Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to danagirl82
Default So what do you do on Valentines with your Fam??

I am a mom to a young family and I always try really hard to make each holiday fun and memorable.
This year I was thinking of making a special family dinner (ie candels and red plates -valentine themed food).
This got me wondering what traditions you lovely ladies have.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't managed this every year but most years I make a heart shaped cake for dessert. We give the kids valentine cards and spend the evening with them doing something as a family. One year we gave each of the kids very small toys (like $5ish) and played with them, another year we got some new books to read. We focus on the idea that it's a day to celebrate how much we love each other - the kids have always thought it was pretty fun.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For some reason, this year I am really wanting to get into it more with the girls. I'm making little valentine chair backers for whatever valentine's dad picks up for them and a valentine countdown calendar (14 days). I haven't decided what else we'll do, but I can't wait to hear other ideas!

One thing we have done for the past few years is put red butcher paper or poster board on everyone's doors (or two for the ones that share). Then every day for a week or so before V-day, everyone writes something nice about everyone else. Since my kids are so little, they will either tell us what to write (often something like, "I like to hug her") or just put stickers on... or both. This year I saw a similar idea, they put hearts on the doors that said nice things.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It is my husband's birthday so we have a birthday cake and presents for him. I usually have a little bag of treats for the boys but they get so much at school. We mainly focus on Daddy that day.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I make the kids cards and we have a special dessert. Sometimes we bake it together, other years I buy chocolates for it. I try to spend some extra time doing their favorite things with them, like games, outside time, and messier craft projects. (and maybe there might be a little photo shoot on V Day...) I love the door decorating idea! We may try that this year, modified so Lauren won't rip them all off in the first 10 minutes.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ooh - i like the door decorating idea too! and, of course, the special evening with the family ...i'm going to start thinking about this and trying to plan something out ... i did tell my 3 yo that we could have a valentines party with her cousins, so i need to put that together too

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 01-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We usually make a heart shaped cake or cupcakes (whichever the girls choose) and then I fix a favorite meal for dinner. We try to avoid going out for dinner that day (unless we do takeout) cause the restaurants are always crazy busy! And I also make up goodie bags for the kids, this year will probably be a new Webkinz for each of them, some candy (not a ton cause they do get a bunch at school) and then some little stuff from the Target $1 Spot.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I buy little gifts of chocolates and stuff like that. We have a nice dinner. I try to pawn the kids off....sometimes it works..sometimes it doesn't! I do go overboard with presents for the hubby though. I do'nt know why..lol I just do!