Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-12-2021, 10:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Mac question - Finder won't show PNG previews

Does anyone know how to get Finder to show the previews of PNG files? It used to work, and now it's sporadic. It used to be that I could slide the zoom in and out and it would react and then show them, but now the only way to see them is open in Photoshop.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-13-2021, 07:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Are you getting low on space on your hard drive? I have that problem... I usually have to do a hard reboot so that it "reorganizes" files and empty the cache.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

How many GB's do you have available on your HD? The other reason they don't show is if the file sizes are too big. A few designers have had issues with their file sizes being huge due to the way their machines save their files - so if you're noticing it with specific designers, that's probably the culprit.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:05 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Maybe a software update messed with your default programs? IDK what caused it, but I've had issues where all of a sudden file types I associate with PS (.png and .tif) all of a sudden aren't showing up and I have to go into my default programs reset them.

Last edited by Tree City; 03-14-2021 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:29 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
How many GB's do you have available on your HD? The other reason they don't show is if the file sizes are too big. A few designers have had issues with their file sizes being huge due to the way their machines save their files - so if you're noticing it with specific designers, that's probably the culprit.
I have about 350 gb left (of my 1 TB EHD). The file sizes don't seem too big

Old 03-14-2021, 09:30 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Are you getting low on space on your hard drive? I have that problem... I usually have to do a hard reboot so that it "reorganizes" files and empty the cache.
How do you do a hard reboot on a macbook?

Old 03-14-2021, 09:31 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree City View Post
Maybe a software update messed with your default programs? IDK what caused it, but I've had issues where all of a sudden file types I associate with PS (.png and .tif) all of a sudden aren't showing up and I have to go into my default programs reset them.
I did think of this and the default is still correct - I've been googling for awhile and trying everything lol

Old 03-14-2021, 04:47 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
I did think of this and the default is still correct - I've been googling for awhile and trying everything lol
Hopefully it either solves itself asap or you figure it out asap! It's so annoying when something like that happens. Makes you realize how reliant we are on those previews!
Old 03-14-2021, 09:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I have about 350 gb left (of my 1 TB EHD). The file sizes don't seem too big
You'll want to look at your computer's HD space (vs. your EHD) since that's what I think "renders" the previews. I've researched this issue a ton and the biggest culprits are lack of overall local HD space and big files and/or those with lots of metadata (within the same folder). Is it universally happening or only with specific designers and/or files? With me, I could see some files and not others ... if that's the case it's 99% likely it has to do with the metadata on the files you have stored.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
You'll want to look at your computer's HD space (vs. your EHD) since that's what I think "renders" the previews. I've researched this issue a ton and the biggest culprits are lack of overall local HD space and big files and/or those with lots of metadata (within the same folder). Is it universally happening or only with specific designers and/or files? With me, I could see some files and not others ... if that's the case it's 99% likely it has to do with the metadata on the files you have stored.

My mac drive with the OS on it is less than half full. It is only with specific designers. How do I change the metadata to fix it?

Old 03-16-2021, 10:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It happens to me sometimes or from time to time, I don't know what's causing it either, but after re-starting my computer, like twice, the preview shows up. A Pain in bum, really.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:07 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
My mac drive with the OS on it is less than half full. It is only with specific designers. How do I change the metadata to fix it?
I wish there was an easy answer, but it's a huge PITB. You can either batch process resaving the files to smaller sizes (I created an action I ran on a couple kits, but it's not perfect and time consuming) or you can buy/write a script that does it. On the customer end, there isn't much else you can do to easily remove the metadata. Once most designers know this is an issue for them, they will buy the script so their products are easier to use. I don't think anyone has figured out why Photoshop saves a bunch of extra data for some users. I know it frustrates the designers when this happens to them, since their customers rely heavily on the previews!

Last edited by SeattleSheri; 03-19-2021 at 02:10 AM.