Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which E Reader?
Kindle 34 65.38%
Nook 15 28.85%
Other 3 5.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2011, 09:06 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Kindle vs. Nook or others

OK- I have no clue about any of these, but think it would be nice to have one. Tell me what you've got and what you love/hate about them. THANKS!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just recently bought my Kindle and did the same research you're getting started on now. I think you'll discover that everyone pretty much loves what they have! So I don't think you'll regret either decision.

I don't have any experience owning a Nook since I went with Kindle, but the things I love about my Kindle are:
  • Super long battery life. I've read about 20 books and probably charged it 3-4 times.
  • The charger cord is AWESOME - You can charge through a wall outlet or your computer, and since its standard mini-USB, the charger even works for my blackberry
  • Integration with Amazon - super easy one-click purchase of all content
  • availability of nearly 1 million titles in ebook format
  • supports pdf files and other documents, Amazon also provides really great instructions on how to put your own document content onto your Kindle (through a personalized e-mail address they provide! super easy)

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I can't add anything to what Becky said, love my Kindle - especially the long battery life. I went over a month between the last charge. LOVE being able to put PDFs on it! I'm also looking forward to them opening up the library option soon. Though I have over 200 unread on there now, 98% of which were free.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I researched this a lot, and have decided to go with Nook. I love that they have color. You can also put PDFs on Nook.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:53 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My hubby researched this a ton before I finally got one for him... decided on the Kindle for many of the same reasons as Becky stated... He also loves the option of having it synced up to his droid so he can read during his lunch hour and traveling without having to carry around the kindle...and it remembers where he last left off. Please note that my hubby HATES reading... always has... but with the kindle he has been reading almost every night!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i don't have any experience with a nook - but i have had a kindle for about 3 years. i really love it - i am on amazon all.the.time, so for me it makes sense to have an amazon product. i use the kindle app on my iphone and ipad now a ton (even more than i use the actual kindle) - and i've basically given the kindle to DH i basically just LOVE having an eeader ... it's so incredibly convenient! it makes reading while breastfeeding and/or holding a sleeping baby so easy b/c you can do it one handed

eta: i think it was when juliette was a baby that i started using my iphone to read more than the actual kindle - b/c it is backlit and i could read in the dark! w/ the kindle it's like an actual book - so you have to have a clip-on light to read at night ... not sure if the nook is the same way. also not sure if you have an iphone/ipad? if so - the kindle app is great - i assume there is something similar for the nook? if not - that would definitely sway me over to a kindle ...

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 04-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Another Kindle fan here for the reasons above, I love mine and so glad I got it!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have been debating getting one also but have a couple other questions if someone could answer them please

1. Can you change the size of the text on the Kindle - as in make the print larger?

2. Is there only 1 size Kindle or does it come in different sizes?

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm going through this same thing and am leaning towards the Nook Color. How much do you all spend on books each month? I really don't need another monthly expense and like that with the Nook I can get library books (I know Kindle is coming out with that also at some point).
Old 04-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to tettletop20 Send a message via Skype™ to tettletop20

I'm gonna be in the minority and go with other here...

I've got a Pandigital Novel 7" and I love it. Hubby did a lot of research when he bought it for me and even ran into someone at the store who previously had a Kindle and now has this and loves it.

I've had it for almost a month and really like it! It operates on an Android system, has Wi-Fi (which I love b/c I don't have a smart phone or anything like that so getting online in other places is great), has an app market, can load music, photos, and even has an office suite on it in case you need to look at word documents, etc. You download books through Barnes and Noble (nookbooks).

Seriously, I love it! I keep telling hubby he did a great job picking it out for me!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Love my Nook Color - also love that they just came out with apps for it - so I can play games, check email, read files, etc. It can do a lot more than the Kindle by far. And I love that it's in color and backlit - which was a huge factor in my decision.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I love my Nook. You can put PDF files, photos, and music on it. It syncs with my Droid and has quick shopping through Barnes and Noble, free Friday and other great deals, a fun newsletter you can read, good battery life, and a great selection of books. You can actually sync it with up to five devices such as phone, computer, etc. I have my scrapbook pages set up for my screen saver. You can also use the lend me feature and read library books on it.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love my Kindle for the reasons that Beckie mentioned above. The Nook color sounds pretty cool, but it didn't appeal to me since I've got an ipod touch and an Android phone that I use for games, email, etc. I was just looking at it for a reading device. I honestly went with the Kindle because that's what my sister had and we are able to share books. You might also check with friends to see what they have - if you've got more friends with one or the other, you might go that route just for the book lending feature.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewilcox View Post
I have been debating getting one also but have a couple other questions if someone could answer them please

1. Can you change the size of the text on the Kindle - as in make the print larger?

2. Is there only 1 size Kindle or does it come in different sizes?

Thanks!
Yes, you can make the print bigger, very easily. I usually do it so I don't have to use my reading glasses.

I *think* they come in different sizes, but I'm not completely sure on that.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a Kindle and love it for all the same reasons mentioned above. I actually love that it is not backlit because of the eyestrain it would cause me. I can read it in bright sunlight or even in the dark (since I bought a cover with a built-in light.) It is small enough and light weight enough that I have it in my purse at all times and can pull it out and read whenever and wherever.

I don't think that you could go wrong with any of the choices. The Kindle won out for me becasue I know more people that have a Kindle and can use the lending feature to borrow books.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

After reading this thread, and thinking I was getting the Nook, I may have just decided to switch to the Kindle. It makes sense for me since I live at Amazon.com.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rbeckie View Post
I just recently bought my Kindle and did the same research you're getting started on now. I think you'll discover that everyone pretty much loves what they have! So I don't think you'll regret either decision.

I don't have any experience owning a Nook since I went with Kindle, but the things I love about my Kindle are:
  • Super long battery life. I've read about 20 books and probably charged it 3-4 times.
  • The charger cord is AWESOME - You can charge through a wall outlet or your computer, and since its standard mini-USB, the charger even works for my blackberry
  • Integration with Amazon - super easy one-click purchase of all content
  • availability of nearly 1 million titles in ebook format
  • supports pdf files and other documents, Amazon also provides really great instructions on how to put your own document content onto your Kindle (through a personalized e-mail address they provide! super easy)
What Beckie said

Old 04-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
After reading this thread, and thinking I was getting the Nook, I may have just decided to switch to the Kindle. It makes sense for me since I live at Amazon.com.
That's a huge thing for us too Paula. I always have gc's there with swagbucks, and I use those to buy books all the time. I also love that you can download samples with the Kindle, so you can read a chapter or 2 before you decide if you want to buy it. The Nook may have that too, I'm not sure, but for me it would be a big factor if I were buying again.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

another Kindle lover..I love how it reads like a book. The downfall of the nook color *I THINK* since it's lcd and backlight you can't read in the sun and stuff and I love reading at the beach and have a few beach trips planned from now thru summer so that would discourage me from that one. The pages on the kindle look identical to a book

The kindle battery lasts forever...the info says 3 weeks with wifi on or a month with it off. I keep it off unless I'm downloading something but I usually sync my kindle/phone from my mac.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 04-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Speaking of Kindles...do y'all turn it off after you are reading or put it in sleep mode? I usually don't know how long til I can read again so I've been turning it off but was unsure what most do. I usually read while waiting in the school pickup line since between the schools and release times I usually have at least 30 mins waiting. I read while cooking dinner and at night as well usually..

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 04-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm another Kindle lover! For me, the backlit screen on the Nook was a bit hard on my eyes for reading... but maybe I was just used to the Kindle and the electronic ink? I do have the Nook app on the iPad, but I find that I still prefer the Kindle.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got a Kindle because it isn't backlit, and I'm so happy with my choice. I had been reading on my phone and it was wreaking havoc on my eyes. I got a Kindle case with the built-in light that works perfectly, but does require more charging to keep it powered. Plus, I'm another one who lives at Amazon, so the Kindle was the natural choice for me too.

ETA: Marie, the Kindle comes in 2 sizes.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
Speaking of Kindles...do y'all turn it off after you are reading or put it in sleep mode? I usually don't know how long til I can read again so I've been turning it off but was unsure what most do. I usually read while waiting in the school pickup line since between the schools and release times I usually have at least 30 mins waiting. I read while cooking dinner and at night as well usually..
I usually don't but it goes into sleep mode fairly quickly..I'd say within 5-10 minutes but I've never timed it. I do keep the wireless turned off when I'm not using it.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
Mine is always in sleep mode and I too like Nikki keep the WiFi off all the time. I usually turn it on once a week to download any books I've bought during the week.

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinaz View Post
I'm going through this same thing and am leaning towards the Nook Color. How much do you all spend on books each month? I really don't need another monthly expense and like that with the Nook I can get library books (I know Kindle is coming out with that also at some point).
I can only answer for myself but I've had my Kindle since Christmas and I had the app for it on my computer for 6 month before that and I have 265 books on my Kindle right now and 72 books in my archived Items. I've also deleted off maybe 10-15 books too (only the books you get from Amazon are archived...other sites books have to be deleted off the kindle....but I keep them in a folder on my computer....if you want them out of your "active" collections) and I have spent a grand total of $4.97.

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Not all Nooks have a backlight- only the NookColor.

I have a Nook and love it. The main reason I went with Nook was because my library has a great selection of epub books. With a NOOK you can add epub, pdf, pdb, jpg, gif, png, bmp and mp3 files. Every other feature is just about the same as a Kindle.

In my opinion it all comes down to where you want to buy your books from and appearance of the ereader. They both do the same thing the same way.

eta: I also choose NOOK because it did not have buttons. I am tough on buttons. LOL!
Old 04-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I read a lot of epubs on my kindle too but I have to convert them first which isn't a big deal to me.

is the Nook touchscreen?

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 04-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

My opinion is...to figure out what you most want to do on an eeader, if it is mainly reading books I would go with the e-ink with Kindle or the Plain Nook. Their battery charge is great and and the e-ink is easy to read.

For myself, I have the Nook Color because I mainly wanted a small device that I could hold in my lap at night, that had a great color screen to check the internet, read pdf's and occasionally play a game. I read a lot but I still prefer the old fashioned "book in hand" because I have a wonderful Public library and like to get my books for free. I know there are tons of free ebooks on the internet, but most of them are not what I would read anyway. I love having a nice size screen and love showing others my digital scrapbook pages that I've downloaded to my Nook Color.

Just this week Nook color got some great upgrades that have really improved web searching and doing other great stuff. In fact yesterday I was sitting in the car waiting for my husband to finish work, I had my nookcolor with me, was able to use the wi-fi and I watched a couple of the 2011 Sweet Shoppe Member videos! It was so cool!

The only thing I dislike about my Nook Color is the battery life, although I knew going into it that the charge lasts significantly less than a regular Nook or Kindle. I adjusted to that by Powering off everytime I'm done using it.
Good luck on your choice!
Old 04-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i have a nook. i love it. i got it as a gift and beggars can't be choosers LOL

Old 04-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I use my Ipod Touch with the ereader app, I just don't feel the need to get an eeader on top of that.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I use the Kindle app on my iPad/Android
Old 04-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a Nook Color. I got it mainly b/c I like to read a lot of magazines, and the Nook Color was the option that offered that to me. I am even more in love with it now that I can download apps and such, it's really become more of a tablet, without the insane tablet price.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love my kindle!
Old 04-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love my Nook Color...
Old 04-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

LOL. Sounds like you won't be disappointed with either one.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

My DH loves his kindle. So I picked kindle
Old 04-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Another kindle lover here! My dad, sister, husband, my BFF and I all have a kindle. My other sister has a Nook Color. We all love what we have.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:48 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Add me to the list of Kindle lovers. I use my Swagbucks to buy Amazon GCs, and that's usually how I buy my Kindle books. I am also really excited that they will be adding the library loan service soon. Not sure if Nook has that or not, but they probably do in some form. Anyway, I'm sure you'll love whatever device you decide to get.

My Kindle was a lifesaver while I was at the ER and hospital all last week with Ian. LOVE the super long battery life!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:50 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Another Kindle lover here!

Pam
Old 04-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I chose the Nook a year ago over the Kindle because the Nook's battery is replacable, where at that time (and maybe still now?) the Kindle's battery was not replacable. ... as someone who has had to replace a laptop battery before, that was my deciding factor!!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:40 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderin oranges View Post
I chose the Nook a year ago over the Kindle because the Nook's battery is replacable, where at that time (and maybe still now?) the Kindle's battery was not replacable. ... as someone who has had to replace a laptop battery before, that was my deciding factor!!
you can replace the battery on the Kindle

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 04-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kindle ... no question. It also saves on the eyes. I was reading on my Storm before my Kindle and my eyes were really hurting after awhile ... now, no issues. it!!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree that it depends on what you want to use it for. I got a Nook because I wanted to download books from the library. Our library has a great selection of ebooks and I've never spent a cent for a book so far.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:10 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I went with Kindle butine is an older version but I still love it.....I know some of the other ereaders besides kindle and nook you have to download books to your computer first. I love that I can shop right from my kindle and download it all at the same time. and the Iphone app is great for that too. but it sounds like the nook can do the same thing. I think everybody is right. You probably won't go wrong with either kindle or nook.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Ok, I thought I wanted the Nook Color but I realized that your eyes will not fare well staring at a computer like screen for hours on end if you read like I do. So I got the kindle and I love it. No glare, its like reading a book. I have already read 4 on it and I am going to start another. Seriously, the Kindle is the best. Oh and if you already have books you can just email them to yourself for free using the free kindle address. I have like thousands of books and all I do is send them to myself!
Old 04-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Smile

I ::heart:: my Kindle! I've had it for 1.5 years.

I think the Nook is prolly great, too. My only hang up with the Nook, is what if B&N goes out of business and Borders is the victor? I feel like Amazon isn't going anywhere, it will be there for many years to come...

I do really wish Kindle would figure out how to let us loan books to other Kindle users, I hear the Nook does that...

I love how easy it is to get new books, and the battery life is super long!

Public Relations for www.digitalscrapper.com
(Photoshop & PSE digital scrapbook training)
Old 04-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a Nook and I love it. I did research on both of them and decided on the Nook because at the time it had a few features that the Kindle didn't (but Amazon has since added those features to the Kindle).

Another reason I chose the Nook is that B&N takes PayPal but Amazon does not. I buy B&N gift cards online using PayPal, then enter them into my B&N online account where they stay until I use them to purchase books. I just have to keep an eye on my gift card balance to make sure I don't run out of funds. I am entirely too impulsive to have them automatically charge my Visa for books that I purchase. By using gift cards I am able to control my spending and I am able to use PayPal. It is a win-win for me, and I don't have to listen to my DH bitch about the CC bill. LOL

Eva

Eva Kipler
BLOGSWEET SHOPPE STORE TWITTER FACEBOOK FAN PAGE NEWSLETTER SIGNUP

♥ SNAG IF YOU ARE A FAN! ♥ ------------->
Old 04-29-2011, 09:42 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaK View Post
Another reason I chose the Nook is that B&N takes PayPal but Amazon does not. I buy B&N gift cards online using PayPal, then enter them into my B&N online account where they stay until I use them to purchase books. I just have to keep an eye on my gift card balance to make sure I don't run out of funds. I am entirely too impulsive to have them automatically charge my Visa for books that I purchase. By using gift cards I am able to control my spending and I am able to use PayPal. It is a win-win for me, and I don't have to listen to my DH bitch about the CC bill. LOL

Eva
If you have a Paypal Mastercard/Debit card, you can use it to straight out buy from Amazon or to buy Amazon giftcards Yep, that is what I do so DH doesn't complain about the cost of books. LOL
Old 04-29-2011, 09:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
If you have a Paypal Mastercard/Debit card, you can use it to straight out buy from Amazon or to buy Amazon giftcards Yep, that is what I do so DH doesn't complain about the cost of books. LOL
PayPal makes you upgrade your account from a personal account to have their debit card. I want to keep my PayPal account as a personal account. Altho... I have been tempted, but then again I run into the problem of my impulsiveness. If I could use my PayPal debit card anywhere I would be in trouble! I have to be very careful about how I use my credit cards. I will overspend without even thinking twice about it. The only way I know to control it is to not have one connected to my PayPal. I still have joint CCs with my DH -- but he keeps me in line (or tries his best to).

Eva Kipler
BLOGSWEET SHOPPE STORE TWITTER FACEBOOK FAN PAGE NEWSLETTER SIGNUP

♥ SNAG IF YOU ARE A FAN! ♥ ------------->
Old 04-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well I have been wanting one of these for quite a while and I finally decided I would just get an iPad because I could read and do so much more with it. So do any of you use your iPad for reading? I'm just wondering if it's going to bother my eyes and if I would be happier with a Kindle???