Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-02-2014, 02:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Project Life 2014?

Who's going to be starting or continuing this year? Digital, paper, or hybrid? What's your process? If you're continuing, are you making any changes? Any tips to share?

I'm starting my 2nd year. Midway through last year I switched to 100% digital, and I'm sticking with that. Things stay in my digital pockets much better than in my Becky Higgins pockets, LOL.

I use the Diaro app to journal throughout the week. This year I've tended to work on PL pages in batches a few weeks at a time. I place all the photos and journaling for a few weeks into their LOs, then I come back and add in the scrappy stuff. I think that will still work better for me than doing a week at a time every week, but I want to be better about doing it every 2-3 weeks rather than constantly being a few months behind and playing catch up.

Making my PL LOs less cluttered and a little more scrappy is still a work in progress, so I'll keep trying to be more selective in what photos and journaling I include. I watched a little of Becky Higgins's Creative Live class when it was free, and one thing she said that resonated with me is that 7 or 8 photos a week are enough for her to capture and remember the week, even if there are other good ones she's leaving out. Easier said than done on the weeks I have a lot of photos, but I'm trying!
Old 01-02-2014, 02:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think I'm starting. Hybrid. Maybe. If I can stick with it. I think my problem last year was trying to include every single thing we did, and that was making it too hard to get the overview. What I was forgetting is that PL isn't necessarily the ONLY way I can preserve memories-- I think if I do just one photo per day, like you said-- 7 or 8 photos a week-- and journal a bit, then I'll be able to get that day-to-day life on paper... then I can take those other photos I'm in love with, those other memories, and put them down in other layouts. My goal is to do as little stress as possible about memory preservation, and just focus on getting the stories down that I can-- guilt-free.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 01-02-2014, 03:25 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I tried hybrid last year and didn't get very far. I enjoyed it, but printing everything out was my problem, so I'm going to go with digital this time.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm going to try it (again) this year. My plan is simple so I won't feel so overwhelmed. I'm actually considering 1 page for each week but I'll see what happens. I'm going to try to do my pages weekly because if I get to far behind I know I will quit.

Does anyone know if there is a PL insert with the days of the week that you can journal what you did that day?
Old 01-02-2014, 05:15 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Me. Digital.

I'm not worrying over a pic a day, or over filling up a specific week or month. Mine will be freeflowing, and monthly designations where it seems fitting.

I have a couple of templates ready to start throwing things into while I sort them, and I'll update it every Friday night.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

me... hybrid again

the only change I'm making is that I'm not commuting to doing weekly 2 page spreads... I'll stick to my weekly routine, but I'll be ok if it only fits on one page or even a half page that I finish filling the next week or 5 pages... I'll date things, but no more weekly title pages or week numbers... and I'll use dividers to split up the months, but only because I have a goal of using up my stash this year and I have a set in my desk lol
Old 01-02-2014, 05:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm going to attempt PL hybrid for 2014. I have downloaded the momento app, but I have yet to even open it! and it keeps asking my how my day was even!

ETA: I think I'm going to do it more as a flowing month rather than strict weeks too, because some weeks are so rote and typical and some chuck full of fun stuff. I don't want to get stuck feeling like I need to fill up a week.

Last edited by crecia27; 01-02-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

free flowing! I love that! That is what i've been doing too but I never knew how to word it! I love the approach and it is what has kept me happy. I do mine all digital on pocket style A and then print off photos or cards and slip them into the protectors
Old 01-02-2014, 06:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I'm continuing, this will be year #2 for me!! I'm 100% digital!! I did "weekly" spreads last year and while I'll still be doing my 2 page spread every Monday...I'm not keeping track of the weeks....making weekly cards was my least favorite thing of scrapping PL last year so I'm switching to monthly "sections. So my first spread will have a month card that says "January 2014" or something to that effect....maybe it will be a calendar or maybe it will just say January or Jan....not sure yet and then "week" will be a 2 page spread they just won't have that "week xx" card!!!

I'm still using Oh Life to keep track of my journaling and almost all my photos are exclusively iPhone photos and I use Photoful to keep track of those!! I'm so excited for Monday (of next week) to come around because I can't wait to scrap my first spread!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-02-2014, 07:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is "sort of" year 4 for me. The first year I only did our weekends, and I worked a week behind. Then I quit in August when I had to go back to work (I'm a teacher) but then after the year was over I went back and finished up with what pictures I had.

In 2012 I did a monthly project but then in July I used the Project Life system to get our 2 week Disney trip in album(s) and fell in love with the pockets... so I finished 2012 using the free flowing method. Both of those years were hybrid.

In 2013, I planned to do hybrid and free flowing but I did the first week digital and loved it so by week 2 I had decided to do digital and weekly. I just love sitting down on a Friday night (which is the end of my week... it's my reward on a Friday night and a great way to kick off the weekend) and putting it together. So this year I decided not to mess with what works: digital and weekly. I am going to change my style a bit and go from a graphic, clean style to a cozy, scrapbooked style, but definitely staying what what worked as far as digital and weekly.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Me. year #3, hybrid. I'm going to more of a monthly thing than weekly though.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Those of you who are going monthly, do you mean 1 spread per month or that you'll do as many Jan spreads as you need but photos from the 1st and 25th could end up next to each other with the 13th on another spread?
Old 01-02-2014, 08:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I plan to do chronological for the month no set number of pages, not sure what I'll do if I can't fill up the last page... I rarely have a shortage of photos though.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not a PL'er but I'm toying with doing a monthly recap sort of thing. ( mostly because I want a photo book at the end of the year ) I have decided how structured or unstructured I want to be with it. Probably pretty laid back LOL
Old 01-02-2014, 09:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Those of you who are going monthly, do you mean 1 spread per month or that you'll do as many Jan spreads as you need but photos from the 1st and 25th could end up next to each other with the 13th on another spread?
neither... I'll be doing as many layouts as I need, but it will be totally chronological... so I'll just be filling in as many pockets as needed each week but start the next month on a new page to separate the months
Old 01-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergw View Post
neither... I'll be doing as many layouts as I need, but it will be totally chronological... so I'll just be filling in as many pockets as needed each week but start the next month on a new page to separate the months
yes. What Heather said. I'm just going more with the flow.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm changing to monthly this year and will finish up 2013 when time allows. Realised that full time study and life in general didn't leave any time for weekly PL scrapping so I decided monthly would be better - if some months have 4 pages thats fine too.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 01-02-2014, 10:01 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to mnm_y2

In 2009 I followed a "9 pictures on the 9th" challenge and then I also did a monthly calendar page with notes, and pictures and I put all those into a photobook and I love it. I have tried the P365 and PL for 3-4 years now and I have zero years completed. zero pages printed.

So I think this year I'm going to work on those unfinished years and finish what I can. And for this year, do a daily page per month as well as a monthly recap. I want to incorporate weekly pictures of my kids so maybe a P52 of sorts? I'm not committing to anything lol
Old 01-02-2014, 10:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I want to do what Darcy said. Just free flowing. I am hoping just keep it up in Photoshop and when a page is full then it is full. I am hoping that will let me actually finish a year for once.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergw View Post
Aah, thanks! That makes sense. I'll probably still do it weekly for now. I always have way too many photos, and if I didn't have that expectation of 1 spread per week most weeks I could end up with a 300 page PL album and no time to scrap non-PL LOs! But next fall when my youngest starts full day school and I'm taking fewer photos during the week, I could see switching to monthly like this.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
For me it just means that I'll just digitally fill pockets form Jan 1 through Jan 31 and that will be my month. Then I'll start a new month and fill pockets from Feb 1 to Feb 28th and so on and so on!! I'm just not gonna limit myself to a 2 page spread for every week it might be 1 page or it might be 3 pages for it might be 4 pages!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-08-2014, 02:20 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I tried it weekly and 12x12 last year, and didn't keep it up for very long. This year I'm doing hybrid, 6x8 and free flowing. Hoping it will work better for me.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm continuing... Not changing a lot. Going to try different design templates and try to stick to only three fonts and use the same calendar throughout so it flows together.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is year three for me. I do it mostly traditional, some hyrbid, journaling on pictures, etc.

I do weekly 12X12