Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-12-2018, 01:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default What's your voice?

while i was working on my photography skills over the years, I noticed that photographers tend to embrace the idea of being an artist much more formally than what I would see in the digi scrap world.

So I thought it might be fun to do that as an exercise here! It is kind of a fun way to think of your body of work as a whole and to embrace the idea that you're an artist and you touch people through what you do.

The question is: what do you want your work to say to people? (as a means of communicating style or voice)?

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 07-12-2018, 01:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'll go first to kick things off!

my style/voice:
Energetic, vibrant, real-life, imperfect, storytelling

My layouts are messy and scattered, i don't like meticulous planning, i love lots of color and action on my pages! and I'm always going to put 3-5 photos on every page because I want to tell the story of what that moment was like.

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 07-12-2018, 05:29 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

When I was in college taking art classes, style and voice was a HUGE thing and it always stressed me out because I never felt like one word or particular thing defined me. I think because one of my favorite things is to never stay the same for too long. I love to try new styles and find different ways to do things. I like to be eclectic. I like all the colors. All the patterns. This even goes for my house. It's a mess, style-wise, because I just buy what I like. I always admire artists and people who can keep their style consistent and really fine tune it. I have friends whose houses looks like they are from a catalog and fellow designers who you look at their kits and just KNOW it's them. I don't think I'm like that at all.

Last edited by YepBrook; 07-12-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:09 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I'm kind of all over the place as well. My pages tend to be more simplistic but I'm okay to get messy and fill a page to tell a story. I'm drawn to all kinds/types of kits though I like the more traditional kits rather than the artsy ones.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I see myself as a memory keeper and storyteller, not an artist. My brother is a photographer (well, a lawyer who photographs weddings and landscapes on the side), and it's fun to see the difference in our photos when we both shoot the same family event. His pictures are very artistic: close ups of faces with beautifully sparkling eyes, zoomed in detail photos with blurred backgrounds, and posed full body shots. My photos are usually less zoomed, with a lot more of the background included to place the memory. I'm more likely to take a photo sequence that tells a story or captures a relationship between people.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I see myself as a memory keeper and storyteller, not an artist. ... I'm more likely to take a photo sequence that tells a story or captures a relationship between people.
this is me too! I honestly never embraced the whole artist thing. I always felt like "i'm not really creating anything, i'm just telling the story" But I really do enjoy being a bit more intentional with the emotion and perspective behind what I'm creating, whether it's taking a photo or now making a scrapbook page!

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 07-12-2018, 11:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm new to your work Brooke and I definitely see that you seem to be consistently bold and eclectic with your kits! so many wonderful options for us scrappers But yes, I know what you mean - some designers have very specific styles. I'm like you with my house too - I am drawn to things that I love. I have a particular affinity for stripes (what is that even all about??). if I dont' love it, I don't want it around!

:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
When I was in college taking art classes, style and voice was a HUGE thing and it always stressed me out because I never felt like one word or particular thing defined me. I think because one of my favorite things is to never stay the same for too long. I love to try new styles and find different ways to do things. I like to be eclectic. I like all the colors. All the patterns. This even goes for my house. It's a mess, style-wise, because I just buy what I like. I always admire artists and people who can keep their style consistent and really fine tune it. I have friends whose houses looks like they are from a catalog and fellow designers who you look at their kits and just KNOW it's them. I don't think I'm like that at all.

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 07-13-2018, 12:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh my I don't think your pages are simplistic at all! i already poked around in your gallery when I saw your pocket page LO on the blog. I too am drawn to all kinds of kits. I feel like the kit itself helps me figure out how to tell the story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie C View Post
I'm kind of all over the place as well. My pages tend to be more simplistic but I'm okay to get messy and fill a page to tell a story. I'm drawn to all kinds/types of kits though I like the more traditional kits rather than the artsy ones.

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 07-13-2018, 03:59 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I always wish to be one of those people you mentioned to have houses like they're from a catalog! But, somehow, I am far from it! Haha!
I don't know how to describe myself, I don't like mess, but I am not that crazy tidy either. In terms of scrapbooking, I like clusters and mostly do one photo each page, unless if I use templates. I am like to try different scrapbook styles too, when I have the chance
Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
Old 07-13-2018, 11:59 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am definitely a storyteller and not a photographer. My photos are average, and I'm okay with that. I don't scrap to showcase my photos. I scrap to tell my stories, and the photos make my stories more interesting to other people.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

my scrapping is all for my kids. I even journal pages for their books in their voices. I want the pages to be them telling the stories. I'm just putting it together, they're the storyteller!

Old 07-22-2018, 02:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
my scrapping is all for my kids. I even journal pages for their books in their voices. I want the pages to be them telling the stories. I'm just putting it together, they're the storyteller!
I would have to say this is what I do as well...it's all from my children's perspective since these are their books I'm scrapping.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love photography and always know what shot I'm aiming for, but don't lawyers have the expertise to shoot in a way that achieves it. It frustrates me. Sigh.

I don't typically think of myself as an artist, but I suppose I am. I guess what I'd like people to say about my photography/scrap pages is that they've enjoyed my composition and that I've captured certain moments in a way that is both visually appealing and potentially thought-provoking (not sure I've totally achieved that, lol). I love trying new techniques too.