Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > Hybrid Chatter
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2011, 10:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Are the Zutter supplies compatible with the Cinch?

I'm really liking the idea of getting a binder. I'm just about sold on the Cinch, but I like the accessories for the Bind-It-All better. Does anyone know if the Zutter o-wires will work with the Cinch?
Old 02-01-2011, 01:34 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

No, they won't work with the Cinch. Can I ask what you like about them? I'm only curious. I've owned both machines and personally I like the Cinch accessories way better - they seemed to be much better quality and just "sturdier"? than the zutter wires. But everyone has their own likes / dislikes, so that may just be me. I also like that there are brushed silver wires available for the Cinch (not so with the zutter).

Old 02-01-2011, 04:57 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I have the BiA and I really like it, but then the Cinch was not an option since it's very expensive over here (150% more than the BiA).

They do have very nice binding rings. The online stores I shop at over here carry a wide range of colors of O-Rings, like black, white, baby blue, pink, red, silver, antique silver, antique brass and brown. I really love the antique silver and antique brass ones.

At my online shop they say that you can use the Cinch binding rings with the BiA, but you have prepare (bend) them a little before they fit in there.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the feedback

My opinions are totally based on what I see on the product websites at this point. I haven't actually seen and touched any of it. I really like the idea of the cover-alls - although I guess they could be used with either system since it doesn't come pre-punched. There seems to be a wider variety of colors (and sizes?) for the Zutter oings and there is also the option to buy them in bulk which makes them a lot more affordable than the ones for the Cinch. Of course, the Cinch spiral bindings look awesome.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Kate, you can definitely use any brand of chipboard cover with the Cinch, but not with the BIA. One of my biggest problems with my BIA (and the main reason I got rid of it) was that I felt I was really limited to ONLY using the Zutter brand chipboard with it, and then sometimes once I covered it with paper that had any thickness to it (and there is a HUGE variation in thickness of cardstock and scrapbook paper out there) I would sometimes have a major problem getting it into the machine to bind it - like it was too thick once the paper was on there to fit it in, and often I would have to force it in and then it would get all messed up. I could have punched my chipboard and paper separately and then glued them together, but I felt that this defeated the purpose of having an at-home binding machine.

Personally, I felt that the Zutter chipboard was too thin for my liking - some projects I wanted to use a thicker chipboard for my album or book cover, but that wasn't an option with the BIA as it wouldn't fit into the machine.

I've been really happy with that with the Cinch - It doesn't seem to matter how thick the chipboard is, it'll fit and it'll punch through with no problem. After the first time I used my Cinch, I got rid of my BIA because I knew I'd never use it again.

I realize this issue with the cover thickness is getting away from your original questions though. About the oings, I haven't had much luck finding that variety of colors for the Zutter like Karen found - I just found them in white and black, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right stores online? Again, that would probably just go back to personal preference as I don't see myself using the colored rings - my personal style would probably only have me using the silver, black and white. But I can say for certain that the Cinch rings are MUCH sturdier and higher quality than the Zutter rings - so I don't mind paying the slightly higher price (although for me here on Maui, the price is really almost the same once it's divided down to individual piece of wire, even if I bought the Zutter wires in bulk).

I would definitely try to go somewhere and look at the binding wires and compare them in person to see what you think before making a decision - you might find that you have a personal preference for one vs. the other. I have a friend who strongly prefers the Zutter wires despite everything I've described above, so you really just never know!

Old 02-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hmlentz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenTapler View Post
I also like that there are brushed silver wires available for the Cinch (not so with the zutter).
Where do you get your supplies? Is there somewhere online that has wonderful prices?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:14 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Heidi, to be honest, I haven't really shopped around that much. Shipping to me in Hawaii is prohibitive, which is ridiculous IMO (it costs the same to send something to me via USPS Priority Mail as it does anywhere else in the US, so why do they feel the need to charge me 2-3 times as much!?!?). I can sometimes purchase supplies at my local Ben Franklin (small craft / hobby store), but they are very hit or miss with having things in stock. I usually purchase my Cinch products from Taylored Expressions HERE. Her prices are comparable to what I get in my local store and her shipping prices to me are reasonable and her customer service is awesome. I like shopping with small, individually owned companies like that over larger corporate stores. I know Taylor personally and do some design work for her (with her stamps) and she's a sweetheart, and since her prices are about what I'm used to paying - I just order from her. But honestly I'm not really sure how they compare to other online stores? But I do order lots of other papercrafting supplies from Taylor on a regular basis, so it works out well for me.

Sorry, I'm not sure that was really much help!? LOL.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:18 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Also, just FYI - Taylor has a great Cinch how-to video on You Tube that pretty much sold me on getting the Cinch. Here's the link if anyone is interested. It's pretty informative: http://www.youtube.com/tayloredexpre...16/0SwflrQTeu8

Old 02-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for all the great input, ladies!

Jen - I'm definitely going to look around for places I can take a look at both the products so I can compare them.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for this thread and all the great info (will be looking at the video) ... I have a BIA and have been wondering about the Cinch ... I have a GC at the LSS that would essentially buy me the Cinch with nothing out of pocket ... but I did NOT realize that you couldn't use the rings with the Cinch ... so guess I will use the BIA for awhile longer because I have a good sized stash!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

There hasn't been any talk about the Cinch coming out with a 12" punch has there? Would be nice to not have to fiddle ... just walk up ... and punch...
Old 02-18-2011, 07:29 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Great thread and info. I have the BIA and have been eyeing off the cinch too.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

argghhh after messing up the punching of my 12x12" calendar ... I think I am going to buy the Cinch! I thought it was in there correctly...but you have to hold it vertically to punch ... if I only did small projects it would be no biggie ...

...so now to print 13 DOUBLE SIDED 12x12" pages AGAIN....