Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberK View Post
100% template user here. I SUCK at making my own layouts and get utterly frustrated that I want to hit the computer screen or throw something. So for the sake of my computer and things in my house.... I use templates! LOL.
yep this too! always have used templates or sketches as my start

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 04-07-2012, 11:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would say I do about 80% of the time. I also like to use sketches alot from a variety of sources. I like trying new styles!
Old 04-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love using templates and often resize or rework them to fit my style. I find they inspire me to use more photos or create more pages when I am short on time. I don't think they are cheating - I think I am still creating layouts that have my family's memories....which is what we all do in the end.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use them all the time. Like others I have a limited amount of time and I just don't want to waste it figuring out how I want to start my page. When I paper scrapped I used sketches as a guideline for my layout composition and to me it's the same idea. Many times I delete everything but the photo placement and background paper right at the start and then add all my elements the way I want, but I really hate wasting my time trying to measure and "cut" my papers so they are all proportionate.

I do a lot of quilting and I always use a pattern from a book or magazine - I never design my own patterns - same thing with scrapping.

Scrapping to me isn't a contest, it's a way to preserve my photos for future generations, and if someone doesn't like how I do it they can jump off a bridge for all I care
Old 04-08-2012, 03:02 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I am not good at scrapping without templates.....you have to know your negatives right???? And more than that.....I LOVE THEM!!
Old 04-08-2012, 05:14 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Lately, I've been using templates a lot, especially with the pregnancy progressing, I seem to lose my mojo in a long run....
Normally, I would try to scrap without template
Old 04-08-2012, 05:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalhartley View Post
I say use whatever you want to tell your stories. They are YOUR stories. Your memories. Your pages.
Exactly my opinion Krystal!
Old 04-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I love templates! I really like the idea that a Designer who has so much more experience than I do, works at and comes up with, something that I never would end up with on my own. I'm willing to pay for that expertise because I like the way my layouts look when I use them. I especially love Cindy's templates and Nettio's! They make me happy.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use templates when require for CT stuff... otherwise not. I take FOREVER with them.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 04-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

In the past, I didn't really use templates that much (when I started scrapping, they weren't really around?) But I did a lot of scrap-lifting, with proper credits of course! Then I noticed I was scrap-lifting pages that were created with a template, which obviously is not cool (IMO) b/c you should just buy the template. I have used templates some over time, but I can see that I will probably use them a lot more going forward. They really seem to speed up my scrapping, which is important to me since I struggle to find time to scrap at all!

(I just uploaded a LO using one of Cindy's templates, actually- very fun to use! )
Old 04-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Just wondering... those of you who are 100% template users (or close), did you digiscrap before templates were available? When I first started there weren't templates but I'm old so I am wondering about the rest of you. If so, when did you decide that it was 'okay' to use them? Right away, or was there something that drew you towards them?

I never felt it was 'okay' to use a template until I realized I just didn't have time to scrap without using them, at least part of the time.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i started using them about a year ago after HATING them for years. i've found that they actually speed up my scrapping process.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I don't think it's cheating at all...but I personally can't use templates!!! It seems to take me 3 times as long as to do a page with a template then if I just do one from scratch!!! I typically only use templates if my designers are releasing them or if I'm scrapping like December Daily!!! I checked my last 4 pages and other then December Daily I only had 6 pages made from templates.

I say to each there own...there is no right or wrong way to scrap your memories!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Last edited by mummytothree; 04-08-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

When I first started scrapping, I didn't use them at all. I didn't get much done either. When I discovered Cindy's templates, I was thrilled. I get to scrap like a superstar and I get more layouts done. This weekend I did three pages, two with Cindy's templates and one with my own composition. I'm happy with all three.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

well... I'm cheap... so it took me a long time to buy templates

I started out with the TOTM templates from Darcy... because it would help me get an extra point on the portfolios... but I made sure I'd use them all because I didn't like buying them... don't tell Darcy LOLOL... I just figure if I like something in the gallery I can lift it myself... why buy them LOL... then I realized that I like templates and they make creating a page that I don't already have a vision for, go faster... then I joined several template creative teams... my thing though is that I don't stick to one style and my style is pretty much according to the kit... so if I'm going to use a template I try to find something that matches what I have in mind... so sometimes it actually takes me tons longer to use a template than to just do what I have in my mind myself LOLOL... like tonight... I used a template on this layout I've been working on all night... and I'm still not done, 3 hours later... saving and going to bed LOL
Old 04-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
Just wondering... those of you who are 100% template users (or close), did you digiscrap before templates were available? When I first started there weren't templates but I'm old so I am wondering about the rest of you. If so, when did you decide that it was 'okay' to use them? Right away, or was there something that drew you towards them?

I never felt it was 'okay' to use a template until I realized I just didn't have time to scrap without using them, at least part of the time.

There weren't templates when I began scrapping either and I did scrap regularly back then. I picked up a few templates here and there but didn't really start using them regularly until 2010 and began using them more and more. I use templates nearly 100% of the time now. I know I can make page without a template but I just don't want too LOL. It was Cindy's templates that really got me into using templates and my gallery reflects that pretty well LOL. Pretty much every page is with one of her templates !

::Tabatha::
proud mom to Gabriel {11}, Tristan {10} Julian {6}, Sophie {3}, Lucius {1} & Ezekiel {5.28.14}
Forever Missing Katriel Star (17 weeks) and Sebastian Judah (14 weeks)
Old 04-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I scrapped before templates were available, but back then I used sketches, scraplifted, and found other sources of inspiration (like all the magazine ad challenges sites used to do). I didn't use them at first because all the directions were for PS and PSE, and I scrapped with another program. When I finally found instructions for using templates in Photo Impact (quite a pain to do, BTW), I started and never looked back. I don't know how long ago that was, but I know I was buying Bree Clarkson's templates way back before she moved to SSD.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Looks like I'm the odd one out who actually needs 2-3 times as long when I use a template. I can create an original page often in no more than 2 hours (maybe a bit more than 1 hr), but a template page takes me like anywhere between 2-4 hours, lol. So, I like doing my own pages. But I'm on Cindy's CT (and did other template designers too in the past), and usually I love every bit of her templates.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I started scrapping before templates, and Michelle Coleman's were the first ones I saw...and I immediately traded in my DIP for PSE so I could use them! I was always doing scraplifts; this made it so much easier for me.

The composition process is SO NOT MY FAVORITE. It's stressful to me; I rarely have a vision for it. That's why I love templates. Sometimes I'll have an idea for a page, and I'll love how it turns out, but mostly I just love looking at my pictures on a pretty page.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use them 99% of the time. I do try to change them up though if I can.

I don't see it as cheating at all. I have no idea why anyone would. I don't make my own kits either!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:34 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I love my templates! I use them 99% of the time. Saves me much time in scrapping to already know how the basics are going to be laid out. Then I can concentrate on making the page mine.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I.love.templates. Period...I buy them-I use them...A LOT-they make my scrapping so much more enjoyable.
In my mind template designing must be much harder than kit designing...I mean all those templates must take so much creativity...I'm in awe of amazing template designers...
Old 04-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use templates most of the time. I do it because it saves me the stress of cutting papers. I stink at that. Sometimes I completely delete the elements on a template and just use the paper and photos and then add elements as I like. S ometimes I spin templates, sometimes I shrink or enlarge. Sometimes I erase half or even combine two templates.

I love them. :-)
Old 04-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2vasquez View Post
I love using templates and often resize or rework them to fit my style. I find they inspire me to use more photos or create more pages when I am short on time. I don't think they are cheating - I think I am still creating layouts that have my family's memories....which is what we all do in the end.
This is me. I also have some files that have parts of templates, so if none of the templates are working for my pictures and journaling (so many don't have enough space for journaling and the size photos I like to use) I can piece together my own. I have folders for rounded rectangles, waves, etc.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

I used to scrap a lot without templates. But, a few years ago, I also CTed for 2 different template designers. I started reeeaaally getting into them lately, templates have changed a bit since I started scrapping of course, as styles and trends change. I totally love them now. I just totally lost my mojo in a bad way lol, and using templates means I can still scrap, instead of sitting in front of an unfinished lo for hours on end because nothing comes to me.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
There weren't templates when I began scrapping either and I did scrap regularly back then. I picked up a few templates here and there but didn't really start using them regularly until 2010 and began using them more and more. I use templates nearly 100% of the time now. I know I can make page without a template but I just don't want too LOL. It was Cindy's templates that really got me into using templates and my gallery reflects that pretty well LOL. Pretty much every page is with one of her templates !
Remember back when we had 'sketch' challenges instead of templates? I think we've been digiscrapping about as long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I scrapped before templates were available, but back then I used sketches, scraplifted, and found other sources of inspiration (like all the magazine ad challenges sites used to do). I didn't use them at first because all the directions were for PS and PSE, and I scrapped with another program. When I finally found instructions for using templates in Photo Impact (quite a pain to do, BTW), I started and never looked back. I don't know how long ago that was, but I know I was buying Bree Clarkson's templates way back before she moved to SSD.
Yep, sketches, scraplifts, etc. I remember scouring galleries for pages to lift or looking for sites with sketches on it (pulling them from magazines, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbrie View Post
I used to scrap a lot without templates. But, a few years ago, I also CTed for 2 different template designers. I started reeeaaally getting into them lately, templates have changed a bit since I started scrapping of course, as styles and trends change. I totally love them now. I just totally lost my mojo in a bad way lol, and using templates means I can still scrap, instead of sitting in front of an unfinished lo for hours on end because nothing comes to me.
I find when I scrap without templates I end up with a lot of layouts that look pretty similar. This isn't bad and I doubt anyone would notice but I get bored with it after a while. I hear you on the loss of mojo.

My first real experience with templates was CTing for someone who started adding templates to their product line. At first I just used them because I had to but then I started getting a few more here and there. I used them ALL wrong at first. I mean, it worked, but it took me twice as long as it should have. I didn't clip my pictures to the photo spot, for example, I resized, twisted, moved, and placed my photo behind the photo spot. Then I selected the area around it on the template layer, went to my photo layer and hit delete. Took a lot longer than CTRL, ALT, G