Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2023, 08:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to lorigaud
Default Favorite Road Trip?

Anyone doing any road trips this summer? I want to live vicariously through you since I'm not doing any big trips this year.

I did a road trip last year from Maine, through VA, NC and FL which was an absolute blast. 2 of my best friends and I planned it all out during the winter, then we hit the road in July for 10 fabulous days. So much fun! I just bought Blago's new road trip kit and can't wait to scrap with it!

Old 05-07-2023, 08:47 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

My best road trip was from San Antonio, Texas all the way up to Tacoma, Washington. There were stops in Roswell, New Mexico; Flagstaff, Arizona to see the Grand Canyon; Modesto, California (more for convenience); Northern California for the Red Woods; and driving up the Oregon coast.

The second best was from Washington to Texas but this time driving east with stops in Wyoming for Yellowstone National Park and South Dakota for Mount Rushmore.

Lets see, the only USA States I have not been in are Minnesota, Wisconsin, and from New York up...excluding Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut.

I think my next road trip should be through the New England states.
Old 05-07-2023, 08:50 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We did Michigan to Yellowstone during covid and it was amazing. Nothing planned this year.

We did a smaller trip last year to Branson checking out Route 66 along the way, hitting OK, AR, and KS.
Old 05-07-2023, 08:57 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love road trips- but my husband usually can't take off that much of work. We did Wisconsin to Galveston last year - he was able to work remotely as his company didn't call everyone back into the office yet. This spring - we did a road trip with my parents from WI to Jacksonville FL, Savannah and Charleston... and hubby flew down to meet us.

I would love to do an RV trip around the western national park loop.
Old 05-07-2023, 09:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by armygrl View Post
My best road trip was from San Antonio, Texas all the way up to Tacoma, Washington. There were stops in Roswell, New Mexico; Flagstaff, Arizona to see the Grand Canyon; Modesto, California (more for convenience); Northern California for the Red Woods; and driving up the Oregon coast.

The second best was from Washington to Texas but this time driving east with stops in Wyoming for Yellowstone National Park and South Dakota for Mount Rushmore.

Lets see, the only USA States I have not been in are Minnesota, Wisconsin, and from New York up...excluding Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut.

I think my next road trip should be through the New England states.
Being that I'm from New England, I agree! Your previous trips sound amazing!

Old 05-07-2023, 09:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
We did Michigan to Yellowstone during covid and it was amazing. Nothing planned this year.

We did a smaller trip last year to Branson checking out Route 66 along the way, hitting OK, AR, and KS.
I've never been to any of those places... Route 66 is definitely on my list!

Old 05-07-2023, 09:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
I love road trips- but my husband usually can't take off that much of work. We did Wisconsin to Galveston last year - he was able to work remotely as his company didn't call everyone back into the office yet. This spring - we did a road trip with my parents from WI to Jacksonville FL, Savannah and Charleston... and hubby flew down to meet us.

I would love to do an RV trip around the western national park loop.
I was scheduled to go on an Adventure Bus trip in June of 2020 through the National Parks.... still haven't made it out there.

Old 05-07-2023, 12:26 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

The longest one I did was huge and had stops in Kansas City, Nashville, Atlanta, Orlando, North Carolina, Washington DC, and Indianapolis. It was the early 2000s so you could just go and figure things out along the way.

Growing up we did road trips, but we hardly road trip now. Just like the next state or two over mostly.
Old 05-07-2023, 02:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We were supposed to do one this past month. Fly from MI to CA and then road trip home through AZ, NM, TX etc. Seeing the sites along the way.

Our family road trips have had some good and bad memories attached to them. We have done MI to Yellowstone via SD and Montana. Aside from some family drama and our friend's RV blowing 2 tires in the SD heat, that was a good one.

I have one planned from MI to Maine through PA, NY, Boston. And home through New Hampshire and other states. Praying one day we will be able to do this one.

Last May my daughter did one from MI to ND with her college friends. They had fun, but some of her friends were not quite road trip travelers.

Planning trips is so much fun to me, so can't wait to see what you and others do/have done!
Old 05-07-2023, 02:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our biggest was 2021. Here is a page I did with the stats...11 states in 2 weeks! It was awesome! We have done a mix of camping and hotels

Spring break 22 we did Arizona and New Mexico (Bandelier National Monument, White Sands, Saguaro, Guadalupe (TX))
We also did this in 2018 where we went to Carlsbad, Albuquerque NM (Lowell Observatory), Petroglyphs, Petrified Forest, Grand Canyon, 4 corners and Zion

Summer 22 we did Oregon, Washington and Montana
Crater Lake, Portland, Mt Rainer, Olympic NP, Seattle, North Cascades NP, Whale watching and then Glacier. We also stopped off at Garden of the Gods on the way home...
All of these we drove from San Antonio, TX to each place

Also in Summer of 22 we flew to Colorado just the two of us. We went to Rocky Mt NP and Fossil Butte before we had to be in Utah for a work conference for hubby. On the way back to the airport we visited the Colorado National Monument...we took the scenic drive too instead of straight highways.

2016 or 17 we met my inlaws in Kentucky and did Mammoth Cave then drove to see the Ark experience then went to St Louis arch, no where Missouri to see the eclipse and then drove home along Route 66. We found odd places to stop...a dragon that breathes fire, transformers, a road that pulls you up hill in Oklahoma

We love road trips...This summer we are going to West Virginia to New River Gorge and Shenandoah NP then beach with family on East coast. Not sure yet if we are driving or flying...
Old 05-08-2023, 10:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
I have one planned from MI to Maine through PA, NY, Boston. And home through New Hampshire and other states. Praying one day we will be able to do this one.
This is an awesome trip! On the way back consider NH, Burlington and Stowe, VT and then Niagara Falls and Canada back to MI. I'll love to see your photos if/when you go!

My biggest, most memorable road trip was MI to MN and then the Badlands, Wind/Jewel Cave, Hot Springs, Mt Rushmore, Custer State Park, Devils Tower, Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons and back home. Amazing trip!

Last edited by bienejen; 05-08-2023 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-08-2023, 12:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We have a road trip planned this summer to Utah and then Colorado for softball tournaments. Not really my 1st choices and we don't have a lot of time to stop for fun stuff, but it'll be fun regardless. We travel so much in the summer for softball, it doesn't leave much time for trips we WANT to take- someday when she's grown and gone, then we'll have our time to explore!

My favorite road trip we ever did was from home (Spokane, WA, eastern WA) up to Canada- We did Lake Louise, Banff, then to Calgary, then down to Waterton Lakes Provincial park, then to Glacier National Park Montana and then home. It was some of the most beautiful places I've ever seen!
Old 05-08-2023, 03:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
Our biggest was 2021. Here is a page I did with the stats...11 states in 2 weeks! It was awesome! We have done a mix of camping and hotels

Spring break 22 we did Arizona and New Mexico (Bandelier National Monument, White Sands, Saguaro, Guadalupe (TX))
We also did this in 2018 where we went to Carlsbad, Albuquerque NM (Lowell Observatory), Petroglyphs, Petrified Forest, Grand Canyon, 4 corners and Zion

Crater Lake, Portland, Mt Rainer, Olympic NP, Seattle, North Cascades NP, Whale watching and then Glacier. We also stopped off at Garden of the Gods on the way home...

Also in Summer of 22 we flew to Colorado just the two of us. We went to Rocky Mt NP and Fossil Butte before we had to be in Utah for a work conference for hubby. On the way back to the airport we visited the Colorado National Monument...we took the scenic drive too instead of straight highways.

2016 or 17 we met my inlaws in Kentucky and did Mammoth Cave then drove to see the Ark experience then went to St Louis arch, no where Missouri to see the eclipse and then drove home along Route 66. We found odd places to stop...a dragon that breathes fire, transformers, a road that pulls you up hill in Oklahoma

We love road trips...This summer we are going to West Virginia to New River Gorge and Shenandoah NP then beach with family on East coast. Not sure yet if we are driving or flying...
Love the page you scrapped for that road trip! Some of these stops is what we were supposed to do for this spring trip. I actually have a notebook where I keep notes for different trips, and will add in places friends have stopped (or even eaten or stayed) during a road trip that sounds interesting! Will have to take some notes on yours! They sound great!
Old 05-08-2023, 03:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienejen View Post
This is an awesome trip! On the way back consider NH, Burlington and Stowe, VT and then Niagara Falls and Canada back to MI. I'll love to see your photos if/when you go!

My biggest, most memorable road trip was MI to MN and then the Badlands, Wind/Jewel Cave, Hot Springs, Mt Rushmore, Custer State Park, Devils Tower, Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons and back home. Amazing trip!
Not sure we would go through Canada, but will look into those Vermont stops! I LOVE to travel, and a goal of mine is to visit all 50 states! Road trips help achieve that goal!
Old 05-08-2023, 03:44 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

No trips here either. My favourite road trips have been
banff/rockies
montana/glacier national park
oregon coast (i would give anything to be able to go back)
vancouver island
Old 05-08-2023, 06:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post

Wow! What amazing trips!

Old 05-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
We have a road trip planned this summer to Utah and then Colorado for softball tournaments. Not really my 1st choices and we don't have a lot of time to stop for fun stuff, but it'll be fun regardless. We travel so much in the summer for softball, it doesn't leave much time for trips we WANT to take- someday when she's grown and gone, then we'll have our time to explore!

My favorite road trip we ever did was from home (Spokane, WA, eastern WA) up to Canada- We did Lake Louise, Banff, then to Calgary, then down to Waterton Lakes Provincial park, then to Glacier National Park Montana and then home. It was some of the most beautiful places I've ever seen!
Yup... time will fly and then you'll be traveling all over lol! I never traveled much when my boys were younger.
I've been on a trip to the Canadian Rockies that was amazing, and I've also been to Glacier. Absolutely amazing views!

Old 05-08-2023, 06:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienejen View Post

That sounds like an amazing trip!
And I would definitely agree with NH, VT and the Canada side of Niagara Falls!

Old 05-08-2023, 06:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
No trips here either. My favourite road trips have been
banff/rockies
montana/glacier national park
oregon coast (i would give anything to be able to go back)
vancouver island
The Oregon coast is definitely on my bucket list!

Old 05-08-2023, 06:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
We were supposed to do one this past month. Fly from MI to CA and then road trip home through AZ, NM, TX etc. Seeing the sites along the way.

Our family road trips have had some good and bad memories attached to them. We have done MI to Yellowstone via SD and Montana. Aside from some family drama and our friend's RV blowing 2 tires in the SD heat, that was a good one.

Last May my daughter did one from MI to ND with her college friends. They had fun, but some of her friends were not quite road trip travelers.

Planning trips is so much fun to me, so can't wait to see what you and others do/have done!
I'm sorry that you weren't able to do the one you had planned last month.

I hope you get to come this way to Maine, MA, NH, NY and PA. It's especially beautiful here in the fall, although summer is very popular too!

Old 05-09-2023, 11:41 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We have a BIG road trip planned for this summer! Somewhat planned I need an official start date so I can make all of our campground reservations.

We're starting here in Anchorage, Alaska and making our way to Columbia, South Carolina with stops in:
Canada, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, Kentucky & Tennessee.
Old 05-09-2023, 11:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
We have a BIG road trip planned for this summer! Somewhat planned I need an official start date so I can make all of our campground reservations.

We're starting here in Anchorage, Alaska and making our way to Columbia, South Carolina with stops in:
Canada, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, Kentucky & Tennessee.
Wow! How long will you be on the road? That sounds amazing!

Old 05-09-2023, 01:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We are taking a road trip next month to celebrate our 42nd wedding anniversary. IL - IN - KY - TN - NC ... staying in the Smokey Mountains for 5 days, then heading back through GA - AL - MS - AR - MO.
We did a road trip from IL to AL last year and stay on the Gulf for a week - then headed over to TX from Alabama. The trek from AL to TX was not a great road trip though - the traffic was horrific!! 10 hours of non-stop bumper to bumper ... we were glad to be able to relax on the Gulf in Galveston for a week though!!
Old 05-09-2023, 03:15 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I would like to take more road trips but need to get some health issues figured out first.

But in 2013 I drove from Ohio to NC to stay with my father for a week (Sat to Sat). When I left there I took 2 days to drive to Orlando and stayed with a cousin for 6 days (Sun to Sat). I then stopped at a friend's place in the Atlanta area before coming home. First time I had ever taken a 2 week vacation let alone driving all of that by myself. Loved it!
Old 05-09-2023, 07:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

In the summer of 2018, we spent three weeks camping and stayed at Yellowstone, Grand Canyon and the Grand Tetons. We visited several other national parks in the area, and it was pretty epic. Would it have been more epic if I hadn't slept on a blow up mattress in a tent in below freezing temps? Yes. But it was still amazing.