Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm
Unhappy Baby Shower Madness?

I'm pregnant with our third child and since this baby is a girl (we have 2 boys) and it's been almost 7 years since our first child was born, we are having another baby shower (I have an almost four year old, too, but never had a baby shower for him since we still had our stuff from our other boy). My mom is "throwing" it (if she didn't, I doubt anyone else would throw me one...sad but I've never had the best luck for stuff like that and even though I have friends, I always get forgotten ) so I told her since she didn't have a lot of money I'd help out with planning and buying some things.

As of yesterday, I'm about to say forget the whole thing though because even though her and her husband are claiming poverty, she just told me they are buying school clothes for his DIL because his son landed his butt in jail after his 3rd drunk driving offense (not even going to go there). We make about the same (sometimes less depending if my husband's work is slow and he can't get hours) but we have two boys to take care of too. All of this even I could handle, but then she keeps inviting more people (family I never see and/or hardly know and friends of hers) when it's supposed to be at my house because of the lack of money for a hall and there won't be room now if everyone shows up. Not to mention now I have to pay for more food/supplies that I can't afford to begin with. Of course, if I tell her this then I'm the bad guy and she becomes depressed, etc. The baby is due in less than 9 weeks (I wanted to have the shower a few weeks earlier, right now it's supposed to be at the end of August, but of course she said no to that, too), I have other stuff I need to concentrate on with school starting and prepping the house and things for our baby girl's arrival. Although I like hosting parties when feasible, I don't think spending all my money and time on this shower is a good idea. Am I crazy or hormonal to think that I shouldn't have to do this?
Old 07-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The shower is supposed to be a nice thing for you, but it sounds like your mother has taken over and made it about her. You're definitely not crazy for thinking you shouldn't have to do this, but the problem is how to get out of it or change things without damaging relationships.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:34 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

If you don't think you can get out of it without hurting her, keep it simple. Make it an afternoon thing with just cake and punch. Cheaper options at least.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My shower for my second was a simple late afternoon get together. Not even a cake... We just made ice cream sundaes. You don't have to feed people a meal. Tell your mom you are skimming down the plans for the shower. Don't ask her permission or let her plan away your money. If she chooses to invite people you don't care to have there its obvious its not a shower for you anymore.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I would definitely make it a cake and punch thing to save you, be gracious to the guests that come, but you know everyone probably won't come, make it a come and go thing so that it's not expected that everyone stays and sits and waits.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
My shower for my second was a simple late afternoon get together. Not even a cake... We just made ice cream sundaes. You don't have to feed people a meal. Tell your mom you are skimming down the plans for the shower. Don't ask her permission or let her plan away your money. If she chooses to invite people you don't care to have there its obvious its not a shower for you anymore.
This.

We didn't have a meal at Colton's shower. We only had cake, punch, mints, peanuts...
It was still a fun shower.

Happily Creating For:

Krystal Hartley ♥ Libby Pritchett ♥ Meghan Mullens ♥ Melissa Bennett

Old 07-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to haydensmommy217

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
This!!

Proudly Creating For:
Amanda Yi, Becca Bonneville, Digilicious Designs, Jady Day Studio, Lliella Designs, Meghan Mullens, and Miss Fish.
I have guested for Kristin Cronin-Barrow, Traci Reed, and Krystal Hartley.

♥♥Facebook♥♥Pinterest♥♥Gallery♥♥
Old 07-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I totally agree, make it simple...cake, punch, mints, peanuts a plastic table cloth and centerpice form the $1 store and viola I LOVE the $1 store for any kind of party decorations....cheap, afforable and cute! I even bought a fairyly decent size punch bowl for $1
Old 07-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I feel a lot better about it now. I'm saving money by making a few small decorations like a banner (thank you scrap supply stash!), invitations and favors (cookies in a cellophane bag...cheap and easy!). She's trying to get me to do all out with food and I'm not having it. I can't do subs which would be inexpensive but I am pregnant and can't eat it so I'm doing homemade chicken salad sliders and mac and cheese instead which I can make easily for under $20. I'll go the punch route since it's inexpensive, too. I'm not ordering a cake because I hate store-bought cake number one, but also because they are too expensive and no one ever eats them. I'm making cupcakes instead. I just ran through a list of everything I will need and the costs associated with them, ran it by my husband and think I can pull it off and still make it worth it. I think I just needed a little freak out time, motivation and to list everything out like that. Thanks for allowing me to rant a little lol.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Andrea, it sounds like it will be a lovely shower. Can't wait to see the scrap page.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Just remember that this is a celebration of your baby girl. Don't let her put a damper on things for you! Keep things within your comfort zone
Old 07-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I can't wait to see pics ohhh and I LOVE the idea of cupcakes too instead of a cake....I seem to have the same dilema around birthdays here...they will eat ALL of the cupcakes, and maybe 1 piece of cake will end up eaten!
Old 07-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm glad you're feeling better about it! Sounds like it will be very nice and not over the top budget-wise.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You know, we have the opposite experience with cupcakes/cake here. The cake gets eaten, the cupcakes sit until I throw them out. Not sure why that happens. LOL