Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2015, 05:56 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm
Default what's your biggest phobia?

the irrational crazy fears that make no sense in a logical world, but you're still terrified. it's normal to fear failing your kids, or losing a loved one etc.. I mean true blue phobias :P

I am afraid of trains. All trains. slow trains. fast trains. The bart in California and the subway here. commuter rails.. the lot. THEY'RE ALL EVIL.

i'm also excessively claustrophobic (cant even have a blanket over my head) but i think that one is pretty common :P it makes many moments in my life unpleasant though :P

so spill. tell me why you're weird.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Birds.

Chickens especially! I know, but I don't like them.

Certain little birds don't bother me, seagulls and pelicans are ok, I grew up with those all over in Florida.

And I hate the big, ugly birds.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

ants.
yup, you read that right, ants.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 01-29-2015, 06:06 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaTrish View Post
ants.
connor was terrified of ants from birth - like 7. it baffled me -.-
Old 01-29-2015, 06:10 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Apples.
It troubles me just typing the word.
I can't tolerate the smell, the sound it makes when people eat them... shudder!!! TOUCHING one is totally out of the question. When I buy a new kit with apple stuff in it, I delete these elements immediately. I can't have any inside my house EVER, and my family is not allowed to eat them when I'm anywhere near. And ONLY OUTSIDE MY HOUSE!!! Plus, I don't want to know it... absolutely.
I have NO IDEA why it is like this, but it's been this way since I was a child.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

bridges - I hate bridges.

When we go over them, I have to be in the middle lane - don't talk to me, I won't answer because I'm holding my breath... and I've been on some doozies when I would travel for business... but being a mom, this phobia has increased...

I used to have nightmares when Jake was a baby about bridges crumbling out from beneath us and being trapped in the car, in water, and can't reach around and get Jake unhooked from his car seat. And then get out of the car before the car filled up with water... which I guess leads me to my childhood fear of being trapped under ice... I pretty much told my husband that if he ever... EVER...took Jake ice fishing on the Lake - I would skin him alive!
Old 01-29-2015, 06:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
ants.
I don't like ants either. They bother me more than regular bugs. There are just so many at once!
Old 01-29-2015, 06:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't know if I even have one anymore. It used to be birds. I mean, I would break out in a cold sweat just seeing them. My dd's preschool went on a field trip to a dairy farm and there were ducks/geese/chickens running all over the place and I couldn't get out of the parking lot, even though I knew I was embarrassing myself. BUT, a robin made a nest right next to my house a few years ago and I checked it everyday and was so obsessed with those little babies that I ignored momma dive-bombing me, lol! I still don't necessarily like birds, but I'm not as freaked out as I used to be.

What is it with you all and ants?????
Old 01-29-2015, 06:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

You all have some weird phobias! Haha! (Laughing WITH you not AT you )

I don't think I have an unreasonable phobia. I don't like bugs/spiders/creepy crawly things, but I don't think it's a full blown phobia - I just don't like them. I do have a fear of dying before my kids are grown, but I think every mother probably has that, and it's not unreasonable anyway. And I hate to fail at anything, but that's more a character trait than a phobia.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

nothing really...
Old 01-29-2015, 06:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

ants are eff-ing terrifing.

also
Quote:
Choking on Ants
Siafu ant
Also known as the driver ant, this African species is the only insect known to actually attack and devour humans, although you have to be very unlucky to die in a Siafu attack. These ants are very slow, and blind; unless you are unable to stay out of their way, you really don’t have to be scared of them. Usually these ants feed on smaller animals, but attacks on sleeping people, babies left unattended, and at least one drunken man who broke a leg and couldn’t run away from the ant army, have all been reported. Domestic animals such as cows and goats who were left tied to a pole for the night, and thus rendered unable to escape, have also been known to be devoured by Siafu ants. What makes these insects so scary, is that they can bite and sting, but that’s not the way they kill you. During the attack, they will attempt to go into any opening they can find, including your mouth and nose, and victims are said to die of asphyxia after the ants crawl into your lungs! If that’s not scary…

Old 01-29-2015, 06:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I totally reinforce my fear of them on a regular basis. lol

Old 01-29-2015, 06:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

When I was like 3 my older brother told me a scary story about a man who would kill people by trapping them in glass boxes and then pouring millions of ants in there and then watch them eat the people alive. It was slightly traumatic.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:37 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I don't think I have any??? I have some fears, but I wouldn't call them phobias.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Trish, did you ever see this Ant Hill layout I did??? Having that in our house did frighten me more than I thought. Those Harvester Ants would LEAP for our fingers when we opened the top of the ant hill!!! I taped it shut with packing tape so they couldn't escape. LOL

Old 01-29-2015, 06:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Fire Ants are nasty & those suckers can hurt you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2015, 07:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't have any true phobias.

I'm afraid of heights and public speaking (which I am working on)

Old 01-29-2015, 07:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
bridges - I hate bridges.

When we go over them, I have to be in the middle lane - don't talk to me, I won't answer because I'm holding my breath... and I've been on some doozies when I would travel for business... but being a mom, this phobia has increased...

I used to have nightmares when Jake was a baby about bridges crumbling out from beneath us and being trapped in the car, in water, and can't reach around and get Jake unhooked from his car seat. And then get out of the car before the car filled up with water... which I guess leads me to my childhood fear of being trapped under ice... I pretty much told my husband that if he ever... EVER...took Jake ice fishing on the Lake - I would skin him alive!
OMG yes!!! I. hate. bridges. Big ones, little ones, in between ones. Especially now that so many of them are so OLD! They've been rebuilding one of the bridges in our city that goes over the interstate and I have avoided that bridge for the past year - will go more than a mile out of my way to get to that side of town and not go over that bridge. It's just not natural to be able to cross a bridge that is only half there. We have a few "singing" bridges here in Maine too that can't be avoided if you want to go to certain places - they shake and "sing" with the wind and you can feel it swaying if you have to stop on it *shudder* I mean it's not so bad that I avoid bridges altogether (obviously that's rather impossible to do) and I can drive across one without fainting, but I do hyperventilate a bit on really bad ones LOL
Old 01-29-2015, 07:04 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm SO afraid of the dark! I don't go outside, and if I come home after dark my heart beats so fast while I make my way from the car to my door (about 5 meters). I hate going downstairs durin the night, because I only leave one small lamp on when I go to bed and it's too dim to not be scary if I for some reason have to get up.

Also bugs. I can't stand to have them anywhere near me.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:06 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have too many to list 1 above the other O.o

Heights really bad.
Spiders (anything crawly really but spiders x1000),
dark/deep water,
jettys/piers I can't walk out on them,
being lost in the bush or lost in general away from civilization,
zombies,
frogs,
snakes/lizards,

I also hate the phone. I'll ignore all calls. Although I have talked to Yari & Amber via FB messenger and I am proud of myself for it.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Only flying (really not flying but fear of being in a plane when it crashes) and snakes. Snakes terrify me. The flying thing I can control. Snakes not so much. They are all over in Florida. My youngest son was terrified of elevators and escalators. My daughter is scared of clowns. Used to be afraid of dolls too. But now she has a daughter so not so much anymore because she has so many baby dolls. My middle son was afraid of heights.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-29-2015, 07:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

needles. Most people think I'm afraid of the pain, but I'm afraid of the needle actually sticking into me and being in me (seriously creeps me out *shudder*) and zombies. I'm terrified of waking up and suddenly living in a world of zombies. Or one of my kids turning into a zombie and eating the other two before I realize what's going on. Or my hubby turning into a zombie and attacking me and the kids. Zombie hubby is my worst fear of all time.

Last edited by adi&co.; 01-29-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:21 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Oh, and vampires. I'm so afraid they're actually real. I can't watch anything with vampires, it gives me such horrible nightmares.

I firmly believe that vampires live in parking houses and barns and would never ever go into either after dark.

I know, I'm nuts!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifilur View Post
Oh, and vampires. I'm so afraid they're actually real. I can't watch anything with vampires, it gives me such horrible nightmares.
this is me with zombies, lol! I swear some sort of parasite or virus is going to attack all of us and turn us into zombies.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Lakes/oceans/any body of water that I can't see what is in there....my friends keep telling me that I'll totally get in the water when we go to Hawaii. We shall see.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:29 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh and the dark was always a big fear. I've suffered sleep paralysis since forever but never knew it even existed until recently. Now I know there's no actual black smoke monsters coming out of the air vent, it really is all in my head O.o http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/...22/4072460.htm
Old 01-29-2015, 07:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flergs View Post
Oh and the dark was always a big fear. I've suffered sleep paralysis since forever but never knew it even existed until recently. Now I know there's no actual black smoke monsters coming out of the air vent, it really is all in my head O.o http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/...22/4072460.htm
My hubby suffers from sleep paralysis also. I remember the first time it happened when we were dating and I kind of freaked out. His whole body will go stiff and he cries out for help. It's terrible!

Old 01-29-2015, 07:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flergs View Post

Spiders (anything crawly really but spiders x1000),
dark/deep water,
jettys/piers I can't walk out on them,
being lost in the bush or lost in general away from civilization,
zombies,
frogs,
snakes/lizards,
Well you live in Australia for a start. All those things are either found in the wild or in your waters. I don't know how you get out of bed each day
Old 01-29-2015, 07:59 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Haha not so much in the wild even. I've had 3 frogs in my bedroom lately. We have lizards in our backyard and a house full of spiders. We can't get away.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:14 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

frogs and toads, especially toads. (ugh, shivering with the willies just thinking about them.)

When we lived in Hawaii there was a huge cane toad that lived under our deck and it used to come out and sit in the middle of the pathway to my detached garage every time the sprinklers were on, I guess because it liked getting misted. I wouldn't even go out the back door if I could see it on the pathway, and would make my husband go out and scare it away so I could get to my car. And then DH deployed and after being forced to walk out my front door and half way around the block to get to my garage (our garages opened onto an alleyway behind the house) rather than, oh, I don't know, get out the garden hose to shoo it away or actually stand up to my irrational fear, I changed the sprinkler timer to go off an hour later just so I wouldn't have to interact with that monster toad!
Old 01-29-2015, 08:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Snakes.

Too many close encounters growing up on a farm... now when I see one at a zoo or reptile park, in a glass enclosure which I know it can't escape from, I still get anxious and my heart races.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:10 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

stomach sickness... and i'm currently a neurotic mess because of it
Old 01-29-2015, 09:30 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Flying. It's terrible, especially because I have to do it so often (I live 18 hours away from home by flying). Last year was bad; with planes disappearing and being shot down and going down in bad weather. I had nightmares for weeks just from the headlines, but I couldn't help but read the heck out of these crashes. I'm kind of morbidly obsessed with it.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

heights, mice, and social situations (I will worry myself SICK about doing something I'm unfamiliar with with people I don't know)

Old 01-29-2015, 10:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the normals, like water, heights, birds and spiders...

but moths are a big one. And getting things (insects) in my ears, which is related to the moth fear. First time ever getting an insect in my ear, I was 8 and an ant crawled way in. I was so sure it was a bee because it hurt so bad. My mom eventually got the ant out. Then about 12, we moved into a new house and slept on the floor before we had our furniture put together the first night... Woke up to a little squarish beetle in my ear. And, when I was about 20, a moth flew into my ear!! I saw it coming out of the corner of my eye, and it just went right in. totally freaked! My brother grabbed a fork and acted like he knew what he was doing lol, trying to get it out. It was so far in, he didn't believe me that anything was in there. It eventually backed out. OMG, I slept with cotton balls in my ears for years! I've had a few more close calls with moths and my ears since then, too. Even now, I sleep with my hair over my ears, and if I'm going to be spending any time outdoors, my hair has to be down. Dh tells me that if I roll over in my sleep, I still fix my hair over my ears.

lol, sorry so long, just felt I had to explain why my fear is rational

Last edited by breakingbrie; 01-29-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Probably falling from heights and sewer grates. But other than that, I may be scared but I do pretty well.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
ants.
My 37 year old brother - stands about 6 feet tall - big guy - is terrified of ants. He will literally run away from them like a little girl. When he was 3 he played in an ant hill and was bit repeatedly by fire ants. He was so sick from all of the ant bites. It stuck with him.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a few things that creep me out enough that I'll dream about them (like scary looking fish or tornadoes) but the only thing that really gets me on a physical level is water (pools mostly) where I can't see the sides/bottom. Large bodies of water don't bother me so much, I can swim in the lake without an issue. If I see a pool that is dark and I can't clearly make out the bottom and sides, my heart starts to race, my palms start to sweat and I feel visibly shaky. This will happen if I'm watching an HGTV type show where they show someone's extreme pool. If the pool is clear and I can see the bottoms and edges, all is well. If not, it really makes me nervous. That said, considering I was nearly drowned as a small child, I think this phobia is probably justified. I also don't like to be in any water that is over my head and I used to freak out when I got water in my face. Both of those are getting much better, but dark water... I can't handle it. I'm told it was late in the evening when he tried to drown me so that probably has something to do with it.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:34 AM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

Nadal, really. I have things that make me vaguely uncomfortable, (flying, driving on cliffs) but no phobias or anything that would stop me from doing something.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Glad I'm not alone in all this!!!

1. Fire - I'm OK with one in a fireplace when it's all nice and proper. I can do a campfire if it's in a nice big ring. But I'm real OCD about the whole thing. Last fall my son's class went on a campout and OMG the boys playing in the fire about sent me over the edge. Thank God one of the Dads was a volunteer firefighter or I would've lost it.

2. Snakes - I always jumped when I saw a garter snake in the yard and my heart would race. But now that I'm in rattlesnake country it's just terrifying.

3. Spiders - I'm getting better about this one, but ditto with the snakes about. We have black widows in California. I do-not leave my shoes outside!
Old 01-30-2015, 02:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
terrified of ants. He will literally run away from them like a little girl. When he was 3 he played in an ant hill and was bit repeatedly by fire ants. He was so sick from all of the ant bites. It stuck with him.
This is both of my boys. When we lived in Georgia, both were covered in ants (at separate times) and it took me spraying them (and then myself) with the hose to get them all off, it was awful. Those bites hurt!

Old 01-30-2015, 06:18 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Any creepy crawling bugs; ants, spiders, cockroaches, you name them... I hate them!
Snakes! Yikes!
Unbalancing acts... I can't ride bikes, I can't skate. I remember trying ice skating the first time, I was shaking badly and crying...
Dark. Simply because I hate horror/thriller movies...
Old 01-30-2015, 08:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci Reed View Post
Nadal, really. I have things that make me vaguely uncomfortable, (flying, driving on cliffs) but no phobias or anything that would stop me from doing something.
I hesitated to answer because my fears don't stop me from doing something. Just the water thing makes me physically uncomfortable.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thunder.... not Lightning (love that), but Thunder freaks the heck out of me. I can sense a storm coming in my knees, they lock or give out, if a thunderstorm is near even before I hear it. Oh and elevators! Terrified of elevators, when I was 3 I got pushed back in to one in a very busy mall, separated from my family, and stuck on the darn things for quite a while. These days I can go on them.... (faced my fear a few years ago going to the top of the Empire State Building), but it takes a lot of slow deep breaths to make it calmly...... but I have a BAD habit of counting the "weight" that gets in an elevator.... I was first on once, and after a large number of people got on, I pushed my way through as fast as I could to get off.... it was WAY too close to max numbers and I was more than willing to wait for the next one. LOL Oh and since I can't swim, I do panic in water once it gets to a level to make me start to float.... I prefer to just stay out of the deep water.

Last edited by JennNtheBoys; 01-30-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:22 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to danagirl82

I have a fairly irrational fear of murky water, I can't stand to even be near water I can not see through. I am convinced it is filled with parasites and monsters. I am a MAJOR germ a phob. If I hear someone is sick with the stomach bug it sends me into an all out panic. Even if I haven't seen them in months. I begin to clean and make my family take precautions. The worst part is I know it is nuts-but I can't help it!
Old 01-30-2015, 04:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Bugs/spiders really freak me out. I'll go running out of a room. I can handle small spiders but the bigger ones terrify me. I have to leave the room until my hubs gets rid of it or if he's not home, I shut the door and stay out of that room. I got a spider bite last summer when sleeping (it was swollen and red for a couple of weeks and the doc figured it was a spider bite) and I was so freaked out that I had a hard time going to sleep for weeks. Funny thing though, if I have a camera at my face I can get up close and take a pic of it (as long as it doesn't move lol).
Old 01-31-2015, 02:45 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I had to think about this!

Murky, dark lake water. Mirrors in the dark (sometimes not just in the dark). Dolls creep me out, wouldn't call it a phobia, but if there's a largish (or non Barbie) type doll, I don't like it in the same room with me.

My daughter has a huge map phobia. She can't be in the same room with a map or look at one.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I am claustrophobic so anything where I feel I don't have enough air or I feel closed in will make me start freaking out. Like I can literally feel my heartbeat start quickening and my blood pressure raising. Driving in fog or blizzard conditions I believe is what started it and is the thing to get me going the worst. I have to do it for work, but if there was absolutely any way possible I wouldn't, instead I just go into near panic attack.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I am afraid of being trapped! It's a little different than claustrophobia but it freaks me out bad sometimes. If you just hold my arms down I freak out. It isn't a the same as being afraid of a small space. It's hard to explain but it is awful! Hubby likes to show people randomly and grabs my arms and I HATE IT.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Roaches give me the willies, just shudder thinking about them. Don't like spiders either, especially the jumping or fast ones. I also hate crossing over tall drawbridges or even really tall long bridges. I always tend to drive slower and grip the steering wheel very tightly.