to be moving than it is how fast you're going.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:57 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

miss shawna did/does that .. she looks AMAZING I considered it.. but, I have no one to watch the monkey while I take off
Old 09-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherKS View Post
That sounds good. I've been trying to get better about walking on the treadmill - right now I'm averaging 1-2 times per week for 30 minutes per time. Having a plan would be a step in the right direction for me.

But I have a really stupid question for treadmill people out there. In the plan it says jogging - how fast would a jog be on the treadmill? I walk comfortably at 3.0 and 3.5 is a fast walk for me. Any thoughts?
I run at a 5.0 on the treadmill. But I think it is best to do whatever feels comfortable to you.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Here's some podcasts I found where they indicate when you're supposed to switch back and forth from walking to running. I'm not sure if I can do it without "my" music. I need Desmond from lost to come on in the middle of the music on my mp3 player and tell me when to change. I'd do it, then. LOL

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcas...ategory-7.html

http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html
Old 09-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Count me in!
Old 09-08-2008, 06:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Today's Monday! Is everyone ready to run???

Here's our plan for today (and the other 2 days this week):

Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

According to my calculations, that's 8 walks/8 jogs.

Don't forget to stretch!!!!

Report back after your run! I'm going to go around 8:30 when the kids leave for school.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I did it! And I was super sore still from soccer on Saturday (that was a lot of S words lol), so it was a challenge for sure.

I was too lazy to time my increments so I just used laps. I did my 5 minute warm up, then I ran 1/8 mile, walked 1/8 mile, etc until I used up my playlist (which was 25 minutes - 5 for the warm up and 20 for the run/walk). I ended up doing about 8 laps - so 2 miles, 1 mile of each. Not bad! It wasn't easy but I didn't want to die or anything. It was actually nice to be outside and all alone and peaceful.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

*ahem*

Did you all flake out on me already?
Old 09-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Shoot, I didn't see this until Tuesday! But I'm snagging the podcast right now!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just ordered a Nike+. I'm either going to end up impressed with how far/fast I've gone, or very disappointed. LOL
Old 09-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherKS View Post

that sounds like me and my jog is a 4.2, which I realize is how fast some people walk . .. but gotta start somewhere. I think they say that if you can't talk while running, you're going too fast.

kudos to all of you doing this. I may have to attempt for a 3rd time. That 4th week is a major challenge for me. i'm sick of the Ullrey podcast though. guess I'd have to time myself . . .
Old 09-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meems View Post
kudos to all of you doing this. I may have to attempt for a 3rd time. That 4th week is a major challenge for me. i'm sick of the Ullrey podcast though. guess I'd have to time myself . . .
This is SO me. I've finally just accepted that this program doesn't work for me. I like a bit more variety so by the time I get to where I should be starting week 4 I'm just bored with it. But I'll be here cheering on those who are doing it!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I did day 2 this morning. It was harder than last time for some reason even though I did the exact same thing. But, I pushed through. I'm hoping it's going to get easier and less painful soon. LOL

And ladies, you can jump in any time - don't feel like we all have to be on the same day. Think of it more like a support group - a place to come say YAY ME I RAN A MILE or OMG I AM GOING TO CUT MY LEGS OFF TOMORROW.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm seriously considering it. Funny, its soccer that prompted it! My husband and I ended up having to coach our daughters soccer team. We are SO the opposite of what you think a coach should look like SO embarassing! I'm dreading practice tomorrow since I'm so out of shape!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't started yet. This week has just been crazy busy. Yikes. But I'm getting my butt on the treadmill this afternoon and I'll get started.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crecia27 View Post
I'm seriously considering it. Funny, its soccer that prompted it! My husband and I ended up having to coach our daughters soccer team. We are SO the opposite of what you think a coach should look like SO embarassing! I'm dreading practice tomorrow since I'm so out of shape!
Oh let me tell you - I coached 2 teams last season while I was about 80lbs overweight. LOL

Now I'm about 40 and playing on a team myself.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

WOOO!!! I'm just seeing this but I LOVE the couch to 5 k, and mr. robert ullery is my secret internet boyfriend (only he doesn't know about it! ) I have been doing the couch to 5k since like april or may... and I'm only on week 7, BUT I had to come to accept that as a wife/homemaker/mother to four/digi designer... that I can't ALWAYS stick to the program as much as I'd like... there are weeks I don't run (rare though) or weeks I can only run a day or two... and even weeks when i TRY to run, and I haven't eaten/slept as much as I should have and I end up walking.

BUT I'm getting better and better, and I feel more fit probably than I ever have in my life! I ran my first straight 25 mins last week and I thought i was going to cry with pride (it was about 2.5 miles, so I seriously kicked booty!). My body totally shows the difference too (heres a pic from the weight loss thread) - so if you are just starting, TRUST ME, its worth it!

Um a few tips I'd say are:

1- don't be too hard on yourself, if you need to take two weeks to adjust to one of the new increments than do it... this isn't a race, or some sort of time sensitive goal - instead it is about becoming a stronger person and a better runner.

2- eat and sleep! seriously, a new thing I'm learning about being a "runner" is that you NEED your calories and your rest to have the stamina to really run.... other wise you will kill yourself out there.

3- this one surprizes me every time... but sometimes I really struggle with a week, and repeat it and still feel discoraged because its still hard for me... but when I just move on to the next week, I surprize myself... It's like I got into a rut or something, and it makes a big difference to move forward and see what I'm capable of!

Running is seriously one of my new loves... it is amazing to like head off down the pavement AWAY from my house... I feel so free (if only for 35 mins! but still!) and it also gives me a real solid chunk of uninterupted time where I don't have to do anything but be with my own body and my own thoughts... I think it is better than any therapy I've been to

Good luck to those of you starting out! I'm rooting for you!!!

Maybe we need to have an ssd 5k run!!! LOL (all three of us or whatever )

Last edited by Shawna Clingerman; 09-10-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the tips, Shawna.

I finished week 1!

A few reasons this was a big accomplishment -

1. I'd convinced myself I didn't need to run all 3 days since I play soccer on Saturdays, but then I started to feel guilty about skipping a day and went anyway.

2. It was pouring rain today, which normally would be all the excuse I need to not go, but instead I went to the gym and ran on the indoor track (which is not my favorite).

3. I'm fat. A good 40, probably more like 60lbs overweight and a size 18. I am definitely not someone that runs. But, I DID IT!

I think I probably ran a little further today than the other 2 days because the indoor track is 1/10 mile vs 1/4 mile at the outdoor one and I think I overcompensated. LOL

Woo hoo, on to week 2!
Old 09-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

so encouraging ladies! i have started my eat right lifestyle change again and i'm going down too!! i really want to do this. i just need to dive in with both feet and not look back. NO EXCUSES!
Old 09-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Anyone out there???

Today I finished week 3, day 2. It's getting harder. LOL

I gotta say, though, last week at my soccer game I played the entire game without a sub and never ran out of steam. What an improvement already!!
Old 09-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I started this last winter and got to week 6 but then never finished... dumb. I've been thinking about starting it over. How are ya'll doing with this?
Old 09-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Ugh I've been sick the past week so I haven't been ablt to start week 8 - I'm SOOOOO close, I really wanna do it and finish it!

But this is what I'm talking about someimtes you can't totally stick with it completely but that is no reason to get down on yourself altogether.

Angie way to go!! week three now! that is awesome!!!