Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-07-2022, 01:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Has COVID changed how you work?

My company is going "back to the office" starting next week. Our corporate offices have been mostly closed since March 2020 so this will be a big transition for a lot of people. But, it looks like people won't have to work in the office full time -- maybe 2 or 3 days in the office and the rest at home. I was working entirely from home before the pandemic so, in some ways, it was almost better for me to have everyone on the same footing from home but I really felt for those parents who were trying to work with small kids from home.

Has Covid changed the way your work? Do you think it will ever go back to the way it was pre-pandemic or are the changes permanent?
Old 03-07-2022, 01:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I work in a school but was off ill all last year so attempting virtual wasn't an issue for me.
Returning in September we were in person but the schedule was very different and it took a bit to get used to it. We have been able to do PD days from home, which I kind of like. As the new semester began we are back to our original schedule, kids seem happier. Still wearing our masks and having to do COVID assessment every day but everything else is slowly returning to as before.
We no longer get 'snow days' if there are no buses then we pivot to virtual. Our schools were always open even if buses were canceled but now teachers have to teach those show up and be online. I think that is the biggest change for this year.
Old 03-07-2022, 01:45 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

It hasn't changed the way I work much because most of my work has always been online. It has changed the schedule of when I work because covid changed my hubby to work from home a couple of days a week and he distracts me and wants/me to do things for him during the day. I used to have the whole house to myself every day while he and the kids were at work and school.
Old 03-07-2022, 01:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I wouldn't have my job if it wasn't for COVID.

My workplace went remote after COVID hit and discovered that they didn't need to have an office (or pay the $$$ associated with having a physical office) because everyone kept up with the quantity and quality of work just like before. I was an "experiment," of sorts, as the first remote employee they hired. Since then, they've hired several more, and the owners were able to move to a different part of the country that they'd always loved once they decided to be permanently remote.

I would have to make at least six figures to ever, ever, ever even consider going back to working in an office again. Not having a commute, wearing pjs while I work, avoiding small talk, flexing hours when I need to, not having to make arrangements for my kids when they're sick or there's an e-learning day, no before or after school care costs for my youngest...
Old 03-07-2022, 02:00 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Wow! That's a long time to be working at home as a whole company! I work for a law firm and was working for another one back in March of 2020. Only essential workers worked in the office the entire time. From March to about mid-May 2020, everyone else worked from home. I had no issues whatsoever in that transition because I was already working from home two days a week, the privilege of which I earned. Some attorneys worked from home a few days a week as well. After that, people came back for a couple of days a week, with employees staggering the days they came in to avoid a full office. I believe it was June 2020 when just about everyone was back in the office. However, there were about 3 or 4 of us that needed to keep working from home at all times for health reasons. I didn't go back to the office until early May 2021, at which time I turned in my resignation. When I started at my new law firm in late May 2021, I worked full-time at the office. No one is allowed to work from home except once a week for a couple of people, and it has nothing to do with Covid. At this new firm, there was a Covid scare a few months ago, so I was allowed to work from home for about a week because I didn't know who may have been exposed to the person with Covid.

Everything seems almost normal to me. However, many court hearings, depositions and even some bench trials and jury trials were held via video teleconferencing platforms like Zoom. The one change that I THINK may be permanent for some courts is having Zoom hearings, and for attorneys Zoom depositions will probably continue, especially if there are out of town witnesses. I believe, though, that in-person jury trials will eventually come back in full force.

Last edited by lizziej; 03-07-2022 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post
I work in a school but was off ill all last year so attempting virtual wasn't an issue for me.
Returning in September we were in person but the schedule was very different and it took a bit to get used to it. We have been able to do PD days from home, which I kind of like. As the new semester began we are back to our original schedule, kids seem happier. Still wearing our masks and having to do COVID assessment every day but everything else is slowly returning to as before.
We no longer get 'snow days' if there are no buses then we pivot to virtual. Our schools were always open even if buses were canceled but now teachers have to teach those show up and be online. I think that is the biggest change for this year.
No snow days?! My younger self is outraged. I live in the Phoenix area where we don't have snow days anyway but I remember how delightful they were back in the day.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
I wouldn't have my job if it wasn't for COVID.

My workplace went remote after COVID hit and discovered that they didn't need to have an office (or pay the $$$ associated with having a physical office) because everyone kept up with the quantity and quality of work just like before. I was an "experiment," of sorts, as the first remote employee they hired. Since then, they've hired several more, and the owners were able to move to a different part of the country that they'd always loved once they decided to be permanently remote.

I would have to make at least six figures to ever, ever, ever even consider going back to working in an office again. Not having a commute, wearing pjs while I work, avoiding small talk, flexing hours when I need to, not having to make arrangements for my kids when they're sick or there's an e-learning day, no before or after school care costs for my youngest...
I think the $$ factor is part of why a lot of companies are going to allow more work from home. We are going to have more flexible shared office space rather than so many designated offices/desks. I am with you on not wanting to be in an office. It was a huge perk being able to work from home when my kids were small. We had childcare but just being able to be around and know what was going on was huge.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepscrappin View Post
It hasn't changed the way I work much because most of my work has always been online. It has changed the schedule of when I work because covid changed my hubby to work from home a couple of days a week and he distracts me and wants/me to do things for him during the day. I used to have the whole house to myself every day while he and the kids were at work and school.
I was so happy when my hubby went back to the office! I love the man but he was always underfoot when he worked from home!
Old 03-07-2022, 02:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziej View Post
Wow! That's a long time to be working at home as a whole company! I work for a law firm and was working for another one back in March of 2020. Only essential workers worked in the office the entire time. From March to about mid-May 2020, everyone else worked from home. I had no issues whatsoever in that transition because I was already working from home two days a week, the privilege of which I earned. Some attorneys worked from home a few days a week as well. After that, people came back for a couple of days a week, with employees staggering the days they came in to avoid a full office. I believe it was June 2020 when just about everyone was back in the office. However, there were about 3 or 4 of us that needed to keep working from home at all times for health reasons. I didn't go back to the office until early May 2021, at which time I turned in my resignation. When I started at my new law firm in late May 2021, I worked full-time at the office. No one is allowed to work from home except once a week for a couple of people, and it has nothing to do with Covid. At this new firm, there was a Covid scare a few months ago, so I was allowed to work from home for about a week because I didn't know who may have been exposed to the person with Covid.

Everything seems almost normal to me. However, many court hearings, depositions and even some bench trials and jury trials were held via video teleconferencing platforms like Zoom. The one change that I THINK may be permanent for some courts is having Zoom hearings, and for attorneys Zoom depositions will probably continue, especially if there are out of town witnesses. I believe, though, that in-person jury trials will eventually come back in full force.
Law firms are mostly so inflexible. I'm a lawyer and it's one of the reasons I work in-house instead of at a law firm. My company has locations all over the country so I think they have always been more flexible because they simply can't have everyone meeting in person anyway. My sister works at a big law firm and they are all back in the office all the time.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My husband wishes! He loves loves working from home - he switched companies in September. His old company was just coming back with 60/40 split of people in the office vs. not. Then his new job - everyone BUT his group were mostly working remotely. His team (full of engineers) are single guys and they couldn't stand working from home one moment longer and most have been in the office. So my husband (as manager) kind of has to be in the office more than he wants, but he was able to work remotely for two weeks when we were on vacation in TX.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:17 PM
Banned

profile gallery

My department mostly worked from home before COVID, so we were already used to our team functioning remotely. We would have occasional office days when clients were on-site, long meeting days, etc, but all that stopped in March 2020. We've all adjusted, as have our clients, to being fully off-site. I do go into the office occasionally, but it's not required and that isn't going to change any time soon.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:26 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

It's funny you should ask this of all days, because today I went back into the office after working from home since August 2021... so almost 7 months this time. I also worked from home starting in November 2020 until about April 2021. So I've worked from home a lot more than in the office. I loved it too. I'd get up and shower and put on clean comfy clother (hoodies, sweatpants, etc). I also loved being able to burn my fun candles and listening to whatever music I wanted... OR if I wanted silence, I could have that too.

It's not all bad to be back in the office though. I needed to be further away from my fully stocked kitchen.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I work for a large company (45K+ employees). We went full virtual in March 2020, which had some complexity because we are an international company and resources are highly variable depending on location. My current role went 100% remote in perpetuity in mid 2021 when we changed our real estate strategy. I do have a local office (with about 1500 employees), but they don't pay for real estate for me, so I would have to "squat" if I went into the office. I have been into the office once since February 2020 to pick up my belongings. I've seen countless surveys on this, and most people prefer going into the office no more than 2x/week (that would also be my sweet spot).

I do think having our workforce 100% virtual has given people a better perspective that you can successfully WFH and it also levels the way we interact (meaning people now have more empathy for the people on the phone, etc). Some of my colleagues have been periodically going into the office. Usually if they are filming a corporate video or hosting a meeting to a large part of our organization.

There is a ton of empty office space in my metro area. I do think the pendulum will eventually swing back. Our WFH tenure is still new enough where the vast majority of our workforce have been in their roles a while, but as more new people enter the workforce over time, it's going to be less sustainable to have them learn job as effectively without having in-person interactions.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We had been offered optional work from home on Fridays only for a few months before COVID. Then, everyone went home. Nationally, our company has closed many offices and kept people working from home. Our VP said it pushed the company years into the future with that. Our office of 450+ has been working from home and dramatically reduced the amount of space they are leasing. We still don't have the OK to have anyone more than mngt in the building and the plan is only to have very limited staff in the building whenever that approval comes though - people who are having issues working from home and occasional meetings. I hated my commute so I am ecstatic. Plus I can be home when my kids get home, get dinner started earlier and get them where they need to be on time.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
My husband wishes! He loves loves working from home - he switched companies in September. His old company was just coming back with 60/40 split of people in the office vs. not. Then his new job - everyone BUT his group were mostly working remotely. His team (full of engineers) are single guys and they couldn't stand working from home one moment longer and most have been in the office. So my husband (as manager) kind of has to be in the office more than he wants, but he was able to work remotely for two weeks when we were on vacation in TX.
J
Pro tip for your hubby -- working remotely is not a vacation.

JK, I do it too. Your comment just made me giggle.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:23 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

No change for me.... I'm retired
Old 03-07-2022, 04:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm a hygienist so covid has significantly impacted my work but not in the same ways. It's pretty impossible for me to work from home! Lol My office I'm at was closed for 9 weeks in March 2020- only open for emergencies. That was state mandated. When we opened back up- we started doing a lot of things differently- WAY more PPE (face shields, hair covers, n95 masks with level3 over top etc.), screening patients with preop phone calls, temp checks as well as pre rinses. We added air purifiers to all our ops and made sure to use our high evac suction for everyone. At first we (hygienists) weren't using our ultrasonic scalers as those produce the most aerosols. As time has gone on- we've relaxed some of those procedures but dentistry is probably forever changed.
Old 03-07-2022, 05:04 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
Law firms are mostly so inflexible. I'm a lawyer and it's one of the reasons I work in-house instead of at a law firm. My company has locations all over the country so I think they have always been more flexible because they simply can't have everyone meeting in person anyway. My sister works at a big law firm and they are all back in the office all the time.
Gosh, I need to clarify what I said. Staff is generally not allowed to work from home except for a couple of people and in situations like the icy weather we've had. The attorneys have flexibility. There are more than a handful of firms around here where everyone is still WFH 100% of the time. I think it depends on the nature of the cases being handled. While I like WFH, I enjoy the camaraderie, and I like coming to work every day. I could not same the same thing about my previous firm. It was awful when I left.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I work in healthcare (radiology) so in person work the entire pandemic. A lot has changed for us. We wear masks and goggles ALL DAY LONG! I don't see that going away any time soon. Also, full PPE (gowns, gloves, N95 masks, face shields) for anyone with any covid symptoms. I think that is also here to stay. We also have to screen every morning upon entering the building as do patients. Very limited visitation for patients. We also had a vaccine mandate for healthcare workers in my state and we lost soooo many people and are so short-handed. We are paying $$$ to traveling techs just to get by. It will take years to get back to normal staffing levels without travelers. Sadly, healthcare is forever changed and definitely not for the better. I wish I was closer to retirement!
Old 03-07-2022, 06:44 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

It was never possible for me to work from home, so, my work had not changed at all. My mom though had asked for years to work from home and was always turned down. Now guess, what? She was allowed to work from home permentantly. I also love that now they can easily cancel school and do online classes. No worries about this bad winter and having to make up a ton of days.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:21 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Not really.... but In the very beginning, yes. I do childcare, so when all the mommas stopped working, they didn't need care. But when they all went back to work (even virtually, they brought all my babies back to me). I did do a lot more cleaning and sanitizing when they came back, but now I'm pretty much back to my regular cleaning routines.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 03-07-2022, 10:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We worked remotely from mid-April 2020 to mid-June 2020, and have been back in the office since, except for a week when schools were closed - I work for a school board. With these gas prices I wish I could work from home again!!! lol

Old 03-07-2022, 11:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I teach in a private preschool. We closed in March 2020 and didn't reopen in person until Sept. 2021. For the first few months of that I taught my class remotely, then during the 2020-2021 school year I helped write homeschool lessons that the parents could do with their kids. When we came back in person this year we had to take a pod approach (the classes never mix), we spend half our day outside, we don't let parents in the building, and we wear masks and sanitize/wash often. But fundamentally, it's still in person preschool and it has the same feel even though some major details have changed. Next year will be like this again, but by the year after I think things will look a lot more normal.

During the year we were closed, I started subbing in the public schools, especially the special ed preschool classrooms. I loved it, so I ended up going back to school part time to get my special ed certification. I'm in year 1 of 3, then I'll move full time to the public schools. So the pandemic will have a lasting effect on my work even if education as a whole goes back to normal.

My husband is in a management position in the federal government. In the summer of 2020 he started going back to the office 2x a week, but between surges, changing rules, and then a new agency he went back to 100% remote in Sept 2020. Tomorrow will be his first day back since then. He'll be in person 1-2 days a week for a while. Eventually he wants to do 3 days in the office and 2 from home, and it looks like that will be possible long term.

Last edited by rach3975; 03-07-2022 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2022, 02:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Covid has definitely changed my job!
As a teacher of littles, the Covid protocols have made teaching very challenging. The masks are not only inconvenient, they affect our ability to teach kids letter sounds, rhyming, and how to read.
The kids have to stay in their "distanced" seats, instead of having a carpet for gathering and whole-group learning. Play-based learning has become hard because unless you have enough for 20+ kids, you can't do it. They can't share supplies, tools, anything.
The gaps in academic and social skills are ginormous!

I'll get off my little soapbox now...lol
I can't wait for some "normalcy" in the classroom.
Old 03-13-2022, 01:35 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I work in food manufacturing as a production planner, so I am considered essential and have been going to work all along. The only thing that has changed for me is that I can work from home when necessary and do so when the weather is bad or I am not feeling well. Of when I wake up late. LOL
Old 03-13-2022, 07:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I work in education. Covid obviously shut everything down at first. We missed the last quarter of in-person school in 2020. I created STEM lesson videos during this time.

We started school a few weeks later than normal in September of 2020. Students were given the option of going in-person or attending remotely via Zoom. Teachers taught both groups of students at once. Students practiced doing assignments using school issued devices in the event that we would all be back home again. There were many absences as students were quarantined (some over and over) but things were mostly fairly normal. We masked, did not share any supplies, and maintained social distance. By the last quarter of the school year we had no more remote students and teachers were no longer required to teach via Zoom.

We began the 2021 school year much the way we ended the previous one. No remote students, no option of remote if students were quarantined either. We still social distanced and masked, but shared supplies were no longer an issue. Two weeks ago they pulled the masks and social distancing. We are officially back to doing business exactly like we were in March of 2020 before it all hit.

I thought at first that bad weather would mean we teach remotely after last year but it hasn't worked out that way. Many families do not have internet. The school provided hot spots last year for them, but there was a lot involved with that. It is a nice idea, but it just doesn't work in this area, unfortunately.

So, long story short... Covid has not changed how I work much. It did temporarily but we are back to 'normal'. We aren't even required to quarantine if there is a positive case in the household.
Old 03-13-2022, 08:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It changed it a lot in the beginning. We went fully remote in March of 2020, we transitioned back to the offices in September, so just a few weeks short of being home for 18 months. Even then, we had/have the flexibility to work remote if we needed to.

Our mask mandate was just lifted last week.

I'm a community nutrition instructor, so we go to schools or in under served populations and teach lessons that revolve around MyPlate for 6 weeks at a time. We also do adult classes. During our 18 months at home it was nearly impossible to get youth classes. We did have some luck with the adult classes, but we'd only get 2 or 3 people at a time. Rarely were they the correct audience. Now it's almost impossible to find sites willing to host adult classes or adults to come. We've been lucky most schools have been allowing us to come in this year, so we've been really busy, teaching masked until last week. I feel naked now. LOL!
Old 03-14-2022, 12:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
We've been lucky most schools have been allowing us to come in this year, so we've been really busy, teaching masked until last week. I feel naked now. LOL!
I can imagine! I have yet to stop wearing my mask. I wanted to see a few weeks' worth of data before I made a decision since we are no longer social distancing or masking in our school. I had to go into the building twice today (to steal internet for a homework assignment that wouldn't upload well) and it felt absolutely crazy being at work without a mask even though I was literally the only person in the building.
Old 03-14-2022, 10:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
I can imagine! I have yet to stop wearing my mask.
My preschool still requires them since most of our kids are too young to be vaccinated. The public schools here made them optional on March 1st. From what my kids say and what I've seen when I sub, it's between 1/2 and 2/3 still wearing them. I don't feel comfortable in public places without one yet. I wonder when I will--maybe when there are vaccines for all ages and my high risk parents feel like they can leave their house safely. I feel like for now I'm still wearing them for others rather than because I'm worried about getting sick.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:15 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

It didn't change my life very much, because all of my work is online.