Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2016, 01:40 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default And They Said Watching 'Chopped' Marathons Was a Waste of Time...

After hundreds of hours of Food Network shows, including my beloved 'Chopped,' I finally got to show off my cooking knowledge!

My mom made a homemade bolognese sauce tonight for Family Dinner that came out of the crockpot looking more like soup than a sauce. I suggested she use her immersion blender (and then had to explain what an immersion blender was -- ha!) to break down the tomatoes and meat (pork roast & sausage) into something we could pour over the spaghetti.

I felt so proud of myself like the 'Chopped' judges were watching me from the pantry and slow clapping.

Have you ever learned anything from 'Chopped' that helped you in real life? Or something from another educational-type TV show?
Old 10-28-2016, 09:20 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

That is awesome!! Good job... and good job having an immersion blender - my husband's grandma gave me one a few years back and I've used it like twice. haha

I think I pretty much learned how to cook by watching Food Network. Not that I didn't know before - I learned from my great aunt and mom... but I found my style of cooking from watching Rachael Ray, Paula Dean, Alton Brown, and Bobby Flay. I also learned how to scrapbook from the DYI channel in 2001...

Plus I always learn something from the Real Housewives... does that count as educational?
Old 10-28-2016, 11:36 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I love my immersion blended for making soups.

I got a lot of house style and buying tips from watching HGTV shows.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My 12-year old has learned A LOT watching shows from the Food Network! Between watching the shows, she reads their recipes and makes her own version of what she sees. She's pretty impressive and I wish I could get her formal training somewhere!

I've also expanded my cooking skills and baking skills to these shows as well. I really like Worst Cooks in America, because you are able to somewhat learn a little with them when they do the demonstrations for the chefs to cook in their challenge.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I was going to say Worst Cooks in America too. Chef Anne always has great tips that I actually use, like her tip on scrambled eggs are done as soon as the whites set - my eggs are SO much better now!

I've also watched every season of Top Chef but I'm pretty sure the only thing I've taken away from it is that you too can make simple food sound fancy just by giving it an over the top snooty description. Adam likes to do that all the time.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes...I think little bits and pieces of things get stuck in my head from watching all the cooking shows. I get ideas for things I never would have before. I use a lot more fresh herbs now. I hold the whisk differently than I did before. My knife skills are better too. Sadly, my plating leaves a lot to be desired but I do a few things I never did before i.e. spoon sauce and then smooth across the plate.