Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Talk to me about Nintendo DS

One plays GBA games and one doesn't?

I guess I want the one that plays GBA, since we have a ton of those, what's the most current version of that one called?
Old 12-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

the regular DS plays GBA games..the DSI is the newest one..has a camera on it and the other doesn't (plus a few other things not sure what mine have regular DSs) I don't know if the newest plays GBA games or not. I would think it does b/c they look pretty much the same just with added features. Hopefully somebody that has one will say if they do or not. The DSs you can find right now I've seen them as low as 89.99 (Target) reg are $129. Not sure if anywhere has them on sale right now..I bet they will this week though

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 12-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

ok I did a little research the DSi will NOT play GBA games..the slot has been removed on that version. You can however pay to d/l game boy games to play on the DSi

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 12-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hmm. Well the download thing throws a wrench in it, doesn't it. lol

She doesn't need the camera because we bought her a fairly nice P&S last year.

I like the idea of downloadable games, though, because our idiot dog chews them up. lol
Old 12-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

If you already have a bunch of the GBA games you want the DS Lite. I love it! I need to get one for my youngest this XMas but I haven't seen a sale on them since Cyber Monday at Wal Mart.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

Check your local Craigslist for good deals on DS lite. I got one with a bunch of accessories for $60 for me. And I've seen them anywhere from $50-75.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

The orginal DS was alot bigger and the screen was not as bright. Then they came out with DS Lite. You can play DS games on it and GBA. The screen is alot brighter and its smaller then the original DS. Then this year I think around maybe March they came out with the DSi which is like the DS in size and everything but it has a camera on it and the ability to play MP3's. You can also download games I guess. The DSi is more expensive then the DS Lite and you cant play the GBA so if you have GBA games I would get the DS Lite since it is still available and the DS games are the same for both the DS and DSi. (we have had the original DS and a couple DS Lites. I have one and my sons both have their DS Lites. Id like to get the DSi eventually for myself but am waiting til it comes down a little in price)

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 12-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Gamestop is also a great place to get used and refurbs cheap
Old 12-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

yes gamestop is awesome and alot of times at Christmas they have a special where they give more for games being traded in and usually have a BOGO free sale on all used games.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So DS Lite is not outdated, is it? I don't want to buy it and then in February they come out with a new version of it. lol
Old 12-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Nope - not outtdated For us, the camera just wasn't worth the extra money, the kids are perfectly happy (and by kids I mean DH, too) with theirs!

They will always come out with some new version of something. Just the way of electronics.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh I know, Darcy, just so long as it isn't next week. LOL

And I will definitely be visiting Game Stop. We have 2 of them in town, on the same street. lol. One used to be something else and they bought it out. It's quite handy.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

and... thanks, girls! I think I have it now.

2x DS Lite is what I need.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

There actually already is a new version of the DSi, it's 4" bigger then the original and it has a full size stylus, it was released in Japan in November and will be released in Europe in early 2010. It's suspected the US will get it in time for Christmas next year.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176694

I'd go for the DS lite now and then in a year or two the new DSi's will probably be about what you would pay for the DSi now!!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 12-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I got my personal DS used at Gamestop for $79 (I bought my older son one new at Amazon) & I love love love their warranty! It's for one year and you can just bring the unit and and they give you a new (used) one right there. No shipping it off anywhere or anything. The screen on mine had some dead cells develop on it and I took it & they looked at it and then showed me about 5 DS lites & said "pick one".

However they had a big sale on the used units a couple weeks ago and the two near me have only really scratched up ones still in stock.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Benjamin and Amelia both have a DS Lite, and they've lasted forever. They both have GBA games that they play in it.

We bought Benjamin a DSi for Christmas though, because I am sick and damn tired of searching for games that they lose in the couch cushions or whatever. The downloading feature is what sold me on that one. If it's cool, we may buy one for Amelia for her birthday (it's in January), and pass her pink DS lite on to Rae.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Kat Stokes Send a message via Yahoo to Kat Stokes

Okay, tell me what i need to get derricks' ds lite online and be able to download games.... i didn't even know it could do that. i guess it can play music and movies too???

Proudly creating for:
Libby Pritchett

Old 12-14-2009, 02:31 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I got DD the DSi and I really like the idea of downloadable games....and DD says that the GBA games will play on the DS and DS lite but not the DSi....Dh says you can't download anything to the DS and DS lite {says they are not internet friendly...}....
Old 12-14-2009, 02:41 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
I got DD the DSi and I really like the idea of downloadable games....and DD says that the GBA games will play on the DS and DS lite but not the DSi....Dh says you can't download anything to the DS and DS lite {says they are not internet friendly...}....
You can sorta download games on the DS and DS Lite. Like if you have a game and two systems and the game is multi-player compatible and it says you only need one cartridge then the second system (without the cartridge inserted) can download the game and you can play wirelessly. If you have a multi-player cartridge and you have a wireless connection you can play anyone anywhere that game. I have however never tried it with the wireless connection. Sounds like it could be fun though especially for games like Mario Kart or Mario Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat Stokes View Post
Okay, tell me what i need to get derricks' ds lite online and be able to download games.... i didn't even know it could do that. i guess it can play music and movies too???
The DSi has a free download on the nintendo site that you use as a browser and you can surf onto pretty much any site I believe. You need to buy a Nintendo Points card from a local retailer to get games(Amazon has it on sale for 19.99 for 2000 points) You then use those points to buy a downloadable game onto your DSi. The games are all listed on Nintendo's website. Looking at it today there are not a ton but Im sure as time goes on there will be more and more games/apps to chooose from. Also I am pretty sure you can use an SD card in the DSI so you can probably buy the game once and play it on multiple systems? (Not sure on that because I dont have a DSi but seems like it should work)

Last edited by jessica31876; 12-14-2009 at 02:43 AM.