Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default ever tried to bathe a cat?

Seriously I must be crazy or something...my cat Patty who is wild on her normal days was really needing to be bathed. I decide to take an old rubbermaid container and wash her in it. Mostly because I thought being a smaller area it would be easier to hold her. WRONG!! I also like using the squirty thing that is attached to the kitchen sink since we dont have one in the bathroom anymore. That was also a mistake everytime I would try to rinse she would flip out and run off. She is covered with soap and water and running through the house that mixed with tile floors just does not mix so as I am chasing her I am sliding all over the place. In the process of running from me and trying to find somewhere to hide she is knocking stuff over and finally runs back out to the kitchen and uses her paw to open a cabinet where I keep all the pots and pans and it is like 10 feet long so she runs all the way through there to the end of the cabinet and Im thinking to myself yes I finally have her cornered!! I get her out of there and back into the water and finish rinsing her off. At this point I guess she has resigned herself to being washed because she no longer is scratching or biting but just sitting there letting me rinse her. I get her out, dry her off and let her go and she proceeds to run and hide from me where I suspect she will be for the rest of the day. Never ever again will I ever make the mistake of doing that ALONE!!
Old 08-18-2008, 11:44 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

I use to bathe my cat frequently.. He was already too old to start though, so we had some issues-- but I am so allergic to him, and he is just so..bleck. I gave up though. If you start when they are babies and bathe them regularily they do fine

I did just have a big chuckle based on your story though LOL.The first couple times I bathed my cat he was fine.. and then it ended up like your story thus stopping LOL.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have another cat named Pebbles and while she does not like water she loves me to much to scratch or bite. patty on the other hand must think she is queen...she is moody and is the total opposite of Pebbles. She likes to be petted but not held and gets really angry if you try to move her once she gets comfortable WHEN she does dedecide she wants you to hold her. She defenitely has her own personality and is not afraid to show you when you displease her.

Of course Patty was named after her mother who has the same personality and her mom's name is Cleo (short for Cleopatra) so I guess that her thinking she is the queen of the house is sorta fitting huh?

Last edited by jessica31876; 08-18-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This brings up a funny story from when I was a kid. My sisters and I had heard that if you put the cat into a leg of some pantyhose (with the head sticking out, of course), that you can wash them without getting scratched. We tried it with our biggest, furriest cat, and it was a fiasco! What a stupid idea! We still laugh about it now. LOL
Old 08-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

LMAO!! I can only imagine what a mess that was. Not sure I could even get her into pantyhose. She really hates to be forced to do anything. I think ther ehas to be an easier way to wash a cat though. I know people who have their cats groomed and my sons aunt works in agrooming place and she washes dogs and cats. Maybe I should ask her how she manages LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinaz View Post
This brings up a funny story from when I was a kid. My sisters and I had heard that if you put the cat into a leg of some pantyhose (with the head sticking out, of course), that you can wash them without getting scratched. We tried it with our biggest, furriest cat, and it was a fiasco! What a stupid idea! We still laugh about it now. LOL
Old 08-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had to LOL at your story. I've had similar instances w/ cats...thus the no more cats rule! LOL!

Old 08-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

lol, you are a brave one.

hmm, should I try to give Miffy a bath . . . ??
Old 08-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

she is a kitten right? If so she would be so much easier to start now. Patty has never liked them but she is also a big cat now and moody to begin with so its a little harder to hold her down. it usually takes two one to hold her and another to soap her up then rinse her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meems View Post
lol, you are a brave one.

hmm, should I try to give Miffy a bath . . . ??
Old 08-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

yes a kitten. she is quite fascinated by the bath tub. but she freaks when she sees it full of water LOL
Old 08-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

one day I was vacuuming and Patty was in the way and she hates the vacuum so I guess I got to close and I had no idea that my husband was in the bathroom filling the tub which is also Patty's favorite place to go and she runs into the bathroom without looking and jumps in the tub and my husband swear she walked on top of the water. He said she jumped in and she was not even in for half a second and had already jumped back out and took off looking for somewhere else to hide LOL It was the funniest thing youve ever seen!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by meems View Post
yes a kitten. she is quite fascinated by the bath tub. but she freaks when she sees it full of water LOL
Old 08-18-2008, 01:02 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

yep.. def start now if you intend on bathing her.. just use like a wet wash cloth at first.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Voodoo_Bryn

Cat bathing should be a form of martial art.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scrappychic

God NO! Our spaz cats will shred us. I can remember once we had to give Leroy a bath when he was a kitten cuz he got into something and his head stank. He was small enough DH did it over the kitchen sink, but he put up a fight.

*Dianne Rigdon*Jan Guest for Krystal Hartley*
Old 08-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My cat gets showers. Seriously. We have a shower with a glass door, so she gets locked in there with me. We have a removable shower head, too, so it's easy to spray her down...on the gentle spray, of course. She's not a fan, but it's a pretty painless process...for me at least.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:05 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

lol! I can totally relate!

My cat gets the occasional bath because he has a spot on his back that he can't clean because of his girth. And I usually end up wetter than he does!
Old 08-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalhartley View Post
My cat gets showers. Seriously. We have a shower with a glass door, so she gets locked in there with me. We have a removable shower head, too, so it's easy to spray her down...on the gentle spray, of course. She's not a fan, but it's a pretty painless process...for me at least.
LOL! hmm, cat showering . . .

we do have an enclosed shower stall. maybe I should get a removable shower head for it . . .
Old 08-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I haven't given Toby or Max a bath since Max bit me probably 4 or 5 years ago. He got me right on the knuckle of my thumb, and it became infected and I couldn't move it for a couple of weeks.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We used to bathe our cats and it was always a chore! In fact one time Tony climbed up the bath tiles on the side of the shower stall to get out - crazy!

Does anyone else think that wet cats look like Gremlins?

Penny
Old 08-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to mixedclawzz

oh my goodness!!! I can't stop laughing! We wouldn't even bother trying that with our cat. He was so moody. We would just take him to groomers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
one day I was vacuuming and Patty was in the way and she hates the vacuum so I guess I got to close and I had no idea that my husband was in the bathroom filling the tub which is also Patty's favorite place to go and she runs into the bathroom without looking and jumps in the tub and my husband swear she walked on top of the water. He said she jumped in and she was not even in for half a second and had already jumped back out and took off looking for somewhere else to hide LOL It was the funniest thing youve ever seen!!
Old 08-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Here is our other cat Zoey during her bath (pretty much is my husbands cat because she is always follwoing him around):