Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default I want a GC to the Shoppe for Christmas

Does the person who buys it for me have to have an account with the shoppe or can she buy it without registering? I'm far more likely to get if if she doesn't have to register, lol.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My DH has gotten me several. He's never metioned needing to register...
Old 11-18-2012, 12:07 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Hopefully somebody can confirm that. I just have no clue.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:40 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalhartley View Post
Hopefully somebody can confirm that. I just have no clue.
And hey, I want you to know that i appreciate that you said that. Because it really kinda hurts my feelings when I post a thread and 185 people view it and only like 5 people respond to it. : )
Old 11-18-2012, 12:44 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I'm pretty sure you have to have a store account to check out b/c usually if I try when I'm logged out it makes me log in.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:46 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
And hey, I want you to know that i appreciate that you said that. Because it really kinda hurts my feelings when I post a thread and 185 people view it and only like 5 people respond to it. : )
And that's exactly why I did it.

eta:
And not just with you. It's a pain to respond when I'm browsing on my phone, but it's just lazy and rude if I'm at the computer, so I'm trying to improve in that area.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You need to register, it's that way for tax purposes if I can remember correctly (I once starting a thread with questions about this).

What I did based on the subsequent discussion is that I set up another account that only serves for GCs (and since there's NO purchased product in it, it's ethically OK to share the password with others). It hasn't had much success though. The people who give me GCs just registered themselves with no probs and the rest just keep avoiding it for the most part. ;-)

Last edited by adrianka; 11-18-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Because it really kinda hurts my feelings when I post a thread and 185 people view it and only like 5 people respond to it. : )
I've been guilty of this. I've always figured that if I don't have anything relevant to add to the conversation, that it's better just to keep my mouth shut and not add something that's not going to add value for the person reading it. Kinda like in the sneak peek threads where I'll see there's a new post and click on it to see the next sneak, and it'll just be someone saying that they like the sneaks or something. (I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's just a bit disappointing when I expect to see a new layout)

I guess it really could depend upon how many views/responses the thread already has, wouldn't it? If a lot of folks have already responded, I can probably safely duck my head and back out without saying anything. However, if there are already a lot of views, I should probably add something. And I will, sometimes, say that I don't have anything to add. I should probably be more deliberate about it, though.

ETA: I hope you get your GC
Old 11-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateD View Post
I've been guilty of this. I've always figured that if I don't have anything relevant to add to the conversation, that it's better just to keep my mouth shut and not add something that's not going to add value for the person reading it. Kinda like in the sneak peek threads where I'll see there's a new post and click on it to see the next sneak, and it'll just be someone saying that they like the sneaks or something. (I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's just a bit disappointing when I expect to see a new layout)

I guess it really could depend upon how many views/responses the thread already has, wouldn't it? If a lot of folks have already responded, I can probably safely duck my head and back out without saying anything. However, if there are already a lot of views, I should probably add something. And I will, sometimes, say that I don't have anything to add. I should probably be more deliberate about it, though.

ETA: I hope you get your GC
I feel the same way! If I don't have anything helpful to add, I try to avoid commenting. I'm a chatty one, so it required a bit of self-training, but I'm getting there slowly. :-) I admit I've been guilty of commenting in the sneaks thread, but I've cut that down and try to place my comments on FB instead. :-) I always thought I was annoying when doing it. :-D It's interesting to know that people perceive this in various ways.

Last edited by adrianka; 11-18-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

I haven't a clue but I'm thinking I want one too so I'll be watching this thread.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

My hubby created an account.

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Kellie...just tested it and yes, it prompted me to register...
Old 11-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Dh has an account just for buying me GC's.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

My MIL registered when she got one for me back in July.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Do new comments bump a thread back to the top? So more people have a chance of seeing it? I would think comments of any kind (on a peek thread, etc.), would help keep the thread active, regardless of whether there's any new content or wisdom added. Otherwise, I think NOT commenting when you've read or seen would sort of be like walking away from someone who just asked you a question in real life without saying anything. Not that I've ever had anyone do that to me or anything....
Old 11-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yep - it does bump it back up to the top. Well, I know it does if you push "new posts"

So yeah - I just told hubby he should register here so he could get me a gift card, hint hint. And he said to go ahead and make him an account. I asked if he wanted me to get the gift card for myself as well and he said "sounds good." Sigh - men :/
Old 11-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Kellie maybe you'll have to ask her to send like a Visa gift card to you? Then she could just buy it at a store and mail it to you. If I was asking for a GC to the shoppe, from my momma, I'd never get it because she just doesn't have the know-how to do it. She calls me all the time and says "I want this thing thats at this website, can you use my credit card and order it for me please?" .... I call myself "Mom n Dads internet secretary" ... lol!
Old 11-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

well what I did was make a wish list for what I wanted here and my daughter (since she is the only one who really knows where I shop for a reason LOL) paid for my stuff on my account. I trust her and that way she did not pay for a gift card which may or may not cover what I wanted. I know thats not the answer for everyone but maybe might help if it was someone close like your husband or parents or something.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 11-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My hubby would just tell me to buy the stuff myself. He'd never get me a gift card from a scrappy place. How cool that some of yours do!
Old 11-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree with Sherri lol.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Now View Post
Do new comments bump a thread back to the top? So more people have a chance of seeing it? I would think comments of any kind (on a peek thread, etc.), would help keep the thread active, regardless of whether there's any new content or wisdom added. Otherwise, I think NOT commenting when you've read or seen would sort of be like walking away from someone who just asked you a question in real life without saying anything. Not that I've ever had anyone do that to me or anything....
I look at it more like I'm just overhearing a conversation until I become a part of it, unless someone has specifically asked me a question (which has never happened ). Especially on threads where the topic isn't obvious until you open up the thread and read it. So, it's not so much that I'm walking away without answering a question that I've been asked, but that I'm not butting into a conversation that I wasn't a part of in the first place. I guess that probably says a lot about my personality .
Old 11-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I look at it more like I'm just overhearing a conversation until I become a part of it, unless someone has specifically asked me a question (which has never happened ). Especially on threads where the topic isn't obvious until you open up the thread and read it. So, it's not so much that I'm walking away without answering a question that I've been asked, but that I'm not butting into a conversation that I wasn't a part of in the first place. I guess that probably says a lot about my personality .
This is how I think about it, too. Sometimes I have to pop in to a thread to even see what it's about... and once I do see, it's not always something I have a comment for. And, I won't comment if someone already basically said what I would have said... such as "I don't know". I just don't see the point in it. It's nothing personal.

((ETA: I've popped into this thread about 6 times just to see what suggestions were offered. I'm at the table persay, I'm listening in, I'm interested but I'm the one sipping her coffee, nodding and smiling nicely.... silently because I have nothing to add.... although now I AM adding something. LOL!))

Last edited by YepBrook; 11-18-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Haha, this thread makes me happy with all its comments. : ) If I open a thread, I try to leave a comment, even if it is just "blah blah".

EXCEPT on the sneak peeks thread. I never comment unless I have a peek to offer. I agree with the poster who said it gets her hopes up to see a new post and then for it to just be a comment without anything pretty to look at.

But I posted the other day with {what I thought was} an amazing picture from my husband's trip, and it got viewed a LOT but had less than 10 comments. It made me think that no one likes me and I'm totally irrelevant here. Maybe I have issues, but there it is.

Anyway, about the gc, I'll suggest the Visa GC, too, if she doesn't want to register, but it's not really that complicated, and I like the idea of being free to shop here. Money is really tight since we moved to Manila, so the gc would let me keep spending $10 twice a month so I don't miss out on those featured designer kits. : )
Old 11-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We all have issues, Kellie

I was one of the ones who looked at that thread and didn't comment. I remember looking at the picture you posted and thinking that I wanted to look at the others you linked to, but didn't have time then. So, I made a mental note (bad idea!) to come back and look at those pictures and comment later. Of course, I totally forgot about it. Sorry

I'm thankful for this conversation. It's made me realize that I need to be more deliberate when I'm clicking through the forum, and the gallery too. It's so easy to forget that there people on the other side of those avatar pictures. Other people who may just have a lot of the same insecurities that I have. Well, forget isn't quite the right word, but I'm having a hard time finding exactly the word to describe what I mean.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Guilty! I'm one for reading posts but not commenting unless I can be helpful. I'm like that in life though too. I sit back and observe, only really getting involved if there's something I can offer. I didn't reply to this thread because I have NO idea about the Gift Certificates, and thought I'd leave it to those who did. You know it's not because I don't love ya Kellie

You're so not alone in starting posts that don't get many replies. I get that all the time. I'll certainly make a better effort to comment if I click on a post now. Watch my post count soar
Old 11-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

FYI: I just popped back in here! love ya Kellie!!! Now off to go find that photo...

Old 11-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen22 View Post
So yeah - I just told hubby he should register here so he could get me a gift card, hint hint. And he said to go ahead and make him an account. I asked if he wanted me to get the gift card for myself as well and he said "sounds good." Sigh - men :/
DH has gotten me a few SSD gc's over the years, and I think every one one of them was actually just him telling me to get myself one. I'm fine with that--I get to buy new scrap stuff regardless of who does the actual gc buying, and DH doesn't snoop around SSD, LOL. I usually say nice things here about him, but there have been a few rants from time to time better left in the past!

Quote:
Anyway, about the gc, I'll suggest the Visa GC, too, if she doesn't want to register, but it's not really that complicated, and I like the idea of being free to shop here. Money is really tight since we moved to Manila, so the gc would let me keep spending $10 twice a month so I don't miss out on those featured designer kits. : )
I often buy myself Visa gcs for scrap stuff as a way of budgeting, and I've learned that some of them work well online and some don't. Once you buy the Visa GC, you log on and register it. Some cards ask for too little info about you (address, etc), and then the more reputable companies like PayPal can't put the charge through because they can't verify what they need to. If she goes the Visa GC route, she should stay away from the ones at Target. I usually buy Vanilla Visa and the ones from my grocery store. Unfortunately there's no real identifying name on those, but the small print says they're put out by MetaBank. The MetaBank one says it's valid only in the US, but you'd know more than I would about whether it will work for you at a US store.

Last edited by rach3975; 11-18-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
DH has gotten me a few SSD gc's over the years, and I think every one one of them was actually just him telling me to get myself one. I'm fine with that--I get to buy new scrap stuff regardless of who does the actual gc buying, and DH doesn't snoop around SSD, LOL. I usually say nice things here about him, but there have been a few rants from time to time better left in the past!

I often buy myself Visa gcs for scrap stuff as a way of budgeting, and I've learned that some of them work well online and some don't. Once you buy the Visa GC, you log on and register it. Some cards ask for too little info about you (address, etc), and then the more reputable companies like PayPal can't put the charge through because they can't verify what they need to. If she goes the Visa GC route, she should stay away from the ones at Target. I usually buy Vanilla Visa and the ones from my grocery store. Unfortunately there's no real identifying name on those, but the small print says they're put out by MetaBank. The MetaBank one says it's valid only in the US, but you'd know more than I would about whether it will work for you at a US store.
Rachel, what about the online visa gift cards; have you ever used those?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

OK, OK, you've convinced me!!

And I will no longer comment on the peek thread... I am guilty of that! Sorry!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm commenting even though I have nothing new to say, but I'm just supporting this thread that so many people looked at but didn't leave a comment. Because that happens to me ALL the time and so I don't really like to start threads.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:29 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Now View Post
OK, OK, you've convinced me!!

And I will no longer comment on the peek thread... I am guilty of that! Sorry!
PS: I personally love it when people post comments in the peek thread. LOVE IT.

I say do what you like, there are no rules. You don't have to comment when you read someone's post and you don't have to refrain from commenting in the peek thread. Unless, of course, the post specifically says "no chatter in this thread", like the portfolio tracker one.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:02 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I bought some GCs here, but I was logged into my account when I did. LOL
Old 11-21-2012, 07:15 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm guilty too! I sometimes don't reply with anything cause I have nothing to add that wasn't already added or I just don't know the answer... but also because I find replying while on my cell a pain in the rear, and forget to do it once Im back at my desktop or ipad.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:42 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
I say do what you like, there are no rules. You don't have to comment when you read someone's post and you don't have to refrain from commenting in the peek thread. Unless, of course, the post specifically says "no chatter in this thread", like the portfolio tracker one.
I totally agree with this! This is your home, too, Mary. : ) If it makes you happy to leave comments in the Sneak Peek thread, have at it.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Please, if you like chattering in the Sneak Peek thread, go ahead and chatter! I wasn't trying to talk anyone out of it. And I wasn't complaining about it. I don't mind seeing the chatter (and even if I did, so what?) and I've probably even added a comment in there once or twice myself. All I was saying is that sometimes it's a bit disappointing to see that there's a new post and not to see another pretty layout. But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't want there to be chatter. Have I rambled enough??
Old 11-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Please, if you like chattering in the Sneak Peek thread, go ahead and chatter! I wasn't trying to talk anyone out of it. And I wasn't complaining about it. I don't mind seeing the chatter (and even if I did, so what?) and I've probably even added a comment in there once or twice myself. All I was saying is that sometimes it's a bit disappointing to see that there's a new post and not to see another pretty layout. But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't want there to be chatter. Have I rambled enough??
It's all good!! Let's change the topic back now to how awesome Kellie is...
Old 11-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I'm sure nothing you said sounded as discouraging or complaining. :-)

And I hope nothing I said sounded like it, either! I just had an impression quite some time ago - maybe even two years ago? - that one shouldn't probably overdo it, so I learned to restrain myself, that's all. But I actually like if people chatter there. :-)

Old 11-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Haha, this thread makes me happy with all its comments. : ) If I open a thread, I try to leave a comment, even if it is just "blah blah".

EXCEPT on the sneak peeks thread. I never comment unless I have a peek to offer. I agree with the poster who said it gets her hopes up to see a new post and then for it to just be a comment without anything pretty to look at.
Ha, see and from a designer's perspective, the lack of comments makes me feel like it's only CT members wanting to show off their layouts and no one's excited about the products.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My hubby registered in the store so he could buy GCs for me!!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
Ha, see and from a designer's perspective, the lack of comments makes me feel like it's only CT members wanting to show off their layouts and no one's excited about the products.
If we weren't excited about the products, the sneak peek thread wouldn't get 50,000 views
Old 11-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

But I posted the other day with {what I thought was} an amazing picture from my husband's trip, and it got viewed a LOT but had less than 10 comments. It made me think that no one likes me and I'm totally irrelevant here. Maybe I have issues, but there it is.

I loved your picture! Didn't comment because sometimes I'm not sure what to say. I always think my comments are boring and I get all self conscious.