Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2013, 11:30 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Never thought I'd be "that person"...

but... I just experienced that moment when you realize someone is not only un-friended but actually has *blocked* you on FB. It feels like the biggest smack in the face ever. Which I'm sure was the point... but still, ouch.

I realized it when I noticed this person (someone I un-friended more than a year ago) was suddenly never mentioned... not in tags of mutual friends posts or anything. Not even in photos taken of her kids. She was no longer the friend of any of our mutual friends which seemed strange. And when I searched for her tonight she was nowhere to be found on FB. That's when it hit me... I've been blocked!!! And gosh, it makes me furious. LOL. Mostly because, if we're going to be like that I would have liked to be the block-er.

Anyways, thought I would just vent here.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh ouch! For some reason, anything done to me online seems magnified, so I get what you mean. I nearly got into an argument online with stranger.

I found out I'd been unfriended by an old highschool acquaintance some time ago, and I realize it was probably because I had commented on her wedding album and wished her congratulations. Maybe she wanted more privacy or realized how public she'd made her photos, but for whatever reason, I found out she'd deleted her account and created a new one and blocked me :/
Old 03-26-2013, 12:50 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

It might not be that she blocked you. She could've increased her security. I know that people can't search for me on fb because of the privacy settings I have on my fb. I also don't allow others to tag me without getting a notification for approval.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Haha, happened to me, too. Actually with someone I never knew was angry at me, just a colleague that I only talked to when we met on the corridor. But we were always seemingly friendly, and since her Grandma had AD like my Mum, we also used to talk about that. She had me restricted on FB so that I couldn't comment and I didn't think it mattered until I noticed others could comment OK. And then she blocked me for some reason, no idea why. :-) It's not like it's important, but to this day I have no idea what I made to annoy her. I'm sure I could have, without meaning to, but I really don't know. Whatever.

Anyway, I unfriended lots of people, not because I dislike them, but because we didn't interact at all, or because, after the initial hooray of FB, I just found out that in case of many people I just had nothing in common with except we used to go to school together. So sometimes it's not meant in a bad way.

Last edited by adrianka; 03-26-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:55 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

You're so funny Brook. You un-friend her, then feel hurt when she unfriends and blocks you. LOL! She probably did it in reaction to discovering you'd unfriended her first maybe?

Last edited by jacinda; 03-26-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:49 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
You're so funny Brook. You un-friend her, then feel hurt when she unfriends and blocks you. LOL! She probably did it in reaction to discovering you'd unfriended her first maybe?
Haha... I know! I really shouldn't care. That's what DH said when I told him about it. We had a falling out so the unfriending wasn't a surprise for her. I guess I always think blocking is something you do when people are stalking you. So, it just felt extreme to me.... Like now there's no way this person will ever reconcile with me.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:40 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

{sniff} It would totally hurt my feelings, too. But maybe it just hurt her feelings that *you* unfriended her, so whenever she saw you pop up, it made her sad.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
{sniff} It would totally hurt my feelings, too. But maybe it just hurt her feelings that *you* unfriended her, so whenever she saw you pop up, it made her sad.
True. Ugh... sometimes I just hate Facebook.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i'd be like you, brook. totally

Old 03-26-2013, 09:39 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My own cousin unfriended me and blocked me too. Just because I said something to him about how he couldn't make ugly jokes about our family reunion we had last year. He got very ugly and vulgar with me and my daughter on fb and I told him he shouldn't do that and that he owed us an apology so he unfriended us and blocked us. lol no loss really.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Could she just have deactivated her account?

That reminds me, time to go through the friends list.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinaz View Post
Could she just have deactivated her account?

That reminds me, time to go through the friends list.
No, there's no way she did that. She's a pretty "out-there" person and kind of an attention hog, so I can't see that ever happening. I looked up ways to find out if someone has blocked you on Google, and this situation fits the bill. There's evidence of her there... I just can't see her, specifically. KWIM?

But... I'm over it now. Just last night I was totally freaking irritated about it and had to share it with someone (((love you guys!!!)). Maybe because it was late?

Old 03-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm totally blocked by several people. I had a cousin block me and my siblings once. Talk about an awkward Christmas and Thanksgiving. lol He ended up unblocking and friending us a month or two later. Then a whole group (ok, three) of people blocked me when I went off on a friend because she is only ever negative about her children and everything they can't do. She never had anything positive to say about them and I just sort of blew up on her one day... Oh and then there's that one friend who was offended by my breastfeeding posts and comments who also blocked me after I said that I could say whatever the heck I wanted to on my Facebook and she could get over it.

I think being blocked is fun.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 03-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just now noticed that I have several friends who deactivated their account. Most likely it was for Lent (giving up FB). I guess I'll find out on Easter.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:37 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have never noticed I've been blocked (but I probably have been), but I do notice when I get unfriended ... and it always makes me wonder why. I never post statuses on FB, I really only comment on other people's posts and photos.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Sheri - it may be an issue of people cleaning up their lists, nothing more. I know more and more folks are becoming concerned about what is available on FB and choose to make their lists quite small, regardless if there has been interaction.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
Sheri - it may be an issue of people cleaning up their lists, nothing more. I know more and more folks are becoming concerned about what is available on FB and choose to make their lists quite small, regardless if there has been interaction.
I'm sure that accounts for some of them for sure! ... there was a least one, where I was the only one out of a group of people I know that is no longer friends with the person. It was a real head-scratcher for me. I almost considered asking the person, but then decided against it
Old 03-26-2013, 12:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

BTDT, Brook. It bites.

My cousin got into an argument with me and instead of trying to resolve it, she sent me this long emailed list of 'sins' I'd committed in the last couple years. I was upset and told her I needed a few days to mull over what she'd said and what I wanted my response to be.

She blocked me a couple days later.

She also blocked her sister (who is my BFF), too, for no particular reason except that we have a close relationship.

It's been a few months now and while I miss her, I realize that I don't want or need that negativity in my life.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

i have only just started with fb and have only little "friends" and that sits well for me. i use an aka because i don't want to be friended by the hundreds of people of my 5 schools i have been to. if we had something in common, then we'd still be friends (like i am with some of them).

it is so easy to solve a problem in a relationship by simply unfriending/blocking. but the issue isn't resolved and when you meet in real life it is even more awkward.
in the past you simply didn't show up, didn't call or even didn't send a letter (lol).
most people accepted that and you didn't have to unfriend/block to not hear of someone continually.

so while it is not nice to be unfriended or blocked by a person, it may only be the new "i don't call". don't take it too personal. there might be an issue within herself that she has to take care of, that has nothing to do with you.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by navaja77 View Post
I also don't allow others to tag me without getting a notification for approval.
now that is something that i'd totally want to know how to do !

in general, i must be pretty oblivious... i don't think i've ever even been aware of being unfriended. there have been times when i've noticed that my "friend" list number is different than i thought it had been... but when i go to see who's missing from my list... damned if i can figure it out so always figure it was probably warranted, lol.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:53 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaTrish View Post
I'm totally blocked by several people. I had a cousin block me and my siblings once. Talk about an awkward Christmas and Thanksgiving. lol He ended up unblocking and friending us a month or two later. Then a whole group (ok, three) of people blocked me when I went off on a friend because she is only ever negative about her children and everything they can't do. She never had anything positive to say about them and I just sort of blew up on her one day... Oh and then there's that one friend who was offended by my breastfeeding posts and comments who also blocked me after I said that I could say whatever the heck I wanted to on my Facebook and she could get over it.

I think being blocked is fun.
I block and unblock Trish on a regular basis, just to give her happiness!

Living life to the fullest!

Old 03-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My husband and I had a mutual friend unfriend both of us. He is still really friendly when ever we see him and he's never mentioned unfriending us and I've never asked. I figure he probably has things posted he'd rather us not see. We are friends with his ex-wife as well so maybe that plays into it?

I have thought about cleaning up my friend list. I don't design like I used to and I have a lot of people on my list that were originally my customers and friended me before fan pages were popular. One day I might get around to doing a little cleaning but I'm always afraid I'll offend someone by unfriending them.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneofalamo View Post
ROFL
Old 03-26-2013, 07:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ive been unfriended before by some people that were just acquaintances but didn't notice for MONTHS and MONTHS until they commented on another friends post and I was like "wait, why havent i seen them in my feeds in months". Kinda sucks but then I just go on to the next thing. LOL
Old 03-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I've been unfriended by one scrapbooking friend(that I know of) not knowing why. We've even met in person. She's come to my home with another scrapping friend. At first, I didn't realize that she had unfriended me until I see her posting on our mutual friend.

Let's just say it was a bit awkward she she came to my home again with our mutual friend and we were talking about FB... I almost wanted to ask why she had unfriended me.

The only reason I haven't taken it personally is, she did send me FB PM asking me for recipe. I guess, she was just cleaning up her friends list?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
True. Ugh... sometimes I just hate Facebook.
LOL - I was thinking this very sentence - only a few hours ago!! Facebook is waaaay overated!! Oh - and I have been "un-friended" too - but - who cares - their loss!!

Holly
Old 03-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I had a recent unfriending that bothered me greatly. I applied for a promotion at work a couple of months ago along with a many of my friends. I got it, not to sound conceited, but I was the most qualified from experience and time by far. One of the other guys got really upset that he didn't get the position and didn't talk to me for a day. That was really no big deal, he got over it. The thing that bothered me was his wife unfriended me on FB. Seriously, we live only a couple of blocks apart and since he just deployed, I could have been a big help to her. It's her loss, but jeez.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:56 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Ugh I would be upset too Brook.

My MIL unfriended me and my mom b/c we didn't invite her to J's pinewood derby. Mind you, she's not mad at my husband for not inviting her.. just me. She's mad at my mom b/c my mom was there.

She's not a logical individual.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think what bugs me more than unfriending is when I send a friend request and it gets ignored. Oh well, I was only popular in high school.

Last edited by maryinaz; 03-27-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneofalamo View Post
so lovely of you to oblige me.

The main thing about getting blocked that doesn't bother me is that I know each time I have been it's been because I stood up for what I felt was right, or I refused to overlook something that I saw as wrong. I mean, heck, other people could have blocked or unfriended me, but honestly, if I can't figure it out obviously I could care less that they did it.

AND...
I forgot, my step-sister had me blocked for the looooooongest time. Her and her mom (my step-mom) just sent me friend requests at the beginning of the year after like 3 years of having unfriended/blocked me. Since I can't stand either I really didn't care. I wouldn't have even accepted their requests if my father hadn't called and asked me to at least approve my step-mom so he could keep up with pictures of the kids.

Quote:
I think what bugs me more than unfriending is when I send a friend request and it gets ignored. Oh well, I was only popular in high school.
I'm horrible about that. I ignore them until I can figure out how exactly I know the person who sent the request...

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 03-27-2013, 10:45 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I can say that I got blocked because I stood up for something I thought was wrong... So, I'm proud that I didn't sell out and that I did the right thing. But it still stinks to be blocked.

And I'm awful and processing friend requests also. I ignore them until they pile up and then I go through them with a fine tooth comb. Mostly because I'd rather just deny a friend request than accept it and have to unfriend down the road... Because that gets icky.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

Almost a year ago, my own sister did that to me...She has also decided to tell our Mom that I am dead to her. FB can be brutal but maybe it is for the best!
Old 03-27-2013, 03:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Who knows why people do these things, we never really know what to think b/c we can't or won't talk to them.
If it were me I'd be like ahhhh whatev! I un-friended several people when I came back from Vacation in Jan. not blocked that's a lil extreme :|

Old 03-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh the facebok "love".

Old 03-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I do not pay any attention to any of this stuff so people could be blocking me left and right and I don't even know it. FB Ignorance is bliss I guess.

I have been getting a lot of friend requests from people I don't know lately, which I never accept. Why people ask a stranger to be friends on FB is beyond me.

I did refuse a request from my cousin to be friends. He was horrible to me as we were growing up, never my friend, so why start now? His wife, who I do like told me she could not be friends if I did not friend him, so we are not friends either. I am totally fine with it.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was unfriended a few months ago for what I thought was the dumbest reason and it really hurt my feelings. Myself and 3 other girls were friends...our kids were friends. Two of them had a major falling out and no longer had anything to do with each other. I stayed neutral and didn't talk about it with either of them. One of them moved about 20 miles north and we didn't see each other much but we stayed in touch and I thought we were ok. I texted her to get her new email to send a christmas card...no response. The next week I texted to see if her daughter could come hang out with mine. Her response was "she's busy". Hmmm...sounds like she's upset with me. Then I realize I haven't seen her on FB for a while so I check & sure enough, unfriended. So, I texted to ask if she was upset with me and she says, "upset isn't really the word. Just trying to move on and you're just a reminder of what I've lost".

It still bothers me now and then, but I just have to tell myself that her decision cost her another friendship and that it's her loss.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I'm guilty of this. I get a lot of requests, but it's a combination of i'm scared because there are SO many, some of them are people who only see our mutual friends but whom I've never met, some of them i've never even interacted with online, etc etc. :/

mostly, though, it's the first. LOL
Old 03-28-2013, 01:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshobbes View Post
I'm guilty of this. I get a lot of requests, but it's a combination of i'm scared because there are SO many, some of them are people who only see our mutual friends but whom I've never met, some of them i've never even interacted with online, etc etc. :/

mostly, though, it's the first. LOL
I have to say I sometimes don't reply to those, because I have NO FREAKING idea who that person is. You see if they send me their USERNAME/forum name and a STORE name I could figure out who they are.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:16 AM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I don't friend most people who request friendship from me, since most of it is based on my business. I prefer to keep my friends list small and my fan list is where those people need to go anyway since they're interested in my designs, not my life

I've been blocked on FB, for no apparent reason LOL
Old 03-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You can remove yourself from search if you are getting requests from people you don't know. I have my security pretty tight (although FB seems to change it often!) so most people can't find me. I don't FB with local friends, so that's now kind of known and I rarely get random people sending me friend requests.