Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-06-2012, 02:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Kindle Fire vs. iPad

Ok- I like to think I am great with technology, but I have no idea which of these is better for me. I want to read (occasionally) play games, listen to music, and browse the web. Anyone who has one of these, please tell me:
1. Why you Love it
2. What you don't Love
3. Would you recommend it
4. What you use it for
THANKS!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

we have had an ipad2 for a little while and while I do not use it a ton, I would choose it over the Kindle Fire. I got a Fire for xmas and am going to exchange it for the Touch because we already have an ipad and I just wanted a reader type device/not backlit.

From my brief experience with both, I think the Fire is too small for games, browsing etc...odd shaped maybe and not as comfortable to hold as the ipad? I just think you will get more bang for your buck with the ipad...but like I said, I have limited experience with both Good luck!
Old 01-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have either, but we are planning to get the next ipad when it comes out (with Christmas money and some of our tax return)... Can you listen to music on the kindle fire? maybe.

But anyway... we had the chance to play with a couple ipads and a couple kindles a month ago. I decided if I just wanted a reading device, I would go with one of the kindles with e-ink (NOT the fire). The fire has an lcd screen just like ipads and computers and I just LOVED how the kindle looked like paper and a book. I really really liked that. You can get a kindle app for the ipad and there is a reading thing on there... so, it could do everything. I also think it's more bang for your buck like leslie said.

Anyway, sorry I don't actually own one, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents still. You could go play with them at a store so you can get an idea of how they feel and what they do!
Old 01-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't think the two devices are even in the same category.

If you want an eeader that can do more - movies, games, web, then the Fire is awesome. If you are looking for something that does the other stuff and you can use it as an eeader, then get the iPad.

I have a Fire and bought it/love it for reading. Movies/Music/Web, not so much. It is nice to be able to check e-mail or check out the SSD Sneak Peeks, a little websurfing, but it is not as good as the iPad in those areas.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't have either, but my daughter has an iPad, and short of writing a paper, she can do almost everything on it I can do on my laptop. She uses it to listen to music, play games, go on the web, and read with the Kindle app. (You can also use iBooks, but since she also has a Kindle, she uses that app.)

Old 01-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

A lot depends on what you can afford....I bought the Kindle Fire for reading and games and such, but if I had the money I would have probably gotten the IPAD simply because I have an Iphone and already have a bunch of music and some games, I simply could not afford the IPad right now. I do like the Kindle Fire, but right now I am just downloading freebie type games and vidios and such......for me the jury is still out.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

head over to best buy and put your hans on both of them. i have an ipad2 - surprise for xmas and i love it. i'm considering the fire for my younger son for his next birthday as he wants a tablet and they are affordable.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Susan Bartolini

I have an iPad and love it. I recently read this review of the Fire (on my USA Today app) that was not so glowing. Check the web for reviews. It really just depends on how much you want to spend and what you want the device to be able to do for you.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/st...nts/51839620/1
Old 01-06-2012, 03:14 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I only have a little experience with the iPad, and none with the Fire. But, I for sure would go for the iPad. I LOVE my Kindle, and for an eeader, I'm going to choose e-ink every. single. time. I would honestly love to have an iPad (hubby and I have been talking about how nice it would be). That would get used for movies, games, email, internet - all that good stuff. But, for reading . . . an e-ink Kindle hands down. I'll be getting a Touch as soon as I can.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

for my hubby - it comes down what store to by apps from... and he loathes itunes store. hahaha... so that is why he is Android all the way. I got him a fire for christmas because he didn't know if he wanted a tablet or not... and all the good Android tablets were out of my price range... However, I would want an ipad over the fire just because of the size and that it's apple...

So really the discussion between Fire vs iPad is the same discussion of PC vs Mac, IMO.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyRainbow View Post
I don't have either, but my daughter has an iPad, and short of writing a paper, she can do almost everything on it I can do on my laptop. She uses it to listen to music, play games, go on the web, and read with the Kindle app. (You can also use iBooks, but since she also has a Kindle, she uses that app.)

Honestly, if you buy the right apps, you could write a paper on an iPad. I think I'd require an external keyboard for it, but it would be doable.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I got the Nook tablet which is nice but I dont love the browser on it. Ipad was out of my price range and I had heard some negative stuff about the Kindle Fire and the display which is what pushed me towards the Nook. I have watched videos on the Nook and it is nice but Im sure the Ipad would display videos better. I think if you can afford the extra cost for Ipad Id go for it but if you are looking more for the eeader and would only occasionally use the other features for the Kindle.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I like the Fire well enough. I have no problem reading unless the light is shining directly on it. I imagine this can be fixed by putting a screen protector on it. I don't like that you can only get apps from the Amazon store and not the Android Market. I DO love all of the free books that I get and the books I can borrow (this is my first Kindle so this is new to me). I also like that I can load non-amazon books like .mobi or .pdf (you have to have it converted but it's easy). I like the size very much, fits easily in my purse. I like that I can sync with the app on my phone. The battery life is great, playing games is wonderful, internet browsing hasn't given me a problem (I use the mobile sites for the most part), Email is fine.

With all that said, I will still get an iPad some day. I had an iPod touch which I loved but it was just too small. My daughter now loves it! LOL!
Old 01-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a Kindle Fire.

1. I love it because it's very user-friendly. It's easy to add books, Remove books, use and download apps and features, and sync. I also love that it's got a decent battery life (I'm on it MOST of the day- using Netflix, books, apps, and more, and it only gets charged every night- way less than a laptop or something for the same uses). It charges in the wall, which is nice, rather than having to be attached to a computer. In fact, I have never really plugged it into a computer at all!

2. There's nothing I don't love about it. The only thing that I didn't like was that one of my books didn't load- I tried to go with support, but they wanted me to call, and I couldn't call at the time, so I was dead in the water with $10 gone. When I told them I couldn't call, so I'd like troubleshooting over the computer, they helped me fix the problem, and gave me a $10 credit.

3. I definitely recommend it! It's become an almost permanent attachment to me. We use it with our homeschooling, I read in the car, and when I have internet, I can access the shoppe, facebook, email- everything!

4. I kind of answered that above. Lol.

Overall, I went back and forth between iPad2 and Kindle Fire. The pros I found of the Kindle over the iPad were these:

-The kindle is lighter (though it does have a smaller display), which means I can hold it in one hand. (With the iPad think magazine size, with the kindle, think book size... I prefer the book size because, with Zach, I rarely have two hands to dedicate to it!)

-The Kindle doesn't deal with iTunes at all. I hate iTunes. It's nice that everything goes through Amazon, since it's a familiar marketplace with great support.

-The Kindle can wall charge without an adapter. I don't know, maybe the iPad can, too- I based that judgement on my iPod Touch, which sits in a drawer.

-If you want to change content on your Kindle, you can, easily. If you want to do it on an iPad, it has the same issues as the iPod Touch- if you plug it in, and it's syncable, it will delete your current content if you're on a different computer (I had my iPod touch with content on it. My computer crashed. I tried to add more songs using my new computer, and it tried to delete everything I had on the old one, since the content wasn't on my new computer). I pretty much wrote off apple after that incident.

-Overall ease of use. I love the Kindle because it's simpler than the iPad. Apps are similar for the most part, so that's not an issue to me... most apps you'll want for the thing will be available in both marketplaces.

-Downside of a Kindle? No camera. But really, I have a camera. A good camera. And I don't want to have to hold up a 2-handed device to take a picture anyway. I figured it was a feature I wouldn't use much and could live without.

ETA: I also use my Kindle for Music. It works just fine, both with the external speakers and earbuds (it doesn't come with earbuds, but most people have a pair or fifty laying around).

New Siggy Coming Soon

Last edited by Jengerbread88; 01-06-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

iPad 2------- I really like for the size of screen to view the web, the apps are plentiful, you can do so much, and it is a really cool thing to have!

Kindle Fire-----I really like the Kindle Fire for watching movies and tv shows in my recliner. With Amazon Prime Membership you have access to a ton of free movies, videos, and TV shows. I don't really use it too much for searching the web because of the small screen. amazon has great wi if streaming and their prices seem to be a little cheaper for movies etc.
You need to decide what you want to do and see which product will let you do that best. Have fun!
Old 01-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have now had experience with both...I have an iPad that belongs to my work but I am able to transport it back and forth when I need to...but it isn't MINE...so we I have made the decision to buy one.

Landen got the Fire for Christmas and although it is nice and just amazing for HIM...I want an iPad.

Why?
I love the bigger screen on the iPad.
I love the apps for the iPad.
I love the camera on the iPad.
I love the ease of use of iTunes and the Apps store-I like being able to use ALL the apps and not have to be limited to the apps at Amazon.

I plan on having enough saved in the next 6 weeks to have my own iPad in my hot little hands...complete with the cool pink case...
Old 01-07-2012, 12:42 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

if you are debating between the ipad and fire, you might also want to include the Samsung Galaxy Tab. It's an android tablet and has a front and back camera (no camera on the Fire), has the android system if you don't like Apple/iTunes, and with the Kindle App you can read on it. I'd say it's a good comparison to the ipad. I've played with it and the ipad, but I don't own either, so I can't give it a review. Just wanted to mention it as an option though. I believe it requires a data plan similar to the ipad, but they might have a wifi only version.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Exactly. I dont think you can compare them- its like comparing a $30,000 car to a $50,000 car, you know? I already have an iphone 4, so ipad2 was redundant and too pricey for what i would use it for- reading, watching videos, listening to music, websurfing, email and a few apps and games.
I love my fire so far- typing this on it now. So consider what you want to do with your tablet and then cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jengerbread88 View Post
I have a Kindle Fire. I love it because it's very user-friendly. It's easy to add books, Remove books, use and download apps and features, and sync. I also love that it's got a decent battery life (I'm on it MOST of the day- using Netflix, books, apps, and more, and it only gets charged every night- way less than a laptop or something for the same uses). It charges in the wall, which is nice, rather than having to be attached to a computer. In fact, I have never really plugged it into a computer at all!

2. There's nothing I don't love about it. The only thing that I didn't like was that one of my books didn't load- I tried to go with support, but they wanted me to call, and I couldn't call at the time, so I was dead in the water with $10 gone. When I told them I couldn't call, so I'd like troubleshooting over the computer, they helped me fix the problem, and gave me a $10 credit.

3. I definitely recommend it! It's become an almost permanent attachment to me. We use it with our homeschooling, I read in the car, and when I have internet, I can access the shoppe, facebook, email- everything!

4. I kind of answered that above. Lol.

Overall, I went back and forth between iPad2 and Kindle Fire. The pros I found of the Kindle over the iPad were these:

-The kindle is lighter (though it does have a smaller display), which means I can hold it in one hand. (With the iPad think magazine size, with the kindle, think book size... I prefer the book size because, with Zach, I rarely have two hands to dedicate to it!)

-The Kindle doesn't deal with iTunes at all. I hate iTunes. It's nice that everything goes through Amazon, since it's a familiar marketplace with great support.

-The Kindle can wall charge without an adapter. I don't know, maybe the iPad can, too- I based that judgement on my iPod Touch, which sits in a drawer.

-If you want to change content on your Kindle, you can, easily. If you want to do it on an iPad, it has the same issues as the iPod Touch- if you plug it in, and it's syncable, it will delete your current content if you're on a different computer (I had my iPod touch with content on it. My computer crashed. I tried to add more songs using my new computer, and it tried to delete everything I had on the old one, since the content wasn't on my new computer). I pretty much wrote off apple after that incident.

-Overall ease of use. I love the Kindle because it's simpler than the iPad. Apps are similar for the most part, so that's not an issue to me... most apps you'll want for the thing will be available in both marketplaces.

-Downside of a Kindle? No camera. But really, I have a camera. A good camera. And I don't want to have to hold up a 2-handed device to take a picture anyway. I figured it was a feature I wouldn't use much and could live without.

ETA: I also use my Kindle for Music. It works just fine, both with the external speakers and earbuds (it doesn't come with earbuds, but most people have a pair or fifty laying around).

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!

Last edited by schock77; 01-07-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i dont think they are in the same category either...the kindle fire is a glorified e reader. the ipad is like a mini computer. i'd be happy with either however lol
Old 01-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have no experience with the Kindle Fire, but I got an iPad for Christmas and I absolutely LOOOVE it! I have been on my computer so much less since getting it. It's amazing -- lovin' all the apps, my music, can open PDFs on it and lead worship with it rather than having paper charts in front of me, watch TV episodes I missed while cooking, etc. And I have been reading on it with both the Kindle App and iBooks. I like having both options (if I get an iTunes gift card, I can use it for music, apps or books)!

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 01-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We have both (thanks to my parents), and if money wasn't an issue, I would go with the iPad. It's just freakin' awesome. Joel (DH) likes the Kindle Fire a lot, but after using both, he says he wishes he had asked for the iPad instead. It's just bigger and easy to use and has so much cool stuff on it.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

My sister in law has a Kindle and ever since I've seen her with it I want one of my own!!
1. I love the size. Love, love. Put a cover on that baby and it'll easily fit into a purse for taking along on a trip or just amusing myself during appointments. The gorilla glass is hard to scratch and I've *heard* they don't break as easily on dropping as the iPad. Considering that I'll be handing mine occasionally to a 7 year old boy to watch a movie on the plane or whatever, breakability is a factor for sure!
2. I don't own one, so I don't know. I'd like to be able to sync my own content quicker, and I'm not a fan of cloud storage. A physical copy is nice.
3. Can't say yet.
4. Planning on using it for reading, watching movies, apps for the son to play when we get held up at appointments or waiting for a table/food at restaurants. Occasional web use.

I have a netbook, so I don't really need the extras of an iPad. I'm rather happy with the netbook (I even scrap on it!) and the iPad is really about the same size, if not depth, when this thing is closed. Plus, well.... iTunes. :P
Old 01-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Very happy with the iPad 2. You can read books from any store: Amazon, B&N, Apple (iBooks), Google Books, etc. Sweet Shoppe looks AMAZING on the screen! There are some great apps like Flipboard (I don't know if its available for Kindle or Nook, etc.) that make reading blogs like reading a magazine. Seriously awesome!

I can't really think of anything I don't like. I would certainly recommend it. I use it for reading books, browsing the web, apps for organization and education, camera/video, will likely use it for Skype.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the first iPad. Had it for awhile now. Its great for a kid movie device when we get stuck out somewhere. I read books on before bed. Its got fun games, and apps. I have music on it for everyone. I can write papers, my husband makes slideshows for his for out in the field and plays them off it. I love the size for web browsing and blog reading. We already had iPhones, and iTunes so for us it wasn't a huge stretch. I love mine and use it daily. Even without the camera. I've never had a Kindle and didn't see the point since I have the ipad. But my husband always tells me, if money was no object which would you want more in the long run?
Old 01-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm on my iPad 2 right now. I use it everyday! Mostly I read, surf the Internet, play games, etc...I have a regular kindle that I keep upstairs for reading in bed. I think the iPad is too bulky for that.

My husband and two boys have the Kindle Fire (they have regular Kindles too). They love theirs. My youngest (he's 20) has an android phone and prefers that to Apple products, so he wanted that over the iPad. He also feels the iPad is a huge waste of money! LOL!! He uses his for everything. My husband feels the iPad is too big for him. He doesn't really type much, so the Fire is great for him. He mostly reads on it and checks on his sports things. Sometimes he's watched movies on it too.

I'm glad I have the iPad, but if I could only have one device and I didn't already have a Kindle, I might go with the Fire. I spent $800 on my iPad (3g capable and 32G). That's just a lot of money for not a lot more.

The main reason I did get the iPad though, is because my mom is in a nursing home. They won't allow any wifi there, so I have to connect to 3G and use Skype there. I could just use my phone but that is just too small. I don't travel with my laptop much either anymore...just the iPad.

Last edited by 4noisyboys; 01-08-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I also don't think they are int he same category I just got a KIndle Fire and I LOVE it....it has also been a family favroite! I haven't downloaded but like 2 apps so far, but we can stream Netlfix and LOVE that! I also downloaded a nice little "note" app called Evernote and have been keeping all of my "listls" on it and I LOVE it~I have also started reading on it and feel it doesn't really hurt my eyes, yet Plus I am one that carries my camera everywhere and don't think I would get alot of use out of the iPAD camera function. Plus I like that the Kindle is smaller and the price is right. If I were going to spend the money it costs for an iPAD2, I would just spend a little extra and get a laptop I also use my Fire to surf and play games and it seems to work just fine