Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2022, 12:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Non-Dairy Suggestions?

Friends...I need your help!

After having an endoscopy done last month, I was told I have EOE (Eosinophilic Esophagitis). My gastro doc instructed me (via a letter in the mail) to take a Prilosec once a day for six weeks (even though heart burn is not an issue for me) and scheduled me for a follow-up phone call after that time period). Since then I have done a little bit of research and most things I've read have said that cutting out certain trigger foods can help - wheat, milk, egg, nuts, soy, fish and shellfish. I have noticed that my throat gets "scratchy" and I have to take larger breaths after drinking a dairy product (usually in my coffee) or eating ice cream. So...I'm thinking I might cut out dairy from my diet. What are some of your favorite non-dairy products like ice cream or coffee creamers? Cheese? Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!

Old 04-05-2022, 12:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Almond milk creamer is good. I've used almond milk in cereal and smoothies too - esp love the vanilla flavored. My vegan friend turned me on to cashew milk ice cream (I couldn't tell the difference) but said she hasn't found a cheese that's really satisfying. I've had coconut milk whipped topping (cool whip) that was very good, too.
Old 04-05-2022, 12:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love this creamer & it comes in a few different flavors. I'm not dairy free but I still chose this one!
Old 04-08-2022, 02:00 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm somewhat lactose-intolerant. I've been drinking almond milk for a number of years. I buy the one that is not Vanilla-flavored or sweetened, but the flavored and/or sweetened are good. I don't miss milk.

For my coffee, I use the sugar-free Carnation powdered creamers, as they are non-dairy. I use the powders because they last a lot longer than the liquid (which I really like). I even use it to sweeten my oatmeal. That creamer than Amie posted sounds delicious - I will probably try it even though it's liquid!

I hope you get some more answers/guidance from your doctor. He/She probably prescribed the Prilosec because of the acid that may be produced and/or come up without your knowing it and aggravating your esophagus. (I hope that makes sense).
Old 04-08-2022, 02:15 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I use regular soymilk for any cereal/oatmeal...I don't drink coffee so no help there but for ice cream, I like the So Delicious brand. I just usually skip cheese...
Old 04-08-2022, 05:50 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Almond milk in coffee is the best. I buy lots of almond milk ice creams for my husband, too. Honestly, almond milk is my favorite replacement for any cow dairy.
Old 04-09-2022, 11:13 AM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Another Almond Milk lover here. Califia is my favorite brand for milk and creamer (the texture is perfect and milky vs silky if that makes sense)...

Last edited by Robin Carlton; 04-09-2022 at 11:15 AM.