Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom
Default Dream trip alone with DH

Ok so we have a ton of frequent flyer miles from all our back and forth trips to Hawaii among all the credit card deals my husband does to get free miles. So we have asked his parents to watch our kids for 2 weeks this summer while we go on a dream trip alone.

DH is really pushing Paris, as its the cheapest amount of flyer miles but I want to directly fly into Brussels and not spend the entire day after such a long flight walking around Paris and then an hour and a half train ride to Brussels....It was kinda one of those conversations where I end up saying its too much work lets just cancel the whole trip....I know that's kinda bratty but it was midnight and I was tired. I don't want to cancel the whole thing I just want to be realistic about flying, jetlag and spending an entire day walking around like a zombie.

It's not just a stay in one place kinda trip. It's Brussels for 3 days, fly to Budapest and meet up with our family friends who are visiting their family there and then the last 3 days in Dublin....but adding on the Paris bit too just pushed me over the edge. Thoughts?
Old 04-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm, well, I for one, would LOVE a trip to Paris. But, I can understand if you had your mind made up regarding how you wanted your trip to progress. I have a spontaneous husband who sometimes doesn't understand when I'm attached to an idea of how something should go.

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 04-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I'd do the train It's a once in a lifetime trip. When else will you have the opportunity to so take a train from Paris to Brussels. Besides think how happy your hubby will be?

Enjoy your trip! I went to Europe with my sister a long time ago and it was one of the best vacations ever!

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 04-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If you've never been to Paris, I'd go. After you walk around for a while, you will be glad to get on the train and take a nap. lol

I flew to Australia last year, and we got there in the morning, like 7:00 a.m. I was worried I would be worthless the whole day and not enjoy myself, but it was fine. I was so excited to be there that being tired really wasn't an issue.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm with everyone else, I'd fly in to Paris! Dh and I are great at sleeping on trips so we'd just catch some sleep on the plane or train and enjoy the sites while we were in the city.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That is part of the problem....DH has no issues sleeping on a plane, on a bus, in a car, where ever but I seem to never be able to sleep on planes. I will have to seriously take some sleeping pills to make that happen for me. We went to England in 2003 with our 4 kids and I was awake the entire flight over and then stayed up until it was time for bed there. So 24 hrs of no sleep at all....I was not very pleasant to be with. LOL

The flight he is looking at would arrive around 7:30 am and we can't check into our hotel in Brussels until after 6:00 pm....So I totally get that he wants to see another site while waiting. I am just not sure I am up for more traveling after such a long flight over....
Old 04-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

If it were me, I would probably try and cram in as much as possible!! You will be flying high that first day and walking around in Paris will be an emotional rush!!!! The train ride will be relaxing!!

My 6 week adventure to Austrailia/New Zealand was a boat, plane, bus, car ride adventure....one after another for 6 solid weeks!!! I had 11 flights during that time!! I knew that the chances of me ever getting back there again were slim so I wanted to do as much as possible.....but still enjoy myself!!!!!

Good luck with your decision!!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah I guess I just didn't think about it in the get as many things in as possible. I just was thinking we would do what we were originally planning and wasn't looking outside of that box....I guess he and I need to sit down when its not midnight and decide what we really want to do and see.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm... i feel ya, Kim! I'm the exact same way - I absolutely canNOT sleep in a car/plane/etc. DH and I both prefer vacations that are more laid back anyway, so we'd probably rest most of the first day and do sight seeing the next day. My dream vacation is taking it slow and just enjoying ourselves without a schedule to stick to.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmom View Post
That is part of the problem....DH has no issues sleeping on a plane, on a bus, in a car, where ever but I seem to never be able to sleep on planes. I will have to seriously take some sleeping pills to make that happen for me. We went to England in 2003 with our 4 kids and I was awake the entire flight over and then stayed up until it was time for bed there. So 24 hrs of no sleep at all....I was not very pleasant to be with. LOL

The flight he is looking at would arrive around 7:30 am and we can't check into our hotel in Brussels until after 6:00 pm....So I totally get that he wants to see another site while waiting. I am just not sure I am up for more traveling after such a long flight over....
I was going to ask if you've considered sleeping pills. My DH swears by Ambien - it's gotten him through more than a few across the world flights in the military without all the jet lag. I've never tried it but I would the next time we travel that far because I'm like you - I can't sleep on planes and then I feel absolutely miserable and off the entire the next day. I do vote for Paris though. I mean, it's Paris!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL I think I would take Venice over Paris. We are still looking for the flights and we have discussed the options so we will see what happens. Either way we will be going somewhere for the first 2 weeks in July.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmom View Post
Yeah I guess I just didn't think about it in the get as many things in as possible. I just was thinking we would do what we were originally planning and wasn't looking outside of that box....I guess he and I need to sit down when its not midnight and decide what we really want to do and see.
We actually did the fly into Paris early and then train to Brussels route. In the end, we decided to spend the first night in Paris, and I am so glad we did. We were able to drop our luggage at the hotel early and start sightseeing by noon on the first day, were in bed by 9:30 p.m. that night, packed up and stored our luggage at the hotel for the day, got basically another full day of sightseeing in, and finally took the last ICE train to Brussels. What was surprising is that I didn't feel rushed at all, and my husband (who doesn't sleep on the plane and gets jet lag) did fine and loved it!

[ETA- I have never wanted to go to Paris, but it was on my husband's wish list. I loved Paris. The people were actually friendly (I know, surprise), and it is now one of my top five cities that we have visited!]

Last edited by disneyaddict; 04-11-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
I'd do the train It's a once in a lifetime trip. When else will you have the opportunity to so take a train from Paris to Brussels. Besides think how happy your hubby will be?
I totally agree!! I would do it exactly as your husband suggests.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When I went to Europe I took sleeping pills and a sleeping mask so that I could sleep the whole time. I woke up when we arrived and it was morning anyways so I was good to go and didn't have jet lag. maybe the sleeping mask and sleeping pill would work? It's a big bummer if they don't but totally worth it if they do. Paris sounds so fun...and so does the rest of it! Its going to be wonderful!

Old 04-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I dont know what your feelings are on Paris, but friends of ours went there (after thinking it would be all cheesey and over rated) and LOVED it.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyaddict View Post
We actually did the fly into Paris early and then train to Brussels route. In the end, we decided to spend the first night in Paris, and I am so glad we did. We were able to drop our luggage at the hotel early and start sightseeing by noon on the first day, were in bed by 9:30 p.m. that night, packed up and stored our luggage at the hotel for the day, got basically another full day of sightseeing in, and finally took the last ICE train to Brussels. What was surprising is that I didn't feel rushed at all, and my husband (who doesn't sleep on the plane and gets jet lag) did fine and loved it!

[ETA- I have never wanted to go to Paris, but it was on my husband's wish list. I loved Paris. The people were actually friendly (I know, surprise), and it is now one of my top five cities that we have visited!]
This is very good to know! Thank you so much. And my thoughts on Paris are what everyone else thinks, rude unfriendly people and has not been on my list at all. IT is however on DH's list so we will probably end up going. I am glad to hear that your experience was good! That helps a lot in making a decision.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

well, i am totally biased because i lived in paris for three years, but i would totally do the stop there! i had never been there before i moved, could not speak a word of french, knew no one - and loved it from the moment i stepped off the plane. it is definitely one of my favorite cities - and it is the perfect city for just walking around. even if you aren't in the mood to do a major museum trip after the flight, you can just stroll along the river, picnic on the grass in front of the eiffel tower, take a boat ride on the seine, relax in the jardin du luxembourg ...etc etc ... i <3 paris ...

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 04-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

If I had a chance to go to Paris, I would be there. Maybe some of the suggestions will help you rest on the plane. My son went to Paris and loved it, but he said Florence was the best city in Italy. I hope you enjoy your trip, whatever you ultimately decide to do.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I say stop in Paris and see what you can!!! It is absolutely beautiful there and one of my MIL's favorite places to go. My DD(18) has been 3 times and I have been once. We literally flew in to Paris the DAY before the US invaded IRAQ in 2003!!!! We saw the invansion as the us troops went in on Paris TV in our room!!! It was a little scary since we were there as Amercian toursits, but NOT ONCE did we EVER encounter anyone that was rude!!! Everyone was absolutely friendly and if I had the choice, I woudl live there Plus how many chances are you gonna get to see the Eiffel Tower